Following Coronavirus Page 1187

• TheSaint 8 Apr 2021 22:22:23 20,631 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think you just need an nhs number.
  • TheSaint 8 Apr 2021 22:24:21 20,631 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But get some photo id and make your life easier.
  • X201 8 Apr 2021 22:25:18 21,627 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:

Is there a way to get the vaccine without being registered at a GP?
    Yes, but you have to wait for them to contact you.
    Theyíre actively searching for people who arenít registered.
  • Malek86 9 Apr 2021 06:07:34 11,965 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    With the news that AZ should only be given to over 60s, I guess my turn in the queue is gonna get even further behind.

It's funny because workers unions literally yesterday signed a contract allowing workplaces to vaccinate their employee on a voluntary basis, and today the PM said "stop vaccinating under 60s because we need to open up again".

Nevermind the fact that in several regions, people are starting to be afraid of the vaccine and attendance is falling, with many shots simply going wasted (the no vax crowd is probably having a field day).

I guessed this vaccination program was going to be a mess, but this is even worse than I expected.

Edited by Malek86 at 06:08:32 09-04-2021
  • beastmaster 9 Apr 2021 06:34:43 22,082 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Why if itís so dangerous are they giving it to older people and not younger?
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Apr 2021 06:37:27 14,118 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where's my fucking vaccine?!
  • THFourteen 9 Apr 2021 06:53:28 54,511 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tories ate it
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2021 08:22:34 99,019 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @drhickman1983 did they not automatically move you to another surgery? That's what happened when my GP closed. You could express a preference but if you didn't, they just moved you to one with capacity
  • Trafford 9 Apr 2021 08:28:10 9,201 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
  • drhickman1983 9 Apr 2021 08:36:44 7,511 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @drhickman1983 did they not automatically move you to another surgery? That's what happened when my GP closed. You could express a preference but if you didn't, they just moved you to one with capacity
    If they did that didn't tell me. Only found out it had shut when I looked into it with the impending vaccine in mind. Tbh I haven't been to a GP in many, many years now, and had never even been to that GP after registering.
  • Trafford 9 Apr 2021 08:51:24 9,201 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The news has really pissed me off this week, with all the controversies about vaccines.
    I suppose I could call my health centre and whine my way up the queue but it's not my style. Rather wait my turn and have the occasional vent on here.
    For all I know I might have a condition, like cholesterol, fat liver or good aids. But I've never been tested for anything having been blessed with good health despite having it large with my body for over 30 years.

I know I've done my bit with isolating and will be really pissed off if I catch it now. A couple of maskless idiots in the supermarket yesterday got right in my space. Had to bite my tongue.
  • TheSaint 9 Apr 2021 08:51:27 20,631 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Imagine if a tool existed that would let you find any of the hundreds maybe even thousands of articles that would answer this for you.
  • askew 9 Apr 2021 08:56:19 23,205 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    lmgtfy
  • X201 9 Apr 2021 08:59:55 21,627 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    New Tory policy, you need photo ID

No Union Jack
    No vaccine
  • General_Martok 9 Apr 2021 09:08:55 2,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Imagine if a tool existed that would let you find any of the hundreds maybe even thousands of articles that would answer this for you.
    Imagine if you could just look at the previous thread of this very thread and get the answer! 😊
  • Rogueywon 9 Apr 2021 09:21:16 11,530 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    To save some time, the pertinent slides are here.

The risk assessment methodology compares the chance of a seriously harmful reaction to the vaccine to the chances of an intensive care admission due to Covid, across different age ranges and Covid infection levels.

What it shows - on slide 2 - is that with the comparatively low infection levels in the UK by late March, the risks of the vaccine slightly outweigh the risks of Covid in the 20-29 age range. In all other age ranges - and in all age ranges in the other infection rate levels on slides 3 and 4 - the risk of Covid is significantly higher than the risks from the vaccine.

It's a pretty rational piece of risk analysis. JCVI have acknowledged that the "benefits" side are possibly under-stated by considering only intensive care admissions, rather than "long Covid", but as a decision-making tool, it's still decent.

It does make me wonder why so many countries with infection rates that are currently much higher than the UK's are banning the jab for all under 60s. That looks like a very poor risk judgement.
  • AceGrace 9 Apr 2021 09:38:45 3,436 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can you mix vaccines?

My first one jab was the Astra Zenicca

If they are going to limit it to over 60's then my second dose would be something else wouldn't it?
  • Lukus 9 Apr 2021 09:40:10 24,375 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think they've already said those who have had the first dose of AZ will get the second.
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2021 09:40:13 99,019 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sounds like it's under 30s who will be offered alternatives here. Malek isn't in the UK I don't think.
  • AceGrace 9 Apr 2021 09:44:22 3,436 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah OK. Cheers
  • Rogueywon 9 Apr 2021 09:51:03 11,530 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For what it's worth - and again small sample size - my mum was doing AZ jabs all day yesterday and the level of cancellations and no-shows was no higher than before the weekend news (which is to say, very low). A few people asking questions before their jab, but nobody refusing it.
  • LFace 9 Apr 2021 10:00:41 175 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    43 today. Mr Boris, can I have a vaccine sir. I've been ever so good.
  • Dirt3 9 Apr 2021 10:16:38 1,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    To save some time, the pertinent slides are here.

The risk assessment methodology compares the chance of a seriously harmful reaction to the vaccine to the chances of an intensive care admission due to Covid, across different age ranges and Covid infection levels.

What it shows - on slide 2 - is that with the comparatively low infection levels in the UK by late March, the risks of the vaccine slightly outweigh the risks of Covid in the 20-29 age range. In all other age ranges - and in all age ranges in the other infection rate levels on slides 3 and 4 - the risk of Covid is significantly higher than the risks from the vaccine.

It's a pretty rational piece of risk analysis. JCVI have acknowledged that the "benefits" side are possibly under-stated by considering only intensive care admissions, rather than "long Covid", but as a decision-making tool, it's still decent.

It does make me wonder why so many countries with infection rates that are currently much higher than the UK's are banning the jab for all under 60s. That looks like a very poor risk judgement.
    The fatality rate amongst younger people is probably significantly over reported, due to the number of asymptomatic cases and non reported cases in that age group, so confidence in the stats is low.

There is also the issue of how the ban is determined. Normally with a drug you would determine the risk to the individual in isolation of all other considerations, but maybe for covid the availability of alternative treatments is being considered. To the headlines though, they are all bans regardless of the nuances.
  • Trowel 9 Apr 2021 10:20:42 24,355 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/is-it-true/is-it-true-can-covid-19-vaccines-connect-me-to-the-internet

Can COVID-19 vaccines connect me to the internet?

COVID-19 vaccines do not Ė and cannot Ė connect you to the internet.
    😞
  • Jono62 9 Apr 2021 10:23:56 26,845 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @longpointgreen You could have just said Doctor.
  • Decks 9 Apr 2021 10:29:22 29,725 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can you just go full on crazy already please longpoint, I'm bored this morning.
  • Trafford 9 Apr 2021 10:32:31 9,201 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was it Doctor Quinn, the medicine woman?
  • Dirt3 9 Apr 2021 10:37:12 1,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    longpointgreen wrote:
    AceGrace wrote:
    Can you mix vaccines?

My first one jab was the Astra Zenicca

If they are going to limit it to over 60's then my second dose would be something else wouldn't it?
    It is advised not to mix Covid vaccines. Atleast that's what a female doctor stated on TV the other day via a video link
    I don't think there have been any studies done on the effects of mixing the vaccines.

It might be a consideration if the vaccines were publicly available but they aren't.

What does "advisable not" actually mean. Does it mean mixing vaccines will not protect against covid, does it mean that it will induce potentially dangerous side effects, or does it mean "advisable not" because no one knows what the outcome will be ?
  • Rogueywon 9 Apr 2021 10:55:52 11,530 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    The fatality rate amongst younger people is probably significantly over reported, due to the number of asymptomatic cases and non reported cases in that age group, so confidence in the stats is low.
    Umm... what? They're using the ONS survey data for incidence rates. I'm part of that ONS study and it involves a monthly Covid test. Asymptomatic cases are being picked up.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.