Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 9

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jul 2020 14:17:31 8,979 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Humperfunk Koi Koi Wars is... not quick. There's no way I'm getting the platinum on this.
  • Ror 2 Jul 2020 14:50:05 20,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So SINoALICE is out (on both Android and iOS, I think?). Merch for this was everywhere when I was in Japan, but I still know basically nothing about it other than Yoko Taro/Keiichi Okabe/Monaca.

I've downloaded it based on just those things, but I will probably do what I do with every mobile game, which is play it for 20 minutes and then forget it exists (well, with the exception of Terra Wars which lasted a few hours).
  • uiruki 2 Jul 2020 15:55:33 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Never really got into that. I did get the Nier characters when the Japanese version had the crossover but it does want you to use the actual story characters in their story sections. Also it pushes one of those shitty guild war modes which takes place one fixed hour a day, not decided by you.

edit: One I did like that I'm still collecting daily bonuses for is the SaGa one; if nothing else it has the music and the battle system comes over to a mobile game fairly well. Characters are introduced through shots of their most famous moments too, like for RS3 you'll have one of the versions of Katarina after cutting her hair, or fat Robin is shown stuck in a barrel. It's pretty generous with rolls too, I have 22 10-roll tickets for the 18 month anniversary celebration and 90,000 yen worth of the ingame currency for rolling on other banners.

Edited by uiruki at 15:58:53 02-07-2020
  • Humperfunk 2 Jul 2020 21:01:26 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah just finished, got 87% of the trophies so I'm happy with that. Replaying every single battle sequence five times really wasn't fun, no idea why I did that. Well I do, I wanted the trophy because I'm a trophy whore. But done now, not gonna bother with the other endings because I can't face replaying a chapter and a half for each one!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jul 2020 21:09:45 8,979 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Humperfunk Still, it's a fun and surprisingly pretty game, even if it does have some odd design decisions. I think I'm enjoying it so far. Kinda wish they'd stayed with the turn based combat from the old games, though (even if it was easy as hell in So Long My Love).
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Jul 2020 19:21:03 3,953 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I see Kodaka (of Danganronpa fame)'s new game snuck out a few weeks ago on Switch (and, *spit*, mobile) and in a few weeks on PC (PS4 upcoming). Death Come True, an FMV adventure game. Seems to have been pretty well reviewed from the spoiler avoiding skim reads I have tried. Also supposed to be on the shorter side which is always a bonus. Oddly listed as a PEGI 7 on the UK eshop which doesn't seem to match the description. Might wait to see if there is any sign of a physical before getting it though.
  • Humperfunk 6 Jul 2020 20:51:02 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooh interesting. Will have a read to see what its about. Not in a rush for new games so may wait for PS4 potentially.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2020 08:58:37 8,979 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So Atelier Ryza gets a direct sequel. Gust very much got their eyes on the thighs.

Seriously, though, I liked the first Ryza game. Ultra laid-back atmosphere, entertaining cast and a surprisingly decent battle system.
  • uiruki 21 Jul 2020 09:59:35 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, it was definitely the best Atelier game for a long while and didn't really have any big disappointments aside from my usual complaining about how since the Koei takeover their music department has been massively defunded.

Yomi wo Saku Hana (the dungeon RPG I mentioned I was playing through earlier) has been confirmed for October on PS4 and Switch; what makes this unusual is the way they are distributing it. There's a standard edition which contains everything that was in the Xbox version, but they are also putting out a version which has only the 'main scenario' as they describe it, with a 2000 yen discount and a separate 2000 yen DLC to get the 'post-game'. The issue I have with this is, the 'main scenario' isn't a satisfying conclusion to the game at all and you have to play through the post-game to actually get an ending. I can sort of see what they are going for in a kind of Project $10 kind of way but I can't help but feel like they're going to annoy people by presenting this as allowing you to play through the 'main scenario'.

In other other news, the Touhou dungeon crawler, Touhou no Meikyuu, came out last week. Though there was no demo directly, the original PC version does have a demo available and in spite of the usual doujin game jankiness (no fullscreen or even screen scaling so I'm stuck in a tiny window, no controller support, plays at 200% speed on my 120hz monitor) it seems like a streamlined kind of Etrian type of game (hence the name!) with some more forgiving systems like being able to instantly return home. I got a mail from Nintendo telling me I have a bunch of gold points which are about to expire so I think I will probably take the plunge once I finish Death Stranding. 57 hours and counting on that.

Edited by uiruki at 10:09:03 21-07-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Jul 2020 10:37:07 3,953 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I guess the Yomi wo Saku Hana ports pretty much open up a localisation by NISA or Aksys. I imaginevwe will only get the full version here as too niche to risk messing around with.
  • Ror 22 Jul 2020 15:42:48 20,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I missed this from about a week ago, but Square Enix set up a new label for action games. The first game is set to be revealed tomorrow.
  • Malek86 22 Jul 2020 20:26:59 10,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror one hour after the MS reveal. It will probably be announced during the streaming then.
  • Ror 22 Jul 2020 20:59:14 20,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Malek86 Yeah, I was thinking the same.

Hopefully this new initiative gets a bit more budget than Tokyo RPG Factory.
  • uiruki 23 Jul 2020 18:10:51 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sounds like it's a single game but one notable thing: both Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima are working on it. The last time they did that was Sonic Adventure.

edit: watched the trailer and it looks really rough visually. Gameplay looking pretty stiff. Plenty of time to fix it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVNsnrPkCI8

Edited by uiruki at 18:53:38 23-07-2020
  • uiruki 28 Jul 2020 16:48:42 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Some good news - Coven and the Labyrinth of Galleria (the sequel to Refrain) now has a release date in Japan again: November 26. That gives me maybe seven weeks after the release of Mary Skelter Final? Easy.

The craziest thing? A physical Vita version's still coming. I thought they stopped making Vita carts.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jul 2020 16:50:29 8,979 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And it looks like a Western release is confirmed for Persona 5 Scramble. They took their own sweet time on that!
  • uiruki 28 Jul 2020 17:03:01 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I did like that game. When Koei get these Musou crossovers right it really lifts it on both sides of the game. I went in expecting some Musout style levels with story bits inbetween and came out with an actual continuation of Persona 5.

I also see that Fairy Tale and Gundam EXVS Maxi Boost ON are out this week. I was thinking of Fairy Tale as I do like my Gust but fifty five smackers on Steam with no discount is a bit rich for my blood.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jul 2020 17:08:15 8,979 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I did like that game. When Koei get these Musou crossovers right it really lifts it on both sides of the game. I went in expecting some Musout style levels with story bits inbetween and came out with an actual continuation of Persona 5.

I also see that Fairy Tale and Gundam EXVS Maxi Boost ON are out this week. I was thinking of Fairy Tale as I do like my Gust but fifty five smackers on Steam with no discount is a bit rich for my blood.
    I've never seen so much as a single episode of Fairy Tale, but have heard good things about the upcoming RPG and was tempted by it on the basis of the Steam store page. But oh my word, that asking price...

Too steep to take a punt on the game, at that level.
  • uiruki 28 Jul 2020 17:20:12 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, maybe if I had affection for the series I'd be OK with it. I paid effectively 80 quid for Yomi wo Saku Hana as I had to get a 10,000 yen Xbox ticket and I'll be doing similar amounts for Galleria and next month's Hajimari no Kiseki (it's next month already, and next month starts this weekend!)

I'm in two minds on Gundam. I liked the last one a lot and there's a solid single player component, but I wrenched my left shoulder a few days back and playing Gundam EXVS is the opposite of recovery.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jul 2020 17:35:31 8,979 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @uiruki I think I'm burned out of Gundam. I played a lot of those games back in the PS3 era, particularly the Dynasty Warriors crossovers. But after a while, it gets very samey - the same mecha, the same (bland) characters, the same slightly pious tone.

I'd be much more up for it if they went the Super Robot Wars route and mixed in some other franchises as well, even if they were stuck with just the Sunrise ones. Pretty sure the Villkiss could kick the arse of any Gundam around. :)
  • uiruki 28 Jul 2020 17:48:17 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    EXVS is the arcade series so there's no worrying about story or tone, but I think on a home console is the only way I can play EXVS as whenever I'm in Japan I'm too terrified of not only losing horribly but also wasting the time and money of whichever poor sap I'm paired with.

They're really fun games with obscene numbers of playable units (180+ in this one) but there's a very high skill ceiling and it's not exactly easy to control with lots of double tapping and the kind of button layout you'd expect from a 2001 arcade 3d fighting game where you have to try and track two targets at once. I'm not a huge Gundam fan or anything but there's definitely enough there to hook you if you put in the time.
  • Humperfunk 28 Jul 2020 19:24:43 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    And it looks like a Western release is confirmed for Persona 5 Scramble. They took their own sweet time on that!
    Phenomenal news, about time!
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Jul 2020 19:27:29 10,212 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Any date?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Jul 2020 23:18:37 3,953 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Some good news - Coven and the Labyrinth of Galleria (the sequel to Refrain) now has a release date in Japan again: November 26. That gives me maybe seven weeks after the release of Mary Skelter Final? Easy.

The craziest thing? A physical Vita version's still coming. I thought they stopped making Vita carts.
    I still need to get around to properly playing my Coven - Labyrinth of Refrain (enjoyed the demo) and 2 Mary Skelter games... Hoping they both get localised and physical copies though (although I wouldn't be surprised if the VN thingy in MS Final gets missed out... Didn't MS 1 or 2 have a digital only VN style thing too?)

Currently way behind on my Kiseki and playing through Trails 3rd (about 40 hours through so probably not got too far to go as I hear it is shorter than the rest) and got Zero ready next (legit purchase from DLSite no less, albeit to be played with the fan translatuon which is supposed to be good). Had the Cold Steels for ages (Vita and PS3, got to decide if it is really worth paying again for PC or PS4 to get the Japanese voices as I have played Trails 2nd and 3rd with them)

As for Vita carts, only Asia and Japan can still manufacture them, US and Europe were stopped last year.

Need to preorder Yakuza 7 and 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim at some point too... Got Robotics;Note and Cold Steel IV double pack preordered already. Will probably look at P5 Scramble too as I hear it is reasonable (although I seem to recall hearing Switch had performance issues). Thought about and passed on the new Sakura Wars, maybe if it gets cheaper in the future...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jul 2020 23:40:18 8,979 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Any date?
    Hah! You want everything, you do!
  • uiruki 29 Jul 2020 09:22:54 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:

I still need to get around to properly playing my Coven - Labyrinth of Refrain (enjoyed the demo) and 2 Mary Skelter games... Hoping they both get localised and physical copies though (although I wouldn't be surprised if the VN thingy in MS Final gets missed out... Didn't MS 1 or 2 have a digital only VN style thing too?)
    I know MS2 had a little bonus game but it was for preorders only so I didn't get it. Just checked the site and they're doing the same again this time around. Also remembered how dodgy the 'purification' stuff was - all part of the price of getting a DRPG nowadays I guess. I still think it's worth it as the chase segments are a nice take on the FOEs from Etrian and the 'blood farm' feature reminds me a lot of trapping in the Experience games. Wonder if they'll up the difficulty this time as it all got a bit trivial towards the end. The team switching suggests the maps could get quite complex. Not sure if they will beat that time I accidentally went too far without a map in Operation Abyss and solved a spinner maze old school style without a compass!

I ended up rushing through Sky 3rd as a few of the characters and the reuse of areas rubbed me up the wrong way. Annoyingly one of those characters is in the new game. There is some stuff in there which makes sense later on so don't skip everything like I did.

Definitely get 13 Sentinels, it's brilliant even if you don't like VN type games. RGG 7 is excellent too, even after all this time since I finished it I still think it's probably my favourite in the series. I hope they pull their fingers out and get Japanese text in the PC version as I'd like a reason to go through it again.

Edited by uiruki at 09:33:51 29-07-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Jul 2020 11:28:27 3,953 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I heard that at least in MS2 after doing the minigame once (or once per character) you could pretty much skip it, is that right? I think Eye of the Beholder was one of my first spinner mazes armed with maths paper to map it... Fun figuring lut where you actually ended up...

I am trying to do all of the doors in Sky 3rd and enjoying it so far and have finished the fishing door that apparently lots of people get stuck on for too long... A few combat doors are above my capability at the moment but will go back to them later. I think I have just grabbed my last character cube storywise (second of the previously unplayable characters in the roster to avoid spoilers).

Even after playing Japanese demo I am still hoping RGG7's battle system works well throughout but reports seem to be positive (including from yourself). I am a bit concerned about 2 of the jobs classes being DLC or are they just reskins/unnecessary ones ?
  • uiruki 29 Jul 2020 14:18:13 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, you can just do it from a menu.

RGG7's battle system actually improves and speeds up as you go through; you get more stuff to do and they do a decent job of differentiating characters. I didn't get the preorder jobs and didn't miss them, to be honest. They are different but there's still plenty of variety in what you get. The management game is also super easy without the extra guys in that, it just takes a bit of time.
  • uiruki 29 Jul 2020 16:39:47 5,243 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The demo for Nippon Ichi's latest 5,000-selling game, Mad Rat Dead, is on Switch. Don't think I'll be buying it. Yet another N1 game that runs badly on Switch while displaying maybe two objects and a couple of background layers, the game system is irritating and I don't like the music at all - a big issue when you're meant to play to the rhythm.

I think that they went for a kind of Crypt of the Necrodancer type thing in that you can only really move by pressing buttons to the beat but they added platforming to it and I think it's just herky jerky and unsatisfying.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.