Coronavirus Page 1135

• drhickman1983 22 Feb 2021 20:54:27 7,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    No real difference to me, until I can meet people I like indoors or stay at my folks house (so the 17th March). Cant really care about anything until then.
    17th May

/pedant
    both begin with M, close enough
  • TheSaint 22 Feb 2021 21:12:55 20,388 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "all four scenarios modelled lead to a substantial resurgence in hospital admissions and deaths"

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1363888315997556740?s=21

That Sage report is talking about reopening everything by May.

Edited by TheSaint at 21:46:49 22-02-2021
  • Dougs 22 Feb 2021 22:46:07 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Is that just until everyone has had their vaccinations,some 2 months after? (Haven't read the summary, struggling on my phone). Surely vaccines have to have an impact at some point, given the data.
  • arty 23 Feb 2021 00:21:04 823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    the 20th june memes make me want to kill someone

Strange reaction I know, maybe if my life before covid wasn't already 'social isolation' I'd feel different
  • drhickman1983 23 Feb 2021 07:23:37 7,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If we're supposed to believe the relaxing of rules will be data lead, maybe it wasn't the best of ideas to share the roadmap out linked to 5 specific dates, even with the wishy-washy "no earlier than" caveat.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 07:27:36 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's been the same throughout. All this needed benchmarks on case or hospitalisation rates at each step. I don't know what the case rates were like when we had that half-arsed lockdown in Nov but I suspect we will be coming out of this with higher rates than then.
  • THFourteen 23 Feb 2021 07:31:55 53,952 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    If we're supposed to believe the relaxing of rules will be data lead, maybe it wasn't the best of ideas to share the roadmap out linked to 5 specific dates, even with the wishy-washy "no earlier than" caveat.
    I think some of it is giving people something to look forward to / hope for. Because for a lot of people the outlook is pretty shit right now with no endgame in sight.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 08:16:59 14,913 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They've done that literally every time though, and then been too chicken shit to be the ones to be the bearers of bad news when the data suggests it's a bad idea. We've been in the situation we are now for as long as we have been because we've JUST played this hand over the Christmas period.

People have been hawking the statistics for the better part of a year now. I don't see a single reason at all "We'll relax rule X when piece of data Y hits this number and we're confident it is holding at that level" isn't the more sensible option and something people could get on board with.
  • Nexus_6 23 Feb 2021 08:30:36 5,746 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    G'day!
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 08:33:04 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    They've done that literally every time though, and then been too chicken shit to be the ones to be the bearers of bad news when the data suggests it's a bad idea. We've been in the situation we are now for as long as we have been because we've JUST played this hand over the Christmas period.

People have been hawking the statistics for the better part of a year now. I don't see a single reason at all "We'll relax rule X when piece of data Y hits this number and we're confident it is holding at that level" isn't the more sensible option and something people could get on board with.
    There is a differences this time. 5 weeks between each step to ensure the data is there and supports opening up.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 08:47:29 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    By all means put a date on each step, you have to in order for businesses to get ready to open again, but at least give it some quantative data to hang that on. Surely it's not beyond their modelling to look at where we are now and where we want to get to. I suspect it's because the case rate etc will still be quite eye-opening. At some point though, we have to move beyond case rates and focus on hospitalisations or something.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 08:48:02 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @General_Martok except the wheeze for step 1 stage 1 and step 1 stage 2.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 08:51:29 14,913 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that's great and sensible and everything. But so was the '5 stage' thing last year that turned out to basically amount to a slide on a PowerPoint. If they'd ever used "the data" to course correct any of their plans outside the 11th hour over the last 12 months I might be inclined to believe it's a good idea.
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 08:56:05 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's the problem. The fuckers talk the talk but never seem to act and the act.

They have changed tone at least recently so maybe there is a slight hope in hell that they've learnt.
  • bzzct 23 Feb 2021 08:57:36 2,226 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    At some point though, we have to move beyond case rates and focus on hospitalisations or something.
    We already have. Although they haven't put out the numbers they're aiming for in each metric, they've specified they metrics, and cases is no longer one of them.
  • Wayne 23 Feb 2021 09:39:02 2,526 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I think some of it is giving people something to look forward to / hope for. Because for a lot of people the outlook is pretty shit right now with no endgame in sight.
    It's already been shown that this strategy backfires when you tell people they can do certain things by a certain date, and then retract it. That's when lockdown fatigue kicks in and people stop caring about the rules.
  • beastmaster 23 Feb 2021 09:43:51 21,931 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's going to be interesting. Table service and social distancing is fine for me.

But if they decided to open up pubs to back the way they were, everywhere would get hammered. If the infection rates stats were low how long would be be before you plunged back in there? Or would you be there first night?
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 09:45:07 14,913 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's happening already. The public have gone fever pitch around the April 12th thing, businesses are already kicking it into overdrive with promotion around the date. There's absolutely no way they retract that now irrespective of data. Which incidentally, will be exactly why they haven't been transparent with what figures mean what.
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 09:47:15 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    It's already been shown that this strategy backfires when you tell people they can do certain things by a certain date, and then retract it. That's when lockdown fatigue kicks in and people stop caring about the rules.
    That's why the words "no earlier than" exist. The media are the ones stating the dates like their a certainty. Not the government.

Stop making me a government spokesperson, especially not this government!
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 09:50:49 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    It's happening already. The public have gone fever pitch around the April 12th thing, businesses are already kicking it into overdrive with promotion around the date. There's absolutely no way they retract that now irrespective of data. Which incidentally, will be exactly why they haven't been transparent with what figures mean what.
    Let's see if the government have learnt from Christmas. They need to make sure that they constantly tell the media that the dates aren't certain and are moveable.

Not like before Christmas where the twats stated Christmas would be saved weeks before Christmas and then had to do possibly the biggest most abrupt U turn in British government history.
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2021 09:51:25 85,079 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its like the golden path for morons

#sickdunereferencebro
  • richardiox 23 Feb 2021 09:53:49 9,519 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I totally agree with them setting dates with the "subject to change" caveat. Not having a date and just being "when it's safer" would be really detrimental to my mental health... because in the back of my head it'll never truly be safer and we can't go on like this indefinitely.

So psychologically I'd like prefer to have a date to look forward to and then be disappointed if/when it gets rolled back than not having a date.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 09:55:48 14,913 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Let's see if the government have learnt from Christmas. They need to make sure that they constantly tell the media that the dates aren't certain and are moveable.

Not like before Christmas where the twats stated Christmas would be saved weeks before Christmas and then had to do possibly the biggest most abrupt U turn in British government history.
    If we had a competent government, I have little doubt the steps that have been put in place would have been the right ones to take with things heading in the direction they are.

But we could fill an achievement binder with the evidence that they will sit on the fence and stick to their guns until it's far too late, and then lie and deflect when challenged on it.
  • sport 23 Feb 2021 09:57:18 16,678 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    General public: "Don't remember that"

/CON +8
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 10:00:16 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sport wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    General public: "Don't remember that"

/CON +8
    That is exactly what's happened :(
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 10:04:22 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Why is there no endgame in sight with vaccination going so well? The outlook is miles better than it has been in a year.
  • Gibroon 23 Feb 2021 10:06:05 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just don't believe the general public will be keeping sensible up until April 12th or after. The statement may have been needed for some sort of sense of endgame but you can guarantee from now on there will be a lot more mingling in homes etc "'cos we've beaten the virus" even though we are still at 10K cases a day and April is still 6 weeks or so away.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 10:07:25 22,783 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The endgame is not only in sight, but we’re in it.
  • bzzct 23 Feb 2021 10:07:57 2,226 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:

To be fair they then broke their own record a week later when they sent children that had been isolating/semi-isolating with their family for two weeks back into school to mix with each other and then ONE DAY later shut all the schools for two months...
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.