Xbox Series X Page 243

• StarchildHypocrethes 25 Mar 2021 12:56:08 33,937 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I hate the PS4 UI. It's a mess. Haven't seen much of the PS5 though.
  • Derblington 25 Mar 2021 13:03:11 35,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    It blows my mind that anyone could prefer this unintuitive mess to the PS4 dash. Despite the PS5 being a couple of steps backwards it's still way better than the Xbox dash.
    This is where I'm at. If they made the UI better I'd be far more inclined to own the console - GP, customer service and everything are all great but I don't enjoy using the machine itself.
  • bzzct 25 Mar 2021 13:06:58 2,506 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh also the fact that putting an ethernet cable into the PS4 doesn't automatically switch to using it like a PC would - it will merrily keep using wi-fi until you actually plough through the thicket of settings and set it up as a LAN connection (and vice versa). Every single time.

That said, needing to manually turn down the TV volume when you plug headphones into an Xbox controller is equally baffling.

Edited by bzzct at 13:09:00 25-03-2021
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2021 13:07:51 87,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I hate the PS4 UI. It's a mess. Haven't seen much of the PS5 though.
    There is literally nothing to it, just a line for your games and they have integrated the store into the bar, for better or worse. The biggest change is that they have reveresed the long and short press function for the PS button which is unbelievably annoying*. Its like the dev version got shipped with the console.

*'Its not annoying it took me ten minutes to get used to therefore youre wrong'

Edited by nickthegun at 13:08:12 25-03-2021
  • bzzct 25 Mar 2021 13:08:11 2,506 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • SnackPlissken 25 Mar 2021 13:31:04 3,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can't say I struggle with the Xbox UI. Literally press the home button and go to games.. all your games. You can even put them on your home page if you want into folders..
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Mar 2021 13:34:41 33,937 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's the big conga line of games on PS4 that I just think is shit. Everything else springing off of it is then just painfully slow to load and requires far more button presses than is necessary.
  • uiruki 25 Mar 2021 13:45:41 5,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The worst part of the PS5 system, aside from them flipping home button behaviour that Iím still not used to after four months, is the way it handles the library. It always defaults to your entire library rather than what is actually installed and you have to press too many directions to change it over. That and the new releases part of the store defaulting to sales ranking rather than whatís actually new.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Mar 2021 13:48:22 33,937 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Although having recently got a Switch, the eshop on that trumps everything else in terms of shit design and performance. Christ its bollocks.
  • imamazed 25 Mar 2021 13:52:06 6,694 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    #Blades4Lyfe
  • JamboWayOh 25 Mar 2021 14:14:04 24,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Can't say I struggle with the Xbox UI. Literally press the home button and go to games.. all your games. You can even put them on your home page if you want into folders..
    Yeah, it's not great but anyone who acts as if it complicated to use and struggled to understand where things are is exaggerating a tad.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2021 14:21:09 87,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    The worst part of the PS5 system, aside from them flipping home button behaviour that Iím still not used to after four months, is the way it handles the library. It always defaults to your entire library rather than what is actually installed and you have to press too many directions to change it over. That and the new releases part of the store defaulting to sales ranking rather than whatís actually new.
    Unless itís just mine, it also orders your games using a method Iím yet to work out. They are kind of in date order but not really.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2021 14:22:59 87,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Yeah, it's not great but anyone who acts as if it complicated to use and struggled to understand where things are is exaggerating a tad.
    Itís just shit and takes too many button presses to get anywhere or do anything thanks to it being app based for everything. Apps are, basically, the root of pretty much everything people hate about it the Xbox UI.
  • bzzct 25 Mar 2021 14:38:51 2,506 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    What user interface since DOS hasn't been "app based"...?
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2021 14:42:14 87,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    More or less all of them
  • JamboWayOh 25 Mar 2021 14:45:40 24,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Itís just shit and takes too many button presses to get anywhere or do anything thanks to it being app based for everything. Apps are, basically, the root of pretty much everything people hate about it the Xbox UI.
    I don't mind it. Like I said it's not great and I abhor how they stealth move shit around so you have to relearn things again but my games are in the same space and whatnot so I just go on autopilot after a while.
  • bzzct 25 Mar 2021 14:50:22 2,506 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @nickthegun Not sure what your definition of app-based is then, or how it is less true of the PS4 (not tried the PS5).

Frankly being able to manually put things where I want on the Xbox dash is about 75% of my relief after five years of using the PS4. Most of the rest is the settings not being in a massive randomly ordered list.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2021 14:51:27 87,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Among many other problems, its the inconsistency it breeds. Settings has its own app, the store has its own app, game pass has its own app.....and the design and navigation vary between them.

And on the home screen theres so much clutter with adverts for shit and stuff in wildly varying box sizes.

I think my fundamental complaint is that there is a complete lack of consistency. Its fucking terrible.

Edited by nickthegun at 14:52:39 25-03-2021
  • Rhaegyr 25 Mar 2021 14:53:50 5,494 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe this should be in the "stupid things that annoy you but shouldn't thread" but I hate how if you've selected GP or Settings it interrupts the flow of games covers/art!
  • andytheadequate 25 Mar 2021 15:32:58 9,567 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The worst thing about the UI is the interface to view and edit video clips from games.

When it doesn't randomly hang, pressing B takes you back to the home screen rather than the list of clips. If there's a few clips to edit then it takes forever to go through them, to the point I've ended up not bothering any more.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Mar 2021 15:45:09 10,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It Takes Two is on sale at ShopTo for £17.85 if anyone's interested. Had this on preorder anyway so dead chuffed.
  • SnackPlissken 25 Mar 2021 16:00:22 3,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any extra button presses is forgotten about with quick resume haha.
  • Your-Mother 25 Mar 2021 16:09:31 8,011 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    uiruki wrote:
    Unless itís just mine, it also orders your games using a method Iím yet to work out. They are kind of in date order but not really.
    The default view decides to merge ďrecently playedĒ and ďrecently purchasedĒ together, although even then it seems to be wildly inconsistent based on how you actually bought the damn thing. If I buy on the ps5 itself, it shows up. If I buy on the web store, it doesnít.
  • Your-Mother 25 Mar 2021 16:11:07 8,011 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My guess there is buying from the in-console store triggers the download in the background and only then pauses to go ďhey do you actually want this downloaded now?Ē

That would also explain why itís such a ball ache when a game has both a PS4 and PS5 version and both decide theyíre going to download together.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2021 16:13:57 87,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Like I say, it feels like a beta. I suppose itís great if you like an austere aesthetic. At least the Xbox ui is fully featured, shit as it is.
  • Your-Mother 25 Mar 2021 16:16:33 8,011 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Go back to the XMB, I say.
  • uiruki 25 Mar 2021 16:18:29 5,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    THEN I FLIP A SWITCH AND FLUFFY IS EVERYTHING
  • Rhaegyr 25 Mar 2021 16:19:30 5,494 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Any extra button presses is forgotten about with quick resume haha.
    Agree with this - Quick Resume is geniunely excellent and probably the best feature of the S (unless Gamepass counts).
  • THFourteen 26 Mar 2021 05:51:45 54,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Argos stock up for collection. Almost gone but I could still get one.
  • filippoganna 26 Mar 2021 09:22:42 106 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I never played Fallout 4 or Fallout: New Vegas. Should I just skip FO4 and play NV instead? It's annoying that NV won't have the lovely FPS boost though. I could play Outer Worlds instead, I guess, for my FO-like RPG fix but I heard it's pish.

Edited by filippoganna at 09:23:22 26-03-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.