Following Xbox Series X Page 268

• G0atApocalypse 5 Jun 2021 13:41:38 43 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    My Series X just arrived (All Access via Game). I have to wait until tomorrow to play it, judging by current download speeds...

Also bought a "new" Elite Controller Series 2 off eBay. New my arse. Covered in dirt and the rubber grip is peeling off. Fucks sake.
  • Killerbee 5 Jun 2021 14:27:06 5,178 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Is there something up with download speeds at the moment? I set a few Gamepass games downloading to my new Series S yesterday and they were still going this morningÖ I mean, there might have been a couple of hundred gig there, but Iím pretty sure my PS5 and PC wouldíve done that in 4-5 hours, not 14... Itís on a wired connection tooÖ
  • Phattso 5 Jun 2021 14:38:51 27,232 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Killerbee Did you have a game running or suspended? The Xbox OS throttles download speeds unless you quit the running game. Mine goes from 300Mb/s down to about 20Mb/s when a game is running.
  • Malek86 5 Jun 2021 16:17:25 12,088 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Phattso nowadays suspending a game will give full download speed, which is very convenient with quick resume.

Just select the "suspend my games" option from the queue screen and you're set. No need to quit anymore.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:17:34 05-06-2021
  • Killerbee 5 Jun 2021 17:11:54 5,178 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Phattso

Ah, yes thatíll probably be it. Does it not automatically suspend when you press the Home / Xbox button? I guess I need to play around with settings a bit more!
  • Phattso 5 Jun 2021 17:35:23 27,232 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Killerbee sadly not. And yes - I'd kill for an OS option to swap that default behaviour or even an advanced option to manually set the throttle amount.

See what was posted just above about suspending, too. :)
  • G0atApocalypse 5 Jun 2021 18:41:52 43 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    May have to upgrade my TV to accommodate the X. Seems a shame to have VRR capability and no access to it.
  • mikew1985 5 Jun 2021 18:44:38 15,521 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Vrr is silently brilliant. When you have it you don't notice it, but that's the brilliance of it.
  • spookyxelectric 5 Jun 2021 18:56:42 532 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I need to upgrade my television as well, not just for VRR but Dolby Vision as well. But at the same time... argh, that's another grand for QOL features I don't actually need.
  • mikew1985 5 Jun 2021 19:01:35 15,521 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    But they are nice though :D
  • G0atApocalypse 5 Jun 2021 21:26:46 43 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I'm speccing up a bachelor pad and I'm finding it very hard to look past an LG CX65. I mean there'll be like 8' between my face and the screen so it'll be horribly big, but what better way to shoot aliens in the face?

Might go for an Atmos soundbar, too.

Ladies love upper mid-range AV setups, right?
  • Derblington 5 Jun 2021 21:47:03 35,010 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It really wonít seem big after the first 2 weeks. 8í is a good distance from a 65.
  • G0atApocalypse 5 Jun 2021 22:51:09 43 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Sorry, I know I'm spamming the thread, but it's cool to be able to enjoy Control in graphics mode and performance mode. I'm massively surprised I enjoy the latter more because the former looks fucking great.

Series X has given a new lease of life to Gears 5, too. I was very "meh" about it on One X and I love it now.

Even better? Jumping between the two thanks to Quick Resume. I've never been able to enjoy games quite like this by hopping back and forth. Turns out, it's marvellous.
  • daver 6 Jun 2021 01:15:11 127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @G0atApocalypse

It's a very common feeling for folk that have managed to snag a new gen console it seems - I did exactly the same myself. Bought a 4k monitor with freesync and HDR. It's totally amazing. HDR varies massively from game to game so I have it switched off for now, because the SDR on this thing looks so good already anyway. I didn't think Freesync was that big a deal until I found a bit in Fallout 4 with a lot of smoke and light particle effects (I've got the 60fps mod installed). I could tell freesync was kicking in because there was a wee bit of judder, so switched it off in the settings to see - back to the game, and it was shuddering massively at about 35 fps, screen-tearing, the lot. Freesync is like some sort of magic. No idea how it's done!

Edited by daver at 01:17:39 06-06-2021

Edited by daver at 01:20:13 06-06-2021
  • G0atApocalypse 6 Jun 2021 09:01:22 43 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I've got a 4k HDR10 set which is lovely, but I want that VRR support. Also want a bigger set; 48" is too small!

Also, turns out I've already filled the SSD. Since they're pretty much all One games, I clearly need an external drive...
  • Wayne 6 Jun 2021 09:04:39 3,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    daver wrote:
    @G0atApocalypse

It's a very common feeling for folk that have managed to snag a new gen console it seems - I did exactly the same myself. Bought a 4k monitor with freesync and HDR. It's totally amazing. HDR varies massively from game to game so I have it switched off for now, because the SDR on this thing looks so good already anyway. I didn't think Freesync was that big a deal until I found a bit in Fallout 4 with a lot of smoke and light particle effects (I've got the 60fps mod installed). I could tell freesync was kicking in because there was a wee bit of judder, so switched it off in the settings to see - back to the game, and it was shuddering massively at about 35 fps, screen-tearing, the lot. Freesync is like some sort of magic. No idea how it's done!

Edited by daver at 01:17:39 06-06-2021
    Can I ask what monitor you bought? I got a cheap 4K gaming monitor a while back and I really regret it.
  • [maven] 6 Jun 2021 09:11:47 5,785 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    IMO: Nearly all monitors (that aren't like 1k and up in price) have shitty HDR. You either *really* need to spend to get a decent FALD (full array local dimming) display, or a small LG OLED, or sit on what you have for now.
  • InfiniteDan 6 Jun 2021 09:29:11 41 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Check out Alien Isolation on a Series X OLED set up, post 60fps patch. It always looked good, but it's a different game now, not only smoother picture movement from the FPS boost, but a much cleaner image and less pixelated.
  • daver 6 Jun 2021 11:38:56 127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Wayne

Hey, I got the LG 27UN83A off Amazon for £400 - although it's specced for HDR vesa400, the HDR in it isn't at all great, but I knew that would be the case going in, I had done an enormous amount of research and YT vids beforehand. However some Auto HDR stuff can still look really cool with it enabled. I have no interest in 120hz yet, it's a 60hz panel with VRR - I figure I'd get this just now and wait for HDMI 2.1 monitors with bigger framrates and OLED to become the norm and fall in price in a few years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088M5S7NH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you go looking for reviews for it, there aren't that many yet, it's a new model number but is a near identical refresh of the 27 UL/UK/UN 850 line.
  • InfiniteDan 6 Jun 2021 11:51:07 41 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    An exciting development on the horizon is games designed for / with Dolby Vision. I've got an LG CX and I'm wondering whether LG will be able to add support for Dolby Vision for games through a software update? I'm wondering if Dolby Vision for games will work in the same way as for movies and tv.
  • G0atApocalypse 6 Jun 2021 11:59:55 43 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I thought the CX supported Dolby Vision?
  • gamecat 6 Jun 2021 12:25:37 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It does at 4k60, you need to diaable AMD freesyc (can still us vrr just fine). 4k120 DV gaming not working on the cx though.
  • InfiniteDan 6 Jun 2021 14:54:45 41 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I didn't think there were any games out yet that support Dolby Vision? Regular HDR technologies yes, and I think Dolby Atmos, but not DV?
  • InfiniteDan 6 Jun 2021 14:55:14 41 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    G0atApocalypse wrote:
    It does for films and TV.

Edited by InfiniteDan at 14:55:23 06-06-2021
  • richardiox 6 Jun 2021 14:56:53 9,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    InfiniteDan wrote:
    G0atApocalypse wrote:
    It does for films and TV.
    It will for games too - isn't Xbox adding Dolby Vision support later this year?
  • InfiniteDan 6 Jun 2021 15:15:05 41 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    My understanding is that content has to be in/with Dolby Vision for the TV to display in Dolby Vision, otherwise it's "just" normal HDR. And no games have yet been made with Dolby Vision (I think that's what I read).
  • InfiniteDan 6 Jun 2021 15:16:11 41 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Xbox will already output Dolby Vision, from Netflix for instance.
  • Carlo 6 Jun 2021 19:23:24 21,724 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks to game pass ultimate and the killer deal for exchanging old consoles for xbox series gen, my home is now and even tie between 'team green' with 2x XSX and 1x XSS, and Sony 2x PS5 and 1x PS4 Pro.

It's really is a steal.
  • Kernowgaz 6 Jun 2021 19:26:00 239 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    @Kernowgaz I had this exact same problem. Console would just shutdown during Ďintensiveí games like Gears 5, Outriders, FH4 etc. Usually within about 20 minutes.
    Sent it back to Germany under the same circumstances as you, three labels etc. Got it back in about a month with a Ďserviced atí date on the back where the serial number is.
    Console now works perfectly, so they definitely did something but I donít know what.
    Hope yours gets sorted too.
    Itís been stuck in Stanford Le Hope since yesterday morning with this comment beside it.

On the Way
    UPS initiated contact with the sender to obtain clearance information. Once received, UPS will submit for clearance.
    Stanford Le Hope, United Kingdom

I know itís the weekend but did you have any delays like this or know what this means? Am I classed as the sender or Microsoft because thereís no way of contacting me.
  • oldskooldeano 6 Jun 2021 19:43:58 3,446 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Kernowgaz oh my god mate thatís bad. I had the same problem with my headphones. I had to send them back as well with an unrelated problem.
    Eventually Microsoft contacted me saying they hadnít received the yet. My UPS tracker said the same as yours. Yet UPS did not contact me. I rang them three times and each time they said they would ring me back to get some customs clearance information. They never did. Eventually they apparent did send the headphones but Microsoft have still not acknowledged receipt. This is about six weeks now....
    I would get on the phone to UPS and work hard to get it sorted.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.