Xbox Series X Page 286

• Britesparc 13 Jul 2021 12:19:21 2,320 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @scott1987 I've played every Halo as they came out and I've been slightly confused since Halo 2.

It feels like Infinite is going to be a soft reboot anyway, so as long as you don't mind someone explaining the odd bit of plot specifics to you, I think you'll be fine. Like someone else on here said, Halo Wars 2 supposedly ties into the plot more (they share bad guys), and I guess if you really wanted you could try to whiz through Halos 4 & 5 on easy just to pick up the most recent threads. But you'll probably be fine.
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Jul 2021 13:40:21 26,820 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen
    Cheers mate
  • Derblington 13 Jul 2021 13:47:50 35,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I canít think of any game where you have to play the previous entries to understand a story well enough to play any sequel. They all provide an explanation for new players to jump in.
  • StixxUK 13 Jul 2021 14:01:34 8,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Halo 1 is the best, just imagine you're playing it 20 years ago.
  • IRWATWO 13 Jul 2021 14:04:17 1,310 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And when you get past the first Flood mission, try to ignore the fact the second half of the game is just the first half in reverse
  • scott1987 13 Jul 2021 14:19:11 291 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Britesparc ahh that sounds very promising, thanks for that. I think if I find the time I will go back and play on game pass
  • scott1987 13 Jul 2021 14:20:24 291 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @StixxUK I remember getting it day 1 with my Xbox along with project Gotham racing and that huggggee controller lol

Still a great console, ahh the memories as a young boy
  • robthehermit 13 Jul 2021 14:30:13 8,606 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For my two cents, I quite enjoyed the Reach campaign.
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Jul 2021 14:32:48 26,820 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @scott1987
    👍 I bought mine with GTAIII, Blood Rayne and the very reason I bought the Xbox...KOTOR.
  • bzzct 13 Jul 2021 15:02:46 2,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I canít think of any game where you have to play the previous entries to understand a story well enough to play any sequel. They all provide an explanation for new players to jump in.
    Not to mention that in something like the Halo series, the stories are all such terribly conceived, badly told nonsense that trying to follow them probably detracts from the overall experience anyway.

There's always a load of convoluted, surface-level noise - dozens of characters, factions, enemies, races, locations, technologies, macguffins - that is almost impossible to keep track of, and even if you did meticulously map it all together there's no depth of meaning/resonance to any of it. It's just ALOTOFSTUFFTHATHAPPENED.
  • spookyxelectric 13 Jul 2021 15:15:33 593 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I never had any issue understanding the Bungie games. Could be because I've played them since the original Xbox, and I enjoy a bit of sci-fi, but I had no problems following those.

The 343 titles seem to all be Chief goes rogue because Cortana goes rampant again, something about Forerunners, also Luke Cage appears.
  • Phattso 13 Jul 2021 15:19:22 27,302 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I thought it was already incoherent bollocks by the second game, and I'd tuned it all out by the third and just enjoyed the spectacle. Loved that ODST basically carved its own path, and I skipped 4 entirely. Played 5 recently, and not know wtf was going on didn't stop me ploughing through it.
  • Derblington 13 Jul 2021 15:43:06 35,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For my money, if you wanted to play previous titles, Iíd do Halo, Reach and ODST. Theyíre all pretty much self contained and/or unique enough to warrant the hours. Everything outside of those just repeats what Halo did or becomes even more nonsensical. Iíve never really understood the praise for H3, itís just more Halo with the same gameplay but more crap bits that the series tends to be collecting over time.
  • Malek86 13 Jul 2021 16:04:51 12,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Derblington well, except Kingdom Hearts 3.
  • StixxUK 13 Jul 2021 16:05:17 8,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    And if you just want the gameplay loop/feel may as well play Destiny

FWIW I played ODST for the first time recently and found it too hard, gave up after a couple of hours.
  • nickthegun 13 Jul 2021 16:31:35 87,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ODST is the only one I binned while making my way through the MCC. I just didnt find it very fun and found the levels a bit shit.
  • richardiox 13 Jul 2021 16:33:42 10,049 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    And if you just want the gameplay loop/feel may as well play Destiny

FWIW I played ODST for the first time recently and found it too hard, gave up after a couple of hours.
    Disagree about Destiny. Although the core bungie gameplay loop remains the same I thought they perfected the formula with the halo template - notably the linear mission structure and the coherent enemy types. I love playing Destiny but fucking hate all the peripheral faffing about.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jul 2021 16:36:17 24,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember trying the most recent dlc of destiny 2 and not having the slightest idea of what was going on, where I was or what I had to do. It just dropped me into a mission with the expectation that I knew what was going on. Not a good look.
  • andytheadequate 13 Jul 2021 16:36:51 9,567 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I always loved H3, there's 1 crap level but the rest were decent, and some parts were great. I agree that Reach and ODST would give you the best overview of the game though. Reach even has the benefit of a story that is vaguely interesting; it's not clever but at least it's simple and feels epic (as long as you don't pay too much attention).

Destiny is nowhere near the same league as Halo for SP stuff. The level design is crap, the enemy AI is non existent, and you just plow through waves of enemies that feel like they're endlessly respawning. The shooting mechanics are great though, and feels very similar to Halo 5 in that regard. Obviously it's a slightly unfair comparison as Destiny is a live service game, but if you try and play it like a Halo campaign it's massively disappointing.
  • andytheadequate 13 Jul 2021 16:38:38 9,567 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only issue I had with ODST was trying to find the start of the next mission in the hub world. Not paying attention to the story made it a bit tricker to figure out where to go, especially when everything was so dark. It also starts a bit slowly, but the last few missions are pretty good
  • Derblington 13 Jul 2021 16:52:24 35,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I shouldnít have commented, now Iím in the mood to replay some :)

May do a Legendary playthrough of the series in a bit.
  • scott1987 13 Jul 2021 17:02:25 291 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Derblington everyone talking about has made me want to play it now aswell.
  • bzzct 13 Jul 2021 17:19:21 2,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    the coherent enemy types
    The "golden triangle" of guns, grenades, melee is often mentioned in terms of Halo's core, but I've always felt the elites, grunts, jackals combo of enemy types was also a big part of what the first Halo got right.

I played through Halo 5 for the first time recently and had relatively little idea exactly what I was shooting at most of the time, or what their respective strengths/weaknesses were.
  • G0atApocalypse 13 Jul 2021 17:31:53 121 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Having a mare with my Series X and my (relatively) ancient AV set up. My One X relied on optical out to connect to my receiver, which connected to my TV via ARC.

Now, without optical, I have to either connect Xbox to TV via HDMI (I get HDR10 but weirdly not Dolby Digital) or into the amp (no HDR10 but I'll get Dolby Digital).

Maddenning.
  • Technoishmatt 13 Jul 2021 17:53:01 5,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So get a splitter - optical to receiver, hdmi to TV.
  • [maven] 13 Jul 2021 17:55:41 5,794 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    G0atApocalypse wrote:
    Having a mare with my Series X and my (relatively) ancient AV set up. My One X relied on optical out to connect to my receiver, which connected to my TV via ARC.

Now, without optical, I have to either connect Xbox to TV via HDMI (I get HDR10 but weirdly not Dolby Digital) or into the amp (no HDR10 but I'll get Dolby Digital).

Maddenning.
    There's also audio extractors for HDMI, which essentially do pass-through of HDMI while giving you SPDIF (or COAX) audio out. You'll still need to set the console to output compress multi-channel (AC3 or DTS for example).
  • Malek86 13 Jul 2021 19:01:10 12,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If your TV has optical out, you should be able to get it to output audio to the receiver that way too. But chances are, all of these solutions will introduce some lag.

If you ask me, it was simply too early to remove the optical port. Unlike TVs, people don't upgrade their receivers every five years.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:01:28 13-07-2021
  • Technoishmatt 13 Jul 2021 19:22:16 5,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I mean, that is true, but my receiver is over five years old (2015 model I believe) and at budget end and does UHD HDR no problem.
  • G0atApocalypse 13 Jul 2021 20:04:50 121 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Thanks @Technoishmatt and @[maven] - any specific products I should be looking at?
  • Your-Mother 13 Jul 2021 20:21:26 8,011 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    If your TV has optical out, you should be able to get it to output audio to the receiver that way too. But chances are, all of these solutions will introduce some lag.

If you ask me, it was simply too early to remove the optical port. Unlike TVs, people don't upgrade their receivers every five years.
    The flip side of that is that optical has been dying out on the standards front for at least the last decade. It doesnít have any ability to handle even the legacy lossless formats, let alone the newer ones. Most streaming devices dropped it a few years ago, and the sooner it dies a death the better, itís the equivalent of still trying to use VGA or component cables.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.