Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 7

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Apr 2020 23:30:33 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No new Super Robot Wars game this year, it seems, but "big plans" for next year.

I think that's a good thing. SRWT was the third game on the same engine (and most of the same assets) and definitely felt like it was stretching things too thin. Would be nice to see a new title next year which actually makes advances in tech and mission design.

And also one that uses some franchises less than 25 years old...

Not that SRWT left me pissed off...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Apr 2020 23:45:12 3,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I never got arlund to buying T (if it had been on Vita I would have preordered due to scarcity) and your reports made me wait. I still haven't finished V or started X and Gundam G Generation Genesis on Vita. I was enjoying V though so will have to get back to it some time soon. The Yamato definitely added to the atmosphere for me.

I may get T if Play Asia sell the PS4 one on a a massive sale again as Switch one seems likely to stay high. Not top of my to buy list though. Got the OG games on GBA and PS4 too to play (and Japanese GC one).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Apr 2020 23:35:08 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Somebody whose views I generally respect just recommended Song of Memories to me. Apparently starts out like a regular dating game then goes all apocalyptic.

Anybody played it? Like the sound of the concept, but it's expensive even on Steam.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Apr 2020 09:25:25 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sakura Wars is downloading now...

God alone knows when I'm going to play it. I've still got anything up to 40 hours of Persona 5 Royal to go (depending on how long the new content is), then it's over to the FF7 remake, which is virtually untouched. Sakura Wars won't get looked at until those two are done.
  • uiruki 28 Apr 2020 19:02:37 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I bought it months ago and still haven't touched it. 13 Sentinels is on the shelf too, after loving the demo. About 25 hours into Persona 5 Scramble, which is very good so far, just there's a LOT of it.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Apr 2020 19:27:48 3,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You should be able to get the PS4 Song of Memories for around a tenner. I got it months ago with the post apocalyptic promise then didn't get around to playing it.

Sakura Wars is one I am unsure of with the genre change and seemingly heavy emphasis on the dating aspect (plus not played the previous games in the series even if this is a reboot).

P5 Scramble I grabbed Japanese demo then didn't have time to play too. Not bothered with P5 Royal yet either but that one is likely going to get bought at some point.

Up to chapter 6 now of Trails in the Sky SC so enjoying that.

Even trying to cut down on purchases my backlog overwhelms... I thought about buyin Vita Blue Chebalier (with the bonus of the Revisited Starnger of Sword City) but not sure when I will realistically play it so haven't bothered with that either, reviews are also scarce.)
  • uiruki 28 Apr 2020 20:18:42 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sakura Wars has always been a "dating sim" type, just that previous games have had more strategic battles, as well as designs by Kosuke "shotgun wedding" Fujishima instead of realtime battles and artwork by the Bleach guy. One impression I got from the reviews on Amazon was that the production values aren't quite there but it seemed fun enough in the demo.

Aotsuba (or "Chevaliers L'aile Bleu" as the title screen puts it) is a decent Experience DRPG but it doesn't feel like they brought it fully up to date so Stranger does feel more advanced. I just stopped playing it at one point, not sure why. I think it's more an issue of where the Vita is nowadays than the game itself. My Vita TV has surrendered its plug and HDMI port for my Mister setup and it isn't like I can play it on my commute, notwithstanding my portable Vita having a very temperamental left stick.

The new Experience game, Yomi wo Saku Hana, is out in June on Xbone and Winter on Switch and PS4 and I'm genuinely torn between which version I want.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 May 2020 13:24:13 3,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Slightly cross posted with the SG thread as relevant there but want to support this thread too.

Spike Chunsoft have revealed (a week ago but I missed it) that Robotics;Note Elite and DaSH are actually coming out in a doublepack on October 14th on PS4, Switch and Steam, with a simple day 1 edition including a few badges in both Europe (published by Numskull) and US fir consoles. Pleasantly surprised by this as I expected two full price releases here. However for those who haven't played the original Chaos;Head I hear it really should be played (or watch a lets play if you prefer) before RN. RN is set after the Chaos and SG games and will refer to previous titles, especially the sequel. The first game came out before SG0 and CC IIRC so less prior knowledge is suggested.

Thankfully I am okay as I played the fan translation of CH before CC (took a lot of work getting the right files) and the Nitroplus part of the original game is apparently what is stopping any chance of an official release in English of CH Noah (the enhanced version with more rlutes) and no fan translation exoected any time soon.

With this release we are pretty much only missing Chaos;Head(Noah), Occultic;Nine (which has a different canon amd I assume is still unfinished in Japan) and Chaos;Head/Child Love Chu Chus (which apparently are a lot more canon than the Steins;Gate Darling's Embrace game). My main fear with this release is if the Switch version will have both games complete on cart or not as I would potentially pick that version for potential portability but will go PS4 if incomplete as I won't support that sale system. (I grudgingly dealt with SG LBP being digital only bonus with SG Elite by buying it heavily reduced and would buy iy on Switch if it got the physical 3 pack of LBP, SG0 and MDE that Japan got now that all of the games are localised (I still haven't bought MDE due to its digital only nature).
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 May 2020 12:39:42 3,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Even though I think the PC version is much nicer (added to my GOG wishlist for a physical sale) I grabbed the PS4 version of Disaster Report 4 as it hit the quick sale on the NISA store I was anticipating. 30 quid seems a fairer price and still supporting the release earlyish.

I had heard the PEGI18 was for some sexual content (rapey threats?) but the descriptor only lists violence. It is a shame as the demo was pretty teen friendly and my son would have enjoyed the game and liked the look of the demo. Guess it is short enough for me to pre-approve though, although I usually veto 18 ratings while treating 16s on a case by case basis (human like figure with sword, auto 16 rating etc... When Germany gives lower ratings you know PEGI is flawed).

I guess that leaves Kyoei Toshi as my only missing entry in the series really so will have to import that at some point as the timing for any Asian English release has long passed.

Just Xenoblade this month then a pretty clear year for must haves until October (Wasteland 3 was prebacked which is another) Still got to decide which LE order to cancel, Game or Amazon (Game costs more with a charged postage than Amazon, but generally doesnt suffer overordering issues like Amazon sometimes do but free shipping there. Both seemed to be available for preorder for far too long compared to other sites which sold out within the day but are finally unavailable to preorder...) I don't want both though so challenging risk for picking (if I pick wrong and miss out I will wait for a sale on standard game and not bother with the preorder)
  • Ror 2 May 2020 13:08:47 20,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I picked up TitS FC in the Steam Golden Week sale. Never quite finished it on Vita and have been thinking of going at it again. I could have done so on Vita, obviously, but apparently I am a fool who is soon parted from their money.
  • Graxlar_v3 2 May 2020 13:41:11 10,212 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Weirdly, I have started trials of cold steel recently. It’s really good, does make me wish TitS FC & SC would be rereleased on switch or PS4.
  • uiruki 2 May 2020 14:31:08 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They're re-releasing Zero and Ao on PS4 - given the order they were released on Vita, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sky after Hajimari comes out.
  • Mola_Ram 2 May 2020 14:37:28 23,974 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm kind of 50/50 on Xenoblade. I finished it on 3DS, which I understand was probably not the ideal way to play it. So having a remade/remastered version with the pretties and the amazing music (and whatever else they add to it) is very tempting.

But it is *such* a long game, that I don't know I really have time for. And tbh there were things about the original that were an absolute pain in the arse, that I hope have been addressed in the remake.
  • Malek86 2 May 2020 15:42:46 10,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I finally managed to get past the first day in Machi. I think that took me even longer than the last time... I started it three weeks ago.

With my job starting again on Monday, my free time is going to be drastically reduced (almost zeroed). Not sure if I'll manage to put in any more hours from now on, especially if I'm going to keep up with the backlog too, as well as Destiny 2.

Still, can always make some progress once in a while, and eventually it will end.
  • Graxlar_v3 2 May 2020 15:43:39 10,212 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    They're re-releasing Zero and Ao on PS4 - given the order they were released on Vita, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sky after Hajimari comes out.
    Re releasing? Will they get round to releasing it in the west this time?
  • uiruki 2 May 2020 16:54:34 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Who knows! I think the tough part will be the translation. Apparently the translation patch for Zero at least is very good, which works with the PC version.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 May 2020 18:08:47 3,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I picked up TitS FC in the Steam Golden Week sale. Never quite finished it on Vita and have been thinking of going at it again. I could have done so on Vita, obviously, but apparently I am a fool who is soon parted from their money.
    TitS FC on PC has a lot of improvements including translation fixes over PSP one. You can also patch in Japaneae Evo voices for the PC one if you desire. I played through it on my Linx Vision last year and currently getting towards the end of SC on the same platform. Will have to finally buy 3rd on the next GOG sale (it is on sale now on Humble and Steam but I prefer GOG and Humble's DRM free is Humble only...). I wpuld really like the new GPD Win Max but out of my price range as my Vision is very weak and aging badly (and has some inherent flaws)

Had Cold Steels on Vita and PS3 since launch but not really played them. Almost bought the PS4 ports a few time so I can crossplay with Vita and get the Japanese track but not been top priority owning the 2 Lionheart Editions and therefore needing the imported PS4 ones for crosssave.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 00:31:10 3,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So, on the topic of lesser known series, we have the Brigandine sequel out soon on Switch (and phyaicallyby Limited Run Games for less than the digital price and import price for once (and I suapect this deal has something to do with why the pricier Asian English version is not for sale oitside of Asia from Play Asia, which is a shame as they have an artbook and guide in their LE). This series passed me by on PS1 and this is a sequel not a remake. There is a demo on the eshop but not tried it yet. But being a fan of my turn based strategy (of both the Japanese and weatern variety) this looks interesting and there seems to be a little hype too. I will try the demo then decide if I break my LRG break (resisted a few games I would normally have bought in efforts to reduce game spending like Panzer Dragoon, Forgotton Anne, The Missing and Blackbird but an RPG may lure me back for now).

Anyone played the original? (or its Japanese only remake)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 May 2020 09:23:15 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see the EG review of Sakura Wars is up. I don't think I've ever seen so much hand-wringing in a "Recommended".

I've still got that on my backlog, intending to come to it once I've finished Persona 5 Royal (should be this week) and Final Fantasy VII remake (which I've barely started).
  • uiruki 4 May 2020 09:42:39 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another Malindy Hetfield review - so I take it it's another couple thousand words of the writer working out their complex relationship with Japan as a concept.

Still haven't played my copy, it's currently behind 13 Sentinels in the list for once I finish P5S and Nioh 2.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 11:03:24 3,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, her TMS review was particularly bad calling out the game as demeaning for covering the existence of parts of the idol industry deapite it a) being heavily edited in the west anyway and b) being portrayed clearly as a bad thing. I was quite surprised to see a 'harem game' getting a reccomended from her though. Whule it ia nice to see some more niche Japanese stuff getting covered I am not sure that she is always the best choice of reviewer as her gender politics do get in the way which is unfortunate as she does seem to know her stuff in general about the genres and histories of series.

I haven't really looked into the SW game too much as the overemphasis on the romance in advertising was always off-putting and the genre change of the battles made me cautious after how badly Valkyria Revolution was reviewed which also used a Musouesque system (I never bothered with it as it was universally panned). The only SW game I own is the Wii one which I haven't even loaded up. I wonder if they have an English demo of this (as I did downlaod but not play a Japanese demo, damn lockdown lose me those quiet hlurs in the day where I have house to myself and can quickly try a demo out out).
  • PazJohnMitch 4 May 2020 11:09:42 15,986 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    25 hours into FFVIIR now. Enjoyed it overall but there is a reasonable amount of shite mixed in with the good.

Got really annoyed with a crane section. Why couldn’t I pick up the box and temporarily leave Aerith on the middle platform?

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 11:10:09 04-05-2020
  • beastmaster 4 May 2020 11:11:21 20,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've got ESP Ra.De. Psi on the way. Some say that it's better than the mighty Ikaruga.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 May 2020 11:17:55 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Valkyria Revolution was a genuine contender for "worst game of the generation". It failed on every single possible level. The musou-style combat was particularly shit, given you never tended to face more than a tiny handful of enemies at once (which brought the framerate to a crawl).

Was a genuine shock when Valkyria Chronicles 4 then went on to be awesome.
  • uiruki 4 May 2020 11:26:25 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's less the politics stuff as much as it is the reviewer prioritising stuff that's not part of the game in the text. It was the same when they had Simon Parkin reviewing games, though his worst fault was the way that he often clearly thought of a conclusion to reviews before actually playing them and then twisting reality to fit (his SF X Tekken one being a big example of that). The reviewer wants to demonstrate all the knowledge they have, but they weren't able to get a commission for a feature, so they just put it into a review.

Doesn't matter anyway, I already bought the game so I'm literally not the target audience.

edit: Revolution was genuinely terrible. Sakura Wars was at least competent in the demo, which is why I decided to pick it up.

Edited by uiruki at 11:27:26 04-05-2020
  • Malek86 4 May 2020 11:38:30 10,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @beastmaster Ikaruga is too much of a weird beast to compare to other shmups. It plays too differently.

That said, for my money, Esprade is the best Cave shmup. I still prefer Sokyugurentai or Gigawing overall, but those are unlikely to resurface anytime soon.
  • uiruki 4 May 2020 11:47:57 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I never got on that well with Esprade, probably because I played it after Shikigami no Shiro and kept trying to play like that. I must admit I have a soft spot for Guwange, likely for a similar reason!

All of the Shot Triggers releases have been excellent though, well worth the cash because of all the additions. Ketsui in particular reveals a bunch of stuff that you're normally not even aware of as being important to scoring.

I'd love a Takumi CPS-2 twin pack, Giga Wing and Mars Matrix. Played a lot of Giga Wing on DC, the reflect force is such a satisfying mechanic. I then played the sequel on PS2 and it looked and ran like crap. Oh well...
  • Graxlar_v3 4 May 2020 11:58:22 10,212 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pretty sure the only reason EG would review the more ‘japanese’ games is because of the gender politics.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 May 2020 12:21:54 15,986 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Eurogamer Reviews 24 Japanese games: The hot tub scene in number 17 will sicken you.
  • Malek86 4 May 2020 13:42:38 10,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just noticed that EG reviewed Sakura Wars?

Wtf, they reviewed that and not 428. Shame on them.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.