Coronavirus Page 859

• TheSaint 17 Oct 2020 11:14:51 19,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Good for NZ. Sheís the polar opposite of Johnson and his cabinet of idiots. Very jealous.
  • robc84 17 Oct 2020 12:22:12 14,721 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    App just told me the threat level has been raised to High in my area.

(It has been telling me the level has changed for days via push notifications but has only just actually changed within the App).
    Same, got raised here in herts this morning. With London and Essex already in tier 2 it seemed inevitable.

My mum still wants to see the kids tomorrow (she is also looking after my sisters). So now I have to say no and have the arguments again. Itís like 6 months ago all over again :(
  • Drakesmoke 17 Oct 2020 15:05:22 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84 yup. 'You won't even see your family for a brew' is one of the most hurtful and false things my lot have said to me, and I'm in GM.
  • 8bitMofo 17 Oct 2020 15:50:47 798 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice to see and hear the North down in London to protest for another weekend...
  • robc84 17 Oct 2020 16:41:23 14,721 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My app says my postcode is high risk, but I canít find anywhere online that says so. Nothing like a bit of confusion in these times!
  • mothercruncher 17 Oct 2020 16:42:48 18,130 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does this help?

https://www.gbmaps.com/covidalertmap/index.php
  • robc84 17 Oct 2020 16:46:09 14,721 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kind of. Has us as tier 1, but the COVID app says tier 2.
  • TheyreAllDeadDave 17 Oct 2020 17:08:13 43 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Covid app says I'm medium and high risk, tier 1.5? Kind of makes sense as I'm on the Suffolk / Essex border.
  • mothercruncher 17 Oct 2020 19:05:39 18,130 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís your lower half thatís medium and upper is high risk as thatís where you breathe from.
  • 8bitMofo 18 Oct 2020 00:57:50 798 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good to see the privacy issue settled
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54586897
  • macmurphy 18 Oct 2020 10:11:32 4,338 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Went for a ruby last night in London (tier 2). Tables a foot and half apart, clearly a lot of people not in same household (6 fifty year old women together), no test and trace log in, no hand sanitiser as you walk in, unmasked people just bumbling in and out to collect takeaway. No attempt to establish if me and the missus lived together (weíre both single household bubble buddies). Waiters were wearing masks is single thing that would have made it look different to last year.

Probably shouldnít have stayed but it was quiet when we entered and I only really noticed most of this unfold as we sat down and ate.

I guess it comes down to enforcement. Iím guessing properly distanced tables and refusing those group bookings would have slashed their take and everyoneís got to eat, but this isnít ending any time soon
    while this kind of clusterfuck is happening.

Edited by macmurphy at 10:12:28 18-10-2020
  • richardiox 18 Oct 2020 10:25:36 9,006 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @macmurphy

It's such a shame that it has to come down to enforcement rather than people at least making the slightest bit of effort to do the right thing.

Since the March lockdown my family have been pretty careful and keeping ourselves largely free of pubs, shops etc. Then I read posts like yours and wonder if we're being overcautious rather than other people being over zealous.

That said, I do get some funny looks when I get my Smelling Orange out my pocket. Try to do at least a dozen really powerful sniffs a day just to check my sense of smell is on point.
  • EMarkM 18 Oct 2020 10:42:53 5,065 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @richardiox We're with you, Richard. (Figuratively speaking, of course!) Despite being surrounded by people, some of whom we are extremely fond of and whose opinions we otherwise respect, who just don't seem to "get it", we (two adults and an eight year old) have done our utmost to just blimmin' STAY AWAY from everyone.

We've agonised over whether it's the right thing to do for our little girl, when all her mates were still going to each other's houses throughout the summer, and continue to do so. We have done our very best to weigh up the consequences of our decisions.

We believe that we are doing the right thing. Most people we know seem to be taking a different approach.
  • drhickman1983 18 Oct 2020 10:51:45 7,130 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm trying to stay away from people, but when my housemates are still keen to go to the pub and invite friends over it's really hard to see the point.

(we're still in Tier 1 so it's not technically against the rules, though I'm also well aware they're a bit relaxed when it comes to social distancing).

My housemate is also the houseowner so I can't really tell him to fuck off, unfortunately.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2020 10:54:49
    The rule of 6 has its good and bad effects

Good - I donít have to see my in laws hardly at all now

Bad - my baby daughter barely knows some in laws now unlike my other kids who are close to them. The early years are where they bond
  • nickthegun 18 Oct 2020 10:58:17 83,333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think there will ultimately be some interesting statistics coming out of this when the dust settles.

I live in the most middle class area of the most middle class county and compliance, as far as I can see, is near universal. When Iíve been out, mask wearing inside is 100% and anyone who isnít he a medical lanyard. Even out on the street, I would say getting on for 50% people are just walking around in masks full time.

We nipped into town yesterday and had a bite at a cafe and pretty much everyone put a mask on every time they left the table to order, leave or go to the can.

Dunno whether itís wealth, education or just the fact our area is so Tory we just blindly follow everything those idiots come out with but thereís *something* that has triggered almost universal compliance with pretty much everything during this whole pandemic.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2020 11:08:25
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I'm trying to stay away from people, but when my housemates are still keen to go to the pub and invite friends over it's really hard to see the point.

(we're still in Tier 1 so it's not technically against the rules, though I'm also well aware they're a bit relaxed when it comes to social distancing).

My housemate is also the houseowner so I can't really tell him to fuck off, unfortunately.

Itís the age old argument of I can go to work and mix with a huge amount of people but canít have my mum and dad over as I have too many kids for the rule of 6. The official argument is my workplace is COVID secure but all of us who work know that they really arenít as itís practically impossible for any work place to have social distancing done properly

Edited by northernlights at 11:33:49 18-10-2020

Edited by northernlights at 11:34:32 18-10-2020
  • sport 18 Oct 2020 11:09:14 16,351 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maybe everyone's intimidated by nick?
  • askew 18 Oct 2020 11:11:10 21,971 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís the Donkey Kong in Mario Kart swagger
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Oct 2020 11:38:56 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    It's such a shame that it has to come down to enforcement rather than people at least making the slightest bit of effort to do the right thing.
    I see people asking how we can avoid lockdown and punishments and this is it. Act responsibly and stop trying to find every loophole or straight up ignoring the guidance.
  • macmurphy 18 Oct 2020 12:41:31 4,338 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    richardiox wrote:
    I see people asking how we can avoid lockdown and punishments and this is it. Act responsibly and stop trying to find every loophole or straight up ignoring the guidance.
    I think itís already been pointed out that people are cunts though. And it spreads. Restaurant next door was almost all couples and reasonably busy, but it looked as though they had turned parties away. The pub was the same - didnít look like a usual pub, almost all couples. It looked like Valentineís Day. Again pretty quiet though.

Pretty sure they are losing out, and once people find out the Indian takes groups Iím sure it will do well (other restaurants may or may not break rules regardless of their cultural background, it just happened to be an Indian). You shouldnít be punished By losing trade as a business for doing the right thing. You need enforcement and closures to level the playing field.

A bit of me thinks I should report them but also thereís a bit of me that thinks no one likes a grass. 🤷‍♂️
  • cov 18 Oct 2020 12:49:30 2,363 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    While I see similar compliance in one similar area, also seeing almost none in others: working class northern town none, smaller village upper middle class toryites who are also not wearing masks and treating it as tho it's not for them, lots of different responses
  • DaM 18 Oct 2020 13:11:14 17,488 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Think I posted a few pages ago that my son had close contact with someone whose family is now quaranting after positive tests. We had no request to isolate, but were keeping a voluntary low profile.

But teenage son increasingly pissed off after a week of school holidays stuck in the house, so let him out after 7 days with no symptoms. Came home with a fever....

Booked a test at 11pm for 11.30am the next day. Drive through. Fairly straightforward (I recommend reading the instructions through 2 or 3 times before starting - difficult as a man, I know, but these are strange times).

Negative result through, 4am, so just over 24hrs from booking to result. Well done NHS Scotland.

He celebrated by going out with some large gangs of teenagers. I think the local Facebook groups are on the verge of organising a vigilante squad to remove them from parks in the area, they are in gatherings like Quatermass.
  • beastmaster 18 Oct 2020 15:46:33 21,414 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Friend of mine who immigrated to Oz needs to come back to see her mum as she's in hospital with pneumonia. Can't just hop on a plane so her brother's getting proof from the hospital and then see has to apply for exemption.

Edit: Apparently it's easier when you say you're going for 3 months or longer and are going to look for work. Which is what she'll do. As in come over and look for work as opposed to just say that.

Edited by beastmaster at 15:47:55 18-10-2020
  • BigOrkWaaagh 18 Oct 2020 16:08:47 9,724 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I live in the most middle class area of the most middle class county and compliance, as far as I can see, is near universal. When Iíve been out, mask wearing inside is 100% and anyone who isnít he a medical lanyard. Even out on the street, I would say getting on for 50% people are just walking around in masks full time.
    To add to this, I live in a shithole of an area full of absolute scumbags who seem to delight in not taking the advice seriously. In shops mask wearing has risen very gradually but there are always a few who just won't. I am one of the very few people who wear a mask just out and about and we were definitely one of the first families in the area to be wearing them. I work at a school in said area and my department were far and away the very first to take it seriously, we were all wearing masks, cleaning hands and staying the fuck away from one another as much as possible (still are) and were subject to much ridicule. The staff have very slowly come around because they have basically been ordered to but the kids can't be bothered, presumably because their parents also can't be bothered. Well guess which school is closing down due to too many cases next week.
  • JamboWayOh 18 Oct 2020 16:15:40 21,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

The irony that you work in a place of EDUCATION is not lost on me. That's depressing.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 16:15:54 18-10-2020
  • drhickman1983 18 Oct 2020 17:40:28 7,130 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Here's a hypothetical question.

If I'm in a Tier 1 zone, and travel to see family in another Tier 1 zone, and stay over for a few nights (which as far as I'm aware isn't disallowed), what happens if either area is upgraded to Tier 2?

If where I live is upgraded to Tier 2 I guess it's not a big issues to travel back, as long as I dont leave again. But if the place I'm visiting is upgraded, would I be allowed to travel back to where I live?
  • Dougs 18 Oct 2020 17:55:21 96,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think so. But would have to leave before the restrictions came into force, banning indoor mixing.
  • richardiox 18 Oct 2020 18:08:38 9,006 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Or you'd literally be trapped for months

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.