Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 15

• Armoured_Bear 21 Oct 2020 07:33:04 29,481 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear 5 is a potential 100 hour job if you try to do all sidequests and major side stories (and that is skipping the hostess stuff).
    Wow, I knew it was big but not that big!
    Hmm, I definitely won't play through all of 4 then.
    I'm enjoying Akiyama and his fast combat at the mo. though.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Oct 2020 10:02:29 4,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear 5 is a potential 100 hour job if you try to do all sidequests and major side stories (and that is skipping the hostess stuff).
    Wow, I knew it was big but not that big!
    Hmm, I definitely won't play through all of 4 then.
    I'm enjoying Akiyama and his fast combat at the mo. though.
    5 is still good but it is the only game I started to feel burned out by the end. It has some really indepth sidestories too. If you are less completionist ablut those you could probably save a lot of time. 5 has 5 full cities and at least one other major area that I remember. It is cool to actually visit other areas that never reappear in the series.
  • Humperfunk 25 Oct 2020 16:26:05 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx are you using a guide to make sure the chapters are in order etc? If so, do you have a link? I'm using one that I don't think is being as clear as it could be...!

I finished Worldend Syndrome, had a really good story with some great twists at the end that I didn't see coming so really enjoyed it.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Oct 2020 16:47:36 4,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Humperfunk I am using the KiriKiriBasara 100% guide as it seemed highly recommended on the first R;N game. I haven't got to the point where I can see if I have missed anything yet as uo to Chapter 5 (have done my first locked save).

I heard World End Syndrome was a difficult/confusing one to playthrough (gameplaywise), how was it? The setting is what made me buy it but I played Raging Loop first.

https://www.kirikiribasara.com/2020/10/13/roboticsnotes-elite-100-guide/

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 16:48:06 25-10-2020
  • Humperfunk 25 Oct 2020 17:46:24 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice one mate, thanks!

I used a guide too as was very confusing, glad I did although the guide is quite streamlined so it is focused on an individuals story very much with little wavering from that. This is the guide i used:
    http://ps3imports.org/forum/index.php?/topic/10082-worldend-syndrome-english-trophy-guide/

It has a similar theme to Raging Loop, I would say that Raging Loop though was significantly better. Not a slight on this game, just that I hold Raging Loop up as one of the best VNs I have played.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Oct 2020 19:23:19 4,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Humperfunk Cheers, I will save the link. I really enjoyed Raging Loop too, was pleasantly surprised after initially being put off by the art style (which grew on me). Hopefully the translator will get to do some more Amphibian VNs as I was impressed with how well he did some of the archaic and kanji based localisation while making it understandable for laymen.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Oct 2020 19:29:01 4,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On another note, I see that Death Come True is getting a Japanese physical but oddly only on PS4. Been waiting for a physical of it but had been thinking Switch (assuming no performance issues). Very unusual that only the PS4 one us getting a physical. Wonder if it is multilanguage, couldn't find the info on Amazon Japan... I want it due to the director but not bought it yet. I see it has demos now so may have to at least try it out.

Edit - the Switch version seems to have been removed from the eshop in UK for some reason, probably the PEGI 7 rating it sported which didn't seem accurate to me...

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 21:19:50 25-10-2020
  • Humperfunk 27 Oct 2020 17:47:37 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Preordered Trails of Cold Steel IV digitally as my PS4 has stopped reading discs. Out today but still unavailable to download in all regions.

Pretty poor from Sony and NIS too, actively tweeting "out today on PS4!" when...well it isn't is it.
  • RyanDS 27 Oct 2020 19:58:00 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    On another note, I see that Death Come True is getting a Japanese physical but oddly only on PS4. Been waiting for a physical of it but had been thinking Switch (assuming no performance issues). Very unusual that only the PS4 one us getting a physical. Wonder if it is multilanguage, couldn't find the info on Amazon Japan... I want it due to the director but not bought it yet. I see it has demos now so may have to at least try it out.

Edit - the Switch version seems to have been removed from the eshop in UK for some reason, probably the PEGI 7 rating it sported which didn't seem accurate to me...
    Just to say I played it on the switch in UK and ran great. So if it comes back don't let that deter you.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Oct 2020 22:22:51 4,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Preordered Trails of Cold Steel IV digitally as my PS4 has stopped reading discs. Out today but still unavailable to download in all regions.

Pretty poor from Sony and NIS too, actively tweeting "out today on PS4!" when...well it isn't is it.
    My UK physical (standard day 1 edition) arrived today so thought it was a worldwide Tuesday release, guess not... Not that I can play it for ages though as only up to Zero in my series playthrough but did my early support bit for the cause... Currently flitting between Robotics;Note (got the first 2 endings) and Project Zero 4 (emulated and set up to run nicely on a standard XBone pad (bar the piano puzzles which are evil this way, hopefully the 2 I have done is them all...).

Want them polished off before Yakuza 7... (and might switch back onto Trails from Zero too as my PC game...)
  • uiruki 27 Oct 2020 22:51:27 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Preordered SMT3 remaster, suspect I'm going to be driven mad by the music but it's a good game. Not sure what possessed them to try and make music with long sampled guitar phrases and vocals happen on the PS2 sound chip but it didn't work very well.
  • Humperfunk 27 Oct 2020 22:58:52 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx yeah it is a worldwide release today. Just turns out anyone who preordered digitally has been shafted, if someone bought it digitally today then they're fine. A lot of pissed off people on twitter etc, Sony and NIS actively taking the piss really but providing no updates other than at 6pm basically going "really? Wow that's a shame"
  • uiruki 27 Oct 2020 23:00:48 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wait, you can't even download it from the library if you preordered it? That's insane, I'm talking PS3 era store crappiness.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Oct 2020 02:12:28 4,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Humperfunk I misunderstood your comment, that is indeed pretty crappy. I don't preorder a lot digitally but never had that issie with the few things I have.
  • Humperfunk 28 Oct 2020 10:32:53 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @uiruki yep, global issue as well so everyone who preordered it can't download it! Almost 36 hours after release now and still no updates...
  • Humperfunk 28 Oct 2020 10:35:04 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx yeah I've never had this issue, and I haven't bought a game on disc in over a year as my Pro doesn't read discs anymore.

As with a lot of things, its the lack of communication that is frustrating. I moved flat at the weekend and the month leading up to it was a nightmare because the letting agent just didn't reply to any emails etc about us actually signing a contract. I expect it off a letting agent as they're all fuckpigs, but would hope big firms like these would actually say something.
  • Humperfunk 28 Oct 2020 13:13:45 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fixed, huzzah!

Now for the five hour download...!

Edit: take it back, forgot my new Internet connection in our new flat is mental, downloaded all of it already!

Edited by Humperfunk at 13:43:01 28-10-2020
  • uiruki 28 Oct 2020 13:56:57 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Now you can see the damn fairytale to the end. If it makes you feel better there is a bit less Rean in the next game and more importantly there’s a lot less of the Poochy-style reverence other characters have for him.
  • uiruki 28 Oct 2020 15:22:43 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    SMT3 HD remaster has activated as it's past midnight in Japan. Big Unity logo on the startup screen, guess Atlus couldn't afford that pro licence.

edit: it's definitely not running at 4K either. If I had to guess it'd be either 1440p or some multiple of the original game's resolution. Music sounds clearer - we'll see how it is once everything blows up and I get into some battles though.

Edited by uiruki at 15:43:15 28-10-2020
  • Rogueywon 28 Oct 2020 15:44:35 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @uiruki Definitely waiting for the global release for that one. I want it, but not enough to try to navigate it in Japanese...
  • Humperfunk 28 Oct 2020 16:25:38 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Now you can see the damn fairytale to the end. If it makes you feel better there is a bit less Rean in the next game and more importantly there’s a lot less of the Poochy-style reverence other characters have for him.
    Hahahaha this really made me laugh!

How long did it take you to finish? Wondering if I can manage to finish it before PS5 launches!
  • uiruki 28 Oct 2020 16:32:23 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Depends on how you approach it. My clear save is 128 hours but I did a lot.
  • Rogueywon 28 Oct 2020 16:39:36 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Been wanting to play the ToCS series for ages, but every time I try to start the first one, I end up noping out on the English dub, which seems shrill even by dub standards. Anybody know if there's a way to mod the Japanese voices into the PC version?

Edit: Never mind, they've added via official patch. I know what I'll be moving onto once I'm done with the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster.

Edited by Rogueywon at 16:40:42 28-10-2020
  • Humperfunk 28 Oct 2020 16:44:08 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @uiruki thats what I was looking for - first three games I did a lot of the games (got very high trophy scores), took me 55, 60 and 85 hours respectively but I played a lot of battles with the speed mode on! Sounds like i won't finish it before PS5 then!
  • Humperfunk 28 Oct 2020 16:44:54 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon yes do play them, such good games! I'm praying they release all the others in the West (and the old Sky ones on PS4 or something)
  • uiruki 28 Oct 2020 16:45:15 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Honestly I'm not sure I can recommend it. If you do, just be prepared for some of the worst excesses of the genre alongside some great character moments. It's hopelessly bloated, there are no stakes because NOBODY EVER DIES EVER and the series is completely obsessed with its nasal voiced protagonist.

For me it's as much habit and resignation as anything else which gets me through and I get my entertainment from the things around the main scenario.
  • Rogueywon 28 Oct 2020 16:46:17 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @uiruki I'm kinda expecting something in a similar vein to Tokyo Xanadu EX+, which had a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses.
  • uiruki 28 Oct 2020 16:55:32 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's like that but much, much more so. I actually liked Kou because he had a good habit of stepping up and pushing things forward. The lack of romance options helped.

By the fourth there are 50-odd characters you'll have to keep track of (and who keep track of how long it was since they last met), including ones from earlier series which does include the one that isn't in English yet. The story doesn't actually move forward significantly in Hajimari because the whole thing is tying up loose ends!

I'm hoping for a clean slate for the next game, they're changing battle systems to an action one for the next series. For all that Ys is getting like that the last one still took only 50 hours.

Edited by uiruki at 16:56:26 28-10-2020
  • uiruki 28 Oct 2020 19:57:11 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yup, the battle music in SMT3 is still at 11khz or whatever they did it at. Also the voices are definitely new, they have Shin'ichiro Miki playing an old guy when he definitely wouldn't have at release.
  • Malek86 28 Oct 2020 20:28:08 11,529 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, SMT3 didn't have voices on the PS2 anyway.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:28:14 28-10-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.