Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 13

• uiruki 24 Sep 2020 23:27:27 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If it's M2 then I'd expect them to include Ver.2 but this is one of those limited edition games people - there's every chance they'd put it on a later Truxton collection or combine Ver.2 with Border Down or something.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Sep 2020 00:37:31 4,060 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think there were a few variants missing in the M2 cosmic arcade collection too IIRc. Darius Gaiden possibly had a v2 too...

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 00:38:01 25-09-2020
  • Humperfunk 25 Sep 2020 16:16:59 8,315 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Question on 13 Sentinels - is it possible to be stuck on one and need to advance another to unlock something?

I have been on every screen in this one, no red triangles for me to do in the top corner, but if I 'End Adventure' then it says it doesn't save anything and I have to do it from the beginning...the ones on the protagonist screen that are locked indicate I wouldn't be able to load one unless I can finish it so I'm stuck.
  • uiruki 25 Sep 2020 16:22:29 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Is there a conversation happening with other characters?
  • Humperfunk 25 Sep 2020 16:22:58 8,315 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Over the past however many years I have been on EG as my previous username and this one (was 18k UID so early enough!), I have an amazing knack of getting stuck on games for ages, eventually come on EG to ask for help, and solve it within seconds of posting. Incredible!
  • uiruki 25 Sep 2020 16:31:03 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Happens to us all sometimes!
  • Samildanach 25 Sep 2020 21:54:21 437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx
    M2 are working on the G Darius HD part while Pyramid (makers of Darius Burst Arcade) are doing Darius Burst Ex+.
    Both have promised new stuff for fans who have owned and played G Darius and Dariusburst Chronicle Savours, but they have yet to reveal exactly what.
    Hopefully we will still get ver 2 of G Darius and maybe Pyramid will make new bosses or levels for Burst.

Ver 2 of Darius Gaiden was a shame not to have on the Cozmic Collection, but I had heard somewhere that it may not have been official and instead was fan made.

Also a shame we didn't get Super Darius 1 and 2, to have a compete set of the games worth playing.
  • spookyxelectric 25 Sep 2020 22:02:03 197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Speaking of shoot em ups, has anyone here played Astebreed? It's on sale for Switch at the moment, and was wondering how good it was.
  • Samildanach 25 Sep 2020 22:09:00 437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spookyxelectric
    Yeah I spent quite a bit of time with it earlier in the year.
    Visuals were pretty nice
    Turn off the plot and inane shite anime chatter
    Music is alright

Gameplay (what really matters) - I did have fun, but it felt rather... messy. You spend a lot of time crazily slashing a sword, warping around, target locking enemies as well as shooting. I played it in PS4 and when a shmup makes you use almost every one of the dualshocks many buttons my brain explodes. I'd rather the complexities be on screen rather than what damn button I need to press and in what order. If its cheap, give it a whirl though.
  • spookyxelectric 25 Sep 2020 22:14:36 197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Samildanach Yeah, I kind of feel you on the complexity of controls. It might be sacrilege to say, but that was the original barrier of entry for me with Radiant Silvergun. I do like it, but I also prefer the simplicity of Ikaruga.

Still, for $8, might as well give it a go. Thanks!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Sep 2020 22:58:03 4,060 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx
    M2 are working on the G Darius HD part while Pyramid (makers of Darius Burst Arcade) are doing Darius Burst Ex+.
    Both have promised new stuff for fans who have owned and played G Darius and Dariusburst Chronicle Savours, but they have yet to reveal exactly what.
    Hopefully we will still get ver 2 of G Darius and maybe Pyramid will make new bosses or levels for Burst.

Ver 2 of Darius Gaiden was a shame not to have on the Cozmic Collection, but I had heard somewhere that it may not have been official and instead was fan made.

Also a shame we didn't get Super Darius 1 and 2, to have a compete set of the games worth playing.
    Cool, thanks for the extra info, I couldn't really find any other than the promise of more news soon that you mentioned (which is a bit late with the physical preorder opening this weekend). Some bonuses would be nice as the collection is only 2 games this time. I will probably go for the standard edition to go with my LE of the first collection as cannot really afford the extra and it is more of a premium over the base game than last time for similar physical content (the artbook and CD would be nice, not sure exactly what the Bluray contains).

@spookyxelectric I enjoyed Astebreed on PS4 overall. Didn't really replay it but it was quite fun.
  • Samildanach 25 Sep 2020 23:12:30 437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spookyxelectric
    No worries.

You just reminded me how Ikaruga melted my brains also. Just couldn't handle the polarity shifting. Looks like I can only really cope with shumps with a single button ha ha.
  • uiruki 25 Sep 2020 23:13:21 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Astebreed is fun and slick. There's a reason why it was ported around everywhere.

edit: in terms of simpler shooters I really like Eschatos but I don't think that's on PS4, just 360 and PC. Amazing soundtrack too.

Edited by uiruki at 23:14:26 25-09-2020
  • Samildanach 25 Sep 2020 23:17:12 437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx
    Strictly Limited do seem annoyingly vague on their recent preorders. Their Turrican upcoming release has me interested, especially vol 1 with the first two amiga games. Vol 2 however has Mega Turrican Director's Cut, but there is absolutely nothing about what is in it, and I'm not paying 35 extra quid if it is only minutely different from the normal Mega Turrican.
  • uiruki 25 Sep 2020 23:18:42 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The value on that pack seems really suspect. Splitting it up feels really cynical, especially the way they've done it.
  • Rogueywon 26 Sep 2020 00:07:30 9,484 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is Turrican even Japanese?

I remember getting Turrican 2 for the C64 back in the day and fuck me it was awesome. Went back after playing that to get the original Turrican. But I thought these were a Western rip-off of Metroid, not actual Japanese games.

Plus, the pricing on that re-release can fuck right off.
  • Samildanach 26 Sep 2020 00:16:16 437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    Yes, sorry for thread derailment. Turrican is very German made, though I guess inspired by Metroid and Contra.
  • uiruki 26 Sep 2020 00:17:38 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No, it's extremely German and made by a man with an extremely German mullet.
  • Rogueywon 26 Sep 2020 00:20:52 9,484 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But absolutely inspired by a Japanese game, so fair play.
  • uiruki 26 Sep 2020 00:23:01 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh yeah, the art in the T2 intro in particular shows the influence very strongly. Some violently coloured hair in the Amiga version.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Sep 2020 23:13:25 4,060 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Took the chance on a Switch Darius standard. A bit pricey but really cannot justify the LE this time. At least that shpuld be it for expensive Darius Collections now unless they try to sneak out a final console ports one or the extremely unlikely Dariusburst Chronicles complete with DLC on disc/cart (or I suppose even a Switch version).

Now to see if Ketsui Deathtiny, Esp Ra De and Sorcer Striker get localisations and LRG physicals... (hopefully not for a while). These (also grabbed the Mighty Gunvolt Burst physical) are why I had to pass on 13 Sentinels for a while... But it is top of the list of non pre-ordered games.
  • Samildanach 26 Sep 2020 23:31:09 437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx
    I had to go for the big CE Darius release again. Because I am a sucker.
    My excuse is that it has been a long time since I bought a game on release. There has been so many great releases on PS4 that I am several years behind, and big games of 2015/16 cost peanuts now due to sales. Limited edition shmups are my weak point it seems.
  • spookyxelectric 27 Sep 2020 00:10:20 197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ended up getting Astebreed. It's great! I was doing well until the final boss, when suddenly the difficulty just shot up. Died a few times then eventually gave up. The game reminds me a bit of a 2.5D take on Zone of the Enders. Much faster paced of course, but movement and attacks are reminscent.

Also picked up Psyvariar Delta as that's also on sale on Switch. This one I got through to the end no problem, but I don't feel I really understand it. The buzz system.. is just like a minor shield that lets you absorb a few attacks beforing dying? The minor branching paths and level up system are cool though, which encourage multiple playthrough. Soundtrack is a banger, too.
  • uiruki 27 Sep 2020 00:12:36 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The buzz system is basically letting bullets pass close by the vulnerable point of your ship to level up. In the original arcades you had to waggle the stick to make it spin and increase the buzz detection area but there should be a button you can hold to make it happen. Branching is based on level if I remember right.

Also, enjoy the soundtracks, all of them!
  • spookyxelectric 27 Sep 2020 00:23:23 197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ahh cheers.

There are a few times when it lets you choose the next stage, but I do believe the final stage is determined by how well you've played up until then. Probably your level, as you said.
  • uiruki 27 Sep 2020 00:30:43 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There are levels which do require high ship levels to get to - as you get better you'll get access to the C stages.

It's a super fun game, and one which has a great feeling of improvement and progress as you play more. Did you get the DLC ship? It kind of trivialises the game but it's super fun! I think it might actually come free with the western versions.
  • spookyxelectric 27 Sep 2020 00:37:19 197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No, I didn't. It's a paid ship, at least on the eShop. Maybe it was free with the physical version? I'll check it out. I do like space mechs. :)
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Sep 2020 14:04:13 4,060 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Samildanach I do the same with waiting for big name releases. I just managed to justify to myself the CE of the first collection as it wasn't much over both standards, this one had an 80 Euro premium however so had to let it go...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Sep 2020 19:44:57 4,060 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I see Deathsmiles Collection annlunced for Switch and PS4. I really enjoyed the first game in arcades when I was in Japan and it was the game that made me buy my X360 (was cheaper than an arcade pcb to get the Japanese machine and game). I was very surprised it actually got localised launches later on but didn't really regret the Japanese machine and only missed out on a few things due to region restrictions. If this turns out to be a good port I may have to grab it. Would be nice to see some more of the Cave catalogue released too such as the Mushihimesamas and oddities like Muchi Muchi Pork which I also enjoyed. Coty Connection doing them increases chances of a cheaper collection but I recall hearing the Psikyo ports were flawed...
  • uiruki 27 Sep 2020 19:55:56 5,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Psikyo ones were a mixed bag. The 68k Strikers I played was seriously laggy, though the SH-2 games were better. The real hash they made was Zero Gunner 2, though; Zerodiv were reasonably clear about them having to remake it due to a lack of materials and were unable to get everything across, hence the minus in the title, but it was still a bit disappointing. Deathsmiles could go either way depending on how much stuff they have at their disposal.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.