Following Coronavirus Page 1185

• Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2021 17:09:57 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a chat with my boss today, I knew he was a bit of a conspiracy theorist and "mah freedoms" type but fucking hell.
    He's proper deranged, said that 25% of people who get a Covid vaccination die and it's all being covered up, they can't have that getting out or people won't get vaccinated, it's all a massive conspiracy, nothing to do with saving lives or health, all about money and control. All the covid deaths are faked.
    He's a well educated guy, team leader of over 60 people, it's jaw-dropping.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 17:13:13 17,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Covering up 6 million deaths would be a hell of a conspiracy
  • beastmaster 7 Apr 2021 17:17:52 22,052 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Some people just can't handle the idea that there's something so dangerous that's way out of their control. Or absolute fucking melts.
  • mothercruncher 7 Apr 2021 17:18:34 19,126 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I didnít know Buffalo Bill had staff.
  • drhickman1983 7 Apr 2021 17:36:39 7,498 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is really sad. People fall into these rabbit holes where there's lots of shiny and (on the surface) seemingly well written articles.

And people just such into this cycle of finding more articles that affirm their belief. It's basically impossible to counter it because it's essentially working like a religion. Belief in something bigger than the self.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 17:45:37 17,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iíve got a friend whose mam feel deep down the rabbit hole after losing his dad and its been tough trying to support him ttying to dig her out without things getting angry and defensive and falling out with each other
  • Wayne 7 Apr 2021 18:14:10 3,156 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I would find it so difficult to work for someone who thinks like that.
  • Rogueywon 7 Apr 2021 18:14:32 11,357 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Seems kinda pointless for longer term stuff anyway given we also have "COVID on death certificate".

Unless you're a full on swivel-eyed loon you'll likely trust a Doctors opinion as to if COVID played a part in someone dying.
    The death certificate thing isn't perfect either. In some cases with the very elderly, the cause of death isn't always clear-cut. When my grandmother died years ago, it was less a case of "what killed her" and more a case of "what didn't".

You don't need to go anywhere near swivel-eyed loon stuff to understand that doctors might not always take a consistent approach in how deaths are recorded. There's often a degree of judgement involved. While "30 days of a test" and "excess mortality" both have their flaws, neither of them are relying on a human judgement.
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2021 18:26:23 98,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I'm assuming this is a ref to holocaust deniers, but if not, it works for that too.
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2021 18:30:40 98,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    It is really sad. People fall into these rabbit holes where there's lots of shiny and (on the surface) seemingly well written articles.

And people just such into this cycle of finding more articles that affirm their belief. It's basically impossible to counter it because it's essentially working like a religion. Belief in something bigger than the self.
    I've mentioned it before, but one of my wife's closest friends and her husband have gone all out attack with conspiracy theories. It's all they post on Facey. More along the lines of the Barrington Declaration etc than deniers. Cure is worse than the disease etc. They are a big reason I stay away from the place now. Much preferred it when they discussed 80s films and updates on their kids.

Edited by Dougs at 19:29:34 07-04-2021
  • Lukus 7 Apr 2021 18:37:21 24,329 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    longpointgreen wrote:
    for some reason oxford astrazeneca is ok for those over 30 but risky for those under 30 ?
    Well it's basically ok for everyone, but of the tiny amount of people that had blood clots, a significant portion were under thirty. And 'risky' would be hugely overstating it.
  • bzzct 7 Apr 2021 18:55:12 2,346 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Also if you're older the risk of getting killed by being unvaccinated is far, far higher than the risk of any harm from the vaccine, whereas for the under 30s you're weighing an extremely low risk of vaccine side effects vs an extremely low risk of serious COVID, so the trade-off is a bit less clear cut.
  • Rogueywon 7 Apr 2021 18:58:13 11,357 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    longpointgreen wrote:
    for some reason oxford astrazeneca is ok for those over 30 but risky for those under 30 ?
    MHRA/JCVI have done a risk calculation based on the odds of somebody in that age group contracting Covid and dying of it, vs the risk of them dying from the blood clots. What the analysis has shown is that with current low infection rates, the risks are fairly evenly balanced, so if you can use a different vaccine on that age group without slowing the overall programme, you should.

They've been very clear that if infection rates spiked again, the calculus would swing back to using the AZ vaccine on that age group. It's a pretty sensible piece of risk analysis. It also very strongly implies that countries with higher infection rates should still be using the AZ vaccine across the entire adult age spectrum.
  • Lukus 7 Apr 2021 19:03:00 24,329 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd like to know more about the usual occurrence rate of this particularly rare type of blood clot.

Apparently the risk of clots in general is around 1 in a thousand, per year. Though there's a good chance I've not read that properly.
  • Rogueywon 7 Apr 2021 19:08:32 11,357 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Lukus Roughly speaking, the data shows so far that four out of every million people who have the AZ jab develop a blood clot, with just under one in a million dying. There are now suggestions of similar reactions to the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, albeit still uncomfirmed.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you were asking about the "usual" occurence rate.

Edited by Rogueywon at 19:09:13 07-04-2021
  • JamboWayOh 7 Apr 2021 19:27:09 23,585 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    It's ok, just put them on THE LIST and hey presto, they're gone.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 19:54:04 17,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I'm assuming this is a ref to holocaust deniers, but if not, it works for that too.
    Its 25% of the number of vaccinated according to my quick google but that works too
  • Rogueywon 7 Apr 2021 20:20:24 11,357 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Ah, so basically they've covered up the vaccine deaths by attributing them to the holocaust. Two birds with one stone! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
  • X201 7 Apr 2021 20:44:34 21,553 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Lukus

40 in every 10 million over the course of a year.
    Skewed 30/10 in favour of women because theyíre at risk of it during pregnancy

AZ vaccine: How do you weigh up the risks and benefits? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56665396
  • Lukus 7 Apr 2021 20:56:24 24,329 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @X201 Ahh thanks!
  • General_Martok 7 Apr 2021 21:09:35 2,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought pregnant women weren't supposed to be vaccinated in the first place?
  • X201 7 Apr 2021 21:39:34 21,553 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Those figures are the normal occurrences in unvaccinated people.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 21:48:57 17,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    I thought pregnant women weren't supposed to be vaccinated in the first place?
    They said that it wasnít recommended just because no trials had taken place rather than there being evidence of it being dangerous on Radio 4 the other day
  • bzzct 7 Apr 2021 22:21:38 2,346 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That's generally the situation with medical treatments that aren't used on pregnant women - there's no known problem, we just don't know if they're safe because things don't get tested on pregnant women.
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2021 22:46:37 98,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Lessons learned and all that!
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2021 22:49:40 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed, that's why I was so utterly shocked, was quite hard not to call him a fucking idiot.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2021 22:50:43 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    I have zero respect for him, he's a rubbish boss anyway, does hee-haw but the one good thing is that he leaves you alone so you have lots of freedom.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 22:56:33 17,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Indeed, that's why I was so utterly shocked, was quite hard not to call him a fucking idiot.
    Still, at least its good to know the 130k is just an exaggeration
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 22:56:34 17,132 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Still, at least its good to know the 130k is just an exaggeration
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.