The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 2

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Jan 2020 16:25:24 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki Armored Core never clicked with me. The combat always felt too fast and weightless... I never got the sense I was controlling a huge piece of metal. Same goes for a lot of the Gundam action games.

Always preferred the Western mecha games when it came to the action titles, Mechwarrior in particular. Just a pity Mechwarrior 5 was an unfinished, unbalanced mess.
  • uiruki 17 Jan 2020 16:32:30 5,051 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I wonder if thatís due to the relatively high damage that ACs can take, it can be hard to work out how much damage youíre doing sometimes so it can feel like nothing much is happening as everything glides around. Did you ever try Daemon X Machina on Switch? It feels like a fast, arcadey take on it while sharing a lot of the principles, though there are still a few boss battles against rival pilots with similar feedback issues.

I know you said the speed was an issue but since you can properly fly in DXM I wonder if that would actually improve things as it becomes less of a consideration.

Edited by uiruki at 16:34:35 17-01-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Jan 2020 23:42:17 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I might have just bought Ys VIII in the sale.
  • Ror 17 Jan 2020 23:50:43 19,433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Prompted by the announcement of it actually getting fixed up?

Quite tempted myself.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Jan 2020 23:52:02 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ror Yeah, I saw the post about the Durante patch and that swung it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Jan 2020 23:53:30 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Actually... with all the discussion over in the Tokyo Mirage Sessions thread about it being a Persona-lite, did anybody play Tokyo Xanadu EX+? That's another Persona Lite, though it goes a little heavier on the systems than TMS. It's not a fantastic game, but I found it a good methadone-equivalent as I weaned myself off Persona 5.
  • uiruki 18 Jan 2020 01:00:53 5,051 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I liked it a lot. Kou's a lot less of a dipshit than Rean in the Cold Steel series and the combo system's fun to master - just running through an entire dungeon in one combo. Clearly a practice run for Ys 8 but I'm looking forward to the promised sequel - if for no other reason than I found Ys 9 a bit disappointing (poor performance and the extended movement made the map design and combat much less interesting overall than 8).

Speaking of Persona, I'm 10 hours into Ryu ga Gotoku 7 and that's totally a modern Persona game except everyone's over 40. Also fewer murders.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Jan 2020 08:44:45 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Trails of Cold Steel III confirmed for PC release on 23 March.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 18 Jan 2020 10:20:40 3,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon I played the original non EX+ Vita version and enjoyed it. Kept meaning to get PS4 one cheap but in the end grabbed it on PC in a sale. Not played the extended version yet. Also need to grab one of the extended YS VIII's, maybe GOG if this jew patch has fixed most issues and I see a good sale.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 18 Jan 2020 10:24:38 3,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I liked it a lot. Kou's a lot less of a dipshit than Rean in the Cold Steel series and the combo system's fun to master - just running through an entire dungeon in one combo. Clearly a practice run for Ys 8 but I'm looking forward to the promised sequel - if for no other reason than I found Ys 9 a bit disappointing (poor performance and the extended movement made the map design and combat much less interesting overall than 8).

Speaking of Persona, I'm 10 hours into Ryu ga Gotoku 7 and that's totally a modern Persona game except everyone's over 40. Also fewer murders.
    I am hoping RGG7 is fun. Tried the demo but the Japanese fontsize was painful for some of it and was giving me a headache so I have up 'reading'. Always been a fan of the series so will likely preorder this anyway on western release.

Ys IX seems to have had a mixed reception, hear it has performance issues too. Still not finished various older Ys yet so I no hurry. Guessing NISA are going to get this again and hopefully learn from their Ys VIII mistakes. Haven't heard too many bad things about Cold Steel 3 so hopefully they have. And to be fair even Sky SC still has a fair few minor typos (currently playing through it)
  • rice_sandwich 19 Jan 2020 09:07:06 6,128 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've seen the credits for the first time on Raging Loop, after around 3 hours of play. I guess I still have a lot to do as howlongtobeat has it down as a 20 hour game. It looks like the story is going to continue until I go through all the possibilities and get a good ending. We'll see.

The writing is decent enough, far worse than your average novel, but it's enough to keep me interested. I've only had to make about half a dozen choices so far, so it looks like the game is mostly just about following the story and occasionally picking a path.

What I do like is how it allows you to do things such as read anywhere and immediately jump back to the latest choice upon getting a bad ending, avoiding the need to wade through a lot of text that you've previously read.
  • uiruki 19 Jan 2020 09:30:41 5,051 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx I'm really enjoying RGG7. Did you try both the fonts? I think size-wise it's about the same as 6/Judge Eyes but it defaults to the Gothic rather than the Mincho one that was default in the Kiryu HD games.

NISA hiring Durante for their ports is encouraging. He does a great job on those PhyreEngine-powered games, to the point where I'm considering triple-dipping on Ys 8 for it. The base games are quality, so it's good to see them take it seriously.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jan 2020 09:39:33 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I fired up Ys 8 briefly yesterday. I'm not going to get stuck into it properly until I've finished Atelier Ryza, but what I saw looked pretty polished by PC JRPG standards. Never saw the pre-patch version, so can't say how great the improvement is, but I gather things were pretty bad at launch.
  • uiruki 19 Jan 2020 10:10:57 5,051 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The main problem I had when it was on trial was the complete lack of frame rate consistency. It'd stutter and judder all the time; not what you'd expect of a Vita port on a fairly decent PC. I also understand the non-gamepad controls were messed up.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 19 Jan 2020 11:45:28 3,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich from what I hear you do all the routes until you get the true routes and then it has an extensive post game which is apparently worthwhile too. I have received mine but play AI at the moment so will wait.

@uiruki I hadn't looked for a font option but the problem had been the size and it shimmering (42" plasma)

Another upcoming game I am considering is Disaster Report 4 as I enjoyed the previous 3. Demo was a bit shonky on PS4 (traditional for the series I suppose). Hard to find info about how well/badly the Switch port turned out but I can't imagine it being any better even if handheld as an option is a bonus...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jan 2020 12:05:17 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Never played a Disaster Report game before, but tempted to check this one out. Pre-release material has looked ok.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 19 Jan 2020 12:26:13 3,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also tempted to import Kyoei Toshi spinoff at some point too as it isn't getting a localisation now. In that one the 'disaster' is an influx of licensed kaiju monsters (like Godzilla and Ultra an) and it is supposed to be quite fun.

The main games were always low budget but entertaining and the settings were different from the norm. Second one got pretty limited release in West and particularly in Europe (probably up there alongside Rule of Rose for difficulty in finding a Pal copy cheaply I imported it).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jan 2020 15:50:15 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Atelier Ryza just unlocked some new gathering and exploration options for me, which in turn unlocked a shitload more recipies. Feels like I'm starting to move out of the mid-game and into the late-game now. 28 hours on the clock, which would fit with the generally 40-ish hour times for a normal playthrough of an Atelier game.
  • rice_sandwich 19 Jan 2020 16:05:30 6,128 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rogueywon

I'm still on Atelier Lydie & Suelle. I started it last summer and it feels like it will never end. I've done about 30 hours and every time something happens, I think 'Oh, right, this must be the last chapter' but there always seems to be another thing to do. It's reasonaby entertaining but very easy to put it down and leave it for several weeks/months - very much a 7/10 game if there ever was one. I don't think I'd play another one as the series is relatively expensive and many of the previous games seem rather similar.
  • RyanDS 19 Jan 2020 19:03:16 13,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any suggestions for a visual novel / danganronpa / zero escape type game for the switch? I keep hovering over steins gate but despite being a top 3 ever game for me is too soon.

Recently finished the Phoenix Wright trilogy again and looking for chilled Japanese weirdness.*

*said with love. As I have mentioned before the genres I mocked in my youth are now my favourite
  • Ror 19 Jan 2020 21:48:08 19,433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RyanDS
    You could always try Steins;Gate 0 if you haven't played it yet? It's not as good, but it's more time with that cast.

I'm not really up on Switch VNs at the moment, but Yu-No and AI: The Somnium Files are also held in high regard. There's a recommendation thread on resetera (link) that might prove useful
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Jan 2020 11:07:19 3,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I gave an overview on a lot of these last week in the Steins;Gate thread.

Yu-no was good but beware of many pervy scenes (if you care). A lot more adventure than the average VN too. I have started AI Somnium and I am enjoying it, by the same writer as the Zero Escape series. As well as SG0 (is it on Switch yet?) there is also the Steins:Gate My Darling's Embrace spinoff which just came out but haven't tried it yet as still playing through LBP on PS4 (and the more romantic theme is less interesting).

Also on Switch, World End Syndrome is cheap these days and sounds interesting (I bought but not played yet), as is Raging Loop (ditto). There the Root Letter remake too but I can't jusge as not bought it nor got around to playing the original which I recall was divisive in reviews.

Hopefully Switch will get a Chaos;Child port so it has all of the English games you are supposed to play (bar the apparently nightmare to licence Chaos;Head (Noah) ) Before Robotics Note Dash (the sequel anyway, think the original only refers to SG and a little to CH) as both of those games are due this year apparently. Clan ad is well known and available on import for Switch IIRC.

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 11:08:28 20-01-2020
  • Ror 20 Jan 2020 16:14:11 19,433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, I forgot about World End Syndrome and I own it, haha. Haven't played it yet though.

And yeah, S;G0 released on Switch last month.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Jan 2020 18:03:05 3,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There are a couple more PQube ones like Kotadama and Your World Has Ended but they didn't look too interesting to me.

I suppose I could add Death Mark and Spirit Hunter Ng as horror adventures with dungeon crawler tile based movement that I enjoyed.
  • Ror 20 Jan 2020 18:09:16 19,433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've not heard good things about Your World has Ended, and Kotodama I know nothing about, beyond the fact it always seems to be very cheap, which probably isn't a great sign.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Jan 2020 18:45:17 3,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Your World has Ended may appeal to people who like that style of story whereas Kotadama just looks cheap and nasty (isn't it a match 3 mixed with a VN too?). PQube losing the SciAdv stuff has lowered their choice somewhat I think.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jan 2020 20:07:07 7,712 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You know, I'd be tempted by the Atelier Dusk collection on Steam, but FUCKING HELL that is expensive.
  • uiruki 21 Jan 2020 21:58:11 5,051 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It did have a discount for a little bit but yeah. Taking the games separately will also work! Ayesha and Escha & Logy (and to a lesser extent Shallie) were the last times that Gust were really able to spend on their soundtracks and it shows. I still listen to the E&L vocal album from time to time, it's terrific and just one part of the soundtrack. I really miss the vocal song cutscenes, there's one on E&L in particular that really gets me.

Still not decided on whether I'll get that on Switch or PC. Got Ryza for now though, and definitely enjoying Alliance Alive. The sub-events in that game tend to have unique dialogue depending on the character you have at the front of your party and the one I've picked is absolutely fantastic.
  • Ror 21 Jan 2020 22:12:43 19,433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @uiruki I meant to ask, RGG7 is set in Yokohama, isn't it? How is it?
  • uiruki 21 Jan 2020 22:31:14 5,051 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm liking it a lot after about 30 hours. The team clearly had a lot of ideas stored up that they wanted to use. The battle system has a lot going for it, like the way characters react to nearby objects and the wide range of attacks and heat moves, but it can feel a little slow, especially in dungeons where there a lot of consecutive fights.

Yokohama's a fantastic city to run around and it's massive, and the new fast travel system works nicely. Again a couple of points where they could improve on that (I shouldn't have to go up to a taxi and quit out of the destination menu to register it!) but again, another iteration should clear that. Definitely want to head back there next month on my Japan trip, a wander with my new knowledge will be fun.

Kasuga and crew are really stars of the show though. Kasuga's voice actor really puts everything into his performance - much like he did for Nishikiyama earlier in the series - and there's the most Akio Otsuka you'll hear this side of MGS4. They nail the group dynamic of a small group trying to get by and do what they need to, and the story's just as crazy as ever - if you've played RGG6 and looked at the cover for 7 there's a definite question, one which I haven't had answered for me yet!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.