Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 8

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 14:50:46 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I always had a soft spot for Guwange but Deathsmiles was probably the Cave gane I enjoyed most, discovered it in arcades in my year living there and it was the game I bought my Japanese 360 for (the only 360 I actually have so had a few region issues with western games I wanted). Was cheaper than buying a Deathsmiles PCB. I also liked the Mushihimesama games (but forgot to buy the 360 version of the first one leaving a hole in my collection but I do have the PC version).

I still want the 2 remaining shot triggers that are physical but waiting to see if they get localised and LRG released. I already bought Garegga. Waiting for my Darius LE from SLG too but may take a while.

Also tried the tutorial for Brigandine and it could be fun, will try the trial next. Reminds me a little bit of the old (Ubisoft?) Amiga game Celtic Legends. Only complaint so far is the battlefield can be a bit messy with lots of units...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 May 2020 14:58:12 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Deathsmiles was ace. One of the very, very few bullet-hell shooters I've ever stuck with long enough to do a single-continue playthrough.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 15:07:24 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pity the sequel wasn't as good. Was a very odd arcade release as it initially was like a demo with limited stages and a "more coming soon" when you finished the levels (and I assume an update downloaded as it was PC based hardware). Then the western 360 release being a digital only copy of the Japanese game (I have the physical of course).
  • Nazo 9 May 2020 17:38:52 1,366 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone play Judgement? Itís on sale at the moment and I could go for something Yakuza-ish but not.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 9 May 2020 18:42:24 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really enjoyed Judgement as a fan of the Yakuza series. It is nice to be in someone else's shoes in Kamurocho. The tailing missions aren't perfect but didn't put me off the game at all. The noirish tale was a nice change too and has some new minigames too (including drone racing). Plenty to do and story and characters are pretty decent. It also doesn't rely too heavily on previous characters from the series. Substories are the usual Yakuza brand of crazy too which is always fun.
  • Malek86 9 May 2020 18:47:26 10,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finishing Nier Automata the other day got me thinking about Moon again. Thought it could be released soon, but the devs said the localisation is still far from complete. Can't wait to play it again in proper English.

Weird that, of all the games that I could be hyped for on the Switch, the biggest one is a port of 23 years old PS1 game.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 May 2020 18:48:29 10,212 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Played an hour and a bit of sekura wars, the constant switching between voiced and non voiced lines, often in the same conversation put me off massively... so I went back to cold steel (which has the same issue on occasion but no where near as bad)
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 9 May 2020 22:34:01 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 I have my eye on that one too.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 May 2020 11:33:59 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also in the other thread,
    And as a minor update Spike Chunsoft confirmed to me that the Switch version of Robotics;Note double pack will be complete on cartridge on Switch (and both on the disc on PS4 of course).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2020 15:47:34 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Started Sakura Wars today, now that I'm done with P5R and FF7R. My word, it is a cheesy, silly bit of fluff. Actually pretty well put together, though the sudden flipping between voiced and unvoiced bits of dialogue is a bit disconcerting.

Like the atmosphere and the general non-combat stuff. The combat itself is a bit meh, though. It's a musou, with the same basic setup as Senran Kagura (unlike the official Musou series, it has an air-game), but incredibly basic so far and with only so-so control response. The first boss went down as soon as I unleashed both characters' specials on it (having entered battle with them both fully charged).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 May 2020 10:18:06 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    People may have them already, but the latest Bandai Namco bundle on Humble is a good way of getting some decent JRPGs very cheap - Tales of Berseria and the .hack//GU remaster in particular.
  • Malek86 21 May 2020 11:44:38 10,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Holy crap, Baroque port for the Switch. And it's the original version, not the remake.

It's very unlikely to be picked for localisation, but that's never stopped me. Besides, I have played it so many times already.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:44:47 21-05-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 May 2020 15:01:06 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Holy crap, Baroque port for the Switch. And it's the original version, not the remake.

It's very unlikely to be picked for localisation, but that's never stopped me. Besides, I have played it so many times already.
    Cool, I have dabbled with the Saturn version bit never given it a proper go. There is a chance it could get localised if not too much text in it...

Edit. - I see Sting has done other ports which remain unlocalised ao maybe not...

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 15:03:34 21-05-2020
  • uiruki 21 May 2020 15:48:16 5,243 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Fairy Tail game has been delayed by another month, to 30 July. As someone who doesn't follow anime/manga in general a licensed game ordinarily wouldn't be of interest but the Gust connection has my attention so it's a little bit of a shame, but in the scheme of things a second delay isn't much of a problem.
  • uiruki 11 Jun 2020 23:01:57 5,243 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well, that sure was a PS5 presentation. Wonder how well they're doing at ejecting all Japanese from decision making positions at Japan Studio in favour of the people behind Invizimals and Team Buddies.

Anyway, I've been playing probably the last Xbox One exclusive game (though it has PS4 and Switch ports planned for the Winter) - Yomi wo Saku Hana. The name might not mean much (literally "flowers bloomed by Hades") but it's the new title from Experience, and their first all-new dungeon RPG since the moderately rubbish beginner's DRPG Ray Gigant in 2015. And it really seems like they've been bottling up ideas until now as it seems to be excellent!

First things first, it's graphically terrible. 1080p30 on my Xbox One X, and the great character artwork is marred by a horrible chromatic aberration-type filter on it. That's a big shame because I otherwise really like the setting: at the end of the 1970s a big mine appears in Tokyo, and you're part of a small, straggling company - to the point where instead of being able to employ big burly men with pickaxes and shotguns and stuff, all the people you can create are women, children or (gasp) the elderly. They all come with little stories too, even though they're effectively empty characters: my archer's a policewoman with a penchant for chasing crims in her little cop car while my warrior is a sukeban who's saving money to bail her senpai out of jail after she covered her, for example. Everything goes sideways, calling to mind the gory Shi'in or NG (thankfully I haven't seen any "erotic horror" yet) and leaving you trapped and looking for a way out while some guy taunts you down the one-way radio.

Mostly this is standard DRPG fare, mapping out floors and defeating enemies. This one does push things a little more than previous ones, though; through the power of flowers (the 'Hana' of the title) you can set up doors, cross chasms and even set up enemy traps for extra loot potential. The battle system's been flipped around a bit too; no longer do you simply set your characters to use their 0MP skills and run through turns in turbo mode as they have made all skills cost MP, while giving you options to mitigate MP consumption or damage. It's a lot more interactive, even while skipping through turns, at this stage.

I'm about 3 hours in, albeit distracted by this PS5 stream, and still on the first 'floor' so the maze is definitely a deep one. If you're interested in dungeon RPGs definitely keep an eye out for it; God only knows what they'll call it in English but ten seconds of thought gives me "Hell's Bloom" which isn't completely awful without getting rid of the 'flower' in the title.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 Jun 2020 12:32:56 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks for the report, hopefully it will get a localisation. Regarding names I was very surprised when NG basically kept its name over here...

In other news we finally have the localisation announcement for Thirteen Sentinels: Aegis Rim for PS4 by Atlus USA so it should be a decent localisation. (I imagine Sega will publish it here but you never know). Oddly they will be patching an English dub in with a later patch, but as I wouldn't use the dub that is irrelevant to me.
    http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2020/10522.html
  • uiruki 13 Jun 2020 13:05:23 5,243 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, once I get finished with Persona 5 Scramble I'll be going back onto that. Hopefully they release a demo as that's what sold me; if I hadn't tried it I would have just assumed it was a basic visual novel and ignored it. I know the current wisdom is that demos make no difference at best and actively harmful to sales at worst but three of the games I grabbed while in Japan were ones I would have ignored but for the demos.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Jun 2020 01:41:59 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have the demo for it and P5 Scramble but getting peace on TV to play things in Japanese is difficult at the moment.

Hopefully we will get the demo of 13Sentinels though as it could help sales.
  • uiruki 14 Jun 2020 23:42:53 5,243 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got back into a few hours for 13 Sentinels now that I finished P5S (see the completed games thread - it's very very good) and man, it's a dense game. I mean in terms of plot, references, characters - playing the tower defence segment for the first time since the start of the year was genuinely stressful.

If they don't release a demo and you're reading this thread, then just trust me and buy the thing when it comes out. I'm definitely not a visual novel person, so don't be put off by the genre; it's much closer to a point and click in that you're moving your character around, and in any case the game fully explains its branching points so you know where and when you can do something differently - so the only stress is knowing what happens next.

And it's constantly doing that! I wonder if it can keep it up but 6-7 hours in, it's basically Cliffhanger: The Game (and not the one that came out on Mega CD either). I've seen references to V, Star Wars, the firebombing of Tokyo in 1945, basically all of the early 1980s, Robot Jox (obviously), Vanillaware style food - it's just all in there. And fully voiced. I'm less than 15% through the story too, according to the main menu, which seems right as most writeups I've seen peg it at 50 hours. If it can keep this up then it's going to be a major influence on how I see games in the future. Given the number of famous game directors who have already come out in its support, I have every reason to believe it follows through.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jun 2020 18:42:07 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Looks like a play-asia listing might have just leaked a new Super Robot Wars game, due April next year for PS4, PS5 and Switch. No further details at present, including on whether it's a franchise or OG title. If it's franchise, my three big hopes would be:

- Let's get some new assets, particularly if this is a PS5 title. Some of the art and animation animations have been unchanged for three games now.

- Work on the mission design. SRWX made good progress here, with more varied missions, but SRWT backslid massively, with pretty much every mission just being "plough through endless waves of enemies".

- More recent franchises, fewer nostalgia ones. SRWT had only a single franchise from the '10s. Would be lovely to get a better mix for a new title, with plenty to choose from (Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, Macross Delta, Valvrave, Granbelm, M3, hell... even something left-field like Symphogear). Could possibly even give Zeta and ZZ Gundam a break?
  • uiruki 20 Jun 2020 00:11:08 5,243 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just had to stop playing 13 Sentinels because otherwise I'd be on until at least 2am. It's just so easy to keep going, almost cynically degined to be the videogame equivalent of a page turner - just one more chapter, I want to see what happens to this character, if I clear this wave I can unlock this upgrade.

The soundtrack is also totally fantastic, the last couple of missions in the tower defence game had Hitoshi Sakimoto come in and it's like a mix of what he did for FF12 and Radiant Silvergun. It's one of the reasons I bought some new headphones. 16 hours, and about a third done.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Jun 2020 00:18:50 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Good to hear that 13 Sentinels has turned oit well after its troubled development raising a few flags. I will probably preorder it when available over here.

As for Robot Wars I need to get back and fi ish V which I was enjoying. Haven't even touched X and didnt buy T. Also got Gundam G Generation Genesis to play too in the robotty strategy games.

Currently playing through Trails in the Sky 3rd though which I am enjoying despite its odd pacing.
  • uiruki 20 Jun 2020 00:29:22 5,243 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think Kamitani had to go through and rewrite it? It definitely seems like something where you really have to have a tight grip on any writing staff, given the number of characters. I think realistically they would have had a lot of trouble fitting all the art and voices into the 3.5GB Vita limit too, at least without mangling it all down. My PS4 Pro is starting to have trouble with the battle sequences too - just too many units on screen for the CPU to handle.

Hope you do OK with 3rd, it's probably still my least favourite (even after what Cold Steel 3 did!) because of the ridiculous dungeon reuse coming immeditely from SC and Erika really, really rubbing me the wrong way. I found Kevin super mopey and annoying too. If you don't come from SC then you'll probably do better, though I still have weird flashbacks to a stealth section in a city. That might be SC, I just remember being really angry at a PSP.

Edited by uiruki at 00:30:38 20-06-2020
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Jun 2020 23:49:40 6,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Always wondered if I'd see another Way of the Samurai game......

Just found it. They murdered my boy.

Katana Kami : A Way of the Samurai Story, currently in the sale. Except it's been mauled into a randomly generated dungeon, isometric hack'n'slash. Such a shame......
  • uiruki 27 Jun 2020 00:03:11 5,243 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's a kind of side story isn't it? Like Kamiwaza was for Shinobido. Except I guess it doesn't have the insane physics I remember seeing in the demos when that came out.

edit: I don't think they released Ukiyo no Shishi/Roushi in English. I think they're closer to what you want, for PS3 or Vita.

Edited by uiruki at 00:11:30 27-06-2020
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Jun 2020 00:14:50 6,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quick search found this:

https://www.siliconera.com/acquire-developers-on-how-a-cancelled-way-of-the-samurai-5-led-to-katanakami/

Hadn't realised they were even trying to line up a fifth. Doesn't exactly sound too promising, but you never know.

Ed: Never knew about Ukiyo no Shishi/Roushi. Might dust off the Vita for Roushi if there's any attempt at an Eng patch.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 00:27:09 27-06-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Jun 2020 12:21:14 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So... The World Ends With You is getting an anime adaptation. Square-Enix do like to make sure people don't forget that game. Wonder if they've got a sequel on the horizon?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Jun 2020 12:26:16 3,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really do need to do a second playthrough of TWEWY as I recall it was one of thise games where you get more story second time around. Cobsjdered tge Switch version for its extra content but heard it wasn't very good so skipped it. With that being the case not sure they could do a sequel justice on current hardware anyway. Not that I expect to see one.
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Jun 2020 23:14:22 10,212 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    I really do need to do a second playthrough of TWEWY as I recall it was one of thise games where you get more story second time around. Cobsjdered tge Switch version for its extra content but heard it wasn't very good so skipped it. With that being the case not sure they could do a sequel justice on current hardware anyway. Not that I expect to see one.
    Yeah, the switch version was not good on the old hands, it made me hate myself playing.
  • Humperfunk 2 Jul 2020 14:00:42 8,196 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm at the end of Sakura Wars at the moment - managed to plough through beginning of chapter 4 right to the end in one day (was intensive playing), have been spending all my time before doing the final convo to finish the game doing the battle bot simulations. Have to say, not sure I should have started because you have to play through every combat section another four times minimum (five if you didn't get the S rank which fortunately I have for most), I've come too far now to not finish it!

Was going to go for the Platinum but the Koi Koi Wars thing, plus playing through the last two chapters another four times on top of the extra eight sections as mentioned above has absolutely killed that for me.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.