Following Coronavirus Page 1201

  • glo 15 Apr 2021 15:56:14 3,736 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @Rogueywon Glad to read your Dad is okay. I hope they refused the impatient prick his jab and sent him packing?
    They should have called the police and charged the fucker with assault
  • General_Martok 15 Apr 2021 15:58:56 2,212 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    1300 babies have died from this in Brazil apparently. Looks like the ol' herd immunity route would have been a lot of fun.
    Apparently, the Brazilian variant is hitting the younger age groups hard. On the radio this morning they mentioned that baby stat and the fact that ICUs are packed with people under forty.

    If that starts to take hold here then we'll be back to square one.
    That might be because of the sheer volume of infections in the country. Still shit. This is why the WHO are right in saying no one is safe until everyone is safe.
  • Decks 15 Apr 2021 16:01:09 29,821 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dont think it is just down to volume. Apparently 52% of people in ICU are under 40.
  • Rogueywon 15 Apr 2021 16:22:39 11,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    glo wrote:
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @Rogueywon Glad to read your Dad is okay. I hope they refused the impatient prick his jab and sent him packing?
    They should have called the police and charged the fucker with assault
    I'll ask the parents what happened later. I can't imagine they vaccinated the guy today, but suspect he'll be offered another appointment. It's entirely possible they'll involve the police this time. For previous incidents, they've chosen not to as they don't want media coverage (even if it's just the local paper) etc for this sort of thing, but I think today's may have been a bit more serious.
  • KD 15 Apr 2021 16:41:26 3,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Went to my local country park, had my jab in The Orangery and last time I was at the place was a lovely wedding in August 2019, strange seeing it as it is but can appreciate the massive effort to ochange the place.

    Best waiting room ever.
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2021 19:07:28 70,079 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wife had vaccine (AZ) today. The person doing the injections said not to worry but to look out for chest tightness etc.

    The pamphlet has been updated to talk about certain types of headaches, how to notice stroke symptoms and the like. Unnerving, but good to know what to look for as these potential side effects can definitely be treated if caught.
  • Rogueywon 15 Apr 2021 19:41:08 11,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Parents called me from the car as they were headed home. My dad's fine - he'll have a bruise but no more. The main injury was to his pride - he's not happy about being knocked over by a "five-foot-nothing bag of piss" (his words).

    The scrote didn't get his jab - he did a runner when my dad went down. Slightly depressingly, apparenty stuff like this happens often enough at vaccination centres that there's a policy for it. He'll be offered another slot for a jab, but it'll be at one of the big mass-vaccination centres (probably the Etihad) where they have professional security as well as volunteer marshals. They'll get a warning that he's kicked off once already.

    They've contacted the police this time - it's more serious than their previous incidents and a line needs to be drawn. They've got his name and address, several other people in the queue are happy to be witnesses and apparently there's phone footage.

    The whole thing held up vaccination by half an hour, which as they were already running a bit late, meant that staff and volunteers who should have been wrapping up at 6PM ended up there until almost 7PM.
  • askew 15 Apr 2021 20:06:40 23,262 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    If that starts to take hold here then we'll be back to square one.
    Hope not. The Brazillian strain has had a nice little outbreak in Whistler, Canada – and they've been unable to figure who brought it in.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Apr 2021 20:32:39 30,322 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Due to some ongoing issues with my domestic situation I think I'll be moving back to my dad's for a bit.

    Do feel a bit bad about this but not really sure what else I can do. He's been vaccinated twice and I'll absolutely seek to keep my social circle non-existent

    But for my mental health I think I need to. Also physical health, given that my housemate threatened to kill me in her most recent meltdown. Perhaps it's a bit a serious threat but not sure I want to risk her entering another heightened emotional state and losing control.
    Maybe worth getting yourself a test for added peace of mind before going to dad's place.
    Tell me more about how you think the vacine might be useless.
    WTF are you on about?
    The vaccine is anything but useless, it makes it very unlikely his dad will get the virus and even less likely his dad would become properly ill if he did get it. However, it doesn't make it impossible and he expressed wariness about it.
  • X201 15 Apr 2021 21:58:48 21,643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

    The pamphlet has been updated to talk about certain types of headaches, how to notice stroke symptoms and the like. Unnerving, but good to know what to look for as these potential side effects can definitely be treated if caught.
    Also, if you are unlucky enough to be the one in one million to get one of the clots, you’ll have the best people in the country on your case.
    All occurrences of this clot are being referred to a panel of haematology experts who meet daily and advise on the best treatment for patients.


    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v2x4
  • dfunked09 15 Apr 2021 22:03:45 2,001 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Maybe we should start calling them "freedom globs" instead to increase take up...
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2021 22:35:39 70,079 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Also, if you are unlucky enough to be the one in one million to get one of the clots, you’ll have the best people in the country on your case.
    All occurrences of this clot are being referred to a panel of haematology experts who meet daily and advise on the best treatment for patients.


    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v2x4
    Neat. When I had my blood clots (not vaccine related, past history!) all I got were a bunch of stomach injections then some particularly annoying pills to take.
  • Stuz359 15 Apr 2021 22:41:43 429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In this country, there has been so much disinformation about vaccines stretching back to the MMR furore.

    The guy who raised that concern, whose research was thoroughly debunked, dated Elle Macpherson.

    Which I would say thoroughly and scientifically disproves Karma.
  • GrandpaUlrira 15 Apr 2021 23:01:53 3,874 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KD wrote:
    Went to my local country park, had my jab in The Orangery and last time I was at the place was a lovely wedding in August 2019, strange seeing it as it is but can appreciate the massive effort to ochange the place.

    Best waiting room ever.
    A bit random, but was it Margam Park?
  • KD 15 Apr 2021 23:04:59 3,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @GrandpaUlrira Yep
  • GrandpaUlrira 15 Apr 2021 23:08:54 3,874 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hah. I don't live in Swansea anymore, but my parents told me they were offered a jab there, and figured there can't be that many locations with an orangery!
  • dfunked09 15 Apr 2021 23:14:56 2,001 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Can't help but feel a little let down if my vaccination centre ends up only having a shitty old conservatory.
  • X201 15 Apr 2021 23:28:47 21,643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mine had the film set for Peaky Blinders
  • Rogueywon 15 Apr 2021 23:54:17 11,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stuz359 wrote:
    In this country, there has been so much disinformation about vaccines stretching back to the MMR furore.

    The guy who raised that concern, whose research was thoroughly debunked, dated Elle Macpherson.

    Which I would say thoroughly and scientifically disproves Karma.
    I think we benefitted, though, from having that twat Wakefield so publicly debunked. He got absolutely - and rightly - dragged through the wringer in the UK. Not sure how much of that reporting will have spread internationally. Comparatively speaking, we have very, very low rates of vaccine hesitancy and vaccine refusal.

    The cynic in me suspects that this is also because if you want to get the British public to want something, you need to get the president of France and the president of the European Commission to tell them not to. Perhaps we could get Macron to record a short message on why hanging bags of dogshit from trees is a good thing, and Von Der Leyen to do a message promoting fare evasion on public transport.

    But regardless, there's not actually much vaccine refusal here. Tiny sample size, but... the centre my mum's working at was managing about a 90% acceptance rate before the blood clots story broke. Since it broke... it's managing around a 90% acceptance rate. They're almost entirely doing AZ this month as well - no Pfizer deliveries scheduled now until 10 May (but 7,000 AZ doses in the fridge and they can do 1,000 on a good day).
  • KD 15 Apr 2021 23:56:23 3,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    http://www.margamorangery.com/17300

    Edited by KD at 23:59:40 15-04-2021
  • Psychotext 16 Apr 2021 11:57:23 70,079 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've cycled around there, is quite a pretty area.

    Edit - Ugh, clearly not just an issue for "younger" women.

    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/16/australia-records-first-fatality-from-blood-clots-linked-to-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

    Edited by Psychotext at 13:08:29 16-04-2021
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Apr 2021 14:20:52 33,777 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just booked in for my vaccine tomorrow. Winner.

    Being old finally pays dividends.
  • Dirt3 16 Apr 2021 17:39:26 1,625 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Stuz359 wrote:
    In this country, there has been so much disinformation about vaccines stretching back to the MMR furore.

    The guy who raised that concern, whose research was thoroughly debunked, dated Elle Macpherson.

    Which I would say thoroughly and scientifically disproves Karma.
    I think we benefitted, though, from having that twat Wakefield so publicly debunked. He got absolutely - and rightly - dragged through the wringer in the UK. Not sure how much of that reporting will have spread internationally. Comparatively speaking, we have very, very low rates of vaccine hesitancy and vaccine refusal.

    The cynic in me suspects that this is also because if you want to get the British public to want something, you need to get the president of France and the president of the European Commission to tell them not to. Perhaps we could get Macron to record a short message on why hanging bags of dogshit from trees is a good thing, and Von Der Leyen to do a message promoting fare evasion on public transport.

    But regardless, there's not actually much vaccine refusal here. Tiny sample size, but... the centre my mum's working at was managing about a 90% acceptance rate before the blood clots story broke. Since it broke... it's managing around a 90% acceptance rate. They're almost entirely doing AZ this month as well - no Pfizer deliveries scheduled now until 10 May (but 7,000 AZ doses in the fridge and they can do 1,000 on a good day).
    90% takeup rate in the over 50s is pretty consistent with what the Beeb says, in fact they say slightly higher average around 95% in th over 50s.

    Really the refusal rate in the UK is pretty small.

    France is a bit scary. In earlier surveys about 50% of people were saying they would refuse. Hopefully that has changed with the recent developments.
  • Rogueywon 16 Apr 2021 19:49:58 11,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dirt3 The centre my parents are working at is in an area with a demographic more tilted towards vaccine hesitancy. That they're still at 90% isn't bad at all. They passed 35k jabs administered this week.

    I suspect the French situation won't be as bad as the polling suggests. Polling always seems to over-state vaccine hesitancy (there's data on this going back years). Some people will say they don't want the vaccine as a general statement that they don't like the government/needles/capitalism/the local council etc, but they'll usually still get it in the end.
  • Nitrous 16 Apr 2021 20:10:05 2,260 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:Some people will say they don't want the vaccine as a general statement that they don't like the government/needles/capitalism/the local council etc, but they'll usually still get it in the end.
    Ha that's me. I'll get it but I don't like needles especially if it's going to be painful.
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2021 22:56:29 99,139 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mine was as painless as it gets. The injection I had in my shoulder, less so. That stang a bit
  • Rogueywon 16 Apr 2021 22:57:35 11,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Didn't even feel mine. I've got a needle phobia, but have learned to control it over the years (had to have a shedload of blood tests a few years back). The nurse was commendably quick with my jab - over before I even noticed it.
  • Psychotext 17 Apr 2021 19:55:41 70,079 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Crazy to think that we're seeing worldwide daily cases get to a new high. A reminder that this isn't just about the Western world.
  • eleven63 17 Apr 2021 22:50:06 2,928 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The reason the Jab, AZ, can be more painful - than, say, a flu jab - is that's it needs to be administered for no less than 5 seconds. Slow by usual standards and in a particular part of your shoulder.

    A friend of ours is volunteering.

    I thought it was painful, compared to my flu Jab last November.
  • Psychotext 18 Apr 2021 00:40:02 70,079 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Everyone I've spoken to has barely felt it. Was the same for me.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.