Following Coronavirus Page 727

• Drakesmoke 31 Jul 2020 08:22:48 598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We've just had a joiner replace all our internal doors on another note. The in laws have as a result booked the same guy in and paid a load of money to get the doors. Will there be an exemption for work done in your house?

Edited for punctuation

Edited by Drakesmoke at 08:46:56 31-07-2020
  • quadfather 31 Jul 2020 08:41:16 36,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    With the GM lockdown the real travesty is that it includes gardens.

So I can meet in a park with my parents or sister around crowds of other people who may be infected but can't sit at arms length in our own outdoor space.

So I can go to the pub (surely the least safe place outside of the office) but can't meet two people relatively safely and sit on my own decking.

Is it to try and force people to go to the pub? My in laws will never go to the pub as it is.

Personally I think it's to snidily target the Muslim community for Eid by stealth and may be altered slightly next week.

Given the rises locally I'd actually support a no INDOOR meeting rule but the garden bit is a slide into idiocy particularly when combined with apparently trying to emotionally blackmail me into the Frog and Bucket, or force me into a potentially even more dangerous office via public transport.
    Pretty much the same thoughts I've had this morning. I'm in the the gtr Manchester region.
  • TheSaint 31 Jul 2020 09:09:27 19,694 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm intrigued by how they know where people are getting infected (as in a lack of social distancing when meeting others at their home).

Is this something that is asked when you get a test?
  • beastmaster 31 Jul 2020 09:11:24 20,912 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maybe. But whoís going to say I was at an illegal rave, on the beach or at a protest?
  • TheSaint 31 Jul 2020 09:20:56 19,694 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Do you actually think this increase is due to people going to the beach and protests? Neither activity led to a spike back in May when they were both all over the news.

The government just want to shift the blame on to the public and away from their rushed easing of the lockdown and delay in requiring face masks.
  • Drakesmoke 31 Jul 2020 09:28:14 598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I do get the feeling from living here that there is a large compliance problem in the north west. The major local paper's FB feed has been packed with fucking frothing anti masker comments and similar for fucking years it feels like. I grew up with the myth that the NW was this magical personable place with the best people and this has really thrown that notion into stark relief tbh.
  • General_Martok 31 Jul 2020 09:32:32 1,278 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I'm intrigued by how they know where people are getting infected (as in a lack of social distancing when meeting others at their home).

Is this something that is asked when you get a test?
    Hancock said its from track and trace data. People are saying they've basically caught it inside people's houses.
  • TheSaint 31 Jul 2020 09:41:28 19,694 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I was just reading a transcript of his interview this morning. He seems to be suggesting that most of the contacts people give when contacted by test and trace are their friends and family rather than people from shops, restaurants and pubs. So from that, they are concluding that people are catching it through meets at houses.

Surely that's to be expected though. I could easily tell you every friend/family member I've seen this week but I'm not going to be able to tell you the names of anyone in the coffee shop or post office.

Seeing his words written down doesn't inspire much confidence:

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1289110476505448448?s=20
  • Dougs 31 Jul 2020 09:42:45 94,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

Theyíre either cruel or incompetent but I suspect itís both
    Cock-up over conspiracy is more likely. I expect the delays were because it takes eons to get anything cleared these days
  • richardiox 31 Jul 2020 10:03:03 8,702 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Conspiracy theories aside, if you look at the public health data for those areas there's been a big spike in cases over the last fortnight. The spikes are specifically in areas with a high population of South Asian communities. And it's Eid today.

So the government was 100% right to implement measures to try to slow the spread. Announcing them at 10pm the night before was stupid and reeks of their usual knee jerk planning.

Read afew comments on forums today saying the measures are racist for targeting specific communities and I have to disagree. When the government didn't do lockdowns early enough in March we gave them shit. Now they're trying to pro active and we're still giving them shit.

The reality is that CV cases are spiking in predominantly Asian areas in the Midlands and north. The areas with the most cases in the UK are the areas with some of the largest Asian populations.

As there's also a higher rate of deaths and health complications from Covid in those communities so I am glad the government is taking action - just wish it was better thought through.

The real fuck up would be seeing a spike in cases, knowing Eid would lead to big family gatherings and yet not taking any action.

Edited by richardiox at 10:04:21 31-07-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Jul 2020 10:15:39 13,966 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thereís been reports of problems with the public health messaging from government to those communities throughout the pandemic. Probably the government just never considered tailoring itís message to be effective - itís barely been coherent in its original delivery.

Plus youíve got the general socio-economic issues which mean members of minority communities are more like to work the kinds of jobs that make you more vulnerable.

And thereís been some evidence that POC are at higher risk should they catch the virus.

The additional measures probably do make sense but theyíve been handled dreadfully.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Jul 2020 10:17:15 13,966 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think weíre in for months or longer of this sort of panicked response and on/off regional lockdowns

Eventually thereíll have to be a coherent strategy for it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Jul 2020 10:18:38 13,966 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Itís weird since lockdown hasnít ended for me, my workplace or most of my friends so the news of everything being basically back to normal apart from exceptions like Leicester and Manchester almost feels like news from another country
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 31 Jul 2020 10:20:17 25,598 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is the strategy. Monitor for outbreaks and then lockdown local areas. I've been hugely critical of the handling of this so far but they're doing the right thing here imo. I can't see any other way of dealing with it in the short term. Admittedly the announcement was terribly handled but at least they seemed fairly quick to take action, something that has been the problem from day one.
  • RGeefe 31 Jul 2020 10:22:17 1,082 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am JUST outside of the lockdown zone. As far as I can tell the ring of death ends about two miles away.

This is definitely around Eid and SE Asian communities. I have lived in both Leicester and Manc - can report they have very similar ethnic make up. I've not been into the city centre much in the last few months but, of the times I have, the centre itself is fairly dead.

Suburbs on another hand - busy as fuck. Even my area has pubs open like normal. Sure they have an entrance and exit as separate doors but I have 5 pubs 2 mins walk from me. It varies between STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME and do as you please.
  • oldskooldeano 31 Jul 2020 10:24:06 3,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Itís weird since lockdown hasnít ended for me, my workplace or most of my friends so the news of everything being basically back to normal apart from exceptions like Leicester and Manchester almost feels like news from another country
    I think this the experience of many of us. If you are aware of the continuing risks and are not an idiot, then lockdown, and distancing protocols continue. It's starting to sort the wheat from the chaff. It's just a shame that the ignorance and arrogance of the great unwashed can impinge upon the safety of others.
  • RichDC 31 Jul 2020 10:27:27 8,876 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Five hours with a mask on for a train journey up to Edinburgh. This is going to be fun.

And across the isle is some obese creature out of breath from the strenuous activity of sitting down who clearly feels they're exempt. Makes a mockery of it all.
  • Zomoniac 31 Jul 2020 10:31:31 10,232 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As a Bradfordian (can't speak for other areas) there's definitely truth to the stereotype that South Asian families often live with three or four generations, spouses and all, together in one house. It's not by coincidence that the main Asian populations are in the areas of huge Victorian terraces that can comfortably accommodate such families.

If I get infected then the only person likely to get it passed on to is my wife (and apparently my cats if recent news is anything to go by). If a member of one of the Asian households in the Horton area gets it then it's entirely possible they could transmit to a further 12 people without even going outside, so it seems perfectly logical that the spread in those communities could be far greater even if the behaviour of its population is exactly the same.
  • richardiox 31 Jul 2020 10:42:11 8,702 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Zomoniac

In addition to homes often being multi-generational, quite often Asian families will live on the same streets so the extended family is close by.

So you get a situation whereby if one person gets infected (already increased risk due to lower income area, public facing jobs etc) then it will spread within that household and the quickly throughout the community. I think this is what Hand Cock was implying. Jenny Harries even said early on that by far the biggest source of transmission is within homes.

Then factor in the religious element whereby a higher number will actively worship in communal places (unlike us godless fucks) and with Eid today and you have a perfect storm.

Surely it's no coincidence that over the last month (since local data started being released) there's an emerging sven diagram of the cities with the highest south asian populations also being the cities with the highest infection rates in the UK by a large margin. It's something I noticed from the off - Leicester, Bradford, Blackburn, Oldham, Burnley etc all have high Asian populations due to the textiles industries which many immigrated here to work in. If you took those new case spikes away then our new cases wouldn't be spiking to the same extent. It doesn't make sense that pubs are to blame in this instance.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 10:46:10 15,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As a fat person who has spent entire days doing strenuous activities in a half mask respirator I have no idea how people genuinely find a mask restrictive.

Once I realised the change in my breathing was purely anxiety, I was fine.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Jul 2020 10:58:42 13,966 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Without pre-existing medical or mental health issues then a mask is at worst inconvenient but (as a glasses wearer) itís hardly even that.

I do wonder if being really into punk, metal, sci-fi, wrestling, video games and a supporter of lots of radical protests Iím slightly more predisposed to think masks are alright because there are so many bad ass mask wearers and images of mask wearers from all of those
  • Drakesmoke 31 Jul 2020 11:05:12 598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    As a fat person who has spent entire days doing strenuous activities in a half mask respirator I have no idea how people genuinely find a mask restrictive.

Once I realised the change in my breathing was purely anxiety, I was fine.
    It's often the same types claiming anxiety as their reason for not masking that would venomously label others as 'snowflakes', ironically. And I say that as someone who has been affected badly by anxiety at times in my life. I've no doubt a lot of these types don't have anxiety and in fact have a problem being told what to do instead.

As a glasses wearer I did find the steaming up of the lenses a bit claustrophobic. I then got one of those British Mask Company ones half of the forum seems to have ordered, it's bigger and enables me to put the rim of my glasses over it. That's sorted it.

I can see how it could make you stressed out as an anxiety sufferer, and that there will be genuine cases. I just think many people are now claiming to have stuff like that when they don't, because arse holes.

I do think we'd be a lot better off without FB. It's what breeds these 'scamdemic' types, along with all the racial hatred/anti-pride types and all before that.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 11:10:04 15,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Drakesmoke

If your glasses steam up when wearing a mask it means that the mask is not fitted properly and there is a gap at the base of your nose.

Squeeze the mask down from the bridge and across your cheeks. Then place your glasses on top of the mask. This means the glasses do not fit quite right but they will no longer steam up.

(I wear glasses and donít have steam up issues from wearing a mask).
  • Technoishmatt 31 Jul 2020 11:11:53 4,274 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    Five hours with a mask on for a train journey up to Edinburgh. This is going to be fun.

And across the isle is some obese creature out of breath from the strenuous activity of sitting down who clearly feels they're exempt. Makes a mockery of it all.
    Should get the sleeper, get your own room!
  • Drakesmoke 31 Jul 2020 11:13:22 598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @Drakesmoke

If your glasses steam up when wearing a mask it means that the mask is not fitted properly and there is a gap at the base of your nose.

Squeeze the mask down from the bridge and across your cheeks. Then place your glasses on top of the mask. This means the glasses do not fit quite right but they will no longer steam up.

Cheers, this is largely what I now do, I'm a weird beardy and think that hurts the seal a bit.
  • quadfather 31 Jul 2020 11:22:55 36,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty ingenious how they've got the leisure centres open in Leicester - It says that they can stay open.

Things that can't stay open -

Leisure centres.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 11:26:01 15,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @Drakesmoke

Cheers, this is largely what I now do, I'm a weird beardy and think that hurts the seal a bit.
    Yeah masks work better when you are clean shaven. (Also stubble is often worse than a full beard when it comes to breaking the seal).
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2020 11:30:14 67,168 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Woof, mask completely off here.

As stricter lockdown rules are announced for parts of northern England, Conservative MP Craig Whittaker told LBC: "It is the BAME communities that are not taking this seriously enough."
    https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1289104710008475648
  • sport 31 Jul 2020 11:33:20 16,107 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Woof, mask completely off here.

As stricter lockdown rules are announced for parts of northern England, Conservative MP Craig Whittaker told LBC: "It is the BAME communities that are not taking this seriously enough."
    https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1289104710008475648
    All I'm saying is that I've never seen Shamina Begum with a mask on.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Jul 2020 11:41:16 13,966 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Pretty ingenious how they've got the leisure centres open in Leicester - It says that they can stay open.

Things that can't stay open -

Leisure centres.
    Newcastle City Baths have issued guidance saying that you have to book an hour slot, if you donít turn up in the first ten minutes you lose your slot, also changing rooms will not be open so you must arrive gym or swim ready

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.