Coronavirus Page 656

• TechnoHippy 30 Jun 2020 08:28:55 17,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I'm all for reduced meat production and a move to greener more organic processes but the problem here is China. SARS, H79N, Covid.

If as a country they could successfully implement a govt policy that limited reproduction and population growth they can absolutely change the sanitation levels of farming and in the markets.
    Swine Flu originated in the US. BSE in the UK. Maybe fucking with animals is a world wide problem?
  • elstoof 30 Jun 2020 08:29:43 25,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I'm all for reduced meat production and a move to greener more organic processes but the problem here is China. SARS, H79N, Covid.

If as a country they could successfully implement a govt policy that limited reproduction and population growth they can absolutely change the sanitation levels of farming and in the markets.
    I guess we’ve been lucky that the outbreaks so far have been viral, with the rampant antibiotic misuse in the farms there we'll probably all be fucked by some next level bacteria before the decade is over
  • elstoof 30 Jun 2020 08:43:09 25,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So what’s the thinking behind latex gloves? I see people wearing them then scratching their faces or fiddling with masks, there’s absolutely no benefit unless you’re changing the gloves immediately after you touch anything once, right?
  • alt-cmd-esc 30 Jun 2020 08:43:44 469 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Maybe fucking with animals is a world wide problem?
    Lockdown has made some people very desperate?
  • alt-cmd-esc 30 Jun 2020 08:43:45 469 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yay, double post \o/

Edited by alt-cmd-esc at 08:44:24 30-06-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Jun 2020 08:46:16 13,547 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    So what’s the thinking behind latex gloves? I see people wearing them then scratching their faces or fiddling with masks, there’s absolutely no benefit unless you’re changing the gloves immediately after you touch anything once, right?
    They’d make sense as single use items but like you say people are using them completely inappropriately
  • mothercruncher 30 Jun 2020 09:08:23 17,746 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Great in the bedroom though.
  • Load_2.0 30 Jun 2020 09:09:14 31,633 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Animals or gloves?
  • richardiox 30 Jun 2020 09:13:13 8,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This Leicester thing is weird, they're saying it has 3x cases of next nearest city and close to 1000 over the last fortnight.

But on all the NHS/GOV/ONS data for that time period it shows the same amount of new confirmed cases per day in Leicester (2 or 3) as where I live. Certainly nothing suggesting a spike. So how can the official reported data be so wildly different? Boggles my mind.
  • RGeefe 30 Jun 2020 09:23:11 985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Funnily enough all the places I used to go that saw fuck loads of people during the height of it are all quiet now.

Funny that.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 30 Jun 2020 09:35:10 32,463 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    But on all the NHS/GOV/ONS data for that time period it shows the same amount of new confirmed cases per day in Leicester (2 or 3) as where I live. Certainly nothing suggesting a spike. So how can the official reported data be so wildly different? Boggles my mind.
    NHS and the rest don't report tests funded by local authorities, so they aren't accurate. The actual numbers are a lot higher when you include those. Take those into account and there is a hefty spike in the area.

In Scotland we started adding them to the official figures a few weeks ago, but last time I checked England doesn't.

Edited by DFawkes at 09:35:36 30-06-2020
  • richardiox 30 Jun 2020 10:46:24 8,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DFawkes

So the figures we get every day are wildly inaccurate as they don't include community testing? Really hard to make informed decisions about your families safety when the data is presented in such an unclear way.

If cases are spiking in my city I'd want to be able to see for myself and take action accordingly.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 30 Jun 2020 11:15:36 32,463 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm afraid I'm not as up-to-date with the numbers England publish, but to the best of my knowledge at this time yeah, the Government published numbers aren't accurate. I'm not sure how far off they'll be though as I have no idea where those numbers get published.

I'm in a relatively quiet area of Scotland so when they started adding all tests, they just lumped them all in one week to catch up (week beginning 15/06) which made it look like there was a spike up to the mid 40s when the actual numbers for that week was in single figures. It meant 4.6% of tests hadn't been included in the numbers the Scottish Government published up to that point, but since they add them now they're mostly a lot easier to read and interpret.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jun 2020 11:49:30 23,706 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So... back in lockdown again. I had a test last week. And I'm fine, but the state government is trying to wall off whole parts of the city where new outbreaks have happened. And I work in one of those areas. :(
  • DangerM0use 30 Jun 2020 12:07:43 742 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Think I've missed it by a couple of streets!
  • sport 30 Jun 2020 12:09:10 15,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DangerM0use wrote:
    Think I've missed it by a couple of streets!
    You're COVID FREE!
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Jun 2020 12:24:32 23,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A bit more on the supply chain, I spoke to several suppliers yesterday and everything that comes out of China will have at least a month on top of previous timeliness. For example, it used to take 4 to 6 weeks and now it is possibly up to eight to ten weeks. This is not even necessarily including transport.

Added to that, container ships that are not full will not be fulfilled, so any order placed to be on that boat will get cancelled and placed on the ship after next, assuming that also doesn't get cancelled.

It seems to me that outsourcing production to China to use globalism to make small savings on unit price may be a thing of the past. At the very least it would seem that all items out of China will be heavily delayed.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:25:29 30-06-2020
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 30 Jun 2020 12:28:41 24,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fuck me Boris is looking a bit rough on the BBC news feed thing. Like a 3 day old corpse. He's starting to look like the bloated emperor from the prequels.

• askew 30 Jun 2020 12:32:14 21,430 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He should cut his hair, the fucking scrub. I'm sure Carrie can operate some clippers.
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Jun 2020 12:33:27 23,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    In all this covid business one has to calm the nerves and anxiety about other people somewhat, especially outside or in a well ventilated areas.

The anxiety is all-encompassing and is fairly deleterious to one health. Most people are going to be fine, I for one was expecting a huge spike after the protests and mass gatherings but that certainly doesn't appear to have happened so my deduction is that, for the most part, assuming you are not in close contact indoors for a prolonged period with a covid sufferer then one should likely not contract a viral load likely to be fatal.

/not a scientist

In regards of people in masks in the shop, so far it is a 40+ female thing, all the men don't seem to give a fuck although no one has broken social distance much.
  • captbirdseye 30 Jun 2020 12:42:04 9,629 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Decks All those press ups bro!
  • Dougs 30 Jun 2020 14:02:16 94,086 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    A bit more on the supply chain, I spoke to several suppliers yesterday and everything that comes out of China will have at least a month on top of previous timeliness. For example, it used to take 4 to 6 weeks and now it is possibly up to eight to ten weeks. This is not even necessarily including transport.

Added to that, container ships that are not full will not be fulfilled, so any order placed to be on that boat will get cancelled and placed on the ship after next, assuming that also doesn't get cancelled.

It seems to me that outsourcing production to China to use globalism to make small savings on unit price may be a thing of the past. At the very least it would seem that all items out of China will be heavily delayed.
    Indeed. I've been waiting for a sodding cantilever parasol for months because of this. Outrageous.
  • TheSaint 30 Jun 2020 16:12:44 19,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    @DFawkes

So the figures we get every day are wildly inaccurate as they don't include community testing? Really hard to make informed decisions about your families safety when the data is presented in such an unclear way.

If cases are spiking in my city I'd want to be able to see for myself and take action accordingly.
    Here is the full dataset with both testing environments:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1277960119611871234?s=20
  • beastmaster 30 Jun 2020 16:20:53 20,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    richardiox wrote:
    @DFawkes

Here is the full dataset with both testing environments:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1277960119611871234?s=20
    That's interesting as the Leicester Mayor was on LBC yesterday saying that he hadn't seen any data to support the lockdown.
  • TheSaint 30 Jun 2020 16:37:17 19,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Other tweets in that thread mention that the pillar 2 data is very hard to get hold of, even for mayors or MPs.

Edited by TheSaint at 16:37:28 30-06-2020
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Jun 2020 19:47:42 23,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:

On the point about meat production; this problem may be solved in due course by lab grown meat. Apparently it is coming along well and the price is starting to reduce.
  • Dougs 30 Jun 2020 21:45:11 94,086 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Other tweets in that thread mention that the pillar 2 data is very hard to get hold of, even for mayors or MPs.
    Which is absolutely infuriating
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Jun 2020 21:51:50 13,547 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gilead!

Of all the names the company could have

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug
  • smugla 30 Jun 2020 22:00:27 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Got a call from Enfield council that i have to pay my late fathers rent of £1400 . The council called me three weeks after my father passed to tell me that i had a they whould pay me £200 as a clear out thank you. I explained that i was shielding my mum and as her carer that it whould be hard to do . I also said it was against the law due to lockdown to do this the just said take your time.
    Three weeks later i found a company who whould clear the flat .they told me to leave the keys and paper work with the warden 8th of june .
    Now there asking full payment from the 9th of april till 21st june. My dad had no outstanding rent.they want rent until they got the keys.
    It took them three weeks to contact me another ten days to get the leter to explain what i had to do,they had the keys since the 8th june but due to them not recieveing the keys from the warden till the 21 the say i have to pay

Edited by smugla at 22:02:56 30-06-2020

Edited by smugla at 22:08:07 30-06-2020
  • Steve-Perry 30 Jun 2020 22:04:49 1,313 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @smugla threaten to write to your mp and local/national papers

If they keep fucking with you do it.

So out of order

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.