Following Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2020) Page 6

• ghearoid 12 Jan 2020 09:28:21 3,284 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Update!

🎯 Story of Seasons Trio of Towns is finished and can come off my list. 95+ hours played, the mysterious Mr D beaten, all farm tips completed, all farms areas and facilities unlocked and in use.

I'm particularly pleased to have finished this one as it was easily the longest game remaining in my small 3DS backlog. I'll have a think about what to play next out of Yoshi/Kirby, Mario Golf or Layton vs Wright.

I may even complete all my 3DS games this year if I'm a good boy.

Edited by ghearoid at 12:46:38 12-01-2020

Edited by ghearoid at 20:59:11 12-01-2020
  • Rodderz 12 Jan 2020 12:39:00 3,973 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hello 2020. Who is this mysterious usurper DuckBreaker and what has he/she/it done with Phattso? Are those muffled screams I can hear....?

Anyway, what kind of lunatics want to sign up to this challenge... wait...
    🏆💩 Rodderz ( _ _ _ )
    . What the... automatic entry! In 2019 by the looks of it too, damn you Phattso!! That smiling shit emoji, tainting my shiny 2018 10 game challenge trophy, the cheek 😉!

Right let's give this a go then, even if I'm likely to fail this year. My first completed content of 2020 was in the first few days of January and was the three part Marvel Spiderman DLC: 🎯The City that Never Sleeps🎯, having completed and got the Platinum for the main game over Christmas. I'm currently playing the excellent 🦆Days Gone🦆 so that's currently one slot filled.

*edit*: just remembered that after completing the Spiderman dlc I played and completed the singleplayer campaign for 🎯Titanfall 2🎯, courtesy of PS+. It was such a short game, even in Hard mode, I'd forgotten about it!

Edited by Rodderz at 14:56:38 12-01-2020
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Jan 2020 16:02:27 14,959 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rodderz I think DuckBreaker is the product of an unholy union between Phattso, Rice and a couple of other likeminded adults.
  • Rodderz 12 Jan 2020 16:36:38 3,973 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

Unholy is truly the right word this "DuckBreaker", though we must be careful of its wrath to discuss this so openly... 🦆👀

😁
  • Samildanach 12 Jan 2020 19:52:24 189 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hang about...when did Rice drop out of the challenge?
  • DuckBreaker 12 Jan 2020 20:15:13 18 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    There we are, all up to date.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Jan 2020 20:28:45 6,052 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    Hang about...when did Rice drop out of the challenge?
    I binned it a few days ago. I don't see myself having much time for gaming this year due to various reasons.
  • JoelStinty 12 Jan 2020 20:41:59 8,406 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished Jedi Fallen Order. Decent game. Sits in between a 7 and a 8. Sags a little in the middle but has loads of high points. It does the Star Wars thing really well. Bodes well for the inevitable sequel.

Now to decide what to play next. Half tempted by Yoshi or dragon quest in the Switch sale but only got a couple of hours to decide!
  • Samildanach 12 Jan 2020 21:19:03 189 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich
    Ah, I see.
    Most probably due to one of the following three reasons:

A) You've become an Astronaut and are on the way up to space right now.
    B) You have become a Druid and live now in a forest, sleeping on a bed of friendly woodland animals.
    C) You are an experimental genetic scientist and a recent accident in the lab has resulted in your arms evolving into five dimensional space which unfortunately means that you don't know where they are most of the time.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Jan 2020 22:21:40 14,959 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JoelStinty

Yoshiís Crafted World is ok but is definitely not a top tier Nintendo game.

I liked the DQ demo though. (Albeit not quite enough to buy the game yet).
  • DangerousDave_87 12 Jan 2020 23:12:25 6,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Clocked 15 hours on Worms in just over10 days. Not too shabby. Had a brief look at the single player stuff, but good the most part it just looks like a glorified tutorial.

Have I done enough to kick it from the list?
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jan 2020 06:33:13 6,052 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Samildanach

Haha, no it's just that I want to cut right back on gaming. While some of my gaming is in 'dead time' where it would be hard to do anything else constructive, a lot of it is not.

At least 50% is intentional and I realise that being entertained via gaming doesn't feature very highly on the list of the true needs and wants and how to be the living embodiment of a true rice_sandwich.

Going forward, I'm happy enough if I play half a dozen first party Nintendo games per year. My wife often buys them for me so it would be nice if I get a surprise like that now and again. I'd like it to be a minor hobby that I do a few times a year.

I don't really want to think about gaming beyond that. It's become a very bad habit for me, particularly when there are other things I value far more highly....though they all involve a huge amount of effort in comparison to gaming.

Mostly I resent the time that I spend browsing gaming web sites, watching gaming videos, reading reviews etc. I really don't need to fill my head with release dates and all that useless stuff.

The community here is enjoyable but a shadow of what it is was once upon a time. I really don't need to do any of the above and I should mostly stop gaming. But I do it because it's easy and fun, gives me an instant dopamine hit, though I don't rank it as particularly rewarding in the greater sense. Although not do I particularly regret it either, to be fair. The joys of on tap, just good enough entertainment.
  • dominalien 13 Jan 2020 08:14:28 9,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You realise this challenge can help you do exactly what you want, right? :-)
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jan 2020 08:30:50 6,052 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien

Not really. It makes you think about games which isn't what I want to do.
  • Nazo 13 Jan 2020 08:47:51 1,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm in a similar place regarding wanting to spend less time playing games so I signed up as a bit of extra motivation not to slip back into old habits.
    EG is the only gaming site I visit though and even then I don't really read any of the gaming threads any more.
  • JoelStinty 13 Jan 2020 10:38:08 8,406 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @JoelStinty

Yoshiís Crafted World is ok but is definitely not a top tier Nintendo game.

I liked the DQ demo though. (Albeit not quite enough to buy the game yet).
    Didnít get either in the end. I wanted to get DQ but Iím going away for a couple of months at the end of Feb and I didnít know whether I be able to complete it before I go. Kind of wished I did pick it up now though. Itíll be there when I get back I guess.

So Ive now narrowed it down to cat quest or Wolfenstein 2. I donít know whether I want to kill Nazis or mice.

Anyone played cat quest? Itís just seemed to have caught my eye recently
  • Zidargh 13 Jan 2020 11:00:19 2,040 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich This is a self-aware post so you've already won half of the battle.

My relationship with gaming is somewhat different. I want to do it more but it's hard to find the time, and when I'm about to embark on a session, I feel a sense of guilt that I should be doing something else.

Generally, my lifestyle is pretty productive. I don't game when I should be doing my day job, and I always prioritise gym and social life before gaming. But like social media, I fill a lot of dead time with trawling game websites as a half-way of indulging gaming. Instead, I may as well bloody game.

It's weird - I hardly watch TV, but I'd like to read more.

What I'd really like is to find a way to turn my hobby into a social endeavour. As in, find IRL forums/groups to build a social life out of a love of gaming. Then I'd feel better about it.

Edited by Zidargh at 11:01:17 13-01-2020
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jan 2020 11:15:34 6,052 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Zidargh

Yeah, it's not that I skip work or any other real life obligations to game. That would terrible and would lead to divorce. At worst I have very occasionally stayed up too late playing Splatoon and have felt tired the next day.

It's more that a lot of it feels like it isn't the best use of my time. Although it would be foolish to think that every minute of the day can be spent on more fulfilling things, or that every other hobby and interest is automatically more fulfilling. I suppose things are what you make them.
  • Samildanach 13 Jan 2020 11:40:51 189 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gaming unfortunately is quite an addictive thing to do which I have also found causes phases of an unhealthy takeover of my time and thoughts. I get briefly worse when I near the end of some of the bigger games as I am keen to see the end of it and therefore spend more evenings chugging away at it.
    It can be quite insular a hobby sometimes and I am mindful that it does irritate the wife when I get too sucked in. For that reason I don't game on the PC anymore and will never get a VR kit as that would completely cut me off.
    However, I don't game when my three children are up and around (they seem to have little interest when I have occasionally put on a child friendly game... "Stop playing outside and come in and play computer games will you ...oh.) and I try not to hog the TV in the evening, making sure we have checked there is nothing we want to watch together.
    We don't have Netflix or any other subscription service, so don't spend much time watching TV or films; gaming is arguably more active on the grey matter than just watching TV so I feel that if I am having some down time, gaming is no worse than TV or reading (also an insular activity); and we do all need downtime.Having three young children means we are out far less in the evenings and after a day of work and putting the children to bed/ cleaning up; it is good to sit back and chill.
    The biggest danger with gaming though, is that it can cut into time when one should do some exercise, raising the risk of long term health problems and in the more immediate timescale, raising the risk of depression or anxiety.
    Anyway, I've waffled enough here. Carry on!

Edited by Samildanach at 11:41:38 13-01-2020
  • Zidargh 13 Jan 2020 12:01:53 2,040 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No it's a good discussion. I engage with this thread in a cycling cafe where there's a defined community created by their hobby. Admittedly it's a physical endeavour so comes with advantages like that. Would be lovely to find something similar, perhaps tournaments are one way (Smash Bros, anyone?)

Gaming has had several clear benefits in my life though:
    - As a kid I had a lazy eye. But according to the optician, my love of gaming actually helped stabilise it to the point where I stopped wearing glasses at 11 and you'd never know.
    - Without a doubt, it's helped my creativity.
    - Hand-eye coordination?

Edited by Zidargh at 12:02:20 13-01-2020
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jan 2020 12:12:40 6,052 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All good points. I have struggled with sometimes playing games just to fill the time, or when I'm too tired or lazy to do anything else. Instead of playing half an hour of a mediocre game I should go for a run. Instead of spending 100 hours on an rpg, I should work on writing, read a dozen books or learn an instrument. But they are all much harder things than playing easy and fun games.
  • Jono62 13 Jan 2020 12:53:23 23,338 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Completed Phoenix Wright Trilogy. What a game. So crazy and implausible, but I couldn't stop playing.
  • Samildanach 13 Jan 2020 12:56:55 189 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @rice_sandwich
    Don't be too hard on yourself, if you try to be productive or do try to do wholesome activities too much it can lead to burn out. Everything in moderation I say, work, social time, exercise, self improvement and then gaming or TV when you are tired.
    I just wish I could stick better at that ideal!
  • rice_sandwich 13 Jan 2020 13:24:49 6,052 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Samildanach

Sure, I agree. It's very easy to go the other way and focus on too many low grade activities which aren't exactly life enhancing. Anyway, carry on with your pigwhipping.
  • kosigan 13 Jan 2020 16:35:08 702 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Consider me reversing my auto-enrollment. I've recently bought 3 games (Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection, Doom (1993) and Doom II (1994)), none of which I'm ever likely to see the end of.
  • JoelStinty 13 Jan 2020 19:54:49 8,406 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Please can I add Dead Cells to my list. Didnít fancy being a cat or killing Nazis in the end.
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Jan 2020 20:45:32 6,643 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A great choice. I got a good 45 hours out of it, but depending on how quickly you pick it up, that could be much less. Conversely, depending on how much you like it, it could be much, much longer.
  • JoelStinty 13 Jan 2020 21:32:21 8,406 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iíve put 45 minutes into it so far, first impressions are positive. Certainly sharp and snappy. Done two runs and I think Iíve got a gentle grasp on it. Got a vine and flask upgrade and Iíve learnt that I have to take back blue prints to the collector. I may restart it once I have more of a grasp on it as I havnít really taken in what who and what people are if thatís makes sense. A little tired!

Edited by JoelStinty at 21:37:32 13-01-2020

Edited by JoelStinty at 21:37:59 13-01-2020
  • Jono62 13 Jan 2020 21:36:07 23,338 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've 'completed' Edith Finch, but should I replay it as it came up with something about replaying it.
  • Steifybobbins 13 Jan 2020 23:36:33 607 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Completed Phoenix Wright Trilogy. What a game. So crazy and implausible, but I couldn't stop playing.
    Great isnt it! I've loved it since the Ds release

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.