Following Coronavirus Page 1050

• simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 16:32:55 16,066 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    And takes us over 100,000 deaths
    Is that by the governmentís 28 day count or ONS real total?

Either way its a grim place to be when the next two or three weeks have so many baked into the numbers already. Its almost too huge to imagine that many families being affected all at once.

And that so many could have been potentially avoided if things had been done sooner or adhered to more carefully.
  • General_Martok 13 Jan 2021 16:38:40 1,669 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    @General_Martok

You can watch the blonde fluff-ball blusterwaffling his way through a grilling by the Commons Liaison Commitee though.
    No thanks. I watched the blonde fur ball wriggle around PMQ's. That's enough of him.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 16:39:16 16,066 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really hope the government deciding to abandon the manufacturer and regulator approved vaccine delivery schedule doesnít fuck up the jabs effectiveness
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Jan 2021 16:52:40 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I really hope the government deciding to abandon the manufacturer and regulator approved vaccine delivery schedule doesnít fuck up the jabs effectiveness
    I hope not as well but you know what the government is like, Boris giving some half arsed apology and Patel smirking
  • X201 13 Jan 2021 16:54:05 21,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    Is that by the governmentís 28 day count or ONS real total?

I think it's a mix, ONS plus the last few days of Govt. figures.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 16:58:02 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, 28 day is ~85k. Just fucking mindboggling numbers.

But it's cool, at least they saved Christmas.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 17:01:32 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    223,726 vaccination jabs today. Still some way to go before they start hitting the numbers they need for their target.
  • General_Martok 13 Jan 2021 17:05:40 1,669 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    223,726 vaccination jabs today. Still some way to go before they start hitting the numbers they need for their target.
    Assuming no ramp up that would get us to 8.4m by this time next month.

That daily number needs to double, pretty damn soon.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 17:06:28 16,066 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    I hope not as well but you know what the government is like, Boris giving some half arsed apology and Patel smirking
    Its crazy, all those man hours and the best reseachers at the absolute forefront of medical research doing pioneering work to create new vectors by which the vaccine may work, thousands of volunteers putting their bodies forward for trials and regulatory authorities making sure everything is in order and the jabs safe to start saving lives and about a week later the politicians make the decision not to follow the regimen that they delivered.
  • askew 13 Jan 2021 17:21:39 22,605 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    Ö

And that so many could have been potentially avoided if things had been done sooner or adhered to more carefully.
    "20,000 would be a good outcome"
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 17:25:11 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Still, not quite as far out as Trump's various predictions turned out to be.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 19:07:52 16,066 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Still, not quite as far out as Trump's various predictions turned out to be.
    I think youíll find that tens of millions would be dead if he hadnít been such a great leader
  • muddyyfunster 13 Jan 2021 19:08:21 804 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Re: vaccine pace, apparently, the reasoning for confidence on ramping up is that some of the bottlenecks are related to the handling difficulties with the BioNTech vaccine. The Oxford one will be far easier to roll out and they expect this to dramatically increase the number of centres that can administer vaccines.

Makes sense.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 19:12:06 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think youíll find that tens of millions would be dead if he hadnít been such a great leader
    The roving Antifa BLM deathsquads would have made short work of that target.
  • X201 13 Jan 2021 21:05:36 21,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Donít worry.
    As I pointed out the other week - and More or Less on Radio 4 had nightmares over - the Govt. wording is very specific ďoffered a testĒ, all they have to do is send out millions of letters and itís woo hoo for us, weíve hit our target. No need to stick needles in people.
  • chopsen 13 Jan 2021 21:21:14 21,530 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The rate will pick up with the mass vaccination centres, obviously, and they aren't even all up running yet.

Plus the AZ vaccine is deployable from way more sites than the PB one, so would expect pharmacists to start delivering it too.

I wouldn't be surprised for it to take in to next year to get *everybody* done though.
  • richardiox 13 Jan 2021 21:24:28 9,363 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I know they've set themselves lofty targets but to be fair, vaccinating 200K a day what, one month after the first jab happened, is pretty good going as is the fact we're doing around half a million tests a day.

It's just such a tragedy they've failed so badly on the social measures. If we has this testing and Vax programme whilst also keeping numbers manageable we'd be in a really strong position. But they keep fucking it with late/half arsed lockdowns.

Today was my first day free after ten days isolation from testing positive. Felt amazing to spend some time with the kids.
  • Knighty 13 Jan 2021 21:24:32 1,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Donít worry.
    As I pointed out the other week - and More or Less on Radio 4 had nightmares over - the Govt. wording is very specific ďoffered a testĒ, all they have to do is send out millions of letters and itís woo hoo for us, weíve hit our target. No need to stick needles in people.
    Iím pretty sure that The vaccine minister (Zahawi?) said the wording was such purely because they canít force everyone in that group to have the vaccine if they donít want it. I think he spelt out the measure was something along the lines of Ďthatís jabs in arms, not letters sent outí.

It stood out because it seemed uncommonly like a minister putting his bollocks on the line and not leaving wiggle room!
  • mothercruncher 13 Jan 2021 21:26:18 18,715 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I still have Mmyyyyeee Corrronaaaaaa! in my head every time I see this thread title.
  • Knighty 13 Jan 2021 21:29:10 1,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    I know they've set themselves lofty targets but to be fair, vaccinating 200K a day what, one month after the first jab happened, is pretty good going as is the fact we're doing around half a million tests a day.

Itís pretty telling they didnít outsource overseeing the vaccine rollout to a company like Serco, and that itís seen major success (even if it still needs to speed up a tad). Feels like maybe they realised it was our only hope and didnít want to fuck this particular one up. Imagine if we could have just concentrated available doses in Ďhotspotsí. Feels like our deaths could have been right down to relatively speaking numbers. We might even have been opening up soon...
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 22:43:31 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The man who saved Christmas specifically said 15m jabs by February the 15th, so that's the criteria they'll be judged on.
  • Kay 13 Jan 2021 22:46:50 20,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just got confirmation of a positive test result, which is not surprising after feeling like absolute shit for the past few days. Interestingly the actual covid symptoms were pretty minor, but there were a whole bunch of other flu like symptoms I never expected, including an annoying migraine. Feels kind of weird finally experiencing it myself, after seeing how much devastation it's caused over the past year.
  • richardiox 13 Jan 2021 22:55:40 9,363 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Kay

Token "where do you think you got it?" question...

I tested positive on Saturday 2nd January, zero symptoms and wouldn't have known I had it if we weren't on the ONS programme.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 23:06:01 16,066 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Knighty wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Donít worry.
    Iím pretty sure that The vaccine minister (Zahawi?) said the wording was such purely because they canít force everyone in that group to have the vaccine if they donít want it. I think he spelt out the measure was something along the lines of Ďthatís jabs in arms, not letters sent outí.

It stood out because it seemed uncommonly like a minister putting his bollocks on the line and not leaving wiggle room!
    That line about letters sent out sounds like a very specific reference to the testing at the end of the first lockdown when Hancock was saying X amount of tests and turned out to be the number sent out not the number of tests successfully carried out.

Either its a dig at Hancock or theyíre saying this time weíll get it right.
  • Dougs 13 Jan 2021 23:15:09 97,448 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    https://mobile.twitter.com/rowlsmanthorpe/status/1349459843833352192

Great thread on adherence to the rules. Long and short of it, most people are sticking to the rules except how long/when to isolate. Reasons for that are obvious and not new, but interesting to see in the wider context of the other rules.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 23:40:07 16,066 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I mean really of all the rules to ignore thatís gotta be the worst one
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 23:48:12 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    but there were a whole bunch of other flu like symptoms I never expected, including an annoying migraine
    I had a headache and comical levels of the shits for days. It was not a fun week.

Dougs wrote:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/rowlsmanthorpe/status/1349459843833352192

Great thread on adherence to the rules. Long and short of it, most people are sticking to the rules except how long/when to isolate. Reasons for that are obvious and not new, but interesting to see in the wider context of the other rules.
    Co-incidental, but places with the best isolation adherence are places with the best support for people who have to isolate (priority shopping, wages covered etc).

Strange that.

Edited by Psychotext at 23:51:25 13-01-2021
  • Benno 14 Jan 2021 10:37:11 11,797 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55654127

I think its going to be interesting/worrying watching how behaviour changes post-vaccine in the elderly and vulnerable group. As I mentioned before, I think there is a real moral hazard risk here, which doesn't factor formally into any of the quantitative models I have seen. Much in the same way people drive slightly more dangerously when they have car insurance.

Once the mortality rate reduces and things open back up, COVID will be free to spread everywhere and we'll probably see some kind of third (or is it fourth?) wave. This will hopefully just be a wave of cases, and not so much hospitalisations and deaths, on the strong assumption that our vaccine rollout is successful.

However, a vaccine with 70-95% effectiveness may not do much for you if you reintegrate into society in such a way as to increase your background COVID risk 10 or 100-fold.

Hopefully the vaccines will still improves hospitalisation and mortality rates in those who get COVID. We still cant be sure on the magnitude of that effect though, and I feel we should default to a more cautionary approach until the data starts rolling in.

Edited by Benno at 10:37:32 14-01-2021
  • X201 14 Jan 2021 10:39:55 21,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Knighty wrote:

Itís pretty telling they didnít outsource overseeing the vaccine rollout to a company like Serco, and that itís seen major success (even if it still needs to speed up a tad). Feels like maybe they realised it was our only hope and didnít want to fuck this particular one up.
    Plenty of time for that innocent young Knightly.

All the other things were set up and working well by the NHS/Army etc before being flogged off.

Edited by X201 at 10:40:19 14-01-2021
  • RGeefe 14 Jan 2021 10:59:54 1,623 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not a fan of them announcing Covid gives "5 months protection". Just feels like false sense of security.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.