Coronavirus Page 657

• fontgeeksogood 30 Jun 2020 22:06:51 9,718 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Smugla

Read this. Sorry for your loss X

https://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2014/10/30/who-is-liable-for-a-deceased-tenants-rent-arrears/
  • Dougs 1 Jul 2020 07:01:42 94,086 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Gilead!

Of all the names the company could have

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug
    A taste of things to come. Very alarming
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jul 2020 07:32:35 13,547 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    About masks:

What you got?

Are you guys making or buying?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jul 2020 07:49:36 8,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood That does assume that there was no outstanding estate, though. If there was an estate - i.e. if Smugla inherited anything - then it may be more complex. This should be dealt with by the executor of the will, who is supposed to make sure that any debts are settled out of the value of the estate before beneficiaries are paid.

More information here: https://www.debtadvisorycentre.co.uk/blog/debt-from-your-parents-0-7875-0
  • Lukus 1 Jul 2020 08:05:57 23,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @fontgeeksogood That does assume that there was no outstanding estate, though. If there was an estate - i.e. if Smugla inherited anything - then it may be more complex. This should be dealt with by the executor of the will, who is supposed to make sure that any debts are settled out of the value of the estate before beneficiaries are paid.

More information here: https://www.debtadvisorycentre.co.uk/blog/debt-from-your-parents-0-7875-0
    Which is exactly what PES's article said.
  • smugla 1 Jul 2020 08:17:07 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My dad left about 5k most went on funeral cost and the rest was outstanding care home fees, i dont understand why i have to pay when it was under lockdown how was i ment to clear a flat. And why i have to pay for the two weeks they did not pick up the key from the warden.And having to pay the three weeks it took for them to contact me after i told them my father had passed then another ten days to recieve the paper work . Theres about £1k left that we wanted to use to take the ashes to Greece when its safe to do so
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jul 2020 08:43:36 8,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Lukus Not quite - the earlier link essentially advises on the assumption that there's no outstanding estate. In this case, judging by Smuggla's latest post, it seems there is £1k outstanding. The council may have a valid claim on that.
  • Lukus 1 Jul 2020 09:03:54 23,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't want to get into a semantics debate with you, but the first link made that perfectly clear.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jul 2020 09:24:21 8,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Lukus But the case in question isn't directly pertinent and the final paragraph could easily be taken as false reassurance.

I had to act as an executor a few years back and it was a total pain in the arse. Won't be doing that again in a hurry.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Jul 2020 09:33:00 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Going through the inheritance stuff at the moment and in the UK Government guidance it basically says pay debts first, then divide up the remainder of the estate between the people in the Will / Next of Kin. (Debts also apply to ongoing bills such as utilities, rent and mortgage. Where the estate becomes liable after death, up until the closure of a contract / property is sold).

In Smuglaís case I think he would be liable for the rent up until the keys left his possession. The council should not charge you for any loss of income due to them being slow to transfer the keys within their organisation.

My Mumís Nursing Home emptied her room the day after she died (week 2 of lockdown). So I had to collect everything from their carpark.

In my Mumís case all her bills are now paused and will be settled from the estate once I get the grant of probate which is taking me longer than I would like as identifying all my Mumís assets and debts has proved quite difficult.

I seem to be in the fortunate position where Mum had far more money than she knew about. (I think she forgot about at least 2 of her bank accounts). Although this does also mean she could have lived a far better life than the very frugal one she did.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 09:34:09 01-07-2020
  • nickthegun 1 Jul 2020 09:40:54 81,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I recently had that argument with my nan. For the last ten odd years shes been in 'this is the last time i'll do this' mode and has spent money on nothing because its a waste and she wants to save it all for us.

At 90, we basically had to force her to get a new washer, dryer and oven. 'Split between the grand kids, thats like £300 each. Im sure we would all be happy to pay that so you dont have to open the washer with a fork'.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:41:16 01-07-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jul 2020 09:44:25 8,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch That's probably right, though I can imagine it being difficult to get the council to accept the cut-off date. We had a hell of a fight when my grandmother died. They backed down eventually, but they absolutely tried to bully my mother into handing over money they weren't entitled to.
  • Dougs 1 Jul 2020 10:05:02 94,086 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @nickthegun Sounds very familiar
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jul 2020 12:25:30 13,547 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Statistical analysis of the Covid timeline in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08jh9j7

Essentially the response at every stage was too little too late costing tens of thousands of lives with the government issuing misleading and inaccurate statements throughout.
  • TheSaint 1 Jul 2020 12:46:30 19,577 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just listening to More or Less now, shame the series is ending as the information it has been bringing to light is so important.

Speaking of which Sky have published the list of areas 'at risk' of entering local lockdown:

Havering
    Wiltshire
    Wandsworth
    Gloucestershire
    Ealing
    Hammersmith and Fulham
    Doncaster
    Plymouth
    Barking and Dagenham
    Westminster
    Milton Keynes
    Wakefield
    Haringey
    Medway
    Hounslow
    Brent
    Harrow
    Kensington and Chelsea
    Slough
    Suffolk
    Redbridge
    Sandwell
    Enfield
    Tower Hamlets
    York
    Sunderland
    Wigan
    Windsor and Maidenhead
    Leicester
    Gateshead
    Isle of Wight
    Richmond upon Thames
    Portsmouth
    Redcar and Cleveland
    Derbyshire
    Walsall
  • askew 1 Jul 2020 12:48:42 21,430 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The whole of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire :lol:
  • sport 1 Jul 2020 12:53:24 15,997 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm in the clear but surrounded by infected boroughs. BUILD THE WALL!
  • TheSaint 1 Jul 2020 13:00:09 19,577 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I assume they have more specific postcode data that would be used rather than placing an entire county into lockdown. I guess we'll find out in a week or two when they've given it time to really get out of control.
  • grey_matters 1 Jul 2020 13:02:47 5,265 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Statistical analysis of the Covid timeline in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08jh9j7

Essentially the response at every stage was too little too late costing tens of thousands of lives with the government issuing misleading and inaccurate statements throughout.
    And all that was known and flagged at the time so using "hindsight is 20/20" as an excuse will just be more bullshit.
  • richardiox 1 Jul 2020 13:05:35 8,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If that list is anything like true it exposes what bullshit the "daily figures" are and the total lack of transparency of the situation at a local level. York for example has had very low numbers for weeks on end so why is it on the list?

The daily national stats (which is all we get) could paint good news in that "only 100 new positive cases yesterday" but what if they're all in one city? If the government are putting risk management on the public then how can we make judgements for our family if we don't have any kind of insight.

And it's not like the government don't have this data, they clearly do. That's how they knew to lockdown Leicester.

At this point the lack of transparency around our true case numbers is causing me anxiety... especially when you start considering what (fiscal) motives there would be to deliberately deceive the public en masse.

All the uncertainty is worrying and I kind of want to inject my own sense of certainty by coming up with a plan for my family and sticking to it for 6 months, regardless of what the statistics are saying. At least then I'll know what my next 6 months looks like.

Problem with that obviously being it would need my parents, sister, in laws etc all to abide by the same protocols (lockdown as fuck regardless of what HANDCOCK says) or else not see them...which isn't going to happen. Myself and wife are likely WFH til the new year anyway...so then just have to solve the moral dilemma of school/nursery for the kids.

Either way, surely each of our personal "new normals" has to be pretty distinct from life pre Covid otherwise we're destined to be trapped in a perpetual loop of uncertainty and anxiety.

Edited by richardiox at 13:06:12 01-07-2020

Edited by richardiox at 13:07:46 01-07-2020
  • nickthegun 1 Jul 2020 13:13:58 81,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Canít wait for someone to start running that list against Brexit voting.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Jul 2020 13:29:48 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @nickthegun

Ealing was one of the highest Remain areas in the country. And the other residents here seem to have taken lockdown about as seriously as Boris takes contraception.
  • Jono62 1 Jul 2020 13:47:29 25,062 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not surprised Barking and Dagenham is on that list. It's nasty.
  • beastmaster 1 Jul 2020 13:50:27 20,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No Manchester? Very surprised by this.
  • glo 1 Jul 2020 14:11:14 3,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Why the flying fuck are we opening up the pubs with that many areas on the verge of another serious outbreak? The last thing we need right now is any further relaxing of the lockdown.

Given the incubation period of covid, it seems pretty obvious that the last relaxation wasn't the best idea. Frankly we should be all going back into lockdown in the same way as leicester.
  • RichDC 1 Jul 2020 14:20:03 8,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @glo It's your patriotic duty. GET HAMMERED OR YOU'RE A TRAITOR!

Edited by RichDC at 14:20:18 01-07-2020
  • gamingdave 1 Jul 2020 14:20:21 4,981 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That list is just bonkers. I live in Islington, but if I come out my front door and turn right, I am in Haringey within a minute.

Not surprised Haringey is on the list, it's been as busy as normal round here for the last 4 weeks, hardly anyone wears a mask, and most people make fuck all effort to avoid others. But it's not like people 1/2 mile down the road are behaving differently.

And I would wager most people in one borough of London either shop or work in another regularly, and from Saturday, drink.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jul 2020 14:25:35 8,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Canít wait for someone to start running that list against Brexit voting.
    For what it's worth, because I get nerdy about this kind of thing (Leave-majority in bold, Remain-majority in italics):

Havering: Leave 69.7%
    Wiltshire: Leave 52.5%
    Wandsworth: Remain 75%
    Gloucestershire: Leave 52% average
    Ealing: Remain 60.4%
    Hammersmith and Fulham: Remain 70%
    Doncaster: Leave 69%
    Plymouth: Leave 59.9%
    Barking and Dagenham: Leave 62.4%
    Westminster: Remain 69%
    Milton Keynes: Leave 51.4%
    Wakefield: Leave 66.4%
    Haringey: Remain 75.6%
    Medway: Leave 64.1%
    Hounslow: Remain 51.1%
    Brent: Remain 59.7%
    Harrow Remain 54.6%
    Kensington and Chelsea: Remain 68.7%
    Slough: Leave 54.3%
    Suffolk: Leave 53% average
    Redbridge: Remain 54%
    Sandwell: Leave 66.7%
    Enfield: Remain 55.8%
    Tower Hamlets: Remain 67.5%
    York: Remain 58%
    Sunderland: Leave 61.3%
    Wigan: Leave 63.9%
    Windsor and Maidenhead: Remain 53.9%
    Leicester: Remain 51.9%
    Gateshead: Leave 56.8%
    Isle of Wight: Leave 61.9%
    Richmond upon Thames: Remain 69.3%
    Portsmouth: Leave 58.1%
    Redcar and Cleveland: Leave 66.2%
    Derbyshire: Leave 51% average
    Walsall: Leave 67.9%

Edited by Rogueywon at 14:26:02 01-07-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jul 2020 14:44:59 13,547 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    glo wrote:
    Why the flying fuck are we opening up the pubs with that many areas on the verge of another serious outbreak? The last thing we need right now is any further relaxing of the lockdown.

Given the incubation period of covid, it seems pretty obvious that the last relaxation wasn't the best idea. Frankly we should be all going back into lockdown in the same way as leicester.
    But if we reopen the pub Boris will be the PM who brought fun back for the summer!
  • RGeefe 1 Jul 2020 15:00:50 985 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reasonably even split there. Apparently the EU has no effect on whether you give a fuck about disease.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.