The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 23

• Graxlar_v3 14 Jun 2021 13:57:42 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    You don’t have to buy them all at once, use the power of Pigwhip super failer Graxlar_v3
    I don’t have too… you could argue that considering I have mon hun rise, SMT3 and worlds end club all sitting on 2-5 hours played I should consider finishing at lease one of them but all three of those games are in the top of my yes please lists.
  • uiruki 14 Jun 2021 14:45:40 5,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'd definitely leave at least Disgaea for a bit as well, it's not worth full price IMO.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Jun 2021 17:05:40 4,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    While my backlog remains humungous at least the only Japanese games I am planning to get before Autumn are likely to be Cotton, NEO TWEWY, Legend of Mana and my Darius Cozmik Revelation (when it eventually arrives). My SMT3 and SAGA Frontier remain pretty much untouched though. I did finish World's End Club though. Really not been in much of a gaming mood. Did a bit more Kyoei Toshi too, although my rusty Japanese leaves me playing in small doses.

End of the year with SMT V is where it is at for me. Not sure about the next Tales so will wait for that one. I will likely grab the last Mary Skelter too. And Undernauts.

Nier Replicant is on my to buy list but not got around to it yet. Also curious if the 2D FF III remake will be any good as the only FF to not have a released 2D remake after the WSC version got cancelled and we ended up with the DS 3D version.

Oh, and Ace Attorney Victoriana editions... Just got to decide whether the Japanese collection is worth it as I own the DS originals of 1-3 or just import the US Great Ace Attorney games...
  • uiruki 14 Jun 2021 17:57:11 5,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Undernauts I really enjoyed as a kind of culmination of previous Experience titles. Looking forward to what comes next. I'm still no further in Mary Skelter though as it's just enough of a hassle maintaining three parties at the same time, and Galleria was so good it kind of made it obsolete, in a way.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Jun 2021 18:07:13 4,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    At least if we get Galleria it will be after MSF so we hopefully won't have that problem. I do however still need to properly play Coven (and the new Experience Inc doublepack...)
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Jun 2021 18:16:58 17,153 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have been playing Disgaea 5 again recently. Unlocked about 5 of the God tier weapons now. (All from the research overlords).

Still not unlocked the Land of Carnage yet but have unlocked a fight with Baal which seems ludicrously hard / impossible.

Think I have only one challenge to left to complete the LoC prerequisites. (Yes I did look them up). And that is complete a kill an item god challenge. (Particularly annoying as I recently killed one before unlocking the challenge).

Edit: Intention was kind of to stop me buying 6 just yet as I had heard bad things about the Switch version. (Probably from uiruki).

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 18:19:27 14-06-2021
  • uiruki 14 Jun 2021 18:36:14 5,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    In terms of how it runs, they improved the Switch one (check the demo) so it's reasonably steady at 30 but the issue is that because they completely changed the engine it's really light on content. They need another game to build it out.
  • Malek86 14 Jun 2021 19:17:33 12,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Before starting Yakuza 7 tonight, I have to know. Can I save between cutscenes or do I need three hours of free time between play sessions?
  • uiruki 14 Jun 2021 19:33:39 5,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    If you're on Series X and S then you have Quick Resume which I used throughout my playthrough on Xbox, and saving can be done at any time outside of a dungeon.
  • Malek86 14 Jun 2021 19:45:09 12,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As nice as Quick Resume is, I still find it a bit too moody to rely on in place of an actual save. Guess I'll start tonight and see when I can stop.

I'm on Series S, so I have to choose between 60fps and 1440p...
  • uiruki 14 Jun 2021 19:56:36 5,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The cutscene animation is fantastic at 60fps. Highly recommended.
  • Malek86 14 Jun 2021 20:24:23 12,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like the 60fps, but the picture is kinda noisy 900p. They must be using some kind of AA that doesn't really work, because it makes the screen wobbly even when I'm standing still.

It's a slow paced game with lots of details, so 30fps in higher quality would be fine for me. I'll try both and see how that goes.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:24:53 14-06-2021
  • Humperfunk 14 Jun 2021 21:15:59 8,623 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got all magatamas on SMT3 now and am three bosses away from the end I think.

Not sure if it's actually a Japanese game so apologies in advance, but seen Doki Doki Literature Club is coming to consoles 30th June...worth getting?
  • Malek86 14 Jun 2021 21:17:49 12,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yakuza does start pretty slowly, I must say.

I was expecting crazier things, but I guess they will come later.
  • Frogofdoom 14 Jun 2021 21:26:47 17,840 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh they come.

Like having a chicken on speed dial.
  • Malek86 15 Jun 2021 12:38:54 12,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm five hours in, and pretty invested in the story, but the battle system is not great (never been a fan of action commands in turn based battles).

Hope the game generally keeps the difficult low and doesn't throw too many obstacles at me later on. I'd hate to have to stop playing because of some bullshit boss. Doesn't seem like there's an easy mode I could enable in a pinch either.
  • robo-Dante 15 Jun 2021 12:44:30 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Okay then, I have a request of sorts. Could anyone recommend me a good visual novel, one that won't tire me right away. I've tried Clannad and although I like the story I can't bring myself to finish it.
  • Graxlar_v3 15 Jun 2021 12:45:02 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @robo-Dante Steins gate
  • Graxlar_v3 15 Jun 2021 13:00:06 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not sure how much I am liking worlds end club right now.. I am about 3 hours in, do the characters ever become likeable?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Jun 2021 13:06:08 4,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @robo-Dante Raging Loop, Death Mark or NG?

@Graxlar I would say they manage to grow as the story goes on. I enjoyed the game overall.
  • Malek86 15 Jun 2021 13:09:39 12,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @robo-Dante obviously 428 Shibuya Scramble
  • robo-Dante 15 Jun 2021 13:33:02 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx I have never heard of those, I'll check them out.
  • Graxlar_v3 15 Jun 2021 13:48:47 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx ta.. I will carry on them. I was at the yeti ‘fight’ and getting frustrated because of the control being a bit rubbish and kept getting game overs. Finally realised that holding the barrel blocked the low throws and it made it easy but the frustration was real for a minute.
  • Humperfunk 15 Jun 2021 22:34:50 8,623 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To echo the above, Steins Gate, 428 Shibuya Scramble and Raging Loop all absolutely fantastic. If I had to pick one, it would be Steins Gate but all three of those are so good.

Danganronpa too, albeit is that more interactive than a visual novel? Either way, I will be buying them again when they come out on Switch, adore them.

I managed to get the true demon ending and another ending today on SMT3, bosh! I think I can get another quite quickly tomorrow with how I've set my saves up, the last three will take some work though.
  • RyanDS 15 Jun 2021 22:40:36 14,041 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Not sure how much I am liking worlds end club right now.. I am about 3 hours in, do the characters ever become likeable?
    No. Or at least after a week of trying to play I still am not engaged. Very tedious.
  • RyanDS 15 Jun 2021 22:44:00 14,041 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Yakuza does start pretty slowly, I must say.

I was expecting crazier things, but I guess they will come later.
    When it clicks it clicks. I finished 3 today, in January I played kiwami for the first time. 5 months later I have finished kiwami, kiwami 2, zero and 3, and every one is 10/10.

My new favourite series of all time.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Jun 2021 23:53:45 4,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    To echo the above, Steins Gate, 428 Shibuya Scramble and Raging Loop all absolutely fantastic. If I had to pick one, it would be Steins Gate but all three of those are so good.

Danganronpa too, albeit is that more interactive than a visual novel? Either way, I will be buying them again when they come out on Switch, adore them.

I managed to get the true demon ending and another ending today on SMT3, bosh! I think I can get another quite quickly tomorrow with how I've set my saves up, the last three will take some work though.
    How did I forget to pimp 428? That one goes ahead the rest of my list. I like the Steins;Gate games but not necessarily the best choice for someone who complained about slow starts in Clannad (which I don't own so have never played).

Reminds me that I need to play through Robotics;Note DaSH at some point, but I don't have high hopes for it (I usually playthrough Sci;Advs as soon as I buy them and did so for RN:E but not DaSH)...
  • uiruki 16 Jun 2021 18:40:35 5,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Samurai Warriors 5 demo is out in Japan for PS4, Xbone and Switch. I think I'll be waiting on the PC version: for some reason they decided to just run it at 1080p literally pixel doubled to 4K, and then added a Bloodborne-strength chromatic aberration effect to hide it. It looks awful. The effect is gone on Switch but in return it also runs at about 20fps.

edit: on review, the Xbox version looks even worse, as a bunch of the pixels are randomly jittered. It genuinely looks like a glitch.

Edited by uiruki at 19:10:36 16-06-2021
  • spookyxelectric 16 Jun 2021 18:49:23 593 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    robo-Dante wrote:
    Okay then, I have a request of sorts. Could anyone recommend me a good visual novel, one that won't tire me right away. I've tried Clannad and although I like the story I can't bring myself to finish it.
    AI: The Somnium Files?
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Jun 2021 19:20:01 11,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    No. Or at least after a week of trying to play I still am not engaged. Very tedious.
    Got through ending 1… it hasn’t got much better, will just do the other areas and get the true ending but it’s not as good as danganrompa
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.