Coronavirus Page 745

• Not-a-reviewer 10 Aug 2020 07:58:17 6,447 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím due to have a graduate start for me in a few months. Currently no idea how heís going to know how to do anything or keep an eye on him properly for the initial few months.

My one positive is our company generally takes grads on then tells them to write all the processes, something that none have ever managed to do and is a waste of everyoneís time at this stage.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2020 08:56:31 9,298 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The new starters thing is a bit tricky. I had one join my team a couple of weeks back and although he's up to speed on the job just fine (he had plenty of relevant experience), I'm very much conscious he still doesn't feel part of the team.

Assuming no changes to lockdown rules, we'll probably move back towards a slightly bigger presence in the office (albeit still pretty minimal) in late September. I may go back to doing 1-2 days per week in the office at that point and we'll give a degree of priority to new starters. But I wouldn't have wanted to start a new job myself during all this.

Some groups who've worked out they all live in the same parts of suburbia have taken to organising team meals in suburban restaurants, on Mon-Weds to take advantage of the discount thing. Not 100% sure how I feel about that, though need to make my mind up as I've been invited to one next week. Should probably go, as the restaurant's in walking distance for me.
  • Frogofdoom 10 Aug 2020 09:03:42 16,875 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you aren't comfortable with it then don't go would be my take.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2020 09:06:53 9,298 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Frogofdoom I think I probably am comfortable by this point. Had that meal out with the parents back in July and it was sort-of ok. From everything I've been able to see, local infection rates here are pretty low. It's certainly better than traipsing into Zone 1.
  • Frogofdoom 10 Aug 2020 09:20:25 16,875 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm still not doing restaurants, I'm at the stage where I'm supporting them by ordering food and collecting or having it delivered. Plenty of others seem to be OK with it down here though as some of them seem really busy
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Aug 2020 09:23:56 14,561 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Weíre doing hardly anything. I like that idea of being more adventurous but I donít really trust everyone around here to be equally cautious. Although thinking about it feeling like the last household on lockdown is probably a big contributor to the rotten downer mood Iíve been in the last week or two
  • TheSaint 10 Aug 2020 09:33:55 19,866 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is probably as good as it is going to get for awhile so I would try and make the most of it to some extent. Weíve come up to Scotland for the week and just getting away from home for a bit has made a massive difference.
  • Dougs 10 Aug 2020 09:45:05 95,318 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Weíre doing hardly anything. I like that idea of being more adventurous but I donít really trust everyone around here to be equally cautious. Although thinking about it feeling like the last household on lockdown is probably a big contributor to the rotten downer mood Iíve been in the last week or two
    Yeah, much the same here. We are doing outside stuff and have managed BBQs etc with small groups to maintain distance but I'm not going inside anywhere.
  • THFourteen 10 Aug 2020 10:04:47 53,839 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We are off to Lyme Regis for 5 days for a change of scenery. If the beach is too busy we can bum around the Airbnb, itíll still be fun for the kids compared to being stuck at home.

Went to pizza express last week and also got a kfc takeaway the previous week. Both were fine. Infection rates are low in our area for now.

I do have a rancid cold which I am sure I caught at the fucking dentist on Wednesday the dirty so and soís.
  • Jono62 10 Aug 2020 10:05:19 25,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Went to a lavender farm in Banstead yesterday. Loads of people around and there were maybe only 3 or 4 people out of about 200 who were wearing masks, not including the staff as they were all wearing masks. Good job, people.
  • arty 10 Aug 2020 10:08:15 748 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't believe people are going on holiday during a pandemic. My mind is blown.
  • rockavitch 10 Aug 2020 10:15:45 1,213 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been working throughout the whole thing, out to different sites 5 days a week. It all feels very normal to me now. I'm still cautious of course but Covid doesn't really cross my mind as the preparation for cleaning, masks, gloves etc, it's all just become routine.

It's a good thing in that I'm not full of worry and don't feel too "affected" by the whole thing, doing my mind a world of good.

Saying that I was houseridden for around 2 years back in my late teens so I get how being stuck indoors can have a nasty affect on a lot of people, especially mentally.

No idea what I'm really trying to say here but being able to just get on with it has helped me immensely so if you are able to do a bit of it and get out and about, if it's safe and you feel up to it, then you probably should take advantage of it because another lockdown is likely going to happen and without a bit of a break in between you will only feel worse. Again I stress only if you feel ok with it, but it will help you mentally Inthe long run to get a bit of a break if you have the chance.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Aug 2020 10:21:17 16,182 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    arty wrote:
    I can't believe people are going on holiday during a pandemic. My mind is blown.
    Same
  • glo 10 Aug 2020 10:30:07 3,698 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I did briefly consider a break away from the madding crowds (if that's even possible at the moment), maybe in the remoter parts of the highlands or northumberland. However, after thinking about it I came to the same conclusion as arty and pazjonmitch that holidaying in the middle of a pandemic seems crazy.

I understand that for some people, especially those living in cramped accommodation, a break may be good for their mental health but it just seems like the wrong thing to be doing given the levels of infection here in the UK.
  • beastmaster 10 Aug 2020 10:36:55 21,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stayed indoors this weekend. I get out for a drink or meal approx every two weeks.

Keep seeing Facebook posts of people away on holiday, having an amazing time and Iím wondering if I should be doing the same. It all seems rather wonderful out there...until it isnít.

Got plenty to keep me busy and itís not too bad. In fact, Iíve been messing around with Final Cut Pro and have become somewhat obsessed with it. Having a great time with that.

However...zero (and I mean zero!) motivation work wise. Not sure if Iíd have more in the office either to be honest.

Sure Iíll get out again soon. Effectively stopped boozing and Iím losing weight at a constant steady pace. Which also makes it easier to stay indoors and not go to the pub.
  • THFourteen 10 Aug 2020 12:47:47 53,839 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Jono62

Was that mayfield?

About 5 minutes drive from my parents house where I spent my later teenage years. Been there a lot!
  • Jono62 10 Aug 2020 13:10:13 25,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen Yeah, that's the place. It was nice, apart from all the people thinking they are models taking silly pictures.
  • Trowel 10 Aug 2020 15:12:51 23,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Our world beating national test and trace approach is being binned off (watered down slowly).

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1292815005616943105

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-test-and-trace-service-to-strengthen-regional-contact-tracing

Edited by Trowel at 15:17:33 10-08-2020
  • souvlaki 10 Aug 2020 15:18:57 1,061 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Has this been posted yet?
  • drhickman1983 10 Aug 2020 15:19:48 6,992 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've not really been anywhere.

Never really been a pub person, except for going for a quick drink alone after work or on a weekend morning. It's just a nice way to relax and get away from people - living in a shared house means it's hard to really get proper alone time.

Of course, my housemates are still fucking off to the pub or seeing people, so in some ways I'm not sure why I'm bothering avoiding it all.

I'd like to visit my dad for a bit, but I'd like to isolate for a couple of weeks before I go to make sure I don't bring the virus with me, but that's basically impossible.
  • richardiox 10 Aug 2020 15:24:34 8,860 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Our world beating national test and trace approach is being binned off (watered down slowly).

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1292815005616943105

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-test-and-trace-service-to-strengthen-regional-contact-tracing
    At least we're learning and adapting when something clearly isn't working. First the App and now the T&T system.

It's just a shame we have to go through the whole charade of not listening to the experts, writing cheques to the private sector before eventually coming back around to go with the experts opinion and seeking public sector help in making it work... because they're already paid and trained professionals with links to local communities and not some zero hour Serco bods sat in a call centre fingering their pussies.

Being positive, I guess we're only 6 months in to something that will be a problem for years and I'm still hopeful by the Spring we'll have something approaching a coherent and effective government approach - in spite of the actual Tory party. The problem will remain to be the idiot public but that is what it is.

And I'm still convinced my approach of being over cautious for my family and me for the first 12 months whilst these "kinks" get ironed out is the right approach. We're on chapter one of a pretty long book.
  • Khanivor 10 Aug 2020 15:26:57 44,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Iíve been out to eat twice. Both times sitting outside.

Fuck inside.

The lack of social contact is getting to be a bit much.

My consumption of all mind adjusters other then caffeine has dropped to zero. I recently went seven days without a drop of alcohol. First time in, oh, aboit thirty years.

While I know this is all good for me itís also a bit concerning, if you know what I mean
  • drhickman1983 10 Aug 2020 15:32:27 6,992 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh I've been drinking a bit more than normal.

In many ways my day to day hasn't changed that much, I'd say 70% of my socializing was done online, computer games.

But I do really miss the other 30%. I'd play boardgames once or twice a week at friends houses which wouldn't really be in entirely feasible at the moment.

And I miss seeing family and friends in a different part of the country. a lot.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 15:32:38 10-08-2020
  • grey_matters 10 Aug 2020 15:55:49 5,314 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @drhickman1983

I'd go to see my father if I was you (we're all making our own risk decisions here though so ignore at will). Stay outside and well spaced, a couple of beers or a flask of tea and a simple chat. If there's a full 2nd wave there it will be a long time before you get a chance.

Edit: I guess there's a travel element that adds extra risk?

Edited by grey_matters at 15:56:50 10-08-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Aug 2020 16:08:55 29,003 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's easy enough to get tested to give you peace of mind before visiting your father.
  • drhickman1983 10 Aug 2020 16:22:50 6,992 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @grey_matters

Definitely some travel, public transport would be involved.

I'd normally visit for a few days because every the quick option would involve 3-4 hour journey in one direction :p

Getting a test might be an option. They don't make it easy for non-drivers though as most sites are drive through. Not sure if you can just turn up on foot.
  • Khanivor 10 Aug 2020 16:31:27 44,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Pretty much all testing here is drive thru. Iíve no car. When after waking in middle of night and getting a shack I started to convince myself things didnít taste normal I wondered how Iíd get a test

Then I remembered Iím little people do by the time I got the results back Iíd either be Ďrecoveredí or obviously sick.

So thatís a bit of a weight taken off.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Aug 2020 16:35:10 16,182 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Pretty much all testing here is drive thru. Iíve no car. When after waking in middle of night and getting a shack I started to convince myself things didnít taste normal I wondered how Iíd get a test

Then I remembered Iím little people do by the time I got the results back Iíd either be Ďrecoveredí or obviously sick.

So thatís a bit of a weight taken off.
    Well the cases in America have started to fall now.
    (Suspiciously after the reporting was transferred to a different Whitehouse approved organisation).
    So even if you have it they might not tell you anymore.
  • Khanivor 10 Aug 2020 16:44:45 44,542 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Na, totes on the level the immediate drop in cases the day after data collection went to the HHS from CDC.

Still at over 50k a day though. And now kids are going back to school, thereby ensuring those buggers donít have to miss out on the forced exposure the adults have been enjoying all along, its certain to go down even further.

Itís been interesting this whole time. My old home of Aberdeen is very similar in population to the county I live in now. The difference in reaction to cares and deaths has been a good microcosm of the gulf in attitudes and response between the two countries.

Aberdeen went back in to lockdown over 53 cases. Sane say we had 80 and it didnít register beyond the daily report from the health department. Then again, weíve been hitting those numbers for a few months now. After the mask mandate which the city police chief and county sheriff immediately said that they wouldnít enforce the only shifts in policy have been announcing more things that are allowed to open bank to normal.

People talk a lot about the psychological effect of isolation and upending the regular patterns of life.

What about the damage being done to all of us who look at the behavior of fellow citizens and the authorities and their diametric opposition to rational, knowledgeable and reasoned actions? Itís a bit like a low grade acid trip every moment of the day. Your brain knows what the world should be doing but itís breaking the rules instead.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.