Following Xbox Series X Page 203

• Wayne 12 Jan 2021 12:19:08 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @richardiox I'll give it another blast tonight on my own, for science.
  • Britesparc 12 Jan 2021 12:21:28 2,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I played it around Christmas and it was silky smooth, but even though it was theoretically 120fps I couldn't see any obvious boost beyond the 60 it had been before.

I am very, very bad at judging frame rate however, unless I'm literally flipping back and forth between two modes.

Edited by Britesparc at 12:24:14 12-01-2021
  • Baihu1983 12 Jan 2021 12:22:58 13,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MK11 Ultimate looks and plays great on Series X
  • mothercruncher 12 Jan 2021 12:25:24 18,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Weren’t there multiplayer games where the frame rate was tied to ping back in the day? Network might have been strangling your frames man...
  • Wayne 12 Jan 2021 12:28:04 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Britesparc I can easily spot the difference between 30 and 60, but recently had two TVs side by side with Ori running on them, one at 60 and one at 120, and I couldn't see a noticeable difference.
  • nickthegun 12 Jan 2021 12:36:13 84,512 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is anyone having any sound issues? Outputting to Bitstream Dolby Digital seems to introduce a fair chunk of lag.

And the sound keeps cutting out. It seems like, every so often, when you boot a game and it checks what format the sound output is in, the whole thing turns off, no game sounds, no system noises until you change the output settings to something else which seems to reset it.
  • Britesparc 12 Jan 2021 13:27:19 2,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Wayne If I play a game at 60 I can sort of feel that it's a bit smoother, but I certainly don't have that thing that a lot of people on her go on about, where it's a night-and-day difference and so much better, etc. It's more just that the camera feels it's whipping past a bit faster.

When I got my Series X I flitted between 30 and 60 on Fallen Order and I actually found I preferred the 30 "quality" mode, because there was something about that game that felt filmic, and the 60fps mode to me felt like watching a movie with motion smoothing on.

I did the same thing with Star Wars Squadrons, going between 60 and 120, and again I did notice that the 120 mode was smoother and faster, but I reckon if you booted the game up cold and asked me to tell you which mode it was in I wouldn't be able to do it (in Squadron's case I've stuck with 120fps as I prefer the very slightly faster feel to the controls).
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 13:36:36 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    120fps is less likely to be something you're going to see so much as something you're going to feel when you're actually playing it. That's why it's sometimes worth sacrificing some visual fidelity to hit the higher refresh rate. Or go on PC and both have the cake and eat it, obvs.
  • Britesparc 12 Jan 2021 13:37:53 2,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When I'm saying I "noticed" it, I'm mostly talking about the feel of it tbh. I don't "feel" that 60fps is so night-and-day different to 30, not the way others seem to.

Nine times out of ten I'd rather have a lower fps and better graphics.
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 13:38:58 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Depends on the genre, but it's telling that a bunch of people who previously claimed not to care or notice are shitting their pants with glee at Valhalla at 60. :)
  • imamazed 12 Jan 2021 13:39:55 6,551 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought Quality mode on Fallen Order on series x was 60fps, because the toggle is meant for One X and is just running on more powerful hardware? I completed it on Quality mode and it seemed very smooth to me - not a fps freak though.
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 13:41:48 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm not a high FPS zealot by any stretch - plenty of awesome games that run at 30. But when you get something at 60 or higher, it really is lovely. Can't imagine many games that wouldn't be improved through being more responsive, even if only in the camera controls.
  • Wayne 12 Jan 2021 13:59:31 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Phattso I would've been in that frame of mind (forgive the pun) about six months ago. But at this stage, I've been playing so much 60fps stuff recently that it's really jarring going back to 30fps.
  • Britesparc 12 Jan 2021 14:00:23 2,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    m not a high FPS zealot by any stretch - plenty of awesome games that run at 30. But when you get something at 60 or higher, it really is lovely. Can't imagine many games that wouldn't be improved through being more responsive, even if only in the camera controls.
    I'd probably agree with you TBH, it's just not something I'm evangelical about. I mean, even on the Xbox One, I knew there were games like Halo and Doom that ran at 60fps, and I could sort of tell, but I didn't inherently prefer those experiences to 30fps games. I guess if you could have, say, Cyberpunk looking exactly like it does on Series X but also running at 60fps that'd probably be nice, but a game like that I'll trade frames for graphics as long as it's still smooth.

And I've gotta say, one of the things I've noticed with the Series X - coming from a launch Xbox One - is how smooth pretty much everything is. Every game runs gorgeous. I know quite a few will have jumped from 30 to 60 with the upgrade but I also think I must have been just absorbing a lot of jankiness and frame-jumping on the Xbox One!

I would've been in that frame of mind (forgive the pun) about six months ago. But at this stage, I've been playing so much 60fps stuff recently that it's really jarring going back to 30fps.
    I do wonder if this is also true, and if I went back to my Xbox One in a year's time I'd be horrified and find a load of games unplayable!

Edited by Britesparc at 14:01:37 12-01-2021
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 14:03:10 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, the OG One was a shitbox. That you lasted so long shows that you're not too fussed by those things. The vast majority of people out there are doubtless exactly the same.

But... BUT! Now that you've had the stability, the high responsiveness, etc. etc. it'll be interesting to see how you feel going back when the real next gen games arrive and 30fps is the norm again. Should be interesting.

I've gone around that loop so many times in my several decades of gaming. :)
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 14:04:39 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    @Phattso I would've been in that frame of mind (forgive the pun) about six months ago. But at this stage, I've been playing so much 60fps stuff recently that it's really jarring going back to 30fps.
    You'll be surprised. I'm going between the Series X and playing TLOU2 on my base PS4. TLOU2 hasn't magically become a shit game in the interim on the basis of its 30fps*. :)

* it's shit for other reasons, like being fucking miserable, having predictable gameplay, and being about a million hours to long :-D
  • Phattso 12 Jan 2021 14:05:36 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Anyway - none of this is solving Nick's audio issue!

nickthegun wrote:
    Is anyone having any sound issues? Outputting to Bitstream Dolby Digital seems to introduce a fair chunk of lag.

And the sound keeps cutting out. It seems like, every so often, when you boot a game and it checks what format the sound output is in, the whole thing turns off, no game sounds, no system noises until you change the output settings to something else which seems to reset it.
  • Britesparc 12 Jan 2021 14:17:56 2,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Talking of Jedi Fallen Order, it's getting a bit of a next-gen spit and polish: https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/jedi-fallen-order/amp/news/next-gen-optimization-update
  • richarddavies 12 Jan 2021 14:46:30 8,107 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    Talking of Jedi Fallen Order, it's getting a bit of a next-gen spit and polish: https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/jedi-fallen-order/amp/news/next-gen-optimization-update
    Nice,

I've owned it nearly a year, but I only got to the first planet then got distracted with other stuff. Gives me an excuse to go back to it.
  • Wayne 12 Jan 2021 14:57:07 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Phattso TLOU2 was my fav game of the last generation. Absolutely loved it.
  • Wayne 12 Jan 2021 14:58:35 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    Yesssss, I was literally waiting for this.
  • richardiox 12 Jan 2021 15:00:45 9,363 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    Reads like it's already out? Will fire it up when I'm out of my Covid isolation.
  • nickthegun 12 Jan 2021 15:09:23 84,512 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Anyway - none of this is solving Nick's audio issue!

nickthegun wrote:

This guy!

Its a weird one. The sound cutting out started after I started plugging headphones into the controller.

Which, tbh, is partly when I started to notice the enormous sound lag through the TV, too.
  • richardiox 12 Jan 2021 15:13:55 9,363 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @nickthegun

The phones jack on the new pad is fucking shit. Every pair of headphone I've tried crackles if I move the jack slightly.

Sounds like your pad part-thinks you've got headphones plugged in?
  • nickthegun 12 Jan 2021 15:22:23 84,512 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nah, it randomly karks it completely even hours after headphones have been unplugged. Even when a headset plugged into the pad, it still outputs sound to HDMI (which is how you can hear the lag). This kills everything, sound to the pad, system sound, game sound, the lot.

Fwiw, the headphone jack has been fine for me. No crackles, really, its just a bit quiet.
  • Baihu1983 12 Jan 2021 15:55:59 13,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Britesparc wrote:
    Reads like it's already out? Will fire it up when I'm out of my Covid isolation.
    Update is available
  • Kilters 12 Jan 2021 16:16:14 630 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @nickthegun

I've had games not resume sound properly when you quick resume. Have to quit game and restart. Has happened with Control, Prey and a couple of others. As for sound quality and lag, the headset plugged into the controller (Windows sonic option in settings) was ok but crackly for me. I bit the bullet and got a Steel series 7X which is very good.

Now I'm trialling DTS and Dolby Atmos but I've no idea if they are worth it and if they enhance all games or just some. The demo for both are impressive but once I load up a game I'm not sure if either are contributing anything....
  • richarddavies 13 Jan 2021 15:58:35 8,107 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A new trailers out for the Medium focusing on the RTX features on the series X and personal computer.

• SiroccoJetProp 13 Jan 2021 18:52:54 351 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @richarddavies that video doesn't mention which platform it's on but given that Nvidia gets a mention I assume it's PC.

Has it been confirmed The Medium will have RTX on series X?
  • richarddavies 13 Jan 2021 19:09:22 8,107 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually I think you're right Mr jetprop. All I can find on the series version is:

The Medium Will Support RTX and DLSS on PC, Ray Tracing on Xbox Series X
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.