Coronavirus Page 726

• Load_2.0 30 Jul 2020 16:26:39 32,051 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sounds like a lot of hassle and expense to have people in the office.

I think the key benefits are the informal interaction and workplace comradery, remove that and there's no point being there.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Jul 2020 16:35:27 14,561 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Working from home and trying to condense a full working week into three interrupted days around Baby Maybe part of me would love a long quiet stretch in the office to actually finish some work for a change
  • AccidentProne 30 Jul 2020 16:46:56 1,377 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Our place has allowed a few in over the last couple of weeks on a voluntary basis, with the plan being to get us all back in the office through August. Thing is, with all the restrictions in place it seems completely pointless. We'll still have to do everything via Teams meetings, conference rooms are locked and we can't go chat at each others desks etc. I'm also not convinced we'll be able to space out 2m apart with everyone in.

We've been working from home just fine for the most part. I guess some don't have ideal setups, but if just those with issues were to come into the office, that'd be fine. Forcing us all in for no good reason is crazy. I've actually been happy to put in extra hours with no commute, but won't carry that on while I'm in the office.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jul 2020 17:23:45 20,679 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Sounds like a lot of hassle and expense to have people in the office.

I think the key benefits are the informal interaction and workplace comradery, remove that and there's no point being there.
    Exactly.
  • Tonka 30 Jul 2020 17:41:07 31,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm looking forward to not have to think of my living room as an office.
  • Drakesmoke 30 Jul 2020 18:11:21 631 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it not furlough fraud by an employer to use it to prop up wages whilst still having the employee work, albeit part time? I may be missing something here, but I'm pretty sure the furloughed post is not supposed to be actively working.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Jul 2020 18:32:11 9,298 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    Is it not furlough fraud by an employer to use it to prop up wages whilst still having the employee work, albeit part time? I may be missing something here, but I'm pretty sure the furloughed post is not supposed to be actively working.
    In the scheme's initial form, yes, it was fraud. But from 1 July, the terms of the scheme were changed to make this possible.

A charitable (very charitable) take on what Sharz's employer is trying to do is that it wants to keep down its running costs while income is thin on the ground, without making redundancies, as it expects demand to return later - and to need staff back full time at that point. If that's what they are doing, it's actually a perfectly legitimate strategy.

But even if that is what they're doing, they're being shit and dishonest about it. Using the "no home working" thing rather than just saying "we can only afford to take you back part time at the moment, until demand returns" is counter-productive, putting employees at unnecessary risk and possibly going to cost them some of their best staff (the ones who will be able to get a job elsewhere even in the current market).

Edited by Rogueywon at 18:33:23 30-07-2020
  • grey_matters 30 Jul 2020 18:50:10 5,314 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    85 new cases here today, after averaging around 20-30 for the last few weeks. Not good.
  • richardiox 30 Jul 2020 19:20:48 8,860 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    85 new cases here today, after averaging around 20-30 for the last few weeks. Not good.
    France, Poland and Italy have now also joined the "ahhh fuck our graph is going back up" club.

Think it's going to take a while to find that magic equilibrium in terms of what you can actually reopen whilst keeping a flat line of cases. Although really it's going to come down to individuals to be sensible and cautious and even then we have to work, shop, see family etc

Not to mention schools...all these spikes emerging just before schools start up isn't great. I'm almost resigned to the fact that my kid won't get a full first year in reception...if cases grow to what they we were in March I'm going to pull him out, fines be damned.

(Although I'm sure if we had the testing capacity we have now back in March the actual visible UK case rate would have been huge. As it stands, our graphs don't really reflect that reality.)
  • ZuluHero 30 Jul 2020 19:36:29 9,122 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    We're all staggered back over the next month as well. Funnily enough, the temperature being check on entry is one of our stipulations as well, so there must be some govern'mental' guidelines passed to businesses to follow.

A lot of people aren't happy about it though, mostly those with kids who are faced with the prospect of summer holidays and working around the children.
  • sport 30 Jul 2020 19:56:21 16,262 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Loving this age chat - I no longer feel old (33 here)!
    Dammit. 34 :/

Saying that, these old fuckers were probably our age when I started posting here at about ~18. I was practically jailbait.
    I remember pouncing on Tomo in dark alley behind Mercy Hospital.

#JustLeft4DeadThings
  • SolidSCB 30 Jul 2020 20:17:43 13,052 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had to do a temperature check the few times I've been back in. Obviously with no guide as to what temperature they deem unsafe, nor what the protocol is if I then take matter into my own hands and think it's too high or whatever.

All for show.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 30 Jul 2020 20:24:37 26,303 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the temperature thing is a complete waste of time given how many people are asymptomatic.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jul 2020 20:27:48 20,679 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But SCIENCE, guys.
  • Knighty 30 Jul 2020 21:55:41 1,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So Matt Hancock with the following comment re Manchester and other areas being locked down further:

alth Secretary Matt Hancock said an "increasing rate of transmission" had been identified in those areas.
    "The spread is largely due to households meeting and not abiding to social distancing," he said.

Nothing to do Matt with guilting people back into offices recently? Even when theyíve worked from home fine for the last 3 months? All down to the proles. Go out, spend your money, donít you fucking dare try having people around your house without spending bunce though.

Iíd love to know how theyíve come to the conclusion itís people primarily meeting up in their households.
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Jul 2020 22:00:35 10,545 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, all the houses belong t'mill
  • Carlo 30 Jul 2020 22:06:43 21,374 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I've had to do a temperature check the few times I've been back in. Obviously with no guide as to what temperature they deem unsafe, nor what the protocol is if I then take matter into my own hands and think it's too high or whatever.

All for show.
    It's just an excuse to put a probe up your bum, isn't it.
  • TheSaint 30 Jul 2020 22:07:38 19,866 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím sure itís no coincidence that we are about three weeks since the pubs reopened.

They are never going to admit that was a terrible idea though.
  • richardiox 30 Jul 2020 22:29:02 8,860 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Iím sure itís no coincidence that we are about three weeks since the pubs reopened.

It sounds like the outbreaks are primarily in South Asian communities so not sure how much a role pubs opening had with regard to the lockdown measures announced tonight. Also the the fact they rushed the announcement tonight with it being Eid tomorrow suggests that there may be a specific issue within Asian communities.

That's not to say that pubs won't have had a negative affect but I think we can differentiate between cases, clusters and full on outbreaks (Leicester, Oldham, Bradford, Blackburn, Luton) that require government imposed lockdown intervention.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jul 2020 22:33:17 20,679 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

Yeah, but SUPER SATURDAY guys. SUPER SATURDAY!!!!!!
  • beastmaster 30 Jul 2020 23:32:38 21,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Be another full lockdown around the country soon. Not surprised Manchester is seeing spikes.
  • beastmaster 30 Jul 2020 23:59:48 21,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MMA guy.

ďOur baby is due any day now. All friends and family are going to be more than welcome to come over and see us and our new arrival.

NO social distancing allowedĒ.

Cue lots of congratulations comments followed by apologies and catch up soon comments.
  • Wavey 31 Jul 2020 00:11:56 1,036 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Its just going to be a vicious cycle until we have a vaccine. I'm in Calderdale and my social media and work group chat are all saying they will ignore it, fuck the government, etc. Not sure how its all going to pan out. Obviously hope for the best but its not looking great.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Jul 2020 00:28:21 14,561 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If I were going to disobey the government right now it would be to isolate further and be over cautious not book in the lash
  • Anthony_UK 31 Jul 2020 01:43:19 3,034 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So damn cowardly of the government to announce this late at night, initially even via Twitter from what I've just read.

They must have known this announcement was coming for days, but instead of a news conference they sneak it out late on the eve of Eid to avoid questioning. They're an absolute disgrace.
  • X201 31 Jul 2020 06:14:16 20,710 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím sure itís pure coincidence that itís also knocked the sexual assault conviction of a former Tory MP off the front pages
  • Dougs 31 Jul 2020 07:18:19 95,318 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I have family visiting this weekend and am very concerned that because it's a rarity (they live abroad and are only back once a year) there will be expectations of no social distancing, hugs for the grandparents etc. I will be livid if they allow that to happen, given we've stopped my kids getting close to them to protect them etc.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Jul 2020 07:31:53 14,561 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    So damn cowardly of the government to announce this late at night, initially even via Twitter from what I've just read.

They must have known this announcement was coming for days, but instead of a news conference they sneak it out late on the eve of Eid to avoid questioning. They're an absolute disgrace.
    Theyíre either cruel or incompetent but I suspect itís both
  • IRWATWO 31 Jul 2020 08:20:36 757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I'm supposed to be viewing houses to buy in Manchester this weekend. FFS. Anyone ever bought a house by just looking at the pictures?
  • Drakesmoke 31 Jul 2020 08:20:55 631 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    With the GM lockdown the real travesty is that it includes gardens.

So I can meet in a park with my parents or sister around crowds of other people who may be infected but can't sit at arms length in our own outdoor space.

So I can go to the pub (surely the least safe place outside of the office) but can't meet two people relatively safely and sit on my own decking.

Is it to try and force people to go to the pub? My in laws will never go to the pub as it is.

Personally I think it's to snidily target the Muslim community for Eid by stealth and may be altered slightly next week.

Given the rises locally I'd actually support a no INDOOR meeting rule but the garden bit is a slide into idiocy particularly when combined with apparently trying to emotionally blackmail me into the Frog and Bucket, or force me into a potentially even more dangerous office via public transport.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.