Following Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2020) Page 21

• dominalien 22 May 2020 12:20:52 10,068 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have resisted at least 5 purchases this year due to this challenge, it's so good for me! :-) I'm trying to get through 3 more games before I get something new, notwithstanding my one free slot.

Xenosaga is progressing nicely, though it looks like it'll be longer than I anticipated. Howlongtobeat says 40+ for a completionist playthrough, I have 40 hours on the clock and only have just started the 2nd DVD, I have no idea how much more there is. I love this game so much. I have absolutely no idea what's going on with the plot, but it's just so much fun with the little conversations and quests (that you have to remember, no autolog here) and the camera moves so, so beautifully.

Edited by dominalien at 12:21:15 22-05-2020
  • DuckBreaker 22 May 2020 14:01:32 142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Duckdate done.

Three weeks since the last challenger crashed and burned. The weak of heart are the first to fall in battle. Now the grizzled veterans remain, stoically holding the shield wall against the hordes of game buying excess.
  • dominalien 23 May 2020 15:10:47 10,068 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can now play Half-Life: Alyx on my new PC and I have, so please add Half-Life: Alyx to my list, oh DuckBreaker Sir please.
  • Cappy 23 May 2020 16:19:34 14,252 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Xenosaga is progressing nicely, though it looks like it'll be longer than I anticipated. Howlongtobeat says 40+ for a completionist playthrough, I have 40 hours on the clock and only have just started the 2nd DVD, I have no idea how much more there is. I love this game so much. I have absolutely no idea what's going on with the plot, but it's just so much fun with the little conversations and quests (that you have to remember, no autolog here) and the camera moves so, so beautifully.
    I had the impression that it was much longer than that. I'd be interested in how they gather data, if it's self reporting especially for older games, people could be providing second playthrough times.
  • dominalien 23 May 2020 20:03:12 10,068 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The previous two Xenosagas were 30-40 hours IIRC, so I was expecting roughly the same from this one. I'm not complaining in any case.
  • crashVoodoo 26 May 2020 16:20:00 6,806 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Forgot to update this thread. I completed rime, it's short but what started as a charming puzzler to run around, eventually became a bit of a boring slog.

I actually hate the games that dynamically loop you back on yourself or have you running one way endlessly until you realise that the way forward is room you just came from which has now turned into something else. Fuck that.

Anyways, check that off and I'm now playing far cry 5. Picked it and all its dlc up for £8 from epic store.

I think I'm close on Subnautica but I fancied a bit of FPS action where I can actually shoot something dead

Edited by crashVoodoo at 16:22:13 26-05-2020
  • ghearoid 29 May 2020 13:42:47 3,641 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Update!

Please add Xenoblade Chronicles DE to my list.
  • Switch-v85 29 May 2020 15:25:37 4,203 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Time to bow out for another year. Picked up Xenoblade for the Switch which puts me on 4 games. 3 years of failure. Maybe next year!
  • DuckBreaker 29 May 2020 17:54:12 142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Time to bow out for another year. Picked up Xenoblade for the Switch which puts me on 4 games. 3 years of failure. Maybe next year!
    4th time's a charm perhaps?

Update done. 29 Pigwhippers still in the race.and we are not quite half way through the year.... will any survive to the finish line?
  • Phattso 29 May 2020 17:59:02 26,179 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Spoiler: no! 😂
  • DuckBreaker 29 May 2020 23:40:53 142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Spoiler: no! 😂
    I've got 8 on my radar who are likely completely unaware they are in the challenge... they will be culled in good time if there is no action from them...
    That leaves 21 for the remaining 7 months. There is a hardcore here who have the goodly mental discipline and can make it, so assuming a few more losses, I reckon 15 survivors by the end.

Edited by DuckBreaker at 23:41:10 29-05-2020
  • DuckBreaker 30 May 2020 00:40:54 142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Ceelion
    I have spotted a new ne'e do well: Pigwhipper Ceelion of newest purchase 2 weeks ago 'Animal Crossing' (bundled with Switch), you do have a free slots, but are you still in the race?
    None can escape the Duckish Inquisition!
  • DuckBreaker 30 May 2020 00:56:22 142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @LoneWolf80
    Pigwhipper LoneWolf80... your Kai powers have deserted you perhaps. Did not Final Fantasy VII REMAKE drop onto your doormat a couple of weeks ago? You have a free slots, so the Duck may be merciful as yet.
  • crashVoodoo 31 May 2020 11:06:30 6,806 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Where does one stand on losing a game save?
    Laptop shat itself yesterday with repeated BSoDs and after finally nailing it down to the battery I'd already performed system restores and eventually a win10 reinstall.

EGS doesn't have cloud backup for Subnautica so I've lost my save. I'm super fucking pissed about it as well.

I had just finished a deep run in my prawn suit, got kyanite for the last bit of my rocket and just had to find items for an enzyme which I guess was the last bit for the cure

I think I was final stretch :-/

Edited by crashVoodoo at 11:07:52 31-05-2020
  • Phattso 31 May 2020 12:26:52 26,179 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh man, that sucks. Mustíve been a good 25hrs+ to get to that point anyway? Remember that literal completion isnít necessarily the goal: not having unplayed games festering is the goal. I canít speak for the Mighty Duck, but personally Iíd consider the game done even without completing that final stretch.

Great game too, no?

Edited by Phattso at 12:27:06 31-05-2020
  • crashVoodoo 31 May 2020 12:50:42 6,806 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah I really enjoyed it, the quiet calm of diving and exploring was fantastic yet cut with extreme tension as you've wound your way through some wreckage and realise you have 20 seconds air left.

Just frustating to have got this far and not get the 'payoff'
  • Phattso 31 May 2020 13:36:50 26,179 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tell me about it. I spent a lot of time building habitats, so I'm a little bit behind you, but this and RDR2 were my lockdown games. When the One X assploded I lost access to both, and I was gutted. At least I know the saves are preserved though - I really feel your pain on losing yours.

I've moved back to the PC to finish off Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and am about to start Borderlands 3 in co-op with a friend. Had I not already bowed out unceremoniously months ago, I'd have been humped several times over by now!
  • DuckBreaker 31 May 2020 14:15:11 142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @crashVoodoo
    The Duck looks on your plight with benevolence. It verily can be considered completed and will be marked as such in goodly time.
  • crashVoodoo 31 May 2020 14:41:28 6,806 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @DuckBreaker Thanks, appreciate it
  • crashVoodoo 1 Jun 2020 00:57:59 6,806 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Far cry 5 just finished. The region I did third was Faiths and all of it was the usual UBI trippy hallucination BS. I think if I'd started with this region I might have fucked it off sooner.

Went to meet Joseph for the 'showdown' and it was indeed a nutball fight but the the finale was fantastic.

End game spoilers ahead, you have been warned... didn't really need to fight him, just revive all the people I'd rescued or found as companions throughout the game. We then all bear down on him until custscene as we arrest him and I was expecting the same walkout as the opening.

Oh no. Nuclear fucking bomb went off followed by a frantic drive to a bunker, 2 more bombs. Crashed vehicle at the bunker and I'm carried from the car underground.

Regain consciousness to find myself handcuffed to a chair and Joseph sat there with me as the world burns up top.

I'm now his 'child'.

Fade to black.

Some of the gameplay did grind and I was kind of over it halfway through the second region but that was interesting ending

Edited by crashVoodoo at 01:01:04 01-06-2020
  • Saul_Iscariot 1 Jun 2020 21:04:09 3,947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know I am out of this years challenge, but I am close to finishing Paper Mario : Colour Splash on the Wii U. And I realised that I am nearly two games away from completing my entire library on that console. If I finish Fast Racing Neo and Project Zero 5 I will have completed every game I purchased for that console. I have never done that. Not on the NES, SNES, N64,..., Master System, Megadrive,..., PS1,..., PS4, Xbox, or 360.
  • Samildanach 1 Jun 2020 23:24:51 484 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot
    Hopefully a little gold medal pops out of the console upon which it then expires in a puff of smoke.

I almost managed utter completion with both my ps2 and ps3, but a couple of games eluded completion: Castle of Shikigami 2 on PS2 because it was an awful port for Pal territories and Hitogata Happa on PS3 because of being both badly designed and having hideous aesthetics. Best of luck finishing off the WiiU.
  • Saul_Iscariot 2 Jun 2020 01:12:08 3,947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The biggest concern with finishing PZ5, is having to use the pad constantly. Games where it is a requirement mean I can only play for two and a half hours before it needs charging again. It has been a pain in the butt playing Paper Mario and having to stop because the battery is about to go flat. I tried the Bowser battle and got a whupping. May take more time than I expected. I have found it surprisingly difficult for a Mario title. Makes for a refreshing change.

Fast Racing, I can at least use a game pad. And they have an awesome battery life.

Sam, I am impressed on almost completing your PS2 library. I still have loads of games on it to complete.
  • Red_Bool 2 Jun 2020 07:01:53 2,090 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I originally started playing Skyrim on the 360, but got distracted by other new shiny games. This year was different, thanks to PWYGGWYP! (and it helps a lot that it was on the Switch - portable Skyrim = awesome)

I have persevered through all the identikit Draughr dungeons and after ~53 hours of playtime I have finally defeated Alduin (a large part of those 53 hours was getting distracted from the main quest and doing other stuff of course :)).

Although there's still plenty (PLENTY) to be done, with the main quest done I hereby consider Skyrim finished. Could you please mark it as such? Thank you.

I will be jumping back in every now and then because the world is just so much fun to be in, but for now I'd like to play something else (not sure what).
  • Ceelion 3 Jun 2020 11:48:27 553 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DuckBreaker

Oh balls. I forgot entirely about this. I'm still in though.
    Only play Animal Crossing and Rocket League (which was a game I gold stared last time by going champ. I don't know if I told anyone but I went champ)

Sekiro is still wrapped. Jedi is installed and untouched.

What's my end point for AC. Mortgage paid off? I've already put an extraordinary amount of hours into my stress buster.
  • Phattso 3 Jun 2020 11:55:03 26,179 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Ceelion the accepted completion for Animal Crossing is having a 600+ Turnip price, flinging open your gates, and having your town trashed by the regs.
  • Red_Bool 3 Jun 2020 20:13:16 2,090 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DuckBreaker

Update:
    🎯 Skyrim (Switch)
    🦆 Resident Evil 4 (Switch)

Bought RE4 in the current sale (should have been this price all along).
    Had it on Gamecube, never finished it (just as with Skyrim, got distracted by the next new shiny). It feels like I'm redeeming myself :)
  • Rodderz 3 Jun 2020 20:27:49 4,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Update: I'm currently playing through GTA V, which was the last game occupying a slot from the first half of the year, and have decided to download 🦆CoD: WWII from this months PS+.
  • DuckBreaker 3 Jun 2020 21:06:05 142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I will probably do the next update on Saturday,
    pigwhipper Ceelion is off the ropes and back in it to win it.
    Pigwhipper LoneWolf80 on the other hand is down for the count with both an unannounced FFVIIR and Animal Crossing unless they can magic up a last minute save.
  • DuckBreaker 3 Jun 2020 21:14:27 142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Ceelion
    No idea on Animal Crossing end point myself. I hate animals...and crossings. That's for that damned chicken anyway. She can feck off to the other side of the road then. Thinking she is so funny eh?

Er, anyway, if you have put in many hours into it, then you could tick it off. Perhaps set yourself a suitable end target, does the game even have a point when the credits roll?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.