Xbox Series X Page 251

• BigOrkWaaagh 13 Apr 2021 17:09:19 10,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I don’t know mate, you’re asking the wrong person. But I see it a lot. Partners complaining because someone bought a new guitar/camera lens/games console. The old cliche of asking a mate if he wants to go for a beer and getting response of “I’ll have to ask the wife”. People struggling to play the game they want to play because their partner wants to watch something on TV.
    This is why remote play is the best thing ever. But also my wife has recently discovered that FF8 is on Game Pass so I definitely have the worst of all worlds.
  • THFourteen 13 Apr 2021 17:21:29 54,913 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    I joined a camera club a few years back and the amount of stories I heard (from men and women) about the lies they had to tell to their partners. “No, I’ve had this lens for ages” and “No, I bought it second hand, it was only £150” after buying a £1,200 lens. People saying they burn receipts in case the other half finds them.
    Depends if the other half works or not right, or has a comparable income. If you decide to start a family with one other person and/or kids, and your other half doesn't earn, then that 1200 could go towards a holiday or a replacement boiler or whatever that the whole family will benefit from. Its not that you shouldn't spend the 1200 on yourself, but sometimes if its a decision on something for yourself or something for the whole family you can see how you might hide it because it's ultimately selfish.

My wife and i dont have the same hobbies, but i dont want to spend my entire evening sitting in my man cave playing games when she is in the front room watching telly so i'll compromise and sit next to her on my switch or remote play device or whatever and chat to her whilst she watches something trashy on telly and i play. Everyone's happy.

You just gotta find what works for you.

PS "my wife says i cant go for a drink / i have to put the kids to bed tonight" - these are excuses i make up when i dont want to go for a drink with you :-P
  • Wayne 13 Apr 2021 17:23:39 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @THFourteen Yep, totally agree with all of that.
    Also, grow a set of balls and say you just don’t want to go for a drink.
  • Hiphopopotamus 13 Apr 2021 17:53:29 268 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ha, stuck with polar opposite. Got myself a Series X, gave the wife my One X and we sold the old S to a mate for cheap.

It's been about 2 months and the wife wants her own Series X .. works both ways. She likes some of my hobbies but wants me to buy all the stuff I'm telling her is so good.. backfired big time..
  • KD 13 Apr 2021 18:57:51 3,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Coop through the Fable sequels with my ex with a One and 360 was fun, having to explain the STD system to her after she browsed my stats, followed by PC and Xbox coop on Ark and a few other games.

The girl after her liked PS2 Kingdom Hearts and WoW, thats a bit too freaky for me.

Edited by KD at 18:58:32 13-04-2021
  • Wayne 13 Apr 2021 19:16:17 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KD Why’s that freaky?
  • KD 13 Apr 2021 19:41:51 3,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bad humour I guess?
  • Carlo 13 Apr 2021 19:57:15 21,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hiphopopotamus wrote:
    Ha, stuck with polar opposite. Got myself a Series X, gave the wife my One X and we sold the old S to a mate for cheap.

It's been about 2 months and the wife wants her own Series X .. works both ways. She likes some of my hobbies but wants me to buy all the stuff I'm telling her is so good.. backfired big time..
    When I had mine, the missus caught wind of it and took it off me, gave me the money and wrapped it up as a Christmas present.

I was in tears, having to wait!
  • Britesparc 14 Apr 2021 10:19:47 2,323 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My wife has got me playing Stardew Valley with her, which is great (it's a fun game), but I do kinda wish we'd play something else once in a while!

I find with a phone, Switch, and laptop, I can always game on something else if the missus is on the TV. I don't feel too deprived when it comes to gaming. But what is irritating is if I want to watch a Blu-ray/UHD. The front room is the only place I can watch stuff like that, so if there's a film like, say, Tenet - which I missed when cinemas were briefly open last year and only got on UHD for Christmas - it's basically me monopolising the front room for three hours to watch a film nobody else wants to see.

(Incidentally, if anyone can recommend another co-op game that can replace Stardew, I'm all ears; doesn't have to be farming, but something relatively relaxing and mostly non-combative. Preferably on Game Pass. Cheers!)
  • Wayne 14 Apr 2021 10:23:05 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Britesparc I used to be married to a girl that wasn't that into gaming, but she'd play all the Lego games with me.
    Also, It Takes Two is probably one of the best co-op focussed games ever made and is perfect for couples to play together. I honestly can't recommend that enough.
  • mikew1985 14 Apr 2021 10:39:56 15,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    @Britesparc I used to be married to a girl that wasn't that into gaming, but she'd play all the Lego games with me.
    Also, It Takes Two is probably one of the best co-op focussed games ever made and is perfect for couples to play together. I honestly can't recommend that enough.
    Uhh, it's way too hard for anyone who has not played multiple 3D games before.
    My wife wouldn't stand a chance with it. My friend that I was playing it with tried to play it with his girlfriend with whom he plays some other co-op games and she was completely lost.
  • Britesparc 14 Apr 2021 10:48:10 2,323 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @mikew1985 she's used to 3D games (she's been playing since DOS prompts were a thing!), she just doesn't like many fast-paced combat games or FPSs. We've played through a few of the Lego games (now we play them with the kids) and Fable. I tried to get her into Halo and even Portal but no dice!

Will try It Takes Two at some point I'm sure but I was kinda after something more chill. Does stuff like Astroneer or My Time at Portia have co-op?

Cheers for the suggestions everyone!

Edited by Britesparc at 10:49:14 14-04-2021
  • monkman76 14 Apr 2021 10:59:50 18,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Britesparc If your laptop will run it, try Sea of Thieves (in cross play with the Xbox).
  • Britesparc 14 Apr 2021 11:54:16 2,323 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @monkman76 do you not need two Gold accounts for that?

Coz if not I'll be trying it with my kids, right up their street.
  • monkman76 14 Apr 2021 13:00:15 18,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Britesparc No, just my one GPU sub works for us both.

Edited by monkman76 at 13:00:32 14-04-2021
  • Britesparc 14 Apr 2021 13:24:43 2,323 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @monkman76 oh cool, cheers
  • convercide 17 Apr 2021 21:39:09 6,500 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Been playing Just Cause 3 on my Series X. Difference is night and day. I gave up on it on the One due to awful slowdown and terrible loading times. It's so much better. The graphics are pretty much the same, but it runs without hitches.
  • Globalmeltdown 17 Apr 2021 21:48:43 1,052 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @convercide it’s brilliant, wish the 4th one was just as good 😢
  • alasdairm 18 Apr 2021 09:03:48 289 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't know where to begin with this one - and to say I am devastated is an understatement

On Friday 9th April my msn email account tied to Live was disabled due to a "serious violation" - Microsoft will not tell you what it is & will not enter into discussion about it

I have now lost access to my Live account of over 17 years & almost 15 years of game saves with tens of thousands of hours associated with it; over 2500 digital games (XB1 & 360 titles) and as much DLC, at a conservative estimate of over £50,000, gift card balances are gone (around £50) & reward points have gone

I had been a massive supporter of the convenience of digital libraries and the usefulness of getting 2 licenses - hardware & personal.

What hurts the most is the sacrifices I have given up in the last 15 years to curate a library that is a reflection of me - not too many sports games, plenty of racers - its not just cars on tracks - a good selection of AAA titles and an eclectic & quirky spread of indies that reflects my personality

I have been gaming for over 40 years and nearly 20 of that mainly with XBox and am really down about this and any enthusiasm I have about gaming has gone.
    This has had a massive effect on me over the last week as I am having what I'd guess are anxiety attacks & barely sleeping & eating

My guess is it is because of buying from multiple regions since the early days of XB1, but I have not heard about bans arising from this and is fairly common in the Xbox community
    I rarely venture online apart from playing with real-life friends

I really am at a loss & don't know where to go now. I don't know if will ever have have any enthusiasm to start over again, it would seem like an abuse victim going back to their abuser if I did

To be accused if something, not told what it is and judgement passed without any right to appeal is outrageous in modern society, but that is what you sign up for with Microsoft these days

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Edited by alasdairm at 09:10:47 18-04-2021
  • Rogueywon 18 Apr 2021 09:22:22 12,272 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @alasdairm Given your previous posts about running emulators on the XBSX, I suspect that's more likely to have led to your ban than anything about buying games from different regions.
  • dfunked09 18 Apr 2021 09:30:50 2,276 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    That's pretty fucked if true. Presumably there would be a lot of noise about this if they'd started banning people for that, but I've seen nothing on Reddit etc.

They banned me from using rewards for some reason, but refuse to tell me what it is or reverse the ban, and I honestly can't think of anything specific to rewards that I could've done. That's a bit easier to live with than an account ban though!

Edited by dfunked09 at 09:31:22 18-04-2021
  • BigOrkWaaagh 18 Apr 2021 09:35:24 10,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can't you ask for all data they have on you under GDPR?
  • alasdairm 18 Apr 2021 09:39:21 289 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon its a possibility, but as I bought a developers license to run the console in developer mode, it would seem unlikey
  • Rogueywon 18 Apr 2021 09:46:05 12,272 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    alasdairm wrote:
    @Rogueywon its a possibility, but as I bought a developers license to run the console in developer mode, it would seem unlikey
    Emulation is... to put it euphemistically... a legal grey area. If you're using it to run actually games, it's highly likely illegal. Unlike Windows, MS keep the Xbox environment as a walled garden and they're not going to want it used for anything dubious.

And I say that as somebody with emulators installed on his PC.
  • alasdairm 18 Apr 2021 09:46:06 289 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Interesting suggestion - I'll definitely look into that

Still don't get how they can accuse you of something, not tell you what it is, find you guilty then punish you

How do I know that they have not made the mistake?
  • captbirdseye 18 Apr 2021 09:46:48 11,143 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wouldn't running any kind of emulator regardless of you purchasing a license still be against T&C's? Also, the ROMs you download are basically piracy.
  • alasdairm 18 Apr 2021 09:51:06 289 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon to be honest I never got round to installing any games on the emulator - I just downloaded the emulator & updated it; I was waiting for more info about compatibility & further updates before using it

I was more enthusiastic about the idea than actually using it

Edited by alasdairm at 09:54:36 18-04-2021
  • Technoishmatt 18 Apr 2021 09:56:22 5,349 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would start getting a lawyer involved. To lose a those games is a massive penalty.

The gdpr thing is a good shout to gather evidence.
  • THFourteen 18 Apr 2021 09:59:25 54,913 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @alasdairm

Is it possible your email account was hacked and someone did something with it that way?
  • Dougs 18 Apr 2021 12:53:43 100,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That was my first thought
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.