Following Xbox Series X Page 204

• Phattso 13 Jan 2021 19:14:14 26,479 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RTX is just the branding on the NVidia cards that have RT hardware. That video is of the PC version.

Series X will likely have something a bit less than what that video shows. By how much we will find out in a week or two. :)
  • SiroccoJetProp 13 Jan 2021 19:45:14 351 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Phattso yea, with them specifically mentioning Nvidia I was wondering if they were only supporting it with Nvidia cards on PC rather than the AMD cards in the consoles. Just googled it and it does state the series X will have DirectX RT. Looking forward to it either way.
  • Phattso 13 Jan 2021 20:07:11 26,479 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aye. Iíd be checking it out either way. GamePass, innit. :)
  • HairyArse 14 Jan 2021 07:56:47 1,456 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Is anyone having any sound issues? Outputting to Bitstream Dolby Digital seems to introduce a fair chunk of lag.

And the sound keeps cutting out. It seems like, every so often, when you boot a game and it checks what format the sound output is in, the whole thing turns off, no game sounds, no system noises until you change the output settings to something else which seems to reset it.
    Are you going through a Sonos playbar to your TV? I had lag on my Play Bar, upgraded-ish to a Beam and still have minor issues. I think it's my TV, though, as I have issues with a Firestick, too.
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2021 08:05:57 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No, to a beam. Outputting to stereo seems fine but Bitstream introduces a fair bit of lag. Other sources are fine, too.

It feels like there may be some kind of processing delay of something.

Edited by nickthegun at 08:06:51 14-01-2021
  • Peet_T 14 Jan 2021 08:45:42 15 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Moving Gears to Tier 2 Variable Rate Shading
  • richarddavies 14 Jan 2021 08:58:31 8,107 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yay?
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2021 09:14:31 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Everyone will be delighted to know that a quick google reveals outputting to bitstream over HDMI has introduced significant lag from back in the Xbox One days, so Im not holding out any hope its fixed anytime soon.

Apparently, DD is actually the least laggy with some people reporting nearly a second of delay with DTS and Atmos and this seems to be the case with a variety of TV and soundbar combinations.

I mean, I know the system software was low effort but to copy and paste the Ones to the point you reproduce the bugs is pretty poor. But, yeah, seems like something to be aware of if youre thinking of taking the plunge and thats how your home theatre is set up.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:15:44 14-01-2021
  • binky Moderator 14 Jan 2021 09:28:17 11,098 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'm getting close to the cut off point of returning my Series X to Amazon thanks to the faulty drive. I've not really been keeping an eye on stock levels, but I presume they are still fairly non-existent?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 Jan 2021 09:34:59 10,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @binky since it's faulty the cut off point will be 12 months from when you had it, probably more if you push hard enough. The 90 days or whatever is just to change your mind if you don't like it. Say what you will about Amazon but they are great for warranty issues.
  • QuickWithKnives 14 Jan 2021 10:03:23 18 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    @binky I know that Stockinformer sent an email yesterday stating that Curryís have them back in stock, so they can be had!

Commiserations to you. Iím not usually an early adopter so Iím pleased Iíve had no issues so far with mine.

Good luck.
  • Cpl.Hicks 14 Jan 2021 10:23:34 86 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @nickthegun

If people are getting a second delay thatís not the Xbox but rather their TVís arc or AV setup. But yeah there is a tiny delay with bitstream. Use 7.1 uncompressed where possible and make sure eARC is set to pass through.
  • Tricky 14 Jan 2021 10:38:21 5,078 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @binky You will be better off returning to Microsoft. Mine failed at the end of December. I got in touch and they gave me a UPS return label, which I dropped off at my nearest UPS collection point on December 21st. Unfortunately the triple whammy of COVID, Brexit and Xmas meant that it didn't actually get delivered to the return centre in Frankfurt until last week. They've just sent my replacement back and I should have it tomorrow, so even with the delay caused in late December I reckon I'll still have it back quicker than I would trying to exchange with Amazon.
  • nickthegun 14 Jan 2021 11:27:08 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cpl.Hicks wrote:
    @nickthegun

If people are getting a second delay thatís not the Xbox but rather their TVís arc or AV setup. But yeah there is a tiny delay with bitstream. Use 7.1 uncompressed where possible and make sure eARC is set to pass through.
    Like I say, it seems to be with a variety of TVs. Ive got a panasonic oled and a beam, Ive seen people complaining with Sony LEDs, LG OLEDS with LG soundbars and so on.

So, yeah, I dunno. Either the technology itself is inherently flawed or the xbox implementation is.
  • Malek86 14 Jan 2021 12:00:06 11,528 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @nickthegun for what it's worth, I had the exact same issue with the PS4. I think it's related to the TV rather than the soundbar or console.

For me, however, DTS was a bit better than DD. Best thing is stereo PCM although obviously you lose surround.

I'm sure this was an issue all the time, but people only started noticing now that they have removed the optical out from the consoles. Yet more proof that it was too early.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:00:29 14-01-2021
  • Cpl.Hicks 14 Jan 2021 12:21:32 86 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @nickthegun

I have an LG CX and a Sonos arc and struggled with a bit of delay with bitstream over eARC. When Sonos added support for multi channel PCM it fixed all my issues as I could use uncompressed.

I also learnt not to use the x360 version of Sonic 2 to judge sound delay on sonics jumps as the emulation has sound lag 😂
  • binky Moderator 14 Jan 2021 12:57:39 11,098 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Tricky Oh that's interesting! I shall look there before packaging up with Amazon. Thank you.
  • Tricky 14 Jan 2021 13:31:08 5,078 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @binky There is a step-by-step process that you go through on the Devices section of your account.microsoft.com page or you can call them up. I did have a problem with the web page process where it kept resetting back to the start so I ended up getting someone on web chat to sort it out (which, because their front line experts process, meant I had to get through one of them first before they passed me on to a proper support agent).
  • Baihu1983 14 Jan 2021 22:41:15 13,130 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Live action trailer for The Medium

https://youtu.be/8Pdww0u3Ky8
  • mothercruncher 15 Jan 2021 08:11:51 18,715 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    5/10.
  • QuickWithKnives 15 Jan 2021 08:45:05 18 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    I'm so pleased :)

As you may recall, I downloaded Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda to my new Christmas Xbox. I've been enjoying them.

HOWEVER

Yesterday I spotted Pillars of Eternity.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Bye bye, life!

Edited by QuickWithKnives at 10:34:21 15-01-2021
  • Wayne 15 Jan 2021 08:50:08 2,316 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:

Honestly, this game is getting overhyped and I guarantee it gets mediocre reviews due to people expecting too much. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a big fan of Bloober Team's games. Loved Layers Of Fear and Observer. But I'm also acutely aware that they're not the most well crafted games in the world.
    Unless they significantly step their game up here, I'd expect a lot of 7/10 reviews.
  • monkman76 15 Jan 2021 09:00:01 17,700 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:

Character models look terrible, why are they showing off the One S version?
  • mikew1985 15 Jan 2021 09:00:33 15,164 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is it getting overhyped? I mean it looks prettyish and I'll play it cause it's on Gamepass but it looks mediocre and I'm not expecting a great deal.

It's maybe getting a slight boost due to being a sort of an early next gen title but that always happens.
  • Fourwisemen 15 Jan 2021 09:02:53 1,034 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Is anyone having any sound issues? Outputting to Bitstream Dolby Digital seems to introduce a fair chunk of lag.

And the sound keeps cutting out. It seems like, every so often, when you boot a game and it checks what format the sound output is in, the whole thing turns off, no game sounds, no system noises until you change the output settings to something else which seems to reset it.
    Are you going through a Sonos playbar to your TV? I had lag on my Play Bar, upgraded-ish to a Beam and still have minor issues. I think it's my TV, though, as I have issues with a Firestick, too.
    I had a Playbar for a few years and when connected via Optical via the TV there was a (to me, but not generally others) a bit of lag. Connecting Xbox directly to Playbar totally removed the lag so was deffo caused by the TV.

Upgraded to Sonos Arc and connecting via e-Arc via HDMI totally removed this issue.
  • mikew1985 15 Jan 2021 11:02:03 15,164 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Was just looking at the Sonos range there, how exactly so they justify the pricing? It is absolutely mental.

Are they really that high end?
  • TommyUnderwear 15 Jan 2021 11:19:31 348 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Was just looking at the Sonos range there, how exactly so they justify the pricing? It is absolutely mental.

I have a few dotted around the house ad office (One and Five) and plan on getting more over time and cannot say enough good things about the sound quality for music. yet to check the beam or arc and not sure I will go for them as the missus tends to hate loud movies in the house. Woe is me, eh?? Can't fault the sound or build quality on what I have and would def recommend them. As good as top class sound bars or speaker setups? Probably not but they do the job for me.
  • mothercruncher 15 Jan 2021 12:07:29 18,715 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cable ironing guys, come on- we know this.
  • mikew1985 15 Jan 2021 13:30:53 15,164 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TommyUnderwear wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

I have a few dotted around the house ad office (One and Five) and plan on getting more over time and cannot say enough good things about the sound quality for music. yet to check the beam or arc and not sure I will go for them as the missus tends to hate loud movies in the house. Woe is me, eh?? Can't fault the sound or build quality on what I have and would def recommend them. As good as top class sound bars or speaker setups? Probably not but they do the job for me.
    They look like they're high quality but the soundbar equivalent is Ä900 and sub like Ä600. Before you even get surround you're already at 1.5k. That seems entirely mental to me.
  • Dougs 15 Jan 2021 14:22:52 97,446 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    For convenience and ease of use, they are hard to beat.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.