The Climate Change Thread Page 3

Next Last
  • Deleted user 4 January 2020 08:04:57
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I’m in Australia just now. Now miles away from the fires as I’m in Queensland. Last week though, in the Adelaide Hills my brother had to pick his kids up from childcare as fires were getting a bit close.
    Conversation with his wife , an educated Economist who seemed fairly progressive minded and comment such as “the world won’t end tomorrow” and “the media exaggerate “ came from her mouth, as her country burns around her.

We’re fucked.
    To be fair, I think you'll find she's dead right on both counts.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Jan 2020 12:16:59 28,696 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MightyPirate wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I’m in Australia just now. Now miles away from the fires as I’m in Queensland. Last week though, in the Adelaide Hills my brother had to pick his kids up from childcare as fires were getting a bit close.
    Conversation with his wife , an educated Economist who seemed fairly progressive minded and comment such as “the world won’t end tomorrow” and “the media exaggerate “ came from her mouth, as her country burns around her.

We’re fucked.
    What is the media exaggerating ?
  • Deleted user 4 January 2020 12:32:06
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MightyPirate wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

We’re fucked.
    What is the media exaggerating ?
    Seriously? You don't think the media exaggerate?
  • Mola_Ram 4 Jan 2020 12:40:25 23,529 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the thousand-plus people whose homes burned down might balk at the "media is exaggerating" argument.
  • dominalien 4 Jan 2020 12:41:17 9,538 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think there’s an implied “in general” here.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Jan 2020 13:07:34 23,529 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess they do, for some things? But absent everyone hunting down and consuming scientific literature straight from the source, "the media" is probably the best option for getting accurate information about what's going on in the world. Who else would you trust? The government? Anonymous bloggers? Facebook friends?
  • ZuluHero 4 Jan 2020 13:19:39 8,640 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Slightly off topic, but the most relevant thread; Greta changes her twitter name to 'sharon' after a contestant on a gameshow tried to guess her name:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50989594
  • RobAnybody 4 Jan 2020 13:28:30 2,121 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For scale, this is an interesting image showing the areas burnt and covered by smoke in Australia relevant to Europe (the brown blob in the middle is the area covered by the fires, the far larger grey area is the smoke):

https://i.redd.it/z180wjicdl841.jpg

Edited by RobAnybody at 13:29:24 04-01-2020
  • Fake_Blood 4 Jan 2020 13:38:39 10,232 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think they need to be upfront about the fact that if emissions go down by 40% worldwide we are not going to see the effects in our lifetime. I can totally see a few nations say “fuck it” when things keep getting progressively worse even beyond 2050.
  • sport 4 Jan 2020 13:55:13 15,875 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    By my calculations, a global drop of 38.6% in emissions will see a benefit of 23 in about 5 years. That's net btw, not gross benefit.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 4 Jan 2020 14:14:16 262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I think they need to be upfront about the fact that if emissions go down by 40% worldwide we are not going to see the effects in our lifetime. I can totally see a few nations say “fuck it” when things keep getting progressively worse even beyond 2050.
    They are upfront about it. It's a standard FAQ entry for most science institutions that have climate change websites.
  • Fake_Blood 4 Jan 2020 14:26:17 10,232 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well yes, but activists need to be upfront about it, even if it makes their message harder to sell.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 4 Jan 2020 14:29:30 262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    But why? Activism is to bring change so the only messaging they need to deal with is whatever helps bring change. It makes no sense to bring up aspects that do not benefit bringing about change.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jan 2020 04:49:15 23,529 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glol this is ridiculous. It's like there's a heavy fog around, only it's 30 degrees outside. And we're not remotely close to any fires.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Jan 2020 05:08:18 28,696 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Glol this is ridiculous. It's like there's a heavy fog around, only it's 30 degrees outside. And we're not remotely close to any fires.
    Whereabouts are you?
  • TechnoHippy 24 Jan 2020 08:07:43 17,008 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    At last we know the cause!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18177473.letter-earth-getting-lighter-causing-global-warming
  • IRWATWO 24 Jan 2020 08:31:50 678 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Lol. So the earth just needs to get down the gym, bulk up a bit.
  • Dandy11 24 Jan 2020 10:14:16 125 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    https://youtu.be/73V4cWMZSLk

Mallen Baker pro climate change Youtuber

Edited by Dandy11 at 10:29:42 24-01-2020
  • challenge_hanukkah 24 Jan 2020 10:26:22 12,632 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah Jesus, Guybrush is a climate change denier and a Tory voter?

He seemed so nice.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Jan 2020 12:47:08 18,790 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:

He seemed so nice.
    Eh?
  • Deleted user 24 January 2020 13:11:27
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:

He seemed so nice.
    Eh?
    What he said ^
  • Deleted user 24 January 2020 13:14:17
    Oh I see... you mean me saying the media usually exaggerate what they say to mean I'm a climate change denier.

FWIW, I'm not in league with Trump and I do believe in climate change and that we've basically buggered this world.

The Tory voting you've got me on though.
  • rice_sandwich 24 Jan 2020 13:30:41 6,426 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder what we're going to have to give up or do much less of to make actual progress to lessen the effects of climate change? The big stuff, not tip of the iceberg things like recycling or Meatless Monday.

I like to think I'm doing my bit, but when I really look at how I live, it doesn't seem like much. I, like almost everyone in developed countries are a big part of the problem due to relatively affluent lifestyles and rampant consumption of goods and services.

Maybe radical, swerping change enforced by governments is the only way forward.
  • Lukus 24 Jan 2020 17:20:11 23,120 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The truth is, even collectively, what individuals can do compared to big business and institutions is minimal, relatively.

The whole fossil fuel industry needs to be eradicated across the board and replaced with clean, renewable energy.

Activists banging on about royals taking private jets everywhere is basically meaningless, when air travel is such an integral part of modern life and something that is not going to go away. Instead, we need to create commercially viable air travel that is fuelled by electricity and solar power and/or any number of other potentially clean technological designs or approaches.

The whole 'individuals doing their part' thing is just a distraction from the fact that the systems and institutions that our economies and societies are built upon are the real problems.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.