Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 11

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 10 Aug 2020 19:58:56 4,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Having a PC port probably means a pretty simple PS4 port though so it may happen.

Personally I still want an update and translation of SMT 1/2 but I doubt they would sell as well sadly... I am guessimg they will stick with Persona though so FES seems most likely (as a best of P3P/FES amalgamation would require too mich work for them) or 5. I suppose the SMT3 port could head PCwards after PS4 and Switch. A P2 PSP upgrade double pack would he nice too as we never did get the PSP port of 2EP...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2020 20:06:33 9,333 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @dominalien I preferred the main story and atmosphere of P3, though. The whole brooding horror vibe, particularly once you got into the last couple of months, was great.

Agree the post-game episode was shite, though.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 10 Aug 2020 20:34:11 4,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really need to actually properly play P3 at some point as I never have despite owning each iteration. To be honest it is probably ahead of P5 Royal on the to play list (as I did play through Vanilla 5 on launch and I hear good things about the story in 3). Either got to dig out the import capable fliplid PS2 or play the PS3 digital version (which I hear has a few save bugs which is a concern).
  • dominalien 11 Aug 2020 06:21:11 9,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @dominalien I preferred the main story and atmosphere of P3, though. The whole brooding horror vibe, particularly once you got into the last couple of months, was great.

Agree the post-game episode was shite, though.
    The tower, though... Somehow, the division into smaller dungeons in P4 made all the difference for me and it became much less of a slog. Plus characters becoming randomly tired.
  • dominalien 11 Aug 2020 06:23:18 9,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx I love taking out the PS2 for that retro feel. I'm playing through Xenosaga Ep 3 atm (not made easier by it refusing to read the swap disc 3-10 times on every boot as of a couple of months ago) and it's just such a pleasure.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 11 Aug 2020 10:16:52 4,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx I love taking out the PS2 for that retro feel. I'm playing through Xenosaga Ep 3 atm (not made easier by it refusing to read the swap disc 3-10 times on every boot as of a couple of months ago) and it's just such a pleasure.
    I have imports of XS1 and 3 too (UK version of 2) but XS1 being a DVD9 so not working with SwapMagic (Wild Arms Alter Code F being another offender) has left me not wanting to skip a game in the series. Maybe I should emulate XS1...
  • dominalien 11 Aug 2020 10:47:13 9,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh, it doesn’t work? Now that you mention it, it does ring a bell. I have 2 PS2s, one with swap disc and the other with a chip. I played my imported XS1 no problem, so I must have played on the chipped one.
  • dominalien 11 Aug 2020 10:48:28 9,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And I love XS, they’re just so good.
  • Humperfunk 11 Aug 2020 12:57:45 8,279 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If they put P3 on PS4, I'd consider taking time off to play it. Masterpiece and my favourite in the series. The atmosphere of it, nothing else like it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2020 14:10:42 9,333 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Humperfunk The final in-game month-and-a-bit of P3 is utterly brutal stuff in story terms, and the ending packs a real punch. I was kinda disappointed when P4 decided not to go such dark places.
  • Cappy 11 Aug 2020 14:27:36 14,236 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Shin Megami Tensei III is reportedly getting a HD remaster release, though release is probably some way off if it was just announced a few weeks ago.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 11 Aug 2020 15:15:31 4,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Oh, it doesn’t work? Now that you mention it, it does ring a bell. I have 2 PS2s, one with swap disc and the other with a chip. I played my imported XS1 no problem, so I must have played on the chipped one.
    Yeah, Swap Magic only came with a disc for DVD5s and a disc for CDs as so few PS2 games were on DVD9. I considered buying a prechipped PS2 a few years ago from ebay but didn't bother in the end (maybe should have when prices were better). Buying a US PS2 is another option, and would give mt PS1 as a bonus, but they are pricy now too (all of the Japanese games I have are DVD5 at least). I suppose Ibcould try and get a network adaptor and use freemcboot and freehdboot to play my legit stuff (with the bonus of fan trasnaltions too). Also need to research how flexible DVDFreeBoot is...

@Cappy re. SMT3, yeah, Switch and PS4 are getring it in the first quarter of 2021 in English (this year in Japan) but I was referring to it being an easy option for PC too.
  • uiruki 11 Aug 2020 15:36:24 5,349 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's out in October in Japanese. There's actually a livestream on it tomorrow at midday Japan time so there'll be new info overnight.
  • uiruki 12 Aug 2020 08:40:43 5,349 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And the new info was that they will let you pay to turn it into the original Maniax release, i.e. replace Raidou with Dante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKAgXbEX3A
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Aug 2020 10:06:54 4,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    And the new info was that they will let you pay to turn it into the original Maniax release, i.e. replace Raidou with Dante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKAgXbEX3A
    Ugh, they could have stuck that option on the cart as a choice (as I am assuming this is going to be a full price release). Atlus have been bad for DLC since the 3DS...
  • uiruki 27 Aug 2020 01:57:59 5,349 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The new Trails game is out. I played the prologue because my PS4 wouldn't let me continue until downloading all 45-odd gigs of it. It's more of the same, which is very good. Falcom seem to be getting better at directing cutscenes, finally!

I was disturbed by the choice they made to replace Unsho Ishizuka as Sergei; the person they chose sounded more like they were trying to replace someone like Kenji Fujiwara (another classic, distinctive voice gone too soon) and sounded like a completely different character. I suppose it's consitent in a sense though, the Claire recast wasn't fantastic in Sen 3 either, as much as I like Ami Koshimizu.

Looking forward to playing more; I thought that I was going to just play through to be rid of Rean Schwartzer but I'm now really hoping for a good conclusion to Lloyd Bannings' story after the Crossbell crew got stiffed in terms of camera time at the end of Sen 4.

And then there's the lead into the next series once those stories are done, one wfor hich Falcom has implied a more action direction in battles. If this was Square Enix I'd be concerned since I didn't like the battle systems for FF15 or FF7R, but this is Falcom who have created my absolute favourite action RPGs - if they want to have a go at a slower action RPG style with more characters on screen at once I'm more than excited to go along with that. Hell, they could make the Calvard arc into Tokyo Xanadu 2 and I'd be delighted, chaining combos all the way across the continent.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Aug 2020 10:00:46 4,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I started Zero recently. Regarding the voices I was going to ask if the voice cast for later appearances of characters matched the Evo Sky and Crossbell games or not as a rule.

I could go for a Tokyo Xanadu 2 as enjoyed the original on Vita. One day I will play through the PC EX+ version...
  • uiruki 27 Aug 2020 10:52:11 5,349 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The only other change I can think of is they replaced Renne in Sen 4; I don't think that her old voice actor could do her high pitched voice any more (it was very shaky in the Evo games at times) so they got Aoi Yuuki to do it and she's great.

edit: one thing to watch out for is the progression of Lloyd's voice actor in how increasingly hot-blooded he sounds when doing his S-Craft; it carries on through games though he does sound a little bit calmer in Hajimari. In terms of effort he's basically the anti-Rean.

Edited by uiruki at 10:53:37 27-08-2020
  • Malek86 27 Aug 2020 17:50:37 10,511 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago

My love journey starts again.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:51:06 27-08-2020
  • Malek86 27 Aug 2020 18:10:50 10,511 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just a heads up though, the early hours are as slow as I remembered them. You barely have enough energy to walk around for a few minutes before needing to sleep again. The game really doesn't open up until you gather some levels and find some more sleeping points.
  • uiruki 27 Aug 2020 19:36:38 5,349 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aha, it's Rikiya Oyama replacing Unsho Ishizuka as Sergei in Hajimari. I like him a lot but he's got a very different voice.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Aug 2020 01:03:50 4,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Just a heads up though, the early hours are as slow as I remembered them. You barely have enough energy to walk around for a few minutes before needing to sleep again. The game really doesn't open up until you gather some levels and find some more sleeping points.
    Waiting for the physical announcement I expect from LRG...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.