Coronavirus Page 1137

• DJCopa 23 Feb 2021 13:33:16 2,541 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So many people whispering in his ear, and he is so weak and hopeless - not a great combo for consistent messaging.
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 13:35:36 1,890 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56169616

Covid-19: PM 'optimistic' restrictions can end by 21 June

For fucks sake he never learns. /o\
    Literally in the space of 1 of our forum pages I've gone from maybe he's learnt to nope he's still an incompetent buffoon. :(
  • Knighty 23 Feb 2021 14:05:14 1,272 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    To be fair, if he wasn’t at all optimistic about following his own damned road map 1 day after unveiling it, you’d be a bit worried...
  • TheSaint 23 Feb 2021 14:06:22 20,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The media aren't exactly helping. On Radio 4 a little earlier they were talking about the fact we now know the exact date pubs will reopen. The earliest possible date seems to have already gone out of the window.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 14:08:53 15,026 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah businesses seem to be taking it as gospel and are pushing their promotion hard from what I've seen. It's become a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy at this point.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 14:11:02 29,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

But it can never be 0 across the world. It will never be 0 in India for example because there are so many people in the rural population, 80% of people in india die in their beds without any form of medical diagnosis or medical report...

We can't run border testing forever, and even if we did, one person would slip through, and COVID started with one person in the UK and look where we are now.

The virus will mutate and become effective against today's vaccines that then need to be tweaked to compensate.

I just cannot see a 0 covid situation being viable.
    I take your point about India, for the non-basket case parts of the world it could be viable depending on mutation, immunity and levels of vaccination. Neither you nor I know how the virus will react in the future, especially in a heavily vaccinated population.
    A basket case part of the world where 1in 8 people alive live and lots of goods are manufactured.

You really are annoying.
    What's your problem, are you denying that India is a public health basket case?
    What does the number of people and how many goods they produce have to do with anything?
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 14:11:49 29,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    It will be like yellow fever or dengue fever. Certain places in the world will have it in near constant circulation. Most of the world will have vaccinated against it and if you go travelling to rural India you will probably be expected to have the latest vaccine to avoid bringing the latest home.

And incoming tourists should also be expected to have had the latest vaccine. At least a competent government would have these procedures in place once we have transmission in this country dropped to levels last seen 12-13 months ago.
    This sounds realistic to me, hope we get there.
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 14:13:34 1,890 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

But it can never be 0 across the world. It will never be 0 in India for example because there are so many people in the rural population, 80% of people in india die in their beds without any form of medical diagnosis or medical report...

We can't run border testing forever, and even if we did, one person would slip through, and COVID started with one person in the UK and look where we are now.

The virus will mutate and become effective against today's vaccines that then need to be tweaked to compensate.

I take your point about India, for the non-basket case parts of the world it could be viable depending on mutation, immunity and levels of vaccination. Neither you nor I know how the virus will react in the future, especially in a heavily vaccinated population.
    A basket case part of the world where 1in 8 people alive live and lots of goods are manufactured.

You really are annoying.
    What does the number of people and how many goods they produce have to do with anything?
    I AM denying India is a public health basket case when it comes to vaccines go and do some research to find out why.

If you need me to tell you why the number of people and goods manufactured has anything to with a virus spreading you need to do some more research.

Be well.
  • TheSaint 23 Feb 2021 14:24:04 20,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It also sounds like holiday bookings have gone through the roof in the last 24hrs. Not keen on flying but very tempted to book a flexbile airbnb in France for August to have something to look forward to.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Feb 2021 14:30:43 16,511 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The biggest impact of the announcement I’ve seen is that all the women at my work are sharing dieting memes like crazy
  • Technoishmatt 23 Feb 2021 14:31:36 4,977 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    I hate how BAME has become a thing.

I am as non-woke as any daily mail reader but for some reason being lumped into BAME irritates the fuck out of me.
    My workplace dumped it as a term. I can see why it's not a popular acronym.
    We had an interesting discussion from external speakers on this at work as part of a series on race. One person really didn't like it, thought it also lumped a group together unhelpfully. Another person, a statistician / analyst defended it on the pure basis that it made sense as a tool for understanding and measuring impact because there were so many overlapping similarities in their experience. Of course not across everything, but if not BAME what else could use you to quantify and target measures for improvement.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 14:32:10 29,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

You really are annoying.
    I AM denying India is a public health basket case when it comes to vaccines go and do some research to find out why.

If you need me to tell you why the number of people and goods manufactured has anything to with a virus spreading you need to do some more research.

Be well.
    I'd like you to explain tbh, to my knowledge India approved 2 vaccines, one before phase 3 trials are complete and will have to immunise a billion people.

I'd like to know how a huge country with extreme levels of poverty, lack of access to the most basic sanitation for millions, where hundreds of thousands of people still die from tuberculosis every year, where over a million a year die from pollution isn't a public health basket case.
  • General_Martok 23 Feb 2021 14:36:44 1,890 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

I'd like you to explain tbh
    I can't be bothered. You believe what you want.

Edited by General_Martok at 14:37:16 23-02-2021
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 14:42:46 98,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think it's the term "basket case" that is the problem. Challenging, yeah, I am.sure most would agree. But describing it as a basket case is derogatory and dismisses why it is challenging.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 14:43:50 22,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Honestly, to describe India as a ‘basket-case part of the world’ doesn’t exactly scream cultural sensitivity.

I’d probably just mea culpa on that one rather than trying to contextualise it.
  • THFourteen 23 Feb 2021 14:52:13 54,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If we are going point out deficiencies in India I would prefer that you refer to them as BAMEs so it’s less clear who you are referring to.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 14:52:29 29,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I think it's the term "basket case" that is the problem. Challenging, yeah, I am.sure most would agree. But describing it as a basket case is derogatory and dismisses why it is challenging.
    I apologise for any offence caused at the use of the term "basket case", I'm not sure the best way to describe a country where millions of children die every year, hundreds of thousands of children from dyssentry alone is tbh. Let's try "enormously challenging".
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 14:56:02 15,026 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Basket case definitely implies some degree of self fault rather than it being circumstantial.
  • imamazed 23 Feb 2021 14:57:16 6,588 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's a textbook non-apology right there.
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Feb 2021 15:00:15 12,588 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If India had a really decent street food scene all of this could have been avoided
  • X201 23 Feb 2021 15:20:07 21,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    If India had a really decent street food scene all of this could have been avoided
    You need the hipsters to move in before you get the street food
  • JYM60 23 Feb 2021 15:26:38 18,745 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    All the food is street food. Fuckin basket case country.
  • Not-a-reviewer 23 Feb 2021 15:46:44 7,106 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    It also sounds like holiday bookings have gone through the roof in the last 24hrs. Not keen on flying but very tempted to book a flexbile airbnb in France for August to have something to look forward to.
    I admire your optimism of being able to get to France.
  • beastmaster 23 Feb 2021 15:52:39 21,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Vaccination invite came through. Just booked a slot for 6th March.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Feb 2021 15:55:48 16,511 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    I admire your optimism of being able to get to France.
    Weirdly, despite spending all year almost never leaving this Northumberland village I’d be most interested in going somewhere deeper into the county and being more isolated as a vacation than getting back into the swing of flights, ferries and city breaks straight away.
  • Vortex808 23 Feb 2021 16:09:48 14,786 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    All the food is street food. Fuckin basket case country.
    Chicken in a basket case country?
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Feb 2021 16:24:47 4,942 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Had a bit of a row with my sister today. She was complaining that ‘normal life’ is so far away and that they’ll probably ‘find a reason’ to not open things up like they did last year. I politely pointed out that reason was hospitals overwhelmed and and over a thousand people a day dying. She gave me the ‘existing isn’t living’ line which really pissed me off. I’m sure all those dead people wouldn’t have minded existing a little longer so they could enjoy time with their families in the summer.

Context - they have consistently broken the rules throughout, seen parents of both sides as well as friends. If they had made the sacrifices I’d have sympathy, but they’ve been living close to normal lives while everyone else makes sacrifices. Then have the audacity to complain that things aren’t opening up on their timescale.

Rant over.
    I know people like her, moaned and bitched about lockdown and masks but broke the rules all last year then moaned about how lockdowns don't work
  • Decks 23 Feb 2021 16:32:53 28,923 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    How old actually are you?
  • beastmaster 23 Feb 2021 17:20:17 21,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    How old actually are you?
  • mrpon 23 Feb 2021 17:25:12 36,918 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    50 in lockdown, poor beasty.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.