Xbox Series X Page 262

• Vortex808 7 May 2021 22:00:55 15,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tempted to get one (wireless xbox headset) for the boy.

He managed to break his by bouncing it off the floor, so we had to glue the mic on. Now he can't swivel it to mute it.

Missus and i are fed up with telling him stuff and all his mates in the party hearing it.

Admittedly, most of it is just us bawling at him to stop shouting due the the headphone volume being so high. 😃

Edited by Vortex808 at 22:01:37 07-05-2021
  • Reacher 8 May 2021 11:06:42 3,103 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My lad just shouts down the mics non stop all the time.
  • triarii 10 May 2021 10:42:01 468 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has anyone managed to buy a Series X from the Microsoft store using at least some credit from MS/Bing Rewards? I'm nearing £100 in rewards but considering how quickly they sell out once they're in stock I'm not confident of converting the points fast enough.

Once the console is in your basket is it "yours" or is it only after you've paid?
  • oldskooldeano 10 May 2021 13:25:52 3,475 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @triarii you can convert the points beforehand and they have an expiry of 90 days if you think you can get one in that time.
  • stevethemeat 10 May 2021 13:41:56 959 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fancied playing through portal 2 for the first time since the 360, it looks surprisingly great with HDR, still plays amazing as well.
  • Ror 10 May 2021 13:48:00 20,336 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    triarii wrote:
    Has anyone managed to buy a Series X from the Microsoft store using at least some credit from MS/Bing Rewards? I'm nearing £100 in rewards but considering how quickly they sell out once they're in stock I'm not confident of converting the points fast enough.

Once the console is in your basket is it "yours" or is it only after you've paid?
    I think it might be. I stuck one in my basket the day pre-orders went live (early morning, I forget the time now), and then couldn't check out all day as the site was getting hammered. I went back when they were listed as out of stock, in the vague hope it might still be in the basket and the site might now work, and it was still there. I completed the order at about 5pm, and it turned up on release day.
  • Britesparc 10 May 2021 13:56:12 2,320 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    triarii wrote:

I pre-ordered the console direct from MS, thinking maybe there'd be some reward-points style benefit, or at least a couple of quid off from the credit I had. But it never gave me an option, and as it was a kick-bollock-scramble to get one that day anyway, I never really looked into it.

But even though I was signed in correctly and all that jazz, it seemed to go through the whole process as if it was an annonymous account. I just figured it was something they'd done to speed up the process when pre-orders went live. Maybe it's a bit different now, I don't know.

Or maybe I did it wrong...!
  • Schmove 10 May 2021 13:57:40 318 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did the guy who lost his account ever get to the bottom of it? I canít be bothered to scroll back to find out.

Iím not one for pre-ordering usually but I cashed in some MS points last night and bought Chivalry 2. I loved the beta, and the graphics were surprisingly good, probably on a par with recent Battlefield games. Anyone else looking forward to this one?
  • triarii 10 May 2021 14:24:24 468 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I may hold off until stock is more plentiful, I really don't want to redeem the reward points & have them expire without ever getting a console. And it gives me time to collect even more...
  • richardiox 10 May 2021 14:30:34 10,049 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    stevethemeat wrote:
    Fancied playing through portal 2 for the first time since the 360, it looks surprisingly great with HDR, still plays amazing as well.
    Think it got a 4k patch on One X which may explain partly why it holds up. Now it needs a 60fps boost.
  • stevethemeat 10 May 2021 14:46:04 959 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah 60fps would be nice, I've played through Titanfall 2 in that past week as well, the improvement to older games is my favourite thing so far on the X, hopefully Forza horizon 3 will get a boost soon.
  • daver 10 May 2021 23:07:59 129 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hey hey, I saw someone mention on here last week that you can check what games are saved in quick resume. I can't for the life of me figure out where. Were they perhaps talking about a beta test version of the OS? Cheers
  • richardiox 10 May 2021 23:18:30 10,049 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @daver

Insiders only at the moment but it's coming to everyone next month I think.

Edited by richardiox at 23:18:38 10-05-2021
  • daver 10 May 2021 23:32:14 129 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @richardiox

Ah cool. Thought that was the case cos I couldnae find it anywhere! It'll be really handy for remembering the last few games I've been playing - my memory is rubbish....
  • Wayne 10 May 2021 23:46:55 3,942 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Watched a Blu-ray last night on my Series X and Iím now considering selling all my Blu-Rays because honestly, that drone! Jesus. Did they make it intentionally loud just to push people towards digital?
  • vyseofhr 11 May 2021 05:52:39 1,230 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Watched a Blu-ray last night on my Series X and Iím now considering selling all my Blu-Rays because honestly, that drone! Jesus. Did they make it intentionally loud just to push people towards digital?
    I bought the LOTR 4K set at Christmas, itís the only thing I have played on the BR player and I canít say I really noticed any extra noise at all... unlike my PS5, which has slightly better colour reproduction (to my eyes) but sounds like a Hercules.
  • Phattso 11 May 2021 09:05:14 27,302 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My Series X disc drive is also horrendously loud. Seems like a lottery.
  • Britesparc 11 May 2021 10:17:57 2,320 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I feel like the drive is quite loud, but I don't know if that's just in comparison to the normal silent running of the machine. Certainly I'd say that, for the most part, the disc isn't really loud enough to be audible during a film (except in the quiet bits, I guess).

It does vary though; the first disc I tried in it was Into the Spider-Verse, and that really made an awful racket, I thought there was something wrong with the Xbox. I ended up turning the machine on its side to watch the film as that significantly quietened it down. However, that's the only one I'd say that has been particularly troublesome; everything else is below annoyance threshold, if you will.
  • Phattso 11 May 2021 10:26:28 27,302 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Most of my games are digital, but Fenyx has been in the drive for a couple of months as the only physical game in rotation. The few minutes the Series X keeps the drive spun up for on boot (to check licenses I guess, but who the fuck knows) are enough to make me want to gouge out my eyeballs. It's bad.

It was bought from Amazon, and the very moment stock stabilises for a few days I'll be returning it for another unit. Fingers crossed that happens within the first year of ownership.
  • Britesparc 11 May 2021 10:32:43 2,320 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Phattso gah, that sucks. Good luck.

I pre-ordered in November but it was supposed to be a Christmas present so I wasn't allowed to play with it, but all the same I had a day checking it out, and I made sure to run a BD and install off the disc, just to see. I was terrified it'd be broken, because - bit like you - I had no idea how long it'd take to get a replacement.

Incidentally, could you not speak to MS about a repair, is it not covered by manufacturer's warranty? They might get one out quicker than Amazon sending a replacement (maybe, I've not idea tbh).
  • Phattso 11 May 2021 10:37:54 27,302 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Honestly, it has reached the point with GamePass and CDKeys where I'm pretty much all-in on digital only anyways. Fenyx came in a swap with a forumite, and the only other disc games I care about are OG Xbox and 360 titles I might revisit, for which I'll just suffer the noise.

So I'm in no rush, and probably wouldn't be heartbroken if I had to stick with this noisy drive unit anyways. Don't have movies on physical media, the Apple movie sales are frequent and good, and the quality of streaming is fine for my needs.

I think it's just the principle that rankles. I skipped the PS5 because it's hideous, but also because I didn't want to play the noisy fan lottery after the PS4 debacle. So it's galling to have a different kind of lottery on the Xbox side. :(
  • Malek86 11 May 2021 10:55:16 12,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quick Resume doesn't seem to work for OG Xbox games. It's making my Psychonauts run pretty annoying, since the unskippable logos take around a minute to end.
  • barchetta 11 May 2021 10:58:21 3,308 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Definitely audible when Iím watching a film on disc and it has a quite moment. As said above, maybe thatís in comparison to the deathly silence of normal digital-based content Iím using so much.

The question is, do I watch enough films on disc to justify a separate 4K BR player - which Iíd hope had a better/quieter drive system? Probably not enough to spend £250-300 on a player.
  • Rhaegyr 11 May 2021 11:00:50 5,494 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For me it's the pad that's bloody annoying, noise-wise.

The amount of sound the D-Pad kicks out with every 'click' is ridiculous and stops me using it completely.
  • Rhaegyr 11 May 2021 11:00:51 5,494 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Derblington 11 May 2021 12:21:17 35,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    Definitely audible when Iím watching a film on disc and it has a quite moment. As said above, maybe thatís in comparison to the deathly silence of normal digital-based content Iím using so much.

The question is, do I watch enough films on disc to justify a separate 4K BR player - which Iíd hope had a better/quieter drive system? Probably not enough to spend £250-300 on a player.
    Probably cheaper to replace the movies in sales.
  • erniewhatbert 11 May 2021 12:43:40 3,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Quick Resume doesn't seem to work for OG Xbox games. It's making my Psychonauts run pretty annoying, since the unskippable logos take around a minute to end.
    It has worked sporadically for me with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory*

*until I came across a mission-breaking bug late into a mission and gave up, at least
  • General_Martok 11 May 2021 13:05:58 2,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've had my series X for about 2 months...I haven't used the disc drive yet.
  • richarddavies 11 May 2021 13:09:52 8,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    I've had my series X for about 2 months...I haven't used the disc drive yet.
    I've used it once in 5 months and that was to watch a few episodes of Midnight caller, the 80's show starring Gary Cole on a dodgy dvd I have of it. It worked too.
  • oldskooldeano 11 May 2021 13:12:42 3,475 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Iíve had a launch day series X that has been silent when running Blu-ray or disc games, but I have just sent it back for repair as it has a bad habit of just turning itself off during taxing games. Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Outriders and others. Itís well ventilated plugged in itís own power socket etc but it got to the point where it would happen within 5 minutes of some games, so back to Germany it has gone. It better come back fixed!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.