Following Play What You Get, Get What You Play (2020) Page 30

• DuckBreaker 9 Sep 2020 21:38:04 122 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I have pre-ordered Remothered: Broken Porcelain so I need to have at least 1 slot clear before Oct 20th, when hopefully it arrives (and doesn't get stolen like the original Remothered).
    Pre-orders. Are they counted straight away or when the pop through the letter box/start downloading? The Duck Overlord will speak the LAW.

A pre-order will count straight away if it contains nothing different from what you would get if you bought it on the day of release. The whole essence of the challenge is to curb game buying and abandoning excess and in the example above, there is no good reason why you should buy the pre-order when you can wait like the wise man/woman/other you should aspire to.

I am willing to listen to pleas of mercy in the case of pre-orders that grant exclusive stuff that you would miss out on if you instead bought on release. I mentioned the rare limited edition print runs that sell out as an earlier example, and I may also be swayed by other exclusive content arguments, but my word is final. Like the crazed despot I really am.

Cappy and damagedinc. Do you gain anything by pre-ordering that you wouldn't get anyway on release? Make your final pleas now, before my update crushes all hope in a wave of glorious despair!!!
  • Rodderz 9 Sep 2020 21:45:29 4,283 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ^^^ 😳 Shit just got real yo! As we creep ever closer to the end of the year, and therefore the end of the challenge for 2020, the Duck has its Terminator armour on and it has pigwhippers in its sights....

Anyway, I'm being a good boy and want to update that 🎯The Surge 2 was completed earlier this week!
  • damagedinc 10 Sep 2020 04:03:24 2,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DuckBreaker

Well mario all stars is a limited release and I have acquired a hard copy that wont be charged till release. Leaving me till sep 18th to complete hyper light drifter/goroga and/or GT Sport.

I am willing to accept my failings and I did wobble with two very spontaneous purchases so therefore any result in faliure I hope will be a fitting warning to others that duckbreaker doesnt fuck about.
  • Samildanach 10 Sep 2020 09:14:40 437 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I would be inclined to have mercy on damagedinc O Evil One. Isn't there an unknown limited amount of the physical Mario game and it could potentially sell out before it is released? On top of that, if the money doesn't get taken till release anyway, then damagedinc hasn't actually bought it yet.
  • Samildanach 10 Sep 2020 09:26:22 437 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy might be in more trouble though, as the previous Remothered game is still available to buy physical so this one is unlikely to sell out, and it doesn't look like there is any exclusive stuff either. The only defence Cappy might have is if the money doesn't get taken till release day...
  • spookyxelectric 10 Sep 2020 15:20:11 197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Justice for damagedinc
  • Nazo 10 Sep 2020 15:29:53 1,465 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pre-ordering is the worst kind of ordering. They should both feel the duck's wrath.
  • crashVoodoo 10 Sep 2020 16:53:45 6,798 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Please add Control in to a slot please. It's been sat in my backlog since last year, guess I ought to play it next and it looks fairly linear with no huge world map filled with icons
  • DuckBreaker 10 Sep 2020 18:28:48 122 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Nazo has the right attitude, unlike some of the namby-pamby shite out of FAILED pigwhipper Samildnach's mouth.

Cappy is almost certainly gone. Damagedinc might get a final reprieve given the barely acceptable mitigating circumstances. Perhaps, a nasty challenge instead as punishment...
  • Cappy 10 Sep 2020 19:33:36 14,249 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Out on a game I haven't paid for, and isn't released yet.

As a rule I never pre-order it's just because it a particular style of survival horror that is all but extinct so I feel it's important to show support after the developers have put their efforts into something tailored to such niche tastes.
  • Phattso 10 Sep 2020 19:52:44 25,939 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Straight for the heartstrings!
  • crashVoodoo 10 Sep 2020 20:04:03 6,798 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Rules is rules init. I mean I've had my fair share of skirting the edges due to a ticking end date on DLC but this challenge is the reason I haven't preordered cyberpunk ... well that and I want to see and read more on it before jacking in

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:07:40 10-09-2020
  • damagedinc 10 Sep 2020 20:21:26 2,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DuckBreaker wrote:
    Nazo has the right attitude, unlike some of the namby-pamby shite out of FAILED pigwhipper Samildnach's mouth.

Cappy is almost certainly gone. Damagedinc might get a final reprieve given the barely acceptable mitigating circumstances. Perhaps, a nasty challenge instead as punishment...
    I have just completed hyperlight drifter aswell.

I enjoyed it However wasnt as amazed as some people, loved the music and little story board snippets. Got a bit ganky towards the end.

Might do a new game plus at some point
  • DuckBreaker 10 Sep 2020 20:22:44 122 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Let me just check the thread title in case it says "Society for the Rescue and Enrichment of Struggling Niche Developers in a Cruel AAA Biased World".

Nope.

Definitely doesn't say that. Update of Death incoming!
  • Rodderz 10 Sep 2020 20:41:27 4,283 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DuckBreaker

Cappy wrote:
    Out on a game I haven't paid for, and isn't released yet.

As a rule I never pre-order it's just because it a particular style of survival horror that is all but extinct so I feel it's important to show support after the developers have put their efforts into something tailored to such niche tastes.
    M'lord DuckBreaker, I would like to set out some arguments for you to contemplate, both for and against user Cappy, before final, potentially ruthless, judgment is made:

ALL newly purchased games, backlog games, dlc, expansions, season passes etc. count. It doesn't matter whether it's a new game or an old game, gamepass, game compilation, humble bundle or whatever else.

In favor to Cappy: reading the above quote from the rules there doesn't specifically appear to be mention of pre-orders counting, so a pigwhipper could be forgiven for thinking something they don't yet own isn't using up a slot before it has been paid for and has landed on their doorstep. Most websites don't take any money until the item is despatched to the purchaser, so technically Cappy hasn't "bought" anything just yet, at this stage he could even cancel! The intention for good challenge behaviour was evident too, as Cappy did explicitly state that he wanted to ensure a slot would be free by the time the game was going to be arriving.

(Possibly) Not in favor of Cappy: There is a potential technicality that appears in the written rules contained in the next paragraph after that quoted above:

As soon as you buy or otherwise obtain or install a new game, it counts. If you start playing a previosly uncompleted old / backlog game, it counts. If you can't be bothered to play a game you just bought in a sale, that's your lookout. The box can gather dust on the shelf and it will still count.

Still no mention of 'pre-orders' here however, if I was a lawyer (I'm not), I would be tempted to suggest that the ambiguous wording of 'otherwise obtain' seen in the above quote could possibly be interpreted as something like a pre-order. Yes, Cappy still hasn't technically, in monetary terms, 'purchased' his pre-ordered game just yet, but it has in a way been 'reserved' for him by the seller and the intention by Cappy to 'acquire it' ahead of time, before release day, is clear and therefore he has perhaps 'otherwise obtained' the game already!

That's my two-cents, I rest my arguments oh mighty Duck 😁

Edited by Rodderz at 20:42:01 10-09-2020
  • DuckBreaker 10 Sep 2020 20:58:49 122 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @Rodderz
    I thank you for your testimony in the court of the Duckbreaker. I have considered your words carefully, and I had indeed studied the words of these sacred texts that were spake at the beginning of this endeavour. 'Otherwise Obtain' encompasses pre-orders. Where would we be if you all could pre-order left right and centre willy nilly? In a right old mess, that's where. Besides, Pigwhipper Cappy was on thin ice anyway with his suspiciously infrequent posts with several game completions at once; and we are just SUPPOSED to believe he kept by the rules throughout?

No, Pigwhipper Cappy is to be taken from this place of justice and roasted over a hot fire whereupon we can all eat his goodly meats.

Edited by DuckBreaker at 21:20:00 10-09-2020
  • DuckBreaker 10 Sep 2020 21:19:30 122 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Sentence has been passed. Updated done.

damagedinc, you'll note Mario 3D all-stars has now been added in a slot. No second chances.

I'll mull over a suitably evil challenge for you. Hmm, Gorogoa is too short and easy. Which Gran Turismo did you get?
  • Rodderz 10 Sep 2020 21:30:56 4,283 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DuckBreaker

Thanks for the contemplation and clarification regarding the rules! Pre-orders are a no-no then, unless of course you have some free slots!

Then we bid pigwhipper Cappy farewell for this year as he roasts on the spit of shame. Buy in Peace Cappy, buy in peace.
  • Rodderz 10 Sep 2020 21:42:46 4,283 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @damagedinc

DuckBreaker wrote:

damagedinc, you'll note Mario 3D all-stars has now been added in a slot. No second chances.

I'll mull over a suitably evil challenge for you. Hmm, Gorogoa is too short and easy. Which Gran Turismo did you get?
    Heh, you've been resurrected 😇. Welcome back to the pigsty!
  • DuckBreaker 10 Sep 2020 22:00:42 122 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I have adjusted the sacred texts to make it clearer on preorders. Pigwhippers beware!
  • damagedinc 10 Sep 2020 23:21:08 2,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DuckBreaker wrote:

Thankyou my lord, justice both just and fair.

GT Sport

Just finished gorogoa aswell, bloody hell that was short. Did it in one sitting. Loved the style and was very clever. Maybe not as overwhelmed with it as others.

Edited by damagedinc at 12:21:37 11-09-2020
  • Cappy 11 Sep 2020 20:06:23 14,249 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I feel liberated.

I have about four or five grand built up in just my current account alone. Let's see if I can cause a postal employee to collapse under the sheer weight of deliveries to my address.
  • crashVoodoo 16 Sep 2020 12:14:26 6,798 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Control completed, please take it off my playlist.

The ashtray maze was something else.
  • crashVoodoo 28 Sep 2020 00:15:36 6,798 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Started playing vigor on the switch (currently 2matches).
    Tis an odd one as I don't really know what the completion criteria would be to check it off ...
  • Rodderz 28 Sep 2020 18:20:27 4,283 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Think I'm pretty much finished up with 🎯The Division: Gold Edition. I put around 70hours in, all solo, unlocked the option for world Tier 5 difficulty and got some decent equipment and weapons.

I really enjoyed this, so much so I might well potch around in some of the other modes from time to time, as it's a pretty solid cover shooter that quite often reminded me of Mass Effect. Hell, if Ubi used this template and made a space faring adventure, they'd have winner on their hands. It quite often looked stunning too which is impressive given the game is now over 4 years old.

Dunno what to play next now, so I'll have a rummage in the backlog or see what's going cheap at the moment and update then. I do have a game to add though, given the new pre-order pigwhipper rules: I got some credit on CD Keys over the weekend, as it was a bit cheaper than usual, and decided to use it on a digital pre-order for 🦆Cyberpunk 2077 via PS store. Can't wait for Nov.19th!
  • DuckBreaker 28 Sep 2020 18:41:42 122 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @Rodderz
    Well done pigwhipper Rodderz for your honest adherence to the rules. You'll go far.

Update incoming soon, if anyone has any more games to add or cross off to be included, let me know.
  • DuckBreaker 28 Sep 2020 18:58:03 122 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    We are approaching the last quarter of Pwyggwyp Challenge 2020 and as before, the challenge ends on December 20th. A list of traumatised survivors... I mean winners, will be posted on the front page for eternal posterity to honour their greatness.

But...

There are one or two among you survivors who would then sleep walk their way into the coverted Hall of Fame. Do we let them blissfully drift into victory despite a complete poverty in completed games?!

I think not! So I can now announce the FINAL BOSS of the Pwyggwyp Challenge 2020! Here it is:

In the period of time between 1st October and Midnight exactly on 20th December (UK time) you must complete ONE game.

Yes only one. For many of you this will be no trouble at all, as it is the bread and butter of this challenge. Obviously many of you will continue to beat several more than the required one game as you beat old and start new games as usual.

But for those of you that I haven't heard a peep from in a good while, you now are under my webbed foot. One game ticked off. That's all. Easy huh?

Edited by DuckBreaker at 18:59:12 28-09-2020
  • damagedinc 28 Sep 2020 19:58:41 2,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Update

Gorogoa completed as above

GT Sport. I have 100% the driver training and the missions and got a credit roll. Time played states 25+ hours. This good enough to have it removed?
  • Samildanach 28 Sep 2020 20:18:46 437 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Update

Gorogoa completed as above

GT Sport. I have 100% the driver training and the missions and got a credit roll. Time played states 25+ hours. This good enough to have it removed?
    That would be good enough to count in my book, credits rolling is a handy finish line for everything except short arcade games that could be credit fed to victory in 30mins.
  • dmj 28 Sep 2020 20:25:55 1,032 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finished Dragon Quest at the weekend. I know there’s quite a bit to do after the ‘end’ but 73 hours of wandering about is quite enough for now.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.