Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 17

• Humperfunk 25 Dec 2020 23:05:42 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After a month off to play PS5, I've returned to Trails of Cold Steel IV. Was only 12 hours in, now approaching 50...and I have absolutely no fucking clue what is going on or who anyone is. They're mentioning characters from games that have never been released in the West so why should I care?

I've just sat through a 50 minute cutscene, started the next chapter...and so far its 20 more minutes of them talking about characters and things I again have never heard of.

I'm enjoying the game when I play it and there are great moments for a fan of the Cold Steel series, but mad they've not released other games in the Legend of Heroes series but have with this one, one where it seems to be essential to have played every other game.
  • Humperfunk 25 Dec 2020 23:07:54 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also I do enjoy trophies and going after them, but in this they've made the cunty decision to make it impossible to get some unless you play the entire game twice. 50 hours on high speed mode and I'm probably half way, fuck that!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Dec 2020 23:58:52 4,278 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The above is why I am playing the Trails games in release order. Only up to Zero (the 4th game) but by the time I have finished it the updated Azure patch should be out so I can grab that too before finally moving onto my Cold Steels...

Rpg trophies usually suck in requirements. FF Type 0 was an odd easy one where the Platinum popped before finishing the firat playthrough (and that game really needed two playthroughs storywise).

In other news hoping for 13 Sentinels for Xmas so had to ignore sales, didn't get it (ended up with Trials of Mana) and now seems to be sold out in a lot of places. Wonder if Game will reduce it tomorrow...
  • Humperfunk 26 Dec 2020 01:13:10 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I do wish I had known this. Like I say, I am enjoying it as the characters of Class VII both old and new are excellent. Just that I have no idea or care who some of these others are and there isn't any warning to say "learn Japanese to play the others first" sadly.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Dec 2020 03:19:46 4,278 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Did you even play the Sky trilogy? Thry are all officially in English on PC and Zero is fully and decently translated now on PC too (search for Geofront site for how to buy/patch). Azure's Geofront patch is due next year (there is an exiating patch but the GF one should be better when it releases).

I enjoyed the Sky games and Zero seemed decent from what I played (some people consider the two Crossbell gamea (Zero and Azure) to be their favourites in the series). We may get official localisation of Zero and Azure bow that they have console ports but it may take a while if we do.

On my JRPGs, after a 2 week break from Yakuza:Like a Dragon I have finally beaten the chapter 12 boss which had been a difficulty spike and killed me twice already. Wonder if I will get time to finish the game this year.....
  • Rogueywon 26 Dec 2020 12:01:26 11,524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Atelier Ryza 2 pre-order is £36 on cdkeys. I enjoyed the first one as a fluffy comfort-blanket game, so think I'm going to bite at that price.
  • Humperfunk 28 Dec 2020 18:22:46 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx nah, I dont have a PC capable of playing them unfortunately. Seen rumours for a long time of the Sky games coming to PS4 but very much doubt that will ever happen.

Just posted this in the 52 games thread re: IV as finished now:

Credits rolling on the true ending now. Took around 75 hours and for the most part, very enjoyable. Some cutscenes just go on and on and on and on (you get the picture) and would have really helped had they released other games in the series in the West considering how much crossover there is which is vital for the story.

Trophies are that cunty "play this 75 hour game twice to get this bronze" type ones, and I missed two silver ones by missing one chest out of 358, and missing scanning one enemy out of fucking 490. No idea where the chest was as I was meticulous and you can't check, and the enemy was an identical one to another in an area you can't return to.

But gripes aside, the characters of the main cast are so good for four games that have taken well over 250 hours to complete. Would say that the first was best, then second, then third and this was the weakest but overall, what a phenomenal series. If they release the others in the west (and on console) then I look forward to playing them.
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Dec 2020 18:28:20 10,948 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx nah, I dont have a PC capable of playing them unfortunately. Seen rumours for a long time of the Sky games coming to PS4 but very much doubt that will ever happen.

Just posted this in the 52 games thread re: IV as finished
    They can run on a potato, you should definitely give them a look and check the very low specs required. Fc & Sc of TiTS are both on Vita too

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 18:28:52 28-12-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Dec 2020 19:37:06 4,278 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I played the Sky games on an Atom tablet. Really low spec. I imagine the Crossbell ones are low enough too.
  • RyanDS 29 Dec 2020 11:20:27 13,956 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Robotics Notes is some kind of bullshit.

Enjoying it despite the terrible decisions. It is incredibly obtuse, the skip button doesn't work and needs to be played with a guide which is just annoying.

I really hate I literally have a guide open when I play that says "On this day respond to this tweet." So no spoilers or anything, but always annoying.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Dec 2020 12:11:00 4,278 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, RN's reliance on a guide to get the chapters in the right order was an awful design decision. I enjoyed the story overall though. I hear the structure is better in DaSH but not played it much yet.
  • Humperfunk 29 Dec 2020 21:36:17 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 haha mate my laptop can't even run To The Moon...! Not even exaggerating :(
  • Humperfunk 29 Dec 2020 21:37:02 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    @Graxlar_v3 haha mate my laptop can't even run To The Moon...! Not even exaggerating :(
    But Vita?! Well well well that changes everything! Will have a look now!
  • dominalien 29 Dec 2020 21:57:20 10,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíve been playing AI The Somnium Files today. What a pleasure it is.

Iím really appreciating an adult protagonist for a change with a laid back attitude towards sex and stuff. Makes a very refreshing change from all the teenage cringe that usually accompanies these things.

I find it hard to come to grips with the starting situation of parents giving their 8yo daughter to a 26yo man for safekeeping. Just doesnít ring true. I have no problems with a dream-invading machine, however.

I really like how serious it is. Itís a very welcome change. Even the token talking small creature is not annoying somehow. The banter is usually excellent.

It moves at a very brisk pace, too, I was astounded at how quickly todayís hours just flew by.

Edited by dominalien at 21:58:58 29-12-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Dec 2020 22:46:18 4,278 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I enjoyed AI. Still need to try the demo of Death Come True (and possibly the full game) which involves thsame author IIRC.

Still hoping for an English physical of the Moon Premium (I think the Japanese game has English but the extra materials aren't), then again postBrexit possibly can't import things anyway...
  • Humperfunk 29 Dec 2020 22:58:29 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loved AI, completed it in about five days with the platinum I think, so good.

I've got on my fiance's computer whilst she is away and downloaded Trails in the Sky on Steam as I could only find the second one on Vita...

Immediately the second character who appears is a major player towards the end of Cold Steel IV, superb!
  • Humperfunk 29 Dec 2020 23:54:57 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shit now just seen a proper updated release of the first Zero game is coming to Steam in summer 2021! Plenty of time to try and get these three done then 😄
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 30 Dec 2020 00:03:41 4,278 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think there was some licensing issue with the first Trails PSP game that got it delisted from European PS Store. Apparently the PC version is a lot better both in localisation updates and quality of life features.

As far as I know the upcoming Steam Zero/Ao games are currently only listed as Chinese/Korean but hopefully it will lead to an official localisation. I bought Zero from DLSite (a Japanese webshop) and used the Geofront patch bit as you say, plenty of time so get the three Sky games done then see what the situation is (the Geofront Ao (Azure) patch will likely be released by then too.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Jan 2021 17:42:53 4,278 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Regretting putting 13 Sentinels on my Xmas list last year now. It didn't get bought for meand I missed several chances to grab it for 33 quid on ebay (new) and now it seems to be going out of stock everywhere (bar the 50 quid full RRP places). Note to self, don't put the most obscure stuff I want on xmas lists in future... I expected it be around longer as Sakura Wars is still easy to get cheaply enough...

Edit - if Game hadn't had the exclusive preorder only mini artbook I would likely have preordered it elsewhere too...

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 17:45:44 06-01-2021
  • Nazo 6 Jan 2021 23:23:52 1,778 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think itís in the PS Store sale at the moment?
  • Rogueywon 6 Jan 2021 23:27:59 11,524 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yep, £33.49. I'm in the mid-game now and can confidently say it's worth that price. Worth £49.99 as well.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 7 Jan 2021 02:24:32 4,278 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't want digital ;)

Need to hope Game had enough stock with their stupid exclusive and put it on sale soon.
  • uiruki 21 Jan 2021 19:27:09 5,788 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've been playing the Disgaea 6 demo and it's pretty fun. Performance isn't great on Switch but on PS5 it's pretty much solid 60 unless you choose the extreme detail option which does some crazy supersampling, it looks like.

The whole thing's been massively streamlined for speed, and the really interesting new thing is the auto battle system; you can customise your characters' AI to act as you want and you can get pretty in-depth with it, doing things like specifying where to move or triggering actions every X turns, even doing pick up/throw actions. The programming aspect of it sounds like a lot of fun and as much of a challenge as going through normal story battles. I can't wait to see what crazy stuff people come up with.
  • Malek86 21 Jan 2021 19:30:06 11,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So it's like Disgaea, but for FF12 fans?
  • Malek86 21 Jan 2021 19:30:06 11,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Jan 2021 19:34:16 16,901 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I've been playing the Disgaea 6 demo and it's pretty fun. Performance isn't great on Switch but on PS5 it's pretty much solid 60 unless you choose the extreme detail option which does some crazy supersampling, it looks like.

The whole thing's been massively streamlined for speed, and the really interesting new thing is the auto battle system; you can customise your characters' AI to act as you want and you can get pretty in-depth with it, doing things like specifying where to move or triggering actions every X turns, even doing pick up/throw actions. The programming aspect of it sounds like a lot of fun and as much of a challenge as going through normal story battles. I can't wait to see what crazy stuff people come up with.
    Sounds interesting. I do like a Disgaea.
  • RyanDS 21 Jan 2021 19:34:19 13,956 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still plugging through Robotic Notes.

What a fuck up of a game. I actuallyvreally like the story but it is the worst science adventure game by far. No actual branches or alternate endings, it instead just ends or skips episodes. What a fucking stupid decision.

I am playing with a guide and only difference is guide is making me see the story in sequential order. Apart from I can't relax and enjoy it as I am 100% of the time I am more concerned that I need to remember to send a tweet on 13th August than focusing on the story.

In episode 9 now. Loving and hating it.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Jan 2021 19:35:02 16,901 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Given that I love both D6 might be my perfect game.
  • uiruki 21 Jan 2021 20:34:50 5,788 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Kinda? It's always been about grinding battles so them providing a way to do that easily is just as much of an intended use as people trying to optimise the AI. There's always been a puzzle element to the game with stuff like geo panels so it's a logical next step. You can save a bunch of different AIs per character so you can set ones up for doing things like hunting down Innocents in the item world or theoretically set up a 'master' one for the inevitable one turn grinding map you unlock about 2/3 the way through the story.
  • uiruki 27 Jan 2021 20:28:33 5,788 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Full game of Disgaea 6 is out - it takes up less than 2.7gb on my PS5. I think that the character models might not be texture mapped, as they're really sharp in a way that the backgrounds and 2D assets aren't. That'd explain the issues the Switch had running the demo.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.