Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 14

• Humperfunk 27 Sep 2020 23:30:10 8,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Meant to play some Mafia Definitive Edition this weekend...but couldn't stop playing 13 Sentinels. According to the stats at the bottom I am about 70% of the way through the battles and 75% of the way through the story now. Should easily get finished off with the Platinum this week, maybe even in the next couple of days.

Incredible game, deserves all the praise it has received.
  • Malek86 7 Oct 2020 10:09:51 10,766 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Saw some pictures of Shiren 5 for Switch today. Seems to run nice and crisp at 1080p with quadrupled pixels from 480x270. No filtering to ruin things or anything like that.

I wonder what they are gonna do for handheld mode though. Upscaling is gonna look horrible. Pixel tripling is not possible. Maybe a smaller 960x540 window?

Edited by Malek86 at 10:10:13 07-10-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 7 Oct 2020 11:55:37 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If it runs easily could always use supersampling and just run at 1080P even on handheld.

Tempted to get this for the wife who enjoyed the DS Shiren. Seems to be digital only sadly but listed at $19.99 so should be similarly priced here (and seems to have a few extras over the Vita version)
  • RyanDS 8 Oct 2020 19:55:28 13,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Robotic notes out Tuesday on switch. Just a heads us.

With winter coming i am.genuinely excited to sit and play through more steins gate or chaos head shenanigans. Would prefer it to be on the vita to be honest, mainly as the battery was so much better, but who cares. £50 seems pricey but for the hours I know I will get out of it who cares.

I just wish steins gate would drop in price. I think it has been long enough that I could replay, but not at full whack.
  • Humperfunk 8 Oct 2020 23:23:58 8,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I grabbed SG Elite when it came down to £20 I think on PS4.

Looking forward to Robotic Notes but definitely going to wait a while until it is cheap, just got too much to play as it is and next gen around the corner!
  • Rogueywon 8 Oct 2020 23:28:42 9,484 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As a slight digression...

I've been slowly working, in a back-burner sense, through the Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Umineko releases on Steam. I saw the anime adaptations of them both via *cough*entirely legal means*cough* when they first aired. But, of course, the Higurashi anime was a production dumpster-fire for much of its first half and skipped a lot of story, while the Umineko anime ended half-way and never got its "answer" arcs. So playing the remastered games was an interesting way to see the stories as they were intended (though they are, of course, completely non-interactive).

Think I need to speed up my playthroughs of them now. The Higurashi remake has shown its true colours in episode 2 and it looks like it's going to be a "true end" route, which may well cover Umineko as well as Higurashi.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 8 Oct 2020 23:31:30 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I grabbed the PS4 SG Elite on sale as I wanted LBP and then never bothered with the main game.

I have Robotics;Note preordered, although the European date seems to be next Friday not Tuesday. I also would have liked it on Vita but I managed Raging Loop on Switch so this should be doable (and I have now played through every English Sci;Adv (including fan translation only ones such as Octet and Chaos;Head) except the My Darling's Embrace spinoff which doesn't really appeal) I usually play through my Sci;Adv games straight away so happy preordering.

Curious about Piofore (latest Aksys Otomate game) too as the setting and dark tone catches my eye but will wait for reviews after hearing bad things about the Collar X Malice fandisc localisation.
  • Humperfunk 8 Oct 2020 23:34:54 8,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx can you remind me of what LBP is? I downloaded something extra with SG Elite but wasn't sure what it was!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 8 Oct 2020 23:44:52 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx can you remind me of what LBP is? I downloaded something extra with SG Elite but wasn't sure what it was!
    Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram, a Steins;Gate spinoff with each chapter focusing on a different character and written by guest writers (including one by Uchikoshi of 999/VLR fame). I enjoyed most of them and just finished it off last week. Not strictly canon but the insights into some of the more annoying characters works well to explain them and the scenarios have a mixture of tones from light to dark.
  • Humperfunk 8 Oct 2020 23:47:53 8,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah nice one, cheers :)
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Oct 2020 18:34:42 6,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Why have I only just learned about Judgement, the Yakuza spin-off ?

I don't recall hearing anything about this, completely bizarre given it launched over a year ago. Anyone played it ?
  • Rogueywon 12 Oct 2020 19:10:09 9,484 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet Had very much a mixed reception, didn't it? I remember it getting some fairly poor reviews, even from reviewers who typically liked the series.
  • Malek86 12 Oct 2020 19:20:56 10,766 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Think it didn't get as much exposure as it could have, even from Sega. It's possible that they didn't want to advertise the game too much because one of the voice actors was involved in a drug scandal around the time of release.
  • uiruki 12 Oct 2020 19:26:26 5,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If anyone who claimed to like the RGG series didn’t like Judge Eyes then either they’re lying or they’re just in it for the memes. It’s excellent and Yagami is different enough from Kiryu to make it a very different game, just with the same setting - one where the game goes out of its way to make you feel like you are an actual inhabitant of Kamurocho rather than just being dragged back time and again. The plot is crazy in its own way and some of the choreography in the cutscenes near the end is fantastic, proper action movie level stuff.

edit: maybe a bit harsh but seriously, it's a really good one of those games and you can play it in confidence knowing that 7 is a very different game in terms of style and (mostly) setting.

Edited by uiruki at 19:34:05 12-10-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Oct 2020 21:26:17 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @oldschoolsoviet Had very much a mixed reception, didn't it? I remember it getting some fairly poor reviews, even from reviewers who typically liked the series.
    I remember most reviews being decent just complaining about the tailing mechanics.

I really enjoyed it and it is worth getting if you like the series. It got a reasonable amount of coverage too but if you weren't already aware of the name of the game you may have missed it being RGG related. It was nice to play with different characters in the setting too.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Oct 2020 23:58:56 6,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ordered. No idea it existed until a random YT recommendation of a review today, so something to look forward to. Surprised how it slipped under the radar so easily. Now I just need a nice sale price on Disaster Report 4......
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 Oct 2020 09:26:25 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Ordered. No idea it existed until a random YT recommendation of a review today, so something to look forward to. Surprised how it slipped under the radar so easily. Now I just need a nice sale price on Disaster Report 4......
    Keep an eye on the NISA Europe Store blog, it gets reduced to around 28 quid quite often, and that is where I got it from too. I though it was worth that much as opposed to the 50 RRP.
  • oldschoolsoviet 13 Oct 2020 09:46:05 6,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ...which it currently is. Thanks for the tip !
  • RyanDS 16 Oct 2020 13:55:56 13,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Robotics notes double pack delivered!

Bring on the lockdown I say, I have a reason to stay in and lie in bed all day.
  • Humperfunk 17 Oct 2020 17:09:01 8,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RyanDS have you started it? I have Elite downloaded, but am about 10% into World End Syndrome. Really feel like I should finish that but Robotics is part of the series with Chaos Child and Steins Gate so really want to start that!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 17 Oct 2020 18:11:32 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I started RN but not played too far die to not being able to use the family Switch handheld so limited time for playing. Seema nice enough so far although I have heard some complaints about translation quality in the game (none that I have noticed yet). I have heard that knowing Chaos;Head is quite important for playing the games though (which I thankfully have completed the base PC version of CH).

Edit - the progression sysyem in first RN is supposed to be awkward so guides tend to be recommended for that one so you don't get chapters in the wrong order etc.

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 18:12:25 17-10-2020
  • Humperfunk 17 Oct 2020 21:01:45 8,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I read the Chaos Head thing too, which sadly I haven't played. Might read up on it before I start. At the moment pressing on with World End as I had started it so think sensible!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 17 Oct 2020 21:52:06 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Chaos;Head is fairly short in its initial PC form and has a fan translation. Only has 3 endings IIRC and only really expanded with the Noah rerelease (which is unlocalised). One day after the Noah fan translation comes out I may try going through all of the Sci;Adv main games in order to see the nods I would have missed (I basically played SG then SG0 then CH and CC with the RN games now in progress., the correct order is CH, SG, RN, CC, SG0, RND.)

I have World End Syndrome but not started it. Have loads of VNs in backlog on Vita including the Muv Luvs and a few Otomate games along with Song of Memories on PS4) (I try to get VNs with a focus on story not dating but probably made a few misbuys and have skipped a fair few that didn't appeal).
  • RyanDS 18 Oct 2020 12:20:45 13,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    @RyanDS have you started it? I have Elite downloaded, but am about 10% into World End Syndrome. Really feel like I should finish that but Robotics is part of the series with Chaos Child and Steins Gate so really want to start that!
    I have. Maybe 5 hours in, it starts very very slow but I think it is worth it as it gives you time to know the characters. The main one comes off as quite the dick which apparently is down to the translation and in the original Japanese he is much more likeable.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Oct 2020 14:17:05 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Up to chapter 4 or 5 of Robotics;Notes and enjoying it so far. A few typos here and there but the spoken bits sound reasonably authentic from what I can pick up. The TWIPO looks messy but does the job. Be aware there is a control that isn't listed in the controls for looking at attachments in geotags (triangle or X on the consoles when the geotag is open) which is important.

As for RyanDS' comments about the lead, unless the silent inner monologues are drastically different he seems pretty authentic to the Japanese script, apathetic but with a motivation towards his friend. If you think he is an unsympathetic lead beware of Chaos;Head. Several of the characters do have social issues and they are pointed out. How he develops from here I don't know obviously. I do wonder ifbsome of the darker moments will go over people's heads who haven't played CH though... (So far SG knowledge requirement hasn't come into the story although there are some clear links.)
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Oct 2020 14:28:27 29,126 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

I don't recall hearing anything about this, completely bizarre given it launched over a year ago. Anyone played it ?
    I have it in my pile to play, not sure if I should leave it till after I get through Yakuza 6
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Oct 2020 17:46:51 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

I have it in my pile to play, not sure if I should leave it till after I get through Yakuza 6
    6 is a shortish entry in the series and uses the same engine as Judgement so just choose whatver order you fancy really for those two as Judgement doesn't rely on much to do with the Y6 story (other than the obvious Kamurocho uodates with each entry). Both were good though. I wpuld probably personally lean towards 6 first but Judgement was designed to be fairly standalone. My next one will be 7 when it comes out, jist have to get the Robotics;Notes gakes done before the release as I have a feeling 7 may be a longer entry...
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Oct 2020 22:36:56 29,126 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

6 is a shortish entry in the series and uses the same engine as Judgement so just choose whatver order you fancy really for those two as Judgement doesn't rely on much to do with the Y6 story (other than the obvious Kamurocho uodates with each entry). Both were good though. I wpuld probably personally lean towards 6 first but Judgement was designed to be fairly standalone. My next one will be 7 when it comes out, jist have to get the Robotics;Notes gakes done before the release as I have a feeling 7 may be a longer entry...
    Thanks a lot for the info , just need to finish 4 and 5 first :)
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Oct 2020 22:50:09 4,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear 5 is a potential 100 hour job if you try to do all sidequests and major side stories (and that is skipping the hostess stuff).
  • Humperfunk 21 Oct 2020 00:00:48 8,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Made some excellent progress on Worldend Syndrome so I am hopeful I can start Robotics hopefully next week. Hate leaving games unfinished so glad I stuck with it :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.