Following The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 19

• uiruki 1 Feb 2021 14:26:08 5,767 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Playing from external? I gave up on that after the time it took about 15 minutes of the OS criticising me and rebooting to sort itself out.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2021 14:30:28 16,858 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I donít find the prospect of losing progress tension building I find it annoying. Especially when I have to stop playing for real world reasons.

Losing progress because I died is fine. Look at the Souls games.

Losing progress because the last save point was 4 hours ago and I need to go pick up my Mum. (See FFXV Adamantoise).

Or losing progress because I need to take the wife to hospital (actually the Persona 5 example), pile of shite.

I find this annoying and I do not even have children who would drastically increase the requirement to stop playing at a momentís notice.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 16:17:23 01-02-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2021 14:31:35 16,858 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki no, PS5 SSD. (Not used an external HDD, although on one PS5 Rest Mode failure it did accuse me of doing so).

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 14:32:34 01-02-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2021 14:43:56 16,858 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Essentially I think the Souls method is ideal as it lets you save immediately at anytime and pick up precisely from where you are. It also has a gameplay mechanic where you are only safe at key points but it gives you a chance to recover your progress.

If this gameplay mechanic does not exist then let people save anywhere and also auto save at known safe spots to avoid glitches / poor save placements making a game impossible to continue/ finish.
  • dominalien 1 Feb 2021 19:35:55 10,402 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I do not have your experience at all. I don't lose progress, as a rule. Rest mode has been very helpful with that.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2021 20:48:16 16,858 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When it doesnít crash. (And the PS5 Rest Mode crashes a lot),

I used the PS4 rest mode a lot. (So as you say the FFXV example is not completely fair). Although that was due to something Sony provided not Square. And which Sony frankly have not reliably provided on PS5.
  • spookyxelectric 1 Feb 2021 20:51:08 376 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jesus, is the Adamantoise battle really four hours long? I remember skipping it when I'd heard it was one or two hours long, but FOUR?
    I never platinuming that game. And I was considering doing so, as I've gone back and played the DLC episodes over the past week. Oh well.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2021 20:57:43 16,858 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Think it took me about 5. Although I also think I was doing it wrong.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 21:02:11 01-02-2021
  • uiruki 1 Feb 2021 23:20:29 5,767 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Judge Eyes is getting a PS5/Xbox release in April. It's also on Stadia for some reason but no PC release. Cheap, though - 40 dollars in the US for the deluxe version but in Japan there's going to be a base PS5 version without the DLC for just 1980 yen. I'll definitely pick it up at that price.
  • spookyxelectric 1 Feb 2021 23:22:51 376 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Unlikely it'll get a free PS5 update, eh?
    Still, that's the RGG game I hoped got the remastered treatment most, as it had the best visuals of any Dragon Engine title.
  • uiruki 1 Feb 2021 23:31:00 5,767 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    No update or save transfer, same as RGG7 International. I think I'd be happy going through again though, the animation is so good in that game especially towards the end with the crazy kung fu action in the cutscenes.
  • spookyxelectric 2 Feb 2021 00:07:27 376 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lady Dimitrescu officially a giant.

https://twitter.com/re_games/status/1356391885816823808?s=21
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Feb 2021 00:19:21 4,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Judge Eyes is getting a PS5/Xbox release in April. It's also on Stadia for some reason but no PC release. Cheap, though - 40 dollars in the US for the deluxe version but in Japan there's going to be a base PS5 version without the DLC for just 1980 yen. I'll definitely pick it up at that price.
    Surprised it is going Xbox but not PC. PC port would be a nice easy one for the 'removed actor' restoration patch. Was 4 the only other one who had a character recast after release?
  • spookyxelectric 2 Feb 2021 00:26:08 376 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    More surprised it's going to Stadia than I am that it's going to Xbox. Terrible timing on the Stadia announcement, what with the closing of Stadia Studios.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2021 03:04:10
    Post deleted
  • uiruki 2 Feb 2021 08:19:56 5,767 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Surprised it is going Xbox but not PC. PC port would be a nice easy one for the 'removed actor' restoration patch. Was 4 the only other one who had a character recast after release?
    Yeah, just those two. Wouldn't be surprised to find out the PC version was quietly delayed in favour of a deal to get it on Stadia, like what happened with Samurai Shodown.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Feb 2021 20:28:54 4,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see this is getting both a localisation and physical release over here:

https://funstock.co.uk/collections/rice/products/kowloon-high-school-chronicle-limited-edition-nintendo-switch

I heard the Japan only PS2 version was supposed to he decent so might be worth a look. Apparently not the later 'updated release' due to Atlus losing source assets but still tempted as a dungeon crawler...

Uiruki?
  • dominalien 3 Feb 2021 08:11:56 10,402 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    spookyxelectric wrote:
    Jesus, is the Adamantoise battle really four hours long? I remember skipping it when I'd heard it was one or two hours long, but FOUR?
    I never platinuming that game. And I was considering doing so, as I've gone back and played the DLC episodes over the past week. Oh well.
    There's an item that cuts the time by 3/4 at least.
  • uiruki 3 Feb 2021 08:53:00 5,767 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx I always had that down as an ADV so never touched it.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Feb 2021 09:46:38 4,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx I always had that down as an ADV so never touched it.
    Fair enough, I don't know what the balance is so thought it was more dungeon crawly. You usually are more up to date on the Japanese only release of those than I am. This game was one I hadn't really heard of until a few weeks ago.
  • uiruki 3 Feb 2021 09:53:27 5,767 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, I had a look at some guides online and the maps I saw were pretty simple, and it appears to be do dungeon - talking part - dungeon - talking part etc. Lots of bits where you choose what to say though - and they added full voice for the scenario so if the story interests you I'd say it's worth a punt.
  • uiruki 12 Feb 2021 16:25:59 5,767 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Release date announced for the PS4 HD Remaster for Nayuta no Kiseki - June 24. Only 4000 yen as well so I'll definitely be picking that up.
  • Rogueywon 13 Feb 2021 11:52:32 11,357 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Seems Blue Reflection is getting an anime adaptation. In terms of tone, visual style and general feel, the game's pretty distinctive, so curious to see how the adaptation will turn out.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 Feb 2021 13:08:19 4,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I never did end up buying Blue Reflection when it was cheap. Probably a bit costlier now. Still debating the Kowloon game and a few bigger name upcoming releases (P5S on PS4 and Nier Replicant). Already preordered the LE of Savior of Sapphore Wings/Sword City Revisited though. Looking forward to more SMT V news, although less confident with the SMT3 remake issues so far... Hoping the World Ends With you sequel is decent too. I enjoyed the Bravely Defaulr 2 demo more tba the DS demo but not sure about buying it. Ys IX is also on the maybe list for PS4 or PC... Hoping Saga Frontier remaster gets a physical release though...

Tempted to go back and finish off Kenzan when my Gamepass trial ends too.
  • uiruki 13 Feb 2021 23:12:20 5,767 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Isn't SMT5 an Unreal game? I think I remember seeing the logo. SMT3HD was just a port to Unity and it's pretty much OK now it's had a couple patches (barring the music which is tricky) so I don't think there's too much to worry about, especially since it's a single format game.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Feb 2021 14:05:09 4,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I belive SMT V is Unreal and I imagine they will be getting that right performancewise as a flagship title. I heard the SMT3 patches are a bit better than before but still some minor issues. I would have gravitated to Switch for it but I hear the performance is worse on there so not sure yet. Unity did seem an odd choice for the remaster though, particularly with them working on Unreal for the next mainline game, assume it was the decision of the porting devs.
  • Rogueywon 19 Feb 2021 09:27:05 11,357 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My digital deluxe version of Persona 5 Strikers unlocked this morning. Did a quick check to see that it isn't one of those terrible, terrible PC ports you sometimes get of Japanese games, but it seems fine. Not many bells and whistles, but it seems a solid port.

Probably not going to dive into this yet. I'm working through Nioh 2 on PC at the moment, having dropped the PS4 version because I got distracted by Persona 5 Royal. It would feel rude to crowd out poor Nioh 2 twice in a row for games from the same franchise.
  • Humperfunk 19 Feb 2021 13:15:12 8,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm hopeful my PS4 copy of Persona 5 Strikers will arrive today, Shopto emailed saying they posted it early yesterday so fingers crossed. If not, more Mario 3D World and Demon's Souls!
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Feb 2021 15:36:46 10,933 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    My digital deluxe version of Persona 5 Strikers unlocked this morning. Did a quick check to see that it isn't one of those terrible, terrible PC ports you sometimes get of Japanese games, but it seems fine. Not many bells and whistles, but it seems a solid port.

Probably not going to dive into this yet. I'm working through Nioh 2 on PC at the moment, having dropped the PS4 version because I got distracted by Persona 5 Royal. It would feel rude to crowd out poor Nioh 2 twice in a row for games from the same franchise.
    Anyone know how to get the duluxe version on switch?
  • Humperfunk 19 Feb 2021 15:54:04 8,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It arrived, hooray! Should get a good solid couple of hours in tonight, bosh!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.