The General Purpose Japanese Games Thread! Page 24

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 16 Jun 2021 19:40:03 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It is nowhere near as good as Danganronpa or the Zero Escapes but it was just short enough not to outlive its welcome and managed to be free of "Mikan moments"... It made a change to play something a bit lighter too as I do tend to play darker games as a whole.

Speaking of I will likely end up repurchasing the trilogy on Switch if the physical is complete... A bit odd they missed out on UDG (which had a lot of story (surprisingly disturbing for a PEGI 16 too) to go with its less than stellar gameplay.
  • Humperfunk 16 Jun 2021 22:28:41 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I am 100% in for Danganronpa on Switch. I've played them quite a few times and just never get bored, atmosphere is unlike anything else I've played.

Got four out of six endings now on SMT3, super progress!

Currently trying to download Star Ocean First Departure on Switch but since the latest firmware, I can't download anything at all. Spent fifty quid on Mario Golf too so it better get fixed!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 17 Jun 2021 08:40:05 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I skipped the PS4 trilogy too so a much easier choice. SMT3is on the backlog as currently playing I and IV.

For the Switch downloading I hace found if you don't cancel a few times but leave the download window visible it will 'catch' after a few goes, then once it is going just keep the download window visible. Worked for me several times in the last week.
  • Humperfunk 19 Jun 2021 17:05:33 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks mate - I've tried that q few times (for about 30 minutes solid!) but still not working sadly. Really hope they patch that soon!

Just got the final ending on SMT3 so I have completed it as far as I'm concerned. Enjoyed it a lot in the end, won't be troubling any game of the year polls for me but I'm very glad I've played it. And as a huge Persona fan, seems apt to actually complete one of the mainline games!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 22 Jun 2021 10:23:09 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Shin Megami Tensei V gets a "Premium Edition" (as far as I know UK and European pre-orders have not opened) but instead of the t-shirt we get another stupid bag... I jist want the compendium artbook and the soundtrack is a nice bonus... I would have lived with t-shirt even if sizing is likely the impractical factor (I think the P4 US no-game LE one was one size only...). I blught the P5 CE but it is huge because of the bag, and I skipped the P5Royal as another large pointless object (the mask) and never found out how different the artbook was.

$119.99 US so probably 100 quid here which feels a bit much... And if the US selling out is a warning sign it may be hard to get (then again their Metroid Dread had problemsband it is still available here so you never know...). I skipped ab10% pre-order discount in hope the LE would ve decent...
  • Humperfunk 23 Jun 2021 14:39:01 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very much looking forward to V after playing the third one now. Am tempted to play IV (and think I mentioned before I downloaded it again very recently) but might get burnout if I do them so quickly.

Re: console, torn between starting Atelier Ryza or Ys XI. Played Ys VIII last Feb and loved it, but have had Ryza a while and think I might be more in the mood for turn based (which I believe it is), any opinions welcome!
  • Rogueywon 23 Jun 2021 14:42:55 12,244 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Humperfunk Ryza is semi-realtime. The games aren't that different in gameplay terms, so I'd say the question is whether you want a fairly traditional JRPG story (Ys) or a more laid-back game with a more laid-back setting (Ryza).
  • Cappy 23 Jun 2021 14:52:09 14,354 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    UK customs have been sitting on my copy of SMT III for over a week now. :(
  • Humperfunk 23 Jun 2021 15:03:14 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon nice one mate, thanks. I feel like after SMT3 I need a more laid back game so will go with the game I was leaning towards beforehand with Ryza! Cheers
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Jun 2021 18:20:05 11,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To the great disappointment of uiruki I am sure. I preordered Disgaea 6 today. The pull was too great.

Also, picked u scarlet nexus today cos it looks real good.
  • spookyxelectric 23 Jun 2021 18:50:46 593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ahh, that's not out yet, is it?
    But yeah, I'll be picking that up as well. I really liked the demo, and EasyAllies rated it an 8.0.
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Jun 2021 19:06:29 11,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    spookyxelectric wrote:
    Ahh, that's not out yet, is it?
    But yeah, I'll be picking that up as well. I really liked the demo, and EasyAllies rated it an 8.0.
    Scarlet nexus is out on Friday
  • uiruki 23 Jun 2021 19:10:27 5,920 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hey, Iím just warning you after paying full price for the Japanese version!

Scarlet Nexus seems to be a lock for me - and at 32 quid for the PC preorder on GMG thatís literally half the price of the PS5 version on Japan PSN. I can wait an extra day and give up some trigger gimmicks for that. If Code Vein is anything to go by it should be decent in ultra wide too.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 23 Jun 2021 19:18:49 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I have ordered most of the games I want for this year now bar a few imports (Blaster Master Trilogy and some Super Robot Wars games). Metroid and Lost Judgment (gone for the PS4 version as I don't plan to get a PS5 any time soon), Cotton Reboot, Raiden IV Mikado, Legend of Mana, Neo TWEWY and the Danganronpa pack. I put off the SMT V pre-order in hope of the physical but not sure if I should have just pre-ordered the standard when I had 10% off last weekend.

Tales of Arise is one I want to see reviews of, and the split format might favour the PS5 a lot more than Lost Judgment. Advance Wars looks fun (but ugly) but I have the original 4 games and Famicom Wars on the Famicom Online Switch app. I do wonder if the Deathsmiles pack will be decent and localised and a physical for Mushihimesama and the others for Switch would be cool even though I am behind on Shot Triggers hoping for an LRG release of Esp Ra De and Ketsui. I imagine the Cotton/Guardian Force pack will get localised too, likely by Inin Games.

Edit - and Mary Skelter Final when the LE goes up finally.

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 19:19:38 23-06-2021
  • uiruki 23 Jun 2021 19:25:23 5,920 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh yeah, Nayuta no Kiseki Kai came out. Aside from the 4k60 it's a very spartan port, without things like rebinding controls or turbo mode meaning you're holding that circle button through those Falcom long pans. Also confirm is X but interact is O which is infuriating.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 23 Jun 2021 19:42:51 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have long learned to deal with reversed X and O buttons on PlayStation as both my Vita and PS3 are Korean. Some games default to the machine's region button config, some to the game's. And then you get the ones (Yakuza series springs to mind) where you get western config in game but any system stuff like saving it switches...

I had wondered if the AO and Zero Kai's were going to get a surprise announcement but they didn't so Geofront it is.
  • spookyxelectric 23 Jun 2021 19:47:37 593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The worst case for me was Muramasa Rebirth on Vita. My Vita's Japanese, but the cart I purchased was American. XSEED or NIS or whomever localised it changed the in-game prompt to say "Press X to confirm," but the actual game is programmed to use the system default, so X backs out and O confirms. Does my head in every time I turn it on.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 23 Jun 2021 19:53:52 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ah yes, the wrong printed prompts issue, I forgot about that. Many a title screen I would go back instead of start... Muramasa likely being one of them as I have the US physical and UK Complete Edition digitally.
  • uiruki 23 Jun 2021 20:15:22 5,920 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Youíd have thought they would have handled it a bit more cleanly since thatís what all PS5s do, but like I said, itís a pretty spartan port.
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jun 2021 20:45:17 17,153 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    To the great disappointment of uiruki I am sure. I preordered Disgaea 6 today. The pull was too great.

Also, picked u scarlet nexus today cos it looks real good.
    Let me know what you think. Uiruki has currently put me off. (So much that I have finally unlocked the Land of Carnage on 5).
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 Jun 2021 11:10:07 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see the Epic Store has pre-empted NISA in announcing future Trails releases. Zero, Azure, Nayuta and Hajimari (Reverie) all confirmed for PC in 2022/2023. I am guessing console versions will be happening too. They do seem a long way off though and obviously put Kuro way behind on the schedule unless they consider that one the main priority and it sneaks out earlier,but likely 2023+. I think I will still Geofront Zero and Azure initially and play through the Cold Steels while waiting for the rest.
  • Malek86 24 Jun 2021 19:49:27 12,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Knights in the Nightmare, one of the best DS games, is coming back as a mobile and Switch port. Not sure if it will be localised. Other Sting port remained in Japan.

At least it will have touch controls, unlike the PSP port.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:49:41 24-06-2021
  • Cappy 24 Jun 2021 20:27:52 14,354 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wow. Low effort grifting to an exceptional degree. Fuck Sega and how they've worn the decayed corpse of Atlus as a skin suit.

Shin Megami Tensei III HD Remaster has awful low res FMVs straight out of the original version but you don't even get all the content from that version you originally owned, you have to buy the missing parts as DLC.

I've seen some shitty HD remasters, just like this one, but you always got more than one game, I didn't just get Sands of Time but also Warrior Within and Two Thrones. Sega offers just one game with heavily compressed audio just the same as the original PS2 version, they already have these audio files available at much better quality but they didn't use them because... ?

A sad, shameless cash grab that will probably never be available at a price that reflects the value it offers. With an effort of this standard I'd expect Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 thrown in.

Edited by Cappy at 21:07:52 24-06-2021
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 Jun 2021 22:19:37 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Knights in the Nightmare, one of the best DS games, is coming back as a mobile and Switch port. Not sure if it will be localised. Other Sting port remained in Japan.

At least it will have touch controls, unlike the PSP port.
    To be fair the PSP didn't have a touch screen ;) I still have the DS game of this on my giant backlog...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 Jun 2021 22:26:16 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Wow. Low effort grifting to an exceptional degree. Fuck Sega and how they've worn the decayed corpse of Atlus as a skin suit.

Shin Megami Tensei III HD Remaster has awful low res FMVs straight out of the original version but you don't even get all the content from that version you originally owned, you have to buy the missing parts as DLC.

I've seen some shitty HD remasters, just like this one, but you always got more than one game, I didn't just get Sands of Time but also Warrior Within and Two Thrones. Sega offers just one game with heavily compressed audio just the same as the original PS2 version, they already have these audio files available at much better quality but they didn't use them because... ?

A sad, shameless cash grab that will probably never be available at a price that reflects the value it offers. With an effort of this standard I'd expect Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 thrown in.
    Unless you have the PC version (where the Mainacs Chronicles content had to be separated due to China/SK releases and Steam IDs) you have the latest complete version. There were 3 PS2 releases, the base game (which the only the Pc has, but has Chronicles DLC for free to get around the Asia issue), the Maniacs edition (that we originally received with Dante and other stuff added) came next with a worldwide release, and finally there was the Maniacs Chronicles Edition (which replaced Dante with Raidou and was AFAIK only avilable in a Limited Edition bundle with the second Raidou game). Only the Dante/Maniacs is DLC (which I assume is to do with licensing costs for Dante).

FMVs is probalby the usual "lost the source" excuses lots of companies have, I was playing Psychonauts on PC the other day and the cutscenes on that are much lower quality than the in-game graphics now. I heard that the Audio issue is that there are higher quality versions of most tracks but not all and they preferred consistent (low quality) than mixed quality. The PC version may be moddable potentially but not sure if anyone has done it yet. Overall it isn't as well done as the Soul Hackers on 3DS release by a long stretch though.

I have yet to actualy play my Switch copy though...
  • Humperfunk 24 Jun 2021 22:44:33 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    I see the Epic Store has pre-empted NISA in announcing future Trails releases. Zero, Azure, Nayuta and Hajimari (Reverie) all confirmed for PC in 2022/2023. I am guessing console versions will be happening too. They do seem a long way off though and obviously put Kuro way behind on the schedule unless they consider that one the main priority and it sneaks out earlier,but likely 2023+. I think I will still Geofront Zero and Azure initially and play through the Cold Steels while waiting for the rest.
    Absolutely praying they announce these for PS4/PS5 or what not. Still really hoping the Trails in the Sky games come to console as I just can't bring myself to sit in front of my PC to play games, never have done and after the first twenty minutes of playing the first game a few months ago, I want to be on the sofa playing, not where I work!
  • Humperfunk 25 Jun 2021 09:26:03 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am I right in saying that the actual event was a couple of hours ago? I can't seem to find anything on what was officially announced etc!
  • uiruki 25 Jun 2021 09:37:10 5,920 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    PS4, Switch and PC, and they paid to use the Geofront translations as a base.

I'd forgotten that the Japanese release of Kuro was so close, September 30. It's been a long year since Hajimari came out last August.
  • Humperfunk 25 Jun 2021 10:28:46 8,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh wow, amazing for Geofront and a well deserved reward as I hear the translation is supposed to be really good!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Jun 2021 11:16:33 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nice to see Geofront being used as a base and getting paid but it does beg the question of why are the dates so far away for Crossbell as the PS4 and PC releases for Zero are ported already and NISA regularly releases Switch (and PC) later. Azure would need a new port or Joyo licencing but again the PS4 one is there.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.