Following Xbox Series X Page 257

• erniewhatbert 30 Apr 2021 09:11:13 3,113 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:

Iíve tried game streaming from the console a few times, no more than 12ft from the router and Series X connected via ethernet, using iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Air 4 and still doesnít grip me as a solution that Iíd use with any kind of frequency.
    I put a few hours into Outer Wilds using remote play without much of a problem.

Dishonored 2 is barely playable, however, due to how pixelated the stream gets when in motion. I haven't tried much else yet.

(played on iPad Pro 2018 with a 5ghz router.)

Edited by erniewhatbert at 09:11:56 30-04-2021
  • THFourteen 30 Apr 2021 10:05:39 54,532 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Same experience here with the pixellation. I do actually still use it quite a lot because i tend to remote-play whilst my mrs is watching stuff on the tv.

But compared to the PC streaming options its pretty shit.
  • Britesparc 30 Apr 2021 10:48:27 2,285 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    Just give the Xbox cloud beta a very brief go, tried Hotshot Racing on a 140mb line on a 5ghz connection. In a word...ropey..
    This week I played Hotshot Racing on my phone (100mb line, 5ghz connection) and althought the frame rate seemed quite low, it didn't actually feel juddery or "skippy", and was perfectly playable - and I was using the touch controls, too. Now, I wasn't very good with the touch controls, but I was very impressed with how the game itself ran.

I also tried Forza Horizon 4 on my PC, with a USB controller, and that was quite poor. The graphics looks great for the most part, and the game didn't really seem to hitch or skip particularly, but the lag made it unplayable. It must have been a full second at times between moving a stick and the car turning.

I think sometimes it's luck of the draw, what else is on the line, particular games, etc. I've noticed since I got a new phone a couple of weeks ago that games run a lot better. So swings and roundabouts, I think it will definitely improve. But for now I do agree that slower or turn-based games work best. Slay the Spire plays great on my phone, for instance!
  • andytheadequate 30 Apr 2021 10:50:10 9,544 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried the Xbox streaming on an iPad and it was almost unplayable. I played a lot of games on GeForce Now last year on a laptop and it was generally fine apart from a little bit of lag so I don't think it's my internet connection. I hope they can make it playable though as it's a great idea, especially for slower paced games.
  • paulboy81 30 Apr 2021 13:08:09 462 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Series X in stock at eBuyer if you don't mind an extra controller.

Click me!
  • convercide 30 Apr 2021 17:03:34 6,449 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @erniewhatbert Dishonored 2 is barely playable anyway with its absolutely shocking FOV. I'm sure it's set to 20.
  • Malek86 30 Apr 2021 22:41:32 12,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Trine 4 is currently free for Gold if you live in South Korea. Or if you temporarily travel there, just saying.

It actually looks quite nice in HDR. Never played the previous games, so obviously it's a great idea to start from the last one.
  • mothercruncher 30 Apr 2021 23:05:24 19,221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Do I need to set up some VPN shit on the Xbox or router, or temporarily change my home location?
  • richardiox 30 Apr 2021 23:07:37 9,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another 50 games getting FPS boost next week, apparent.
  • MacReadysChessWizard 30 Apr 2021 23:18:56 112 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    richardiox wrote:
    50?! Jesus, then may I have 60fps Dying Light, Mafia III, Crew 2...ummm...Far Cry 5..
  • spookyxelectric 30 Apr 2021 23:32:06 421 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Do I need to set up some VPN shit on the Xbox or router, or temporarily change my home location?
    Neither. Just go to the page on the Korean site and redeem it with your current account, and it'll work as any old GwG.

Hope this works better

I actually just learned you could do that this week, myself. Works with any GwG from any region apparently.

credit to the GreatXboxDeals subreddit for posting about it.

Edited by spookyxelectric at 23:40:28 30-04-2021
  • Malek86 1 May 2021 05:45:30 12,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Still hoping for some 360 games too.
  • Phattso 1 May 2021 08:46:10 27,101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Iím less excited about FPS boost seeing as it gives it to you with the One version rather than the One X version in many cases.
  • richardiox 1 May 2021 09:13:12 9,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Iím less excited about FPS boost seeing as it gives it to you with the One version rather than the One X version in many cases.
    Only when it boosts 60>120. I'm hoping for a decent swathe of 30>60 upgrades that retain the One X features.
  • mothercruncher 1 May 2021 09:14:27 19,221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @spookyxelectric Brilliant, thanks 👍
  • Malek86 1 May 2021 09:39:16 12,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Phattso I think 120fps might be simply too much in this gen, even for the Series X. Whereas 60fps should be a lot easier to obtain.

Problem is, many 30fps games used dynamic resolution. And those are only coded to drop the resolution when the framerate dips below 30fps, so if the game runs between 30fps and 60fps the resolution will never drop. Rather than get a potentially unstable framerate, they give you the One S version, which the Series X should be able to run no problem. Which is presumably why Fallout 4 and other games only run at 1080p.

Older games didn't use dynamic res, but then older games usually weren't patched with One X upgrades either. Meanwhile, a lot of One X games used dynamic resolution, since at that point it was a widespread technique.

Mind, as a Series S owner, this isn't even an issue for me. I was always going to get the One S version, so the boosted framerate is a big plus with no downsides.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:42:09 01-05-2021
  • IRWATWO 1 May 2021 10:43:43 1,169 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've had my X a few days, already very very happy with how fast and smooth and snappy everything is, every game massively improved from my vaniila Xbox One.
    Wasn't aware of much of the options beyond 1080p and 60hz, my telly is fairly standard, 58" LED. But prompted by the above I checked through all my games and only Fallout 76 has the 'FPS Boost' option, so I turned that on and HOLY FUCKING SHIT !

Thank you all :)
  • Technoishmatt 1 May 2021 11:05:00 5,163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @Phattso I think 120fps might be simply too much in this gen, even for the Series X. Whereas 60fps should be a lot easier to obtain.

Problem is, many 30fps games used dynamic resolution. And those are only coded to drop the resolution when the framerate dips below 30fps, so if the game runs between 30fps and 60fps the resolution will never drop. Rather than get a potentially unstable framerate, they give you the One S version, which the Series X should be able to run no problem. Which is presumably why Fallout 4 and other games only run at 1080p.

Older games didn't use dynamic res, but then older games usually weren't patched with One X upgrades either. Meanwhile, a lot of One X games used dynamic resolution, since at that point it was a widespread technique.

Mind, as a Series S owner, this isn't even an issue for me. I was always going to get the One S version, so the boosted framerate is a big plus with no downsides.
    Is this true? I thought the boost fooled games into still thinking the frame rates were as normal?
  • Malek86 1 May 2021 11:09:29 12,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Technoishmatt nobody confirmed it, but it seems to be the most likely explanation. If those games could still use DRS as normal, the X could simply be made to run between 4K and 1080p, instead of using the One S codepath.

After all, even if the game thought 60fps was normal, presumably it would still not drop the resolution unless the framerate went below 30fps. And that would never happen.

This goes for fixed resoluton games too, however. The thing with FPS Boost is that it probably doesn't touch any of the game code. So if the Series X runs a game well at 60fps in the original One X mode, that's good, but if not, they have no choice but to just resort to the One S version, they can't just run some other resolution at random. That would require an actual patch for the game.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:16:05 01-05-2021
  • spookyxelectric 2 May 2021 17:44:58 421 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WRC 9 is currently £3.19 with Gold, £7.99 without.

Includes Series S|X upgrade
  • filippoganna 3 May 2021 11:17:19 85 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I've been struggling with the WH-1000XM3 for voice chat on Xbox - I can't really hear my own voice (even with in ear monitoring at max), and the audio mix between game and voice chat seems sub-optimal. It's always either too quiet voice or too quiet game audio. Is this an issue exclusive to these over ear closed back cans and would I fare better with e.g. the official Xbox headset?
  • barchetta 3 May 2021 11:24:40 3,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    In ear mic monitoring seems a bit awkward for my SteelSeries 3 bluetooth set too. I need the on ear volume at max, the mic-monitoring setting on the xbox at max and then dial down the xbox-side headset volume down a little.
  • richardiox 3 May 2021 17:17:21 9,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    97 games now support FPS boost

https://www.resetera.com/threads/97-games-now-support-fps-boost-on-xbox.419766/
  • Your-Mother 3 May 2021 17:25:46 7,393 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    filippoganna wrote:
    I've been struggling with the WH-1000XM3 for voice chat on Xbox - I can't really hear my own voice (even with in ear monitoring at max), and the audio mix between game and voice chat seems sub-optimal. It's always either too quiet voice or too quiet game audio. Is this an issue exclusive to these over ear closed back cans and would I fare better with e.g. the official Xbox headset?
    XM3s are bad at any kind of voice chat, it's one of their major flaws. It uses the ANC mics on the side, so not only does it have trouble picking up your actual voice it also captures a load of background noise.
  • Vice.Destroyer 3 May 2021 18:22:05 7,368 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I posted this in another thread, but thought I would post this here, in case it spurs someone else to hardwire. I recently got FTTP in my area. Fastest speed BT offers me is 300mbps. The upgrade in my area was done on a friday. The following Monday, I put my order in on the BT site. 3 days later, my new router arrived. 8 weeks later, they installed the junction box outside my property. This saturday, I hardwired my Xbox to my router. And this is what I enjoy when I download massive games now. Totally worth it.

• MacReadysChessWizard 3 May 2021 18:31:42 112 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    richardiox wrote:
    97 games now support FPS boost

https://www.resetera.com/threads/97-games-now-support-fps-boost-on-xbox.419766/
    Fucking hell! Dying Light and Far Cry 5 among many others...checking now!
  • Britesparc 3 May 2021 18:50:07 2,285 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is it weird that the one I'm most excited about is Lego Marvel at 120fps?
  • Frogofdoom 3 May 2021 18:57:28 17,513 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes
  • Malek86 3 May 2021 18:59:18 12,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh hey, AC Unity running at 60fps again. Time to download and see.

The rest of the list doesn't seem that interesting (except maybe Alien Isolation), but it's kinda funny to see Lords of the Fallen on the list, considering the original Xbox One game ran like a snail.

Also I guess it's weird that Tomb Raider and Shadow got the boost, but Rise didn't.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:01:26 03-05-2021
  • filippoganna 3 May 2021 19:06:27 85 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @Your-Mother I'm not using the on-headset mics - I'm using an in-line mic. It's just they're so isolated when over ear, I can barely hear myself and so I have to turn up the audio mix to privilege voice chat over game audio... and then I can't hear e.g. footsteps.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.