Next Last
  • Humperfunk 19 Feb 2021 17:23:03 8,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smooth as silk on the PS5, lovely stuff
  • uiruki 19 Feb 2021 18:15:11 5,767 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    In fairness it's pretty damn consistent on PS4 in framerate mode too. Loading gets a nice boost on PS5 though.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 19 Feb 2021 21:02:50 4,251 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am going to sit on P5S a little as I suspect there should be enough copies with the Persona name for some minor price drops... And backlog...

Edit - and failed to wait, grabbed it for 38quid with Ebay voucher code... Atlus supported... Was tempted by Ys IX too as I imagine that will go out of stock quicker but could always go PC for that one later if needs be...

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 23:48:18 19-02-2021
  • spookyxelectric 22 Feb 2021 05:35:52 376 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't want to talk about it until I'd made some proper progress, but seeing as I'm three playthroughs into it, I suppose I can say now. I've been playing AI: The Somnium Files. It's fucking brilliant. Each playthrough is more gutwrenching than the last. I shed a few tears during Mayumi's Somnium.

I'll play through at least one more timeline later this evening.

Edited by spookyxelectric at 16:05:11 22-02-2021
  • Humperfunk 22 Feb 2021 09:55:24 8,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah AI is so good, was literally about this time last year I played it. Got the Platinum in less than a week, had just left my job so had a fair bit of time but was just so engrossed in it!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 22 Feb 2021 10:35:09 4,251 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I enjoyed AI too (also platinummed it). Not sure about World's End Club yet though... Suppose I could look up Apple reviews but not syre the reviewers in that segment will be the best attuned to whether it si good or not...
  • Rogueywon 22 Feb 2021 10:55:32 11,357 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Did the first two hours of P5S yesterday, though definitely holding off on going further until I've beaten Nioh 2. Was slightly surprised at how well put together it is - it recreates the look and feel of P5 really well. One major disappointment - it follows on from the base P5, rather than P5R, so no Kasumi/Sumire. It also indulges in a bit of savegame-terrorism, with one particularly huge gap between save points (albeit this is something Persona games do a lot in their early stages).

Looking forward to getting into it properly, even if it is no substitute for Persona 6. But at Atlus's recent rate, we can expect that to hit halfway through the PS6's lifespan.
  • Nazo 22 Feb 2021 11:09:10 1,754 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played through World's End Club on Apple Arcade, or at least the half of the game they made available.

It's a weird one, the game starts off with a very Danganronpa-esque opening but then shifts into something much more kid friendly and straight forward. I guess the opening was meant as a nod and a wink to those kind of games but it doesn't seem like something the target audience would necessarily get.

The game itself is just watching some story sequences and then some short and simple platforming sections. The story was ok, without the twisted humour there's not really a lot to recommend it. I enjoyed it as some Japanese practice and will probably continue if the rest of the game is available on Arcade when it's done but I wouldn't buy it on another platform and start from scratch if it's not.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 Feb 2021 13:55:13 4,251 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I remain cautious about World's End Club bit hope the combination of directors come out with a good game when it is completed (unlike on Apple Arcade).

In another note grabbed a reduced Japanese physical PS4 copy of Death Comes True and happy that a) I didn't get dinged for customs by DHL as Anazon Japan didn't do the usual prepay customs thing and b) that it does indeed fully support English (the Japanese PSN store listed multilanguage so figured it was a safe gamble). I imagine the bonus Making of BluRay is not English subtitled or regionfree though...

Edit - I have completed the game now and can confirm that all the in game content and bonus movies are fully subtitled. The game also does not need any patches at all so is 'complete on disc'. And I enjoyed the game, even if it is a bit short (which is probably the right length for the story)

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 11:07:36 25-02-2021
  • RyanDS 5 Mar 2021 19:39:17 13,939 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Okay. Anyone completed Robotic Notes Dash?

I have loved every science adventure game but hating this.

It is like a piss take of what people laugh about in Japanese games. I am wading through creepy married fat guy perving on schoolgirls. The big bad has turned girls clothes into perv stuff 3 times now. Frankly it is embarrassing to play.

Does it get better and how soon? All the girls have magic swimming costumes now...

The other games in the series have been some of my all time favourite games so my disappointment here is fucking high.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Mar 2021 02:08:00 4,251 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have avoided playing it so far (other than a quick look at the prologue) due to too many tales of how fan service it is (and I enjoyed RN Elite). I do plan to play it as I have played all localised entries and spinoffs in the SciAdv to date (bar SG MDE with its romance aetup) and the fan translations of CH and SG Octet. Your review in progress doesn't make me want to prioritise it though...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Mar 2021 21:35:08 4,251 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see Mary Skelter Finale has a western (including Europe) release announced. Still have to play through my originals (Vita/Switch) and have the fun of play order, but will likely stick with tried and tested release date order and start with Vita before moving onto 2 and then 1Remake. Wonder how much of the VN style content we will be getting with finale (just the recaps lf 1 and 2 or the bonus game from 2's release too?). Also, curious what the three bovels in the CE are (the first game CE had a novel and I have a Japanese only spinoff novel which I haven't read which may get translated...). I have generally heard good things about the series, maybe this year is theyear to finally play them..

In other notes, for those who missed the PS4/PC release the Silver Case games are hitting Switch. Maybe we will get a remake of Flower, Sun, Rain one day too... Not sure if I have a need to tripledip on TSC (I have PC LE and PS4 standard of TSC, and the PS4 LE of 25th Ward). Bit snealy that they are sticking the official localisationof the red, green, blue as a comic with the pricy LE that I likely already own the rest of the contents already... I did enjoy the Silver Case games though.
  • uiruki 7 Mar 2021 00:24:05 5,767 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Still in the middle of Mary Skelter Finale - ended up playing Galleria which is a much better game. In fairness it's much better than pretty much any game in the genre, it's amazing.

In other news, Amazon Japan seems to have started selling PSN credit digitally - if you want some games on the Japanese PSN without markup then it looks like that's going to work now. Only ten years late...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 7 Mar 2021 01:39:01 4,251 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Weren't you initially disappointed with Galleria? Or has it improved? I still need to play through the prequel. Hopefully NISA will sign up Galleria though as most of this years announcements from them are rereleases that are already localised.

Cool news re. Japanese credit though.
  • uiruki 7 Mar 2021 02:29:32 5,767 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It does have some tonal issues which it shares with Refrain, partly an apparent need to be 'edgy' where it doesn't really warrant it, and partly some enemy sprite designs which come out of nowhere.

The game itself is excellent, and it'd be spoilery to say exactly why, but I think it's just as innovative within the DRPG genre as Refrain was. The story also absolutely pays off if you're willing to go to the end, but it does lie beyond 100 hours of game and a genuinely gruelling final challenge. It's a game which will stay with me for a long time; if I wanted to be a bit blurry about timing I'd say it's right up there with 13 Sentinels as a 2020 game with a great payoff.
  • Malek86 7 Mar 2021 08:12:42 11,915 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After finishing Razor's Edge yesterday, I was tempted to see how the original NG3 played like. So I tried the old demo, and wow, it was bad. How did they go from NG2 to that?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 8 Mar 2021 13:09:06 4,251 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see Yomi wo Saku Hana is also getting localised (and I missed it due to the odd title) as Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi by Aksys. Still a lot of publisher switching with Experience Inc between NISA (most of their dungeon games including the soonto be released Saviorof Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City doible pack) and Aksys (the Spirit Hunter series and now Undernauts...). It does seem like Galleria is the only major one that we have previous entries of that remains unannounced (Coven took a long time to get localised too IiRC as it waited for Switch and PS4 ports and skipped Vita).
  • Humperfunk 19 Mar 2021 22:59:22 8,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne HD coming out over here 25th May, superb! That's the Mass Effect Trilogy on hold until I'm done with that.
  • Malek86 20 Mar 2021 06:31:08 11,915 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    50 euro for the regular game, and 70 euro for the DLC version (DLC in a remaster?) is even higher than the usual Atlus tax.
  • Rogueywon 28 Mar 2021 16:04:55 11,357 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Atelier Ryza 2 is great. It's possibly just that with me finding lockdown etc at bit bleak at the moment, it's exactly the sort of game I needed. But I'm 12 hours in and really enjoying it. Mechanically, it's possibly the best game in the Atelier series to date.
  • uiruki 28 Mar 2021 17:22:59 5,767 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I found the ultra quick loading great for things like offloading materials as well, it really does a good job of reducing the friction in the game loop and makes it less frustrating if you need to go to a specific area for ingredients to craft something.
  • Rogueywon 28 Mar 2021 22:07:26 11,357 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @uiruki Yeah, it's incredibly friction-free as JRPGs go. I also like that compared with other Atelier games, it lets you loose on a pretty full set of systems pretty quickly. No need to progress the plot for hours to unlock essential features.
  • Rogueywon 5 Apr 2021 16:03:06 11,357 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bloody hell, that Colossus Soldier boss in Atelier Ryza 2 is one hell of a difficulty spike. I actually had to... like... optimise gear and remind myself how the battle system actually worked to beat that one. Cheating!
  • uiruki 5 Apr 2021 16:25:36 5,767 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You usually get a few moments like that in an Atelier game, then you head back and fix stuff and then mess them up. Best part of the game for me.
  • Rogueywon 5 Apr 2021 16:37:19 11,357 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @uiruki Aye, on this occasion some super-high-quality dried biscuits for a 1CC heal and some upgraded ice-grenade thingies. Killed him on the second attempt, after taking the mother of all stompings on my first.
  • Rogueywon 7 Apr 2021 23:22:12 11,357 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh my word, you can really, really, really break the game in Atelier Ryza 2 once you work out the quirks of the crafting system. I'm not sure whether it's Disgaea-style breaking, where it's fully intended by the developers, or Baldur's Gate 2 Kensai/Mage breaking, which is unintended but awesome.

I approve.
  • RyanDS 7 Apr 2021 23:29:14 13,939 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    About to drop difficulty on Atelier Ryza.

Fuck that final boss, the difficulty spike is just stupid. I have been reading some guides but I don't really grok it. I think the game does a shit job of teaching you as up to now I have auto made stuff and never needed to learn systems properly in 50 hours of playing. I have just had fun trying to learn new recipes, never played with traits etc. And problem is I never needed to! I never struggled all game until the last boss who I get maybe 10% down.

Now to beat the boss apparently I need to learn all this. Incredibly poor game design. Shame as I was loving it up to now and just enjoyed a casual "nice" game.

To be clear I don't see issues with learning systems etc, but there should have been spikes throughout to incentive you, not 50 hours of gentle slope then suddenly you are at the base of k2.

Edited by RyanDS at 23:31:08 07-04-2021
  • Rogueywon 7 Apr 2021 23:33:08 11,357 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RyanDS The crafting system's not too bad. Can't remember the original too well, but in the sequel, you can just make a fresh set of gear by making all the raw materials (while bumping quality), then starting crafting on the absolute bottom-tier version of the weapon/armour you're after and following the upgrade path right the way along.

My party decked out with 999 quality weapons/armour is feeling pretty invincible right now.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.