Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 10

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Jul 2020 17:08:32 9,361 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @uiruki Jank in a Nippon Ichi game? Sir, surely you jest!
  • uiruki 29 Jul 2020 17:11:02 5,359 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Call me unreasonable but I do think that a game with two background layers and maybe three 2d characters with a lightly animated HUD should run at 60 frames a second on the same machine that has Super Mario Odyssey on it.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Jul 2020 17:31:07 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As someone how hate watched the entire run of fairy tale. I am finding myself curiously interested in the game.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Jul 2020 17:32:26 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Call me unreasonable but I do think that a game with two background layers and maybe three 2d characters with a lightly animated HUD should run at 60 frames a second on the same machine that has Super Mario Odyssey on it.
    I think roguey is suggesting that Nippon games tend to be garbage fires and whilst you can expect more, you cant really 'expect' more.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Jul 2020 17:52:35 4,022 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I saw that on their western atore and promptly ignored it. Void Terrarium caught my eye a bit more but still have to play the demo and not sure if I care for another roguelike.
  • uiruki 29 Jul 2020 17:57:42 5,359 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's really frustrating because they seem to be really great at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Either it's something like Refrain, where they score a decent sized hit (when you have Kazuya Niinou raving about your dungeon RPG you know you got it right) and then completely fuck up following it up with a super late Switch port and a massively delayed sequel, or games which should have never made it past the first couple of prototypes (like that knight training game or their dreadful 3D RPGs), or stuff where they couldn't be bothered to see the game through to the end (like Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 where they clearly forgot to balance the last third or so of the game, or the horrific initial release of Disgaea remake which was literally a HD skin on top of the original PC port with no improvements and released it for full price). I personally got hit by a few of those.

There was a story a few weeks back of a shareholder at the last shareholder meeting asking if they had a plan to actually increase sales rather than wallowing in the low 5 figures for everything and they didn't really have an answer. Did you know they released an action RPG last month? It was a bug-filled mess. It's already less than half price on Amazon. I literally found out about it five minutes ago while seeing what they'd released recently.

edit: Oh yeah, Void Terrarium too, which seems to be a roguelike about torturing a small girl? There's some really fucked up stuff going on in some of their games for seemingly no reason. I think they saw that Hundred Knight and Refrain did well, noted that they get a bit edgy and just steamed ahead.

Edited by uiruki at 17:59:41 29-07-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Jul 2020 17:59:04 9,361 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    All I know about Fairy Tail is...

1) It's one of those big ultra-long-running shonen shows that I never like.
    2) Didn't it have some kind of big multi-year hiatus in the middle? Maybe?
    3) It's much more fanservicey than the likes of Bleach or Naruto.

The trailers do look much more interesting than I'd have expected, but that price tag looks like a show-stopper unless reviews are spectacular. And I note there seems to be a total embargo on pre-release reviews.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Jul 2020 18:54:44 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    All I know about Fairy Tail is...

1) It's one of those big ultra-long-running shonen shows that I never like.
    2) Didn't it have some kind of big multi-year hiatus in the middle? Maybe?
    3) It's much more fanservicey than the likes of Bleach or Naruto.

The trailers do look much more interesting than I'd have expected, but that price tag looks like a show-stopper unless reviews are spectacular. And I note there seems to be a total embargo on pre-release reviews.
    It is all of those things... the fan service and blatant sexism ramped up massively after the hiatus as well. I really disliked watching almost all of it but I decided last year I was going to watch it and so I did.

And yes, I agree about price/review except the review scores will not be from what I consider to be actual reviewers and not people who run their own fan sites.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Jul 2020 19:00:13 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @uiruki I get weekly prinny bomb emails and tend to get quite excited about the new releases until it becomes clear that they are almost all fairly set in middling to poor and I end up not getting any of them.

Having said that disgaea is always a day one purchase, I very much enjoy danganrompa and the trails series is one of my favourite RPG series of all time (even though I have been unable to play 3 of the games due to silly release decisions).
    I am hoping prinny 1 & 2 rerelease is as good as it looks.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Jul 2020 19:06:02 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh couldnít agree more with witch and the hundred knight 2. That swing between nice relaxing dungeon crawler to dying over and over again is enough to give you whiplash.
  • Ror 29 Jul 2020 19:07:11 20,321 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    N1 just publish some of those games though, right? Trails is Nihon Falcom, and Danganronpa is Spike Chunsoft IIRC.

Edited by Ror at 19:10:56 29-07-2020
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Jul 2020 19:07:50 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    N1 just publish some of those games though, right? Trails is Nihon Falcom, and Danganronpa is Spike Chinsoft IIRC.
    Yeah but as they are the people to make me aware of them, they are NIS games to me.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Jul 2020 19:57:21 4,022 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Recently I have bought more of NISA's published for other folks' games than their own. I did enjoy the Yomiwari games and Blind Princess and Void Terrarium is the closest in look to those smaller games for a while (hadn't looked into actual gameplay though, just downloaded the Japanese demo months ago and left it...)

I stopped buying Disgaea games after 3 when I realised I wasn't playing them nor even feeling like I wanted to... Mostly grabbed their Experience Inc stuff, The above selfmade smaller games and stuff like the Psikyo Collections, Langrisser and Disaster Report 4. I have preordered ToCS IV from them though... Even thiugh the whole school aspect of the Cold Steel games seems off putting (which is odd as I don't mind the later Persona games). Same with Fire Emblem 3 Houses. Haven't even played it for the same reasons.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Jul 2020 07:50:43 9,361 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    And yes, I agree about price/review except the review scores will not be from what I consider to be actual reviewers and not people who run their own fan sites.
    Reviews are lukewarm, game's less of an RPG than I'd thought and the PC version is apparently a dumpster fire. So that makes the "no buy" decision much easier.
  • Graxlar_v3 30 Jul 2020 08:05:29 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Reviews are lukewarm, game's less of an RPG than I'd thought and the PC version is apparently a dumpster fire. So that makes the "no buy" decision much easier.
    Itís fallen into the wait for a sale category finally. Considering crosscode has been patched now and I havenít touched paper mario itís not like I needed it right now anyway.
  • Graxlar_v3 30 Jul 2020 08:05:30 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Itís fallen into the wait for a sale category finally. Considering crosscode has been patched now and I havenít touched paper mario itís not like I needed it right now anyway.
  • Malek86 31 Jul 2020 11:27:02 10,521 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Moon is finally getting released on August 27th.

That's 23 years after its original release, and only 3 years after I played it. Well, I don't mind playing it again.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 31 Jul 2020 13:38:31 4,022 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have managed to avoid playing Moon so far so hoping a physical is due (I expect it to be Limited Run Games though as they just did Onion Games' Blackbird a few months back. In other news my physical Brigandine is on the way from the aforementioned LRG...
  • Clart 2 Aug 2020 19:49:20 1,168 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Where do people generally get their imported switch games from? Just wondering if itís best to get them digital and if so, which region is best for price and English language support, or if itís best to get them from somewhere like play-asia?
  • uiruki 2 Aug 2020 20:29:39 5,359 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I buy them digitally. I've got a credit card registered on my Japanese 3DS so I can just charge directly with that, though I understand getting a new card on there might be more difficult now. I also have a Japanese New 3DS which means I can charge up a Suica card on my iPhone and then use the NFC reader on that. Hopefully they let you do that on Switch at some point.

A lot of games now are just one version for all languages so making a US account might be more worth it unless you're an idiot like me.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Aug 2020 21:25:26 4,022 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I still go physical. Amazon Japan or Play Asia and occasionally local resellers (to avoid customs charges I prefer to prepay taxes too) such as Bazaar Bazaar. 365 Games sometimes does imports too. You will get a markup on the local shops though. Have used Heavy Arm in the past too.
  • uiruki 4 Aug 2020 10:31:41 5,359 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Did anyone get Gundam Extreme Versus? 45 quid seems pretty good value compared to what I'm used to paying and there's a good amount of stuff for even a solo player to do offline.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Aug 2020 20:14:39 4,022 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And me not buying the Blue Chevalier game pays off, NISA announce it on Switch as Saviors of Sapphire Wings/
    Stranger of Sword City Revisited in early 2021. Shall have to preorder that and decide on the LE as I liked the Operation Abyss/Babel and Sword City sets. With chances of this, Ys IX (depending if they fix PS4 performance which I hear is poor or do a good PC port) and possibly Shin Megami Tensei V and Nocturne remaster looks like a busy first quarter...

Edit - I suppose the release also makes it likely that NISA will do Yomi wo Saku Hana too which would be nice (while I expect the third Spirit Hunter game to stay with Aksys)

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 23:06:18 05-08-2020
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Aug 2020 22:57:16 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bounced off Okami on PS2, bought it again on Wii but still didnít like it. Think I might have it on PS+ but for some reason bought it again on Switch as I fancied some old school Zelda.

Finally it has clicked.
  • uiruki 6 Aug 2020 01:01:37 5,359 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ys 9 is a good candidate for PS5 backward compatibility as I'm pretty sure it's limited by the CPU, not the GPU. They improved it to an extent with patches but it still gets bad in the city. Turning down the resolution on PS4 Pro makes absolutely no difference which is another hint to that being the issue.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2020 18:10:10 9,361 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well here's some promising news.

Persona 3:FES would be the obvious back-catalogue game I'd want on PC. In my memory, it's a better (albeit rougher-edged) game than P4, so I'd like to see if it still stacks up. As for Persona 5: Royal, I've already completed it twice on PS4 (base game once, then Royal), so I would absolutely be up for playing it again on PC.

But outside of the main-series Persona games, it'd also be nice to see PC ports of some of the other Shin Megami Tensei-verse titles on a modern (and enduring) platform. Hell, I wouldn't say no to the 3DS-era Persona dungeon-crawlers.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Aug 2020 18:17:25 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Rogueywon Persona 3:fes is probably not the better game. 3ís main gameplay element is the 100 floor tower! With every ten levels being a palette swap.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Aug 2020 18:22:21 16,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is bizarre that Sega and Atlus seem surprised that P4 Golden sold well on PC. It is a great game that was stuck on a console about 12 people owned. (Of which I was one). Sadly the bugger died halfway through P3. So I never played Golden (or Trails of CS) despite owning both.

P3 also killed my PSTWO.
  • Humperfunk 10 Aug 2020 19:53:09 8,284 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Absolutely mental they'd stuck them on PC and they don't seem to be looking at PS4 despite the series' history on PS. It's basically a licence to print money.
  • dominalien 10 Aug 2020 19:56:53 9,819 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Persona 3:FES would be the obvious back-catalogue game I'd want on PC. In my memory, it's a better (albeit rougher-edged) game than P4, so I'd like to see if it still stacks up.
    Oh, no no no. Especially the post-main-game episode is dire, but it's just so much more grindy than 4. Characters are arguably better, I'll give you that.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.