Xbox Series X Page 285

• Andee 8 Jul 2021 11:56:46 1,052 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @scott1987 I do that with a Series S and X1X, and pc too. You just have to give it a little time to sync the saves on launch.
  • scott1987 8 Jul 2021 12:21:35 291 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks @wayne and @andee for coming back to me. Thatís making me decision easier lol.
  • StixxUK 8 Jul 2021 13:32:10 8,738 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    So now we can play Dark Souls 3 at 60fps! But only at 900p!

Damn it looks like I just am not going to be able to avoid getting a PS5.
  • monkman76 8 Jul 2021 13:54:30 18,923 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get a PS5 for sure, but not for the sake of a slightly higher but still low resolution on a 5 year old game!
  • THFourteen 8 Jul 2021 13:54:54 54,892 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    scott1987 wrote:
    Thanks @wayne and @andee for coming back to me. Thatís making me decision easier lol.
    I think the key thing for me is you have to shut the game down to do the sync (unless Iím wrong)

So I do this with PC and my series s but sometimes losing the quick resume is annoying especially with stuff like Yakuza where 90% of the time Iíll pause and leave it on Xbox halfway through a cutscene so I donít want to quit.
  • StixxUK 8 Jul 2021 14:19:04 8,738 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @monkman76 also just to add - I already own it on PC :D

edit: think I am going to get a PS5 digital for teh 3xcluSive5!!

Edited by StixxUK at 14:19:55 08-07-2021
  • scott1987 8 Jul 2021 21:43:56 291 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @THFourteen thatís very hand to know dude, thanks
  • convercide 8 Jul 2021 22:20:03 6,498 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Noticed that A Plague Tale was 'Upgrading' before as opposed to updating. Might be how we see Series X updates implemented for older titles?
  • daver 8 Jul 2021 22:57:11 129 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @convercide

Yeah it says "upgrading" when it is downloading the enhanced X/S version of any games you've got the existing version for. Seen it a few times this month. Enjoy A Plague Tale, it's fabulous. Kinda glad I sat on it before.
  • StixxUK 9 Jul 2021 09:28:42 8,738 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anyone encountered an issue with Series X HDMI-CEC?

I've had to start unplugging the HDMI from it when I'm not using it because if I leave it connected, whenever I turn another device on it switches over to the Xbox HDMI input, without turning the XBox on. For example, try to watch Sky or play on the Switch and it goes onto that device for a brief second then switches to the Xbox input, with a blank screen.

I know HDMI-CEC can be a bit finnicky but it's so good when it works, I haven't had a problem with it for years and everything else plays nice and works as it should.
  • THFourteen 9 Jul 2021 09:37:45 54,892 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's trying to tell you to stop watching Love Island and play xbox.
  • nickthegun 9 Jul 2021 09:43:10 87,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rather than unplugging it, you could just turn HDMI-CEC off in the settings. I cant remember the exact issue but I did turn it off on mine because something was very aggressive.

I think it might have been turning the box on when I turned my TV on even when it was on another input. Sounds similar.
  • StixxUK 9 Jul 2021 10:32:19 8,738 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, just I don't have a handy remote around for switching inputs - because normally everything just works. To be fair keeping that remote around is probably quicker than unplugging/replugging.

Just a bit annoying they can't get it right in this day and age, if everyone else can.

Also my AV receiver is over 10 years old, but I get the same problem through the TV which is a mere 7.

Hopefully bin off the receiver completely soon and move to an integrated system of some kind and a better telly.

Edited by StixxUK at 10:33:21 09-07-2021
  • Darth_Flibble 11 Jul 2021 09:56:55 5,510 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Inops is free to everyone, indie 2d puzzle platformer game
  • Trent_Steel 12 Jul 2021 22:08:51 182 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just bought a Series S and Game Pass. Iíve never owned and Xbox before so wouldnít mind some recs on exclusives I should take a look at. Want to do a bit of Gears and Halo but think going as far back as the originals might be overkill. Can the newer games work as standalones or do you need to know the story?

Any other ideas for stuff on game pass or indie games not available on Nintendo / PS would be much appreciated too!
  • Technoishmatt 12 Jul 2021 22:26:47 5,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Halo story gets fairly convoluted towards the end such that you need to read outside of the games to understand -ish. Or you can be like me and sit along for the ride :). The oldest ones will have some dated gameplay, but are the originals. And some of their stuff is just one of a kind experiences.

You could always check them out to get a taster, it's free anyway.
  • richardiox 12 Jul 2021 22:53:05 10,049 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Halo - start with 3! Gameplay>Plot with these games.

Play Forza Horizon 4, it's great.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

The Ascent and Flight Sim are both coming to GP this month too
  • Ultrasoundwave 12 Jul 2021 22:59:12 6,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trent_Steel wrote:
    Just bought a Series S and Game Pass. Iíve never owned an Xbox before so wouldnít mind some recs on exclusives I should take a look at. Want to do a bit of Gears and Halo but think going as far back as the originals might be overkill. Can the newer games work as standalones or do you need to know the story?
    To get you started:
    - Halo Master Chief Collection
    - Forza Horizon 4
    - Gears of War Ultimate Edition
    - Gears Tactics
    - Sunset Overdrive
    - Sea of Thieves
    - Alan Wake (back compat)

Although, Gears 4 was essentially a reboot so you could start there if you want to save some time.

Also, Halo 5 is sort of reboot-ish if you wanted a more contemporary experienceÖ..itís also not as bad a people made out.
  • gamecat 12 Jul 2021 23:05:18 1,223 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's not too many exclusives outside of Gears, Halo and Forza on GP. Call of the Sea, The Medium, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 .. all OK in their own way. Quite a lot more exclusives coming later this year though; Flight Sim, The Ascent, Tunic, 12 minutes and so on.
  • spookyxelectric 12 Jul 2021 23:15:28 593 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Play Quantum Break. Remedy's Control-before-Control.
  • Trent_Steel 13 Jul 2021 00:42:09 182 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for the recommendations all. Iím tempted to go for Gears 5 straight away as it looks a lot more impressive visually than the older ones and feels like what Iím after with a shiny new (if modestly powered) console!

Already have Forza 4 downloaded and can see me dipping in and out of it. Have Call of the Sea and The Medium as well as I like that kind of thing.

Iíll decide on what Halo to go for next, might just start with 5 as itís the only contemporary one (I think?) Iíll look up all the other recommendations too, always fancied Sunset Overdrive.

Cannot believe the amount of choice you get. Had a huge backlog even before Gamepass!
  • spookyxelectric 13 Jul 2021 01:20:54 593 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd download The Master Chief Collection over Halo 5. H5 has the best visuals, but it also has the blandest campaign. Halos Reach, Anniversary and 4 hold up surprisingly well, considering they originally released on 360, and 2 Anniversary is a complete visual remake so it looks about as good as any last gen FPS.
  • Technoishmatt 13 Jul 2021 01:59:16 5,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vote for Halo 5 here. It is gorgeous and at 60fps. If you are not worried about story anyway, it is also pretty fast paced if you stay away from legendary difficulty (I like to play my halos on normal nowadays and stomp on the alien baddies).
  • scott1987 13 Jul 2021 06:58:15 291 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of halo, Iím looking forward to infinite but Iíve never played any of the others. Well I played the original halo when it was released, will I be okay just picking this up? Or do I need to play everything before it
  • THFourteen 13 Jul 2021 07:50:24 54,892 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finally dropped the difficulty to beginner on the Matriarch after trying must be 100+ times.

Iím such a noob.
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Jul 2021 08:40:55 6,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    scott1987 wrote:
    Speaking of halo, Iím looking forward to infinite but Iíve never played any of the others. Well I played the original halo when it was released, will I be okay just picking this up? Or do I need to play everything before it
    Thereís a reason this series is so highly regarded. If youíve got the time, Iíd recommend going through them all because they all offer something special to experience, even ODST.

Personally, I also liked 4 and 5 a lot (although not as much as the originals).

Also, if you want the WHOLE story, apparently Halo Wars 2 ties in to Halo Infinite quite substantially in terms of its narrative.
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Jul 2021 09:16:48 26,820 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Do we know if the disc drive X is ever coming back in stock! Same for ps5. When I say in stock I mean Amazon etc.
  • THFourteen 13 Jul 2021 10:27:59 54,892 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Do we know if the disc drive X is ever coming back in stock! Same for ps5. When I say in stock I mean Amazon etc.
    They come up every 10 days or so, try this discord
    https://discord.gg/PjHRhWXF
  • andytheadequate 13 Jul 2021 10:52:48 9,567 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    scott1987 wrote:
    The stories are pretty dreadful anyway so I wouldn't worry about playing them in order. I really enjoyed 5, in fact the only Halo games I didn't love when I (re)played them in the last few months were 4 and CE, although they were both alright. I think I'd start with 5 because it looks spectacular even though it's fairly old now, plus the mechanics are a bit more "modern". Halo Reach is also a good choice as I'd say it was the best campaign.
  • ThrowingTuba 13 Jul 2021 11:22:22 274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @andytheadequate Plus one for this, I played Halo 5 recently and loved it but I couldnít tell you what was happening in the story for the life of me.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.