The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 22

• PazJohnMitch 29 May 2021 16:33:47 17,153 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have never got into the Tales series. First I tried was Symphonia which was immediately after playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Loved SO and Symphonia just seemed inferior to it. Then tried a portable one, on either DS or 3DS and hated the lead with a passion.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 16:34:13 29-05-2021
  • Rogueywon 29 May 2021 16:36:47 12,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Most of the Tales games cling pretty close to the "plucky young boy and his companions go on a quest to save the world" JRPG trope, albeit some of them throw some twists at you later on. I've always treated them as "comfort blanket" JRPGs. I remember playing a couple of them back in the PS3 era while feeling like shit with heavy colds and they were great for that.

I like Berseria because it rips up so many of the series norms and goes instead for "blood soaked rampage of revenge".
  • Graxlar_v3 29 May 2021 17:41:35 11,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    The best Tales game is clearly Berseria. Though you probably need to play a few of the others first to understand just how many of their story tropes it breaks.
    Bears is good but there is not much depth to the combat… I found myself falling asleep playing it.
  • dominalien 29 May 2021 17:56:27 10,661 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am very grateful for all the input, though I don't feel I'm any closer to picking one. ;-)
  • Graxlar_v3 29 May 2021 17:59:16 11,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien wait for arise which is coming out this year
  • spookyxelectric 29 May 2021 18:39:23 593 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I almost suggested the same, but without playing it, it's hard to fully recommend.

I didn't care for Berseria or Symphonia, for example, so each title kind of appeals to different people.
  • dominalien 29 May 2021 18:47:14 10,661 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Aaargh!
  • Cappy 29 May 2021 19:06:45 14,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Choose the most affordable option, it's probably 50/50 odds that you'll lose interest and never even finish anyway, that's how it's been for every Tales game I've encountered.

They just drag on forever, stretching out the content that is there to the maximum extent with repetitive dungeons where you solve simple puzzles and fight the same enemies again and again and because it's an action RPG sometimes you just can't put them down fast like you can in a turn based RPG.
  • dominalien 29 May 2021 19:08:21 10,661 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had so much fun with Eternia, I was hoping I'd be able to have a repeat of that.

Maybe I just won't get any and not fail the pigwhip challenge while I'm at it.
  • Cappy 29 May 2021 19:50:05 14,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If you're picking up Tales games you'll be failing the challenge for certain, post 2000 they're all designed around a 40-60 hour minimum play time, you can easily double or triple that for side content which requires backtracking etc.

I opted for Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne like a few other people here, whilst I'm waiting for it to arrive in the post I'm sure new players will start running into the Matador boss fight, which will be fun.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 May 2021 20:39:42 4,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My SMT3 has arrived but going to play through World's End Club first.
  • Graxlar_v3 30 May 2021 08:33:21 11,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Played an hour or so of SMT3. I am a big fan of the persona series but never really got into the the SMT series. First hour is pretty interesting, though it does the P3 thing of turning you into a dot when you move areas.
    2 1/2 hours in a random encounter got 3 critical hits on me and I missed all my attacks… game over, lose nearly 2 hours. I don’t know if I have the patience for this bullshit anymore, give me a continue screen please.
  • PazJohnMitch 30 May 2021 08:36:02 17,153 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It was always a punishing game. My PS2 version was also buggy as hell so would often crash too. I can remember plotting a route through a dungeon trying to find the path least likely to cause it to crash.
  • Fonzie 30 May 2021 08:38:21 3,489 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I played SMT3 on PS2 and it took a few attempts to finish it. One of the most difficult RPGs I've played but enjoyed it.
  • Malek86 30 May 2021 09:06:48 12,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SMT3 suffered from its PS2 roots, they really could have added a few more save points in the remaster.

Strangely, the original Japanese version of the game was even more difficult. We kinda got the neutered one. Still for its time, when relatively easy games like Final Fantasy were the mainstream RPGs of choice, it would obviously be much more challenging. I found Strange Journey and SMT4 a whole lot harder, but people still point to SMT3 as some kind of apogee of difficult RPGs - perhaps by 2010 such games had become commonplace so nobody really cared anymore.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:08:06 30-05-2021
  • Cappy 30 May 2021 11:43:28 14,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    With releases of Shin Megami Tensei games being absent from Playstation consoles for nearly 20 years I think people just got used to the Persona games which were much easier and progressively got less and less difficult. I probably died once or twice in a run through Persona 5, though they did beef up some of the bosses a bit for Royal to correct this a bit.

Unfortunately you can't be so relaxed with battles in SMT 3 you've got to exploit buff and debuffs to their fullest extent because the margin for loss or victory is often so tight.
  • Graxlar_v3 31 May 2021 09:31:06 11,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone buying worlds end club? I am very tempted but not sure if I should. I also went back to SMT and It was more like 20 minutes lost so I am out of the hospital.
  • RyanDS 31 May 2021 10:58:32 14,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Anyone buying worlds end club? I am very tempted but not sure if I should. I also went back to SMT and It was more like 20 minutes lost so I am out of the hospital.
    I just did. The guys who did zero escape and danganronpa? That is a guaranteed day one purchase for me.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 May 2021 11:29:08 17,153 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I will most likely get World’s End Club. Probably not day 1 though.
  • addybV3 31 May 2021 11:37:40 363 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I notice it just had a big update on apple arcade. Is it the full game on there now?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 31 May 2021 13:28:13 4,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    My SMT3 has arrived but going to play through World's End Club first.
    I already mentioned it 2 days ago ;)

About 8 hours in and enjoying it so far. A few typos here and there and the odd strangely translated thing bit pretty good other than that. I bravely had a quick sampling of the English dub using the text log, it was truly awful, but we should all know in this thread that the original dub is the only one to use...

The gameplay segments for some reason remind me a bit of JJ Macfield the Missing... (or the demo I played of it anyway)
  • Nazo 31 May 2021 15:55:23 1,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I might get a month’s sub to Arcade at some point to finish off the story, especially with Fantasian being available now as well. I wouldn’t want to pay £40 for it on Switch though.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 31 May 2021 16:34:10 4,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I buy niche things like this and usually preorder Uchikoshi md Kodaka games so quiye happy for tye moeny to go to NISA instead of Apple :). It is the big budget AAA games that I usually wait for a sub £15 quid sale on.

But from what I have heard it plays fine on Apple Arcade so if you like that option, go for it.
  • Humperfunk 31 May 2021 21:38:58 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I have never got into the Tales series. First I tried was Symphonia which was immediately after playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.
    I think I played both of these back to back as well, albeit the other way round. I love both of them so much, have Til the End of Time to play again on PS4 at some point when I find the time :)
  • Humperfunk 31 May 2021 21:42:14 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I just did. The guys who did zero escape and danganronpa? That is a guaranteed day one purchase for me.
    Release date for this totally passed me by and noticed it just now before coming on EG. Ordered it so hopefully will get on Wednesday, I think I should have the first Famicom Detective Club game finished by then too so good timing!

Need to go back to SMT3, got into the Labyrinth for a good three hours before realising I could leave and save. Still not really into it as much as I had hoped, heard it has an amazing story but seems to be so sparse its almost non existent.
  • Humperfunk 14 Jun 2021 10:25:17 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK since the last message, I got very into SMT3, and have completed the labyrinth so just the last dungeon to go. I've even set up multiple saves throughout the game to try and go for all endings!

I'm waiting for one site to update a guide for it though, my enjoyment definitely increased when I started referring to one as its a proper old school dungeon crawler and I haven't got the time of patience for that anymore.

Phenomenal atmosphere with the game, have really enjoyed it. I've downloaded SMT4 on 3DS again to maybe have a go on down the line.
  • uiruki 14 Jun 2021 10:32:01 5,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    After 3, 4 is going to feel like you're playing in turbo mode.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Jun 2021 12:35:31 11,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gahhh…

This month is going to destroy my wallet/life 😢 -

Disgaea 6
    Neo: world ends with you
    Monster Hunter Stories 2
  • Nazo 14 Jun 2021 13:42:17 1,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You don’t have to buy them all at once, use the power of Pigwhip super failer Graxlar_v3
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Jun 2021 13:57:42 11,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    You don’t have to buy them all at once, use the power of Pigwhip super failer Graxlar_v3
    I don’t have too… you could argue that considering I have mon hun rise, SMT3 and worlds end club all sitting on 2-5 hours played I should consider finishing at lease one of them but all three of those games are in the top of my yes please lists.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.