Xbox Series X Page 275

• Drakesmoke 18 Jun 2021 19:34:47 879 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Killerbee tried Outriders. Was pleasantly surprised for 10 minutes by the atmosphere but the gameplay was just too generic and too janky. Felt like that slightly ropey period of AA games on the 360 back in the day like Bulletstorm or The Line.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 21:54:59 18-06-2021
  • Frogofdoom 18 Jun 2021 19:43:03 17,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gameplay gets a lot better when you get all of your abilities
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Jun 2021 19:45:09 33,944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, keep going until you unlock a couple of powers and some supporting blue loot and then see what you think. It changes up a fair bit.
  • richardiox 18 Jun 2021 19:46:47 10,062 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Drakesmoke

There's nothing that screams "next gen" at the moment but I always enjoy Master Chief Collection for rock solid 60fps/120fps and pristine 4K image quality. Plus Halo is a blast to play.

Gears 5 is a great looking game too, again 4K60.

Basically, nothing is "wow next gen" in terms of graphics but the games with Series X enhancements all tend have rock solid Performance and amazing IQ.

May also be worth checking some old xb360 games that received One X enhancements if you didn't previously own a One X. Stuff like Skate 3 and SSX3 are amazing at 4K60.

Edited by richardiox at 19:47:16 18-06-2021
  • Killerbee 18 Jun 2021 21:01:06 5,232 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Gameplay gets a lot better when you get all of your abilities
    To be fair, I got my first legendary and it did make the shooting suddenly a lot more fun. Iím playing a Technomancer and quite enjoy throwing down my little turrets and the magic rocket launcher / minigun thing.

I think the main negatives are the poor character mobility and somewhat repetitive feeling of the levels - itís too often 3 arena areas with low cover where it just throws loads of baddies at you, and then a boss or CaptainÖ cutscene, sort loot and repeat.

I like it enough to keep playing, but I donít think itíll be one I come back to much once the story is done unless the endgame really shakes things up.
  • Drakesmoke 18 Jun 2021 22:03:48 879 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm just getting really fussy as I get older. Anything where I have to put a load of hours in to get to where it turns good isn't going to happen. Conversely something like No Man's Sky, which on paper could have been written for me, I gave up despite thinking it was really immersive when it started making me mine and grind just to take off. Only kids like games that feel like a job, because they haven't had one!

Gears 5 is actually on my list but I decided to do the older ones and got burned out after Judgement, to be honest it's the only Gears I haven't enjoyed, bit of a turkey.

I'm probably going to stop the thread derail here but I started Resident Evil Biohazard tonight. No it doesn't scream next gen (although I do think the scuzzy look may be aesthetic choice) but I think it bodes really well for following it up with Village, so far, what a game.

I got this console anyway to make sure I had it up and running in time for the big E3 releases later in the year so that objective has been met.
  • G0atApocalypse 18 Jun 2021 22:26:53 121 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The quality of life improvements are incredibly unsexy but also absolutely wonderful. Little things like quick resume mean I can play Control for an hour, have a quick blast on Tetris, then go back to Control feeling more zen. And it just works. I don't know that the graphics are "next gen" but the games look gorgeous and it all just feels incredibly accessible and inviting. I don't feel like I've got to commit to one game for an evening anymore.
  • mikew1985 19 Jun 2021 06:35:45 15,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    I'm just getting really fussy as I get older. Anything where I have to put a load of hours in to get to where it turns good isn't going to happen. Conversely something like No Man's Sky, which on paper could have been written for me, I gave up despite thinking it was really immersive when it started making me mine and grind just to take off. Only kids like games that feel like a job, because they haven't had one!

Gears 5 is actually on my list but I decided to do the older ones and got burned out after Judgement, to be honest it's the only Gears I haven't enjoyed, bit of a turkey.

I'm probably going to stop the thread derail here but I started Resident Evil Biohazard tonight. No it doesn't scream next gen (although I do think the scuzzy look may be aesthetic choice) but I think it bodes really well for following it up with Village, so far, what a game.

I got this console anyway to make sure I had it up and running in time for the big E3 releases later in the year so that objective has been met.
    Lol,I don't know if you've intended to or not but you've stealthily mentioned people can fly games in a negative sense in both of your last posts (bullet storm, gears judgement). Seems unlikely outriders will be the one to get you to turn around opinion on their games.
  • Drakesmoke 19 Jun 2021 08:55:59 879 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mikew1985 none of them are terrible games per se, just a bit generic/unpolished, but no I didn't spot that. Judgement felt rushed to me.

If anybody is interested and I get why you wouldn't be, Cyberpunk on disc is currently £25 at Jacomo or JD Williams. I've bagged a copy at that price because I'm hoping this machine will brute force it to goodness and also because it should mean the XS stuff is delivered for free later in the year.
  • SnackPlissken 19 Jun 2021 10:32:10 3,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ori is kicking my arse in places
  • Timmywimmywoo 19 Jun 2021 10:47:13 105 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

If anybody is interested and I get why you wouldn't be, Cyberpunk on disc is currently £25 at Jacomo or JD Williams. I've bagged a copy at that price because I'm hoping this machine will brute force it to goodness and also because it should mean the XS stuff is delivered for free later in the year.
    FWIW I had a great time with Cyberpunk on my Series X, I completed it in a month in Jan or so. Like you say, the Series X brute forced it a bit. Didn't even have too much jank...
  • Drakesmoke 19 Jun 2021 10:56:23 879 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Timmywimmywoo great to hear as the world and aesthetic looks amazing. I quite enjoyed Deus Ex in a similar vein back in the day. I also have some faith in CDPR after the Witcher 3.
  • richardiox 19 Jun 2021 11:06:17 10,062 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah Cyberpunk on Series X is ok really. Pretty much holds 60fps (and in my case with a VRR TV it's basically locked) and the resolution is fine. Performance isn't an issue. Lots of bugs have been ironed out but the game is still pretty janky but definitely not a "broken" experience.
  • evaluna 19 Jun 2021 11:09:03 59 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Timmywimmywoo I'm about 55 hours in on the Series X & I'm really enjoying it. Had one crash in that time, and a couple of graphical glitches, but other than that it has been fine.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Jun 2021 13:35:37 7,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SnackPlissken Which one? I found the sequel to be a step up in difficulty.
  • SnackPlissken 19 Jun 2021 15:22:29 3,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 first one
  • Kernowgaz 19 Jun 2021 18:07:11 251 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @oldskooldeano Have you had the dispatch email for your headset yet?

I was basically lied to by the Microsoft rep on the phone yesterday afternoon, there was no record of our conversation. I was concerned because I hadnít received an email confirming it so I rang back and the person was great, I emailed back my Amazon order invoice, he said heíd ring when he received it. Of course it didnít come through and he rang me back, asking if Iíd replied to his email with the invoice attached.

I received an email this morning saying the order had been created and now Iím waiting for a dispatch email. Hopefully it will come thru soon to put my mind at rest until UPS lose it again.
  • the_milkybar_kid 19 Jun 2021 20:17:24 8,473 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Am I right in thinking the x come into stock fairly often? I think I need one now. Game Pass is far too much for my weak will.
  • InfiniteDan 19 Jun 2021 20:47:06 142 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Love the Series X. Bought via All Access it didn't even cost anything really. There are many One X games that have been transformed to almost next gen status and are almost like different games. Special mentions for Forza Horizon 4, COD Warzone and Alien Isolation. Paired with a new LG CX it's an amazing upgrade. Game Pass and MS's support for backwards compatibility means that although it's true that it would be very nice if we had some proper made for the next gen games right now, I'm not short of things to play that give enough wow factor and it's not costing me very much, other than Resi Village.
  • DangerousDave_87 19 Jun 2021 21:25:53 7,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SnackPlissken I think it gets easier as you progress. Both games do. It's just the lack of health you have between checkpoints early on that make it feel brutal.
  • Baihu1983 20 Jun 2021 07:33:06 14,309 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid don't remember the last time I saw it in stock.

S seems to become available a lot more often
  • shuffles 20 Jun 2021 08:26:48 332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does anyone know if thereís a site or Twitter user etc I can follow for Series X availability here in Spain?

Literally havenít seen any since I started looking last December. And when I stroll past a Game and pop my head in, they all say there hasnít been any in a long time.
  • shuffles 20 Jun 2021 08:26:49 332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does anyone know if thereís a site or Twitter user etc I can follow for Series X availability here in Spain?

Literally havenít seen any since I started looking last December. And when I stroll past a Game and pop my head in, they all say there hasnít been any in a long time.
  • Killerbee 20 Jun 2021 09:29:14 5,232 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

Keep an eye on Game store Twitter feeds. It might not be much use to you, but my local apparently has stock of Series X in as of 14 hours ago!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/GAMERedditch
  • creepiest-lizard 20 Jun 2021 09:34:58 2,885 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The series s is always available on Amazon. I was thinking of getting one while waiting for the ps5's to get back in stock. Anyone got one who can tell me if its much of an upgrade on a ps4 Pro?
  • Killerbee 20 Jun 2021 09:41:07 5,232 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard

Not sure about the Pro, but Series S definitely faster than the vanilla PS4 - mostly down the the SSD Iím sure.

Itís hard to say whether itís better as thereís still no dedicated Series X/S games that really show it off. Gamepass is great though.

Iím happy with the S as a second console to my PS5, but for a ďmainĒ machine Iíd hold out for the X or PS5.

Oh, and not wanting to promote Game in the slightest, but I think theyíre still doing their trade in deal for Series S (see that Twitter feed I posted) which is pretty decent.
  • hillbilly66 20 Jun 2021 10:21:07 3,467 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just bought a Series S and I'm pretty happy with it but at the moment how games run is on a game by game basis. The basis for most games in terms of resolution and graphics settings is the same as xbox one S, so around 1080p. From here, some games have been given FPS boost upto 60 fps and some games have been given a dedicated XS patch.
  • SnackPlissken 20 Jun 2021 10:30:13 3,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @SnackPlissken I think it gets easier as you progress. Both games do. It's just the lack of health you have between checkpoints early on that make it feel brutal.
    Lava level towards then end itís pretty brutal. Not sure it gets easier. Feels very much like Hollow Knight. Some real brutal sections.
  • oldskooldeano 20 Jun 2021 10:30:25 3,480 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Kernowgaz thatís good mate. It makes you wonder how many times MS have had to do this, essentially write off hardware and send a replacement. They cannot be happy with UPS.
  • Darth_Flibble 20 Jun 2021 10:37:02 5,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Played some of the demos from e3

Deathtrap dungeon - its looks cheap unlike all the other fmv games, guessing its more special effects this time affected the budget but its as you expect for fmv game

Echo generation
    use the tired and common higher res minecraft look that all indies use have been using like the touryst, butcher camp game etc But its uses very loud bleep/bops when the character speaks and its fucking annoying, I assume the devs have gone insane from hearing it. Also horrible depth of field when talking about the town but standard turn based combat game but doing extra damage timing is off. If they listen to feedback before launch it could be good. Would be a good gamepass title if it does launch on GP

Sable
    The graphical style is unique but feels like I've played it before in other indie games
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.