Coronavirus Page 858

• ResidentKnievel 16 Oct 2020 18:21:27 7,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    It would be good to get some really meaningful data on who is actually spreading it. It seems logical itís the kids, and yet I canít help but feel workplaces, public transport, pubs, restaurants and people generally not behaving like thereís a pandemic is more the issue.
    SAGE gave the Government some estimates a few weeks back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54514387

One set of Sage documents reveals how much individual policies may cut the R number by:

Close all bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants could reduce R by 0.1-0.2
    Close all indoor gyms and leisure centres could reduce R by up to 0.1
    Closing non-essential retail would have "minimal impact" on transmission
    Stopping people mixing in homes could reduce R by 0.1-0.2
    Working from home reduce R by 0.2-0.4
    Closing all schools could reduce R by 0.2-0.5
    It seemed obvious months ago that getting students in to halls would be a disaster, too, maybe that's included in their number for schools.
  • richardiox 16 Oct 2020 18:21:44 9,006 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It would be good to get some really meaningful data on who is actually spreading it. It seems logical itís the kids, and yet I canít help but feel workplaces, public transport, pubs, restaurants and people generally not behaving like thereís a pandemic is more the issue.
    On the Sage breakdowns of what measures contribute greatest to bringing the R number down, closing schools has by far the biggest impact. I think it reduces R by 0.5 whereas pubs shutting would be 0.2.

But they've already ruled out closings schools. So how are they good to get the rate of infection decreasing with piecemeal half measures?
  • azurelas_2 16 Oct 2020 18:55:47 2,051 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I got the 'rona kids!!

Stupidity aside, I was very ill on Tuesday and Wednesday, got slightly better yesterday and now have no more sense of smell or taste.

Apparently the latter is very common and might even be permanent (I hope not since I love food).

The weird thing is that there is no treatment at all. All I was told was to rest and drink plenty of fluids.
  • elstoof 16 Oct 2020 19:06:43 26,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As is the case with nearly every virus
  • richardiox 16 Oct 2020 19:22:07 9,006 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @azurelas_2

Token "where do you think you caught it from?" question
  • Dougs 16 Oct 2020 19:27:08 96,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Just the 28,000 cases reported today

And a government so devoid of credibility and lacking in support for communities that local authorities across the country would rather risk greater exposure and lesser restrictions than follow the latest revision of lockdown/tier guidance.
    Where you getting 28k from? Website says 15.6k.
    That's the ONS survey estimate.
  • mothercruncher 16 Oct 2020 20:44:28 18,130 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doo doo doodoo do doo do doo doodoo do do
    Doo doo doodoo do doo

GOT THE ĎRONAAAA.
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 Oct 2020 20:51:26 13,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tell you Rona what I'm gonna do
  • azurelas_2 16 Oct 2020 21:23:52 2,051 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @richardiox I met my aunt for dinner 2 weeks ago; she's a nurse in a major hospital and has been working on the COVID-ward since the outbreak.

Pretty obvious.
  • Not-a-reviewer 16 Oct 2020 21:46:00 6,535 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    SAGE gave the Government some estimates a few weeks back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54514387

One set of Sage documents reveals how much individual policies may cut the R number by:

Close all bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants could reduce R by 0.1-0.2
    Close all indoor gyms and leisure centres could reduce R by up to 0.1
    Closing non-essential retail would have "minimal impact" on transmission
    Stopping people mixing in homes could reduce R by 0.1-0.2
    Working from home reduce R by 0.2-0.4
    Closing all schools could reduce R by 0.2-0.5
    It seemed obvious months ago that getting students in to halls would be a disaster, too, maybe that's included in their number for schools.
    Fromm skim off the document Uni is separate to schools and 0.3. The majority of the school number is secondary and FE.
  • richardiox 16 Oct 2020 22:43:51 9,006 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's amazing how we were sold the Impression that schools are safe etc and yet scientifically they're the single biggest contributor to community spread. No coincidence case rates across Europe shot up in the second week of September.

Real ethical dilemma for governments with regard to keeping them open given their secondary functions of enabling parents to work and how important they are to kids' development.

Given how transmission seems to scale with age and given that 16+ are better suited to home learning and are more independent perhaps a solution is to close unis and 6th forms/Fe colleges as part of a circuit breaker....but keep primary schools and key stage 3 open.

Edited by richardiox at 22:44:55 16-10-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Oct 2020 22:52:04 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If kids education is the primary concern you could mitigate by furloughing more businesses to remove those risk factors
  • captbirdseye 16 Oct 2020 22:57:02 9,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Staff transmission is one of the main problems in school settings and not kid to kid. I did a bit of work on it but Unions weren't happy.
  • ResidentKnievel 16 Oct 2020 22:59:34 7,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Basicly concrete and sensible plans could have been mapped out going in to Autumn, but the government have decided to wing it instead, killing tens of thousands of us.
  • TheSaint 16 Oct 2020 23:35:29 19,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Primary doesnít seem too bad stats wise but secondary seems like a real hotbed. The current bands skew things somewhat as secondary pupils and uni students are bunched together so hard to get an accurate picture.
  • General_Martok 16 Oct 2020 23:43:33 1,424 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I personally think the planet should just upgrade the virus and kill us quicker. At this slow rate we might nuke reach other before nature's done with us.

Stupid nature. Hurry!
  • smugla 17 Oct 2020 00:03:11 2,278 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSx6tAe3/

Speechless
  • TheSaint 17 Oct 2020 00:41:27 19,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pretty sure thatís not a recent video.
  • Dougs 17 Oct 2020 07:54:34 96,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Staff transmission is one of the main problems in school settings and not kid to kid. I did a bit of work on it but Unions weren't happy.
    This is it. My wife is the only one who wears a mask, and on day 1 took a look at the staff room before deciding to eat lunch in the car. No effort made at all to distance etc. It's no surprise really
  • Baihu1983 17 Oct 2020 08:35:55 12,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smugla wrote:
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSx6tAe3/

Speechless
    Going to assume that was Christmas or something? It's been pretty calm the few times I've been
  • macmurphy 17 Oct 2020 08:51:43 4,338 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @JamboWayOh

Only a day late, but yeah I can see why youíd say it was sweaty.

Worryingly thatís part of the appeal for me. Really enjoy watching YouTube strategy and tips videos and all the breakdowns about the weapons. Unlocking new ones to try and been one of the most rewarding things. Iíve never watched videos on games before, maybe the odd bit of rocket league.

Itís clearly got some people with a lot more talent and time than me. At the same time I think the skill based matchmaking is pretty fair. We occasionally get run over by teams but we often hold our own. Thereís also the idea that weíre never going to be that good so we mostly weasel around trying to sneak a win. Probably not as much fun as killing everyone but none of us are very good and itís still a great time, the final circle pressure remains a hand tremor inducing thrill.

So yeah, I think sweatiness has probably leaked into a lot of online games - as they become more complex and competitive people will inevitably look for an edge and online tutorials are a natural leap. It doesnít stop me and my mates just playing for fun and mostly laughing at how shit we are.

Comes to @Reacher, yeah the file size is annoying. I had the Xbox thing a few months back of 2 60G updates in as many days over a slow work connection.

I think it depends how you play games. If you swap a lot and are mostly digital then Iím sure big file sizes will ultimately put you off. If you have a slow connection I know from experience itís an absolute ballbag to keep downloading shit.

Personally I donít have many games on my digital Xbox, file size has never been an issue. The downloads have caught me out a few times but with auto updates over decent home connection Iím sure youíd barely notice.

Iíve also really enjoyed the seasonal updates. The changing multiplayer, the evolving Verdansk (small things in the map that have changed things up and the new modes that have been fun). Iíve enjoyed trying out new guns, I also really enjoy the battle pass. The battle pass is actually pretty fair - I paid about four quid for the first one and then each pass gives you enough points to buy the next one so Iíve not paid a penny since.

Iíve got loads of value out of it. Iíve probably not enjoyed online this much since the BFBC2 days. Itís been grand.

So anyway, thread utterly hijacked but if anyone wants a hobby for the impending lockdowns then give Warzone a go.
  • Drakesmoke 17 Oct 2020 08:53:50 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    I got the 'rona kids!!

Stupidity aside, I was very ill on Tuesday and Wednesday, got slightly better yesterday and now have no more sense of smell or taste.

Apparently the latter is very common and might even be permanent (I hope not since I love food).

The weird thing is that there is no treatment at all. All I was told was to rest and drink plenty of fluids.
    I lost my taste and smell. It was the damndest thing and is really hard to actually get across to people what it's like. If you follow the trajectory I had (and I too had a few of days of severe illness) it will hopefully come back. It took two or three days and was gradual, but that was after between a week and a fortnight of nothing.

I actually only realised when it became apparent that I couldn't smell the cooking.

I also congealed blood clots in my upper nose and sinus during this bit, which was not nice.
  • thelzdking 17 Oct 2020 09:10:42 10,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The count still has a long way to go, but in NZ it looks like Labour have won a massive victory, probably largely thanks to their decisive action on COVID.

It might even be the first time a party has won an outright majority since the introduction of the MMP voting system.
  • Load_2.0 17 Oct 2020 09:30:04 32,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hurrah. Farewell to Peters and NZ First. An alliance with the Greens would have been OK with me, just hoping to be free of the other fringe parties influence under MMP.
  • Tomo 17 Oct 2020 09:31:10 18,266 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Good. Pleased to see 'nice' politics winning out for once.
  • thelzdking 17 Oct 2020 10:10:02 10,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like a house made up of Labour, National,.Green and ACT. An outside chance of a Māori Party candidate scraping a seat.

I would expect Labour to go for a confidence and supply arrangement with the Greens, just to make their majority solid.

Now the question is has NZ voted for legalising weed. The polls were a bit bleak TBH. Hopefully people have seen sense.
  • thelzdking 17 Oct 2020 10:11:16 10,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    NZ First are fucked. Surely the end of Peters' political career.
  • thelzdking 17 Oct 2020 10:15:16 10,219 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry for detailing thread.
  • mothercruncher 17 Oct 2020 10:41:31 18,130 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís OK, it needed a good polish.
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Oct 2020 10:45:13 16,247 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    App just told me the threat level has been raised to High in my area.

(It has been telling me the level has changed for days via push notifications but has only just actually changed within the App).

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.