Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 16

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Oct 2020 21:54:03 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki So is Hajimari basically taking up the fuction of Sky 3rd then? Also sad to hear low muaic quality in the SMT3 remake, I assume another case of lost source material... You playing it on PS4? (I am tempted by Switch version myself if performance is decent enough)

@rogueywon I enjoyed Tokyo Xanadu on Vita (the non EX version, although I have that on PC to play one day (see also P5 Royal as playing updates of long games isn't usually high on my priority list) )

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 21:55:37 28-10-2020
  • uiruki 28 Oct 2020 23:05:30 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yes, and yes. That also means you have some more of the 'delightful' Erika Russell to look forward to and she's even more insufferable than she was in the 3rd. I basically fast forwarded any scene she was in and I almost never do that in games. Most of the side episodes are heavy going for similar 'lol aren't we zany' reasons.

On SMT, I suspect it'll be just fine on Switch in terms of performance; whichever way you go it's going to be better than messing about with PCSX2 and its deinterlacing modes.

Edited by uiruki at 23:05:41 28-10-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Oct 2020 10:25:25 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    She was by far the worst character in the Sky series, ugh. At least I still have 6 games to play through before I get there. The social stuff has always been the bit of Cold Steel I least look forward to too (is it basically the same as in TX?) Which is weird as I enjoyed Persona 4G and 5 (need to properly play 3 one day) but for some reason any rpg with social link type stuff other than these I find offputting without even playing them.
  • uiruki 29 Oct 2020 10:56:07 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    No social links in Hajimari, just story moments, extra unlockable episodes and the 'bond' system in battles which means that characters who fight together get bonuses. All the social links in 4 though. It's definitely much stronger in CS than TX, which comes with the territory when you consider it's their take on a school RPG. Its main weakness is it introduces too many characters too quickly and many aren't properly fleshed out outside of their social links.

If you're committed to it, play it for the scale and the battle system. By Hajimari you're completely obscenely powerful and the game encourages you to constantly break it. It's great fun. Even in the first game, stacking evade on someone like Fie is hilarious and while I don't particularly like the character, with a little help Rean is an S-Craft machine, particularly as the game leans into that with his power-up crafts.
  • Humperfunk 30 Oct 2020 20:04:53 8,436 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Started Trails IV, Aguero about an hour long intro cut scene, I am devastated to see there is no turbo mode in this game...that is not good news as the combat and movement in these games is slow as fuck...
  • uiruki 30 Oct 2020 20:15:09 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Can't remember about 4 (and am currently in the middle of RGG 4) but in Hajimari at least you can press the pad button to go turbo, and even sethe speed at which it goes.
  • Humperfunk 30 Oct 2020 20:29:08 8,436 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep just found it! Thanks :D
  • uiruki 31 Oct 2020 00:53:16 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Related but as I close in on the end of Ryu ga Gotoku 4 it's really amazing how well a lot of the cutscene animation has held up. When they really went for it they created facial animation that is still up there with the best today, in my opinion, even ten years later. It helps the story so much.
  • Humperfunk 31 Oct 2020 14:46:11 8,436 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just a quick question on Trails IV - I'm still on the intro as I didn't play it last night and there is a section with Estelle and Joshua out of Trails in the Sky, and Lloyd and some others from the other one.

Is it basically essential to play the other games? They're talking like I know who each character is, particularly the non main ones mentioned above, and I'm clueless unless I missed massive amounts in III?
  • uiruki 31 Oct 2020 19:10:23 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It helps with details of the story but they do spend a long time explaining everything, I think you'll be fine.

There's a lot of fan service with characters from the earlier games; it's less that you need to know everything than it's nice to have all the callbacks. It might help more in Hajimari as that's as much Lloyd's story as anything else (possibly as a reaction to complaints about Sen 4) but I think you'll get the idea with him pretty quickly.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Nov 2020 15:17:28 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And 100%'d Robotics;Note Elite which was better than I expected drspite the localisation having mibor issues (in the bits I could check by ear anyway, mostly editing problems).

Now to decide if it is worth starting DaSH or wait for Yakuza 7 next week...
  • uiruki 3 Nov 2020 15:34:35 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sounds like a path to burnout if you try and rush through it.

Getting further in SMT3, the issues with menu pauses on fusion aren't as bad on PS4 as on Switch, but the screen does flash black occasionally when moving away from NPCs (I assume it's a camera bug where it thinks it is where it shouldn't be). I also lost an hour of progress by getting too excited after learning the drain mana skill on my main character and firing a 25MP spell into multiple enemies which reflected it back in my face. Newer games are much more helpful when telling you about enemies that you've already encountered and their weaknesses!

Mary Skelter Final is out on Thursday, which I'd forgotten about. Got a Gold rating in Famitsu which means it should be alright; I liked the previous one but towards the end it got a bit too broken.

Edited by uiruki at 15:36:13 03-11-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Nov 2020 15:44:34 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shame to hear about SMT3 having issues, hopefully they will be fixed by the western release (and I may skew PS4 unless Switch isbwell fixed).

Nice to see MS Final getting good reviews even though I still haven't played the first 2...

How long is Y7? (which Yakuza game does it feel similar in length to anyway?)
  • uiruki 3 Nov 2020 18:32:18 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's closer to 4 than 5, and much longer than 3 or 6. My clear save was 64 hours, definitely on the long side for an RGG. Really great though, well worth it.

Got an SSD coming for my PS4 tomorrow, ready for PS5. Wonder if that'll improve things on SMT.
  • uiruki 4 Nov 2020 15:04:17 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Here's your regular reminder that Malindy Hetfield's opinions on Japanese games aren't worth they paper they're not printed on.
  • Tuffty 4 Nov 2020 15:13:25 4,763 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone else played 13 Sentinels? 10 hrs in and throughly enjoying it. Its a visual novel with real time strategy RPG of sorts from Vanillaware (Odin Sphere, Muramasa). The basic premise is Evangelion, giant monsters attack Tokyo and teenagers pilot giant mechs to fight them. That is a huge simplification though as the giant robots v monsters isn't even the most interesting thing about it. Wont say much more but I think for a game that tells a story involving time travel, told in a non chronological order across 13 protaganists, they do a great job. Each protaganist is interesting and feels like every chapter in their story adds more to you piecing the puzzle together while dropping an all new bombshell onto the story. Will need to see how it all ends but so far so good.
  • uiruki 4 Nov 2020 15:15:12 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I loved it, even though I don't normally play visual novels. Just a succession of cliffhangers around a classic idea-driven sci-fi plot full of references. Top soundtrack too.
  • Tuffty 4 Nov 2020 15:24:00 4,763 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki I dont normally play them either, I just tried it on a recommendation and was glad I did. Forgot to mention, but as its a Vanillaware game, it looks absolutely gorgeous too, the artwork is stunning.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Nov 2020 15:38:51 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Here's your regular reminder that Malindy Hetfield's opinions on Japanese games aren't worth they paper they're not printed on.
    Yeah, she never seema to do too well with Japanese games (both in her facts (soaplands being the closest things to brothels in Japan as an example) and her being far too touchy on subjects she doesn't like. I did actually comment (as non controversially as possible) this time that at least she talked about the game and not just her social commentary on Japan but I expect better reviews over at USGamer generally. And she seems to always get the Yakuza games...
  • uiruki 4 Nov 2020 15:42:13 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    @uiruki I dont normally play them either, I just tried it on a recommendation and was glad I did. Forgot to mention, but as its a Vanillaware game, it looks absolutely gorgeous too, the artwork is stunning.
    It gets even better too, as things build towards the conclusion.
  • uiruki 4 Nov 2020 15:45:33 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    uiruki wrote:
    Yeah, she never seema to do too well with Japanese games (both in her facts (soaplands being the closest things to brothels in Japan as an example) and her being far too touchy on subjects she doesn't like. I did actually comment (as non controversially as possible) this time that at least she talked about the game and not just her social commentary on Japan but I expect better reviews over at USGamer generally. And she seems to always get the Yakuza games...
    I think that she's just fallen into the niche as a freelancer who'll do that stuff. I guess it's worth more on the front page rather than in the niche thread where people talk about them more regularly.
  • Rogueywon 4 Nov 2020 16:03:41 10,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mandy's just part of the Edwinisation process of EG. She gives off the distinct vibe that she doesn't really care much to be writing about games... she wants to be a general op-ed writer and games writing was just a foot in the door.

She does have some weird hang-ups when it comes to Japan, as well.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Nov 2020 16:19:49 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, she seems to be a strange mix of having some knowledge of Japan but also having the aforementioned "weird hang-ups" and things she reports as fact that are wrong (like my example and I recall others in previous articles that I forget).

I still have yet tk get 13 Sentinels but it will be on my xmas lists for family who ask and if they fail I will just grab it myself during January. (Unless it gets an irresistable Black Friday reduction)
  • uiruki 6 Nov 2020 00:08:16 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Finished the first jail on Mary Skelter Finale. Too slow a start for a second sequel IMO. While the zapping system (copyright 1998 Capcom) is a good idea and works well once you're in the dungeon - making you swap back and forth between groups to unlock doors and ration out story, a system I last saw only a couple of months back in Hajimari no Kiseki - it means that I've basically had six or so introductory stories so far.

I don't normally skip this much dialogue this early on. I get it - this guy's an amnesiac, these characters are all from the previous game, this character's supposed to be an enemy but isn't into indiscriminate murder, they've all been messed up by the GENOCIDE PINK. Haven't had to rub anyone yet which is a plus, I suppose. Battles and dungeon exploration aren't quite Experience level turbo speed but they are snappy enough and I look forward to really diving into the dungeon crawling, especially since the flower farming for loot is still very much present. Once the exposition calms down a bit I think this'll be a nice little evolution with the multiple parties which do actually have different systems for managing blood and corruption. I'd still recommend Yomi wo Saku Hana ahead of it though as a Japan only DRPG, now it's out on PS4 and Switch. Or you could wait three weeks for Galleria, which I have high hopes for.

Special mention for the low resolution on PS4 Pro too. It's working the system quite hard, as seen when I go into the system menu and the fans spool up, but it's running at maybe 1200p? Might actually be 1080p, this is a new TV and I'm getting used to the size of it. For a series that started on the Vita I wanted crispy UI and text, at the very lest. Hopefully the PS5 can free me from the curse of blurry kanji.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Nov 2020 02:04:54 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Going back to PSP kanji was quite the challenege for blurriness...

I imagine if/when we get a localisation of MS Finale it will be Switch only like the last one ended up due to Sony effectively being SonyCal.

I am reasonably confident Yomi wo Saku Hana will get localised so will wait for that one, have Blue Chevalier and Sword City Revisited in Feb too. Really need to play the first Coven Labyrinth game properly as demo seemed promising. If I had a handheld accessible Switch I might have been quicker getting to it. Still got plenty to catch up with on Vita though. Probably have Yakuza 7 as my next main console game and Cyberpunk for PC time with SMT IV for my handheld choice...
  • uiruki 8 Nov 2020 00:55:58 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gotten onto the second/fourth dungeon in Mary Skelter Finale. Had to deal with another wodge of talking but it feels like it's getting back to where we were in the previous game in terms of being able to do stuff like mess about with classes and the jails and such. It definitely feels on the easier side so far; maybe to be expected as the sequel to a game where I literally managed to rig the regular roulettes in the game to instantly level up characters on command. Look forward to completely breaking the game fairly soon!
  • Rogueywon 23 Nov 2020 15:58:53 10,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sequel to The World Ends With You coming next year for Switch and PS4. That feels like pretty big news.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 23 Nov 2020 16:09:14 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wonder how it will turn put. I heard the rereleases of the original were lacking but I suppose at least this one will be built with single screen play in mind. I always meant to back for the second playthrough in the original too as I recall it added to the story. Playing the original while I loved in Japan was an interesting correlation too.
  • Rogueywon 23 Nov 2020 16:21:00 10,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Will be interesting to see whether they manage to make it as sheer bloody stylish as the first one. As far as Japanese games go, TWEWY was probably the most stylish I'd seen, until Persona 5 came along.
  • uiruki 6 Dec 2020 23:34:08 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Been playing a couple of games recently. Nothing to do with hitting 5-2 in Demon's Souls, doing a big sigh and moving on to something else. Something about having my controls/movement messed with that I just don't like so I'll need to take a run-up on it. Aside from that I'm not far off the end...

Anyway, Coven and the Labyrinth of Galleria is the second of Nippon Ichi's DRPG series and while it's not quite the breath of fresh air that Refrain was (to the point of being called out by Etrian Odyssey creator Kazuya Niinou as being a great example of the genre) it's just really, really good and exposes the weaknesses in the design of Mary Skelter. Battles are quicker than they were in the first, even with a 9 person team it's still pretty zippy and bogging down less. Map design is still fun, with lots of traps and tricks you have to work out when to avoid and when to take on. The story's a bit slight but it's better than the pointless cruelty in the original. Music's a new soundtrack from Tenpei Sato so you already know how it sounds.

In short - it's still that same style of game with the quick navigation, deadly traps and relatively forgiving game systems as long as you aren't trying to take too much advantage of the risk/reward system. Technically it's what you can reasonably expect from PS5, running at 4k60 with a maybe 5 second initial load and then you're done.

Atelier Ryza 2 follows on three years after the original and the main thing that's stuck me in terms of the setting is how much more mature the main character is. As a result there's not much drama 25 hours in, even by Atelier standards. I like that though as we're just adventuring around and it's starting to let me make ridiculous items. Already started hitting the 600 quality limit and I'm sure I'll be able to take things up to 999 soon.

On the technical side it's less of a home run on the PS5 native version: it tries to run at 60 but it spends more time closer to 30 - a good candidate for VRR. It's at a better version of 4K than what previous Tecmo Koei engine games have managed previously, but I think it'll get a lot of complaints about the graphics. Less so about the loading though, it's effectively instant which does a great job of reducing stress when going back AGAIN to empty out your basket. I think that's a big reason why I've spent so much time on it, as it's just so quick to move on to the next task.

Edited by uiruki at 23:40:23 06-12-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.