Coronavirus Page 1136

• General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 10:10:08 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe that's when they realised they're incompetent?

/clutching at straws
  • THFourteen 23 Feb 2021 10:32:13 53,952 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    I just don't believe the general public will be keeping sensible up until April 12th or after. The statement may have been needed for some sort of sense of endgame but you can guarantee from now on there will be a lot more mingling in homes etc "'cos we've beaten the virus" even though we are still at 10K cases a day and April is still 6 weeks or so away.
    I mean 10k cases a day might well BE the endgame. Or 30k. It depends on level of symptoms and how badly hospitals are affected.

With something like flu, we don't know what the infection rate is because a lot of people have symptoms requiring no hospital treatment, others are vaccinated, and only a proportion die.

COVID will be something we live with like flu for a very long time, if not forever.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 10:38:16 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

COVID will be something we live with like flu for a very long time, if not forever.
    I don't think you can state that with confidence. We don't know that.
  • TheSaint 23 Feb 2021 10:39:02 20,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    The endgame is not only in sight, but weíre in it.
    Not if keeping such a high daily case count leads to a vaccine-resistant mutation.

Interesting thread here on the risks associated with the government's willingness to keep cases high and the R potentially above 1.

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1364019581971558401?s=20
  • THFourteen 23 Feb 2021 10:42:05 53,952 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I hate how BAME has become a thing.

I am as non-woke as any daily mail reader but for some reason being lumped into BAME irritates the fuck out of me.
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2021 10:42:26 85,079 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    The endgame is not only in sight, but weíre in it.
    Not if keeping such a high daily case count leads to a vaccine-resistant mutation.
    I would say we are, regardless. This week marks a calendar year since I was last in the office and probably got covids and Im about to crack. I daresay much of the country is feeling the same.

We will get the vaccinations done and if push comes to shove, I think we will just end up rolling the dice as everyone is absolutely fucking sick of this.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 10:42:55 14,913 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The kicker is that obviously, we won't get more useful data until things start opening up again. Were at 10k a day in lockdown, we need to see where we're at when the kids go back, the non-essential shops/businesses, etc etc.

Which is exactly what they are saying what they will do obvs. But we've seen absolutely nothing to suggest this isn't going to go exactly as it has before. I just don't see a situation where they are going to admit they got it wrong or were off with the timing if it becomes clear they have to.

Edited by SolidSCB at 10:43:54 23-02-2021
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2021 10:43:06 85,079 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

I am as non-woke as any daily mail reader but for some reason being lumped into BAME irritates the fuck out of me.
    How would you group it then?
  • THFourteen 23 Feb 2021 10:43:13 53,952 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

It can never reach zero, therefore it will exist forever.
  • THFourteen 23 Feb 2021 10:45:21 53,952 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

How would you group it then?
    I mean I don't really care enough to give it any thought, but I don't understand why Asian is used to refer to people from so many different ethnicities, I'm of Indian origin and we are culturally and genetically super different to people of e.g. Chinese descent.

Pakistani and Indian and Bangaldashi and Sri Lankan lumped intogether, fine that makes some sense.
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 10:47:31 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The term Asian is pretty useless. It's a HUGE place.
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2021 10:52:13 85,079 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I mean, this isnít the enthography thread but it does seem that ĎAsianí refers to the dominant Asian minority in a country. In America ĎAsianí is, pretty much, Chinese and they seem to refer to Indian and Pakistanis as south Asian.
  • THFourteen 23 Feb 2021 10:53:22 53,952 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So BASAME then? works.
  • TheSaint 23 Feb 2021 10:56:12 20,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    BAME+
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 10:56:17 14,913 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm kinda glad it's not just me that finds referring to people who are more obviously of Indian descent as Asian awkward. I always feel as though it's being overly sensitive to the point of being patronising. It feels like the equivalent of trying your best to avoid saying black to me.
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2021 11:04:18 85,079 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I dunno. Youve got to sort people into boxes and 'not white' is probably a bit on the nose.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 11:12:18 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

It can never reach zero, therefore it will exist forever.
    To my understanding that's not true, will depend on many things such s how long vaccine immunity lasts.
  • THFourteen 23 Feb 2021 11:26:34 53,952 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

But it can never be 0 across the world. It will never be 0 in India for example because there are so many people in the rural population, 80% of people in india die in their beds without any form of medical diagnosis or medical report...

We can't run border testing forever, and even if we did, one person would slip through, and COVID started with one person in the UK and look where we are now.

The virus will mutate and become effective against today's vaccines that then need to be tweaked to compensate.

I just cannot see a 0 covid situation being viable.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 11:46:11 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not now, I agree. Even if we'd locked down early with border controls, I have my doubts that we could have achieved what NZ have.
  • X201 23 Feb 2021 11:47:58 21,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

It is viable.
    The actual question is when? - and how hard the world wants to push for it.

Although most will settle for it only killing a small number of the population.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 12:06:01 14,913 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the endgame is, ironically, going to be "it's just like the flu".
  • Load_2.0 23 Feb 2021 12:35:22 32,641 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

My workplace dumped it as a term. I can see why it's not a popular acronym.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 12:40:40 22,784 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    So BASAME then? works.
    Iím not really sure why it canít just be ME, as that covers BA anyway.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 12:42:33 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

But it can never be 0 across the world. It will never be 0 in India for example because there are so many people in the rural population, 80% of people in india die in their beds without any form of medical diagnosis or medical report...

We can't run border testing forever, and even if we did, one person would slip through, and COVID started with one person in the UK and look where we are now.

The virus will mutate and become effective against today's vaccines that then need to be tweaked to compensate.

I take your point about India, for the non-basket case parts of the world it could be viable depending on mutation, immunity and levels of vaccination. Neither you nor I know how the virus will react in the future, especially in a heavily vaccinated population.
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 12:56:45 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

I take your point about India, for the non-basket case parts of the world it could be viable depending on mutation, immunity and levels of vaccination. Neither you nor I know how the virus will react in the future, especially in a heavily vaccinated population.
    A basket case part of the world where 1in 8 people alive live and lots of goods are manufactured.

You really are annoying.
  • Youthist 23 Feb 2021 12:58:45 14,459 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The point about India and other countries that will never eradicate it is a massive one to just shrug off. It can never in my view be zero ever again, but it will get to the point where the level of death and severe illnes that Covid creates in the UK will make it not even newsworthy (probably a 18 months away from now in my view).
  • drhickman1983 23 Feb 2021 13:00:48 7,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 13:08:15 22,784 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Unless a country closes its borders forever, it canít ever reach 0 permanently. But it doesnít need to so it doesnít matter.

Edited by You-can-call-me-kal at 13:08:25 23-02-2021
  • DakeyrasUK 23 Feb 2021 13:16:23 4,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It will be like yellow fever or dengue fever. Certain places in the world will have it in near constant circulation. Most of the world will have vaccinated against it and if you go travelling to rural India you will probably be expected to have the latest vaccine to avoid bringing the latest home.

And incoming tourists should also be expected to have had the latest vaccine. At least a competent government would have these procedures in place once we have transmission in this country dropped to levels last seen 12-13 months ago.
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 13:21:15 1,862 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56169616

Covid-19: PM 'optimistic' restrictions can end by 21 June

For fucks sake he never learns. /o\
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.