Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 18

• Rogueywon 27 Jan 2021 20:39:04 11,357 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ooooh... tempting. Though I never did finish Disgaea 5.

Just started Atelier Ryza 2. PC version is a hot mess, but the game's as charming as expected. Ryza's in her 20s now, but can still get stupidly excited by a barrel.
  • uiruki 27 Jan 2021 20:43:08 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    If the PS5 version's anything to go by it's a really hard game to drive. It regularly goes below 30. Loading's super fast though!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Jan 2021 20:43:35 4,251 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I never did get into the Disgaea series, after buying the first 3 and barely touching them I stopped with the series. In other news I polished Yakuza Like a Dragon which I enjoyed (except the Premium NG+ dungeons which sound like they might need a fair bit of grinding. In other notes the wife got me an early birthday 13 Sentinels before all stock dried up so will likely play that next.
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Jan 2021 12:44:27 16,858 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looks like Disgaea 6 is only out in Japan today. Everywhere else has to wait until at least the Summer and it might be a Switch exclusive in Europe.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 12:45:17 28-01-2021
  • uiruki 28 Jan 2021 14:00:06 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    They need to change their mind on that. It does not run well on switch.
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Jan 2021 14:28:59 16,858 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think 5 might have sold much better on Switch than PS4 here. Although there were originally rumours that 5 would not get a Switch release due to the low sales of the PS4 version. (I waited for Switch version).

If I am right (which I probably arenít) then that will likely be why they go Switch only here.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Jan 2021 21:55:23 4,251 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, seems to be Switch exclusive in both US and Europe. I am assuming this game has nothing that Sony would block (like with Mary Skelter). Otherwise I wouldnt imagine printing (or digitally releasing) the PS4 version should be fairly cheap and it isn't as if NISA aren't used to low print run games.
  • uiruki 30 Jan 2021 18:20:56 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    And done with D6. I'm a bit mixed on it; I can't recommend the base game this time around as the story and characters are the worst yet. The other content is super light too - from 47 to 22 classes, the game takes you through the same worlds twice, and the post-game only has one super basic story chapter. What I do like though is the work on the AI system as it's really fun to just mess around with it and see what happens. It's the best gambit-style system yet and at the start at least it's nice to let it mop up the last few enemies at speed. The problem comes with the game balance, where it becomes too effective to just fast forward through the actual battles and let the computer do the work.

There is a season pass but it's 6k yen and only seems to add 11 characters from earlier games; nothing on extra story content yet. I'd definitely recommend waiting for a complete edition on this one, especially if it also means a PS4 version.

They also kinda fucked up by having everyone start at like 60,000HP and similar other stats. Part of the appeal is dragging characters up from almost nothing. I found equipment to be borderline worthless too, compared to just levelling characters up. What's an extra 30k attack when you're at millions?

I also mentioned this but as I went through the game, it became less and less stable on my PS5. 4 crashes in less than 30 hours is too many, especially when I went over 100 in Galleria without so much as a hiccup.
  • Malek86 30 Jan 2021 18:30:47 11,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I can't recommend the base game this time around as the story and characters are the worst yet.
    I always heard that 5 was the worst yet, so I guess the series is spiraling downwards.
  • uiruki 30 Jan 2021 18:36:41 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    5 at least has Takehito Koyasu having a lot of fun. The voice actors in this are pretty much all disinterested sounding (recording apart due to corona possibly?) and the story is basically "I won't give up" "You can't defeat destiny" "I just did" "Oh shit, we need another 5 chapters and we've already been through all the map variations twice, now what do we do".

edit: Oh yeah, monster weapons, weapon special attacks and giant mode are gone as well.

Edited by uiruki at 18:37:42 30-01-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 30 Jan 2021 18:38:56 16,858 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought 5 was better than 2 and 3. (Far simplified from 4 which was hugely grating at first but it grew on me).
  • uiruki 30 Jan 2021 18:43:04 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    4 went completely insane towards the end and everyone sounded like they were having great fun.
  • Rogueywon 30 Jan 2021 19:00:46 11,357 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I really liked 4 - probably my favorite since the original. 5 is the only one I haven't managed to finish.
  • PazJohnMitch 30 Jan 2021 21:05:38 16,858 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    4 is actually my favourite. (Original is second).
  • Nazo 31 Jan 2021 10:18:47 1,754 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any tips on buying from the Japanese store(s)? I know I can get PSN / Switch credit from play-asia etc but they charge a fairly hefty markup.
  • uiruki 31 Jan 2021 10:25:44 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That's basically it. I have a credit card saved on my New 3DS from before they started checking more, and can also use the Suica app on my phone to charge my Nintendo account, but at the moment PSN credit is 'ask friend who lives in Japan' or 'pay extra from other stores'. If you somehow have a Japanese Paypal account then they work but foreign ones don't.
  • Rogueywon 31 Jan 2021 23:58:01 11,357 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Think I'm quite close to the end of 13 Sentinels now. Most of the cast have had their Get in the fucking robot, Shinji moments and I think I've worked out most of the timeline. Pleased that I called one of the big secrets really early.

Interesting that the mecha in this look much more Western than Japanese. Some of them are basically BattleTech designs. The 2nd Generation units look like the Warhammer class, while some of the 3rd Generation look like the Rifleman.
  • uiruki 31 Jan 2021 23:59:51 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    They're inspired by the Stuart Gordon classic Robot Jox, no joke. Seeing that in an interview was what started to turn me around to it after the initial disappointment of seeing it was an ADV.

Edited by uiruki at 00:00:07 01-02-2021
  • Rogueywon 1 Feb 2021 00:03:58 11,357 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @uiruki And I'm guessing BattleTech ripped off Robot Jox somewhere along the way, as it ripped off so many other mecha franchises. That would explain why I got the strong vibe.
  • uiruki 1 Feb 2021 00:20:46 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think Battletech was earlier, but they definitely both fall into the 'Western Mecha' style. Here's the interview I saw the mention if you're curious:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201912/11188418.html

It's in Japanese obviously but I think the key line is (my translation, inferior options are available for the same price): "I wanted to do Robot Jox. Rather than the modern type of slim, stylish robots that fly around, I wanted unrefined, grim-looking robots, heavy machinery and leaking oil. I then made the setting completely the opposite, more like a girls' manga, drawn in fine detail, thinking that it would be satisfying to experience that disconnect."
  • Rogueywon 1 Feb 2021 00:24:36 11,357 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @uiruki BattleTech came in waves (and is still coming) and has lifted designs from a lot of other places over the years. But yeah... "Western-style mecha" will do. I absolutely love the art style in this game.

I'd like to see more of the grim-looking robots in games in general. Big, properly-stompy mecha are seriously under-represented among all the whizzy Gundams and the like.
  • RyanDS 1 Feb 2021 09:11:28 13,939 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh god.

Why do Japanese games keep doing this?

Robotic Notes Elite down to am on Dash.

The world ending threat here is...
    All the women in the world suddenly are in cat maid outfits...

So you resolve that and it escalates.

Now the women are all in PE uniforms with skimpy pants.

Fuck me.

I know it will get better, I have faith in the devs who have astounded me with every game, but this is the reason a canít play on my switch in public.
  • dominalien 1 Feb 2021 10:51:21 10,402 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't wait until I get through all the maid outfit- and skimpy-pants-pe-outfit-less drivel I've been playing so I can get to this.

I don't think it's on the Vita, so Switch it'll have to be. I just don't want to have to explain this to anyone when I'm playing on the living room TV on the PS5.
  • uiruki 1 Feb 2021 10:56:45 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, stuff like that kind of comes with the territory with smaller games. Refrain/Galleria's pretty bad for that as you'll be fighting evil onions and balls of twine then suddenly after 70 hours you'll be suddenly fighting some fetish demon pointing their arse at the screen and then you'll be back to toy robots and stuff.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2021 13:03:26 16,858 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Danganronpa 2ís girl who kept on falling ďawkwardlyĒ, pretty much stopped me playing my Vita on the train. This then essentially stopped me playing the Vita at all.

Random objectification of school girls is always a worry with Japanese games. (And probably a factor in why their sales have dropped off in the West).

Another factor is outdated saving practices that force you to continue playing to reach a save point. (For me this is actually the biggest reason I starting going off Japanese games).

I still love Japanese games but they are becoming harder and harder to love.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 13:09:04 01-02-2021
  • RyanDS 1 Feb 2021 13:25:40 13,939 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Y flatmate walked in on me playing Yakuza. Of course it happened to be the first insect fight.

Jesus that was hard to explain.
  • uiruki 1 Feb 2021 13:46:26 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's such a specific reference too!

Not sure I agree with the save thing, I don't think that's been a major issue for a while now. At the very least a game will provide a save option as something they learned from when a lot of stuff moved portable. Hell, I played through Harmony of Dissonance yesterday, a game pushing 20 years old, and the nature of the way they handled saving actually worked in my favour a lot of the time.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2021 13:50:25 16,858 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I stopped playing Persona 5 due to its saves. Probably the most stylish game ever made and I ended up playing fucking Bugsnax in preference to it.
  • uiruki 1 Feb 2021 14:09:24 5,767 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That just sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face tbh. I think that one sticks out as an exception. People have recognised that you can have tension without the penalty of losing progress: my stomach would still leap up to my throat when I almost fall off a ledge in Galleria, and SMT4 Final still had a gruelling, tense slog of a final dungeon when you could toss a few game coins to cheat death without penalty. Trails even exposes internal auto recovery saves to the player nowadays and Yakuza started auto saving as soon as they lost the PS3 legacy engine.

That said; I still save early, save often and in multiple slots, either at chapter transitions or when I think something risky might happen but I had that beaten into me in the 90s on the PC. Ironically itís only really Trails where I have to take advantage of that as they still havenít completely eliminated missable stuff.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2021 14:24:08 16,858 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    20 - 40 minutes between saves. Cannot reach check point but need to turn off PS5 immediately. So need to put PS5 in Rest mode. Rest mode fails because it is shit on PS5. Fuck that. Cannot be arsed replaying the progress I just lost.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.