Following Coronavirus Page 1217

• Darth_Flibble 3 May 2021 15:38:00 5,217 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    #TakeoffYourMask trending and some of the comments are just asking for another wave.
    probably either old gammons that had both 2 shots or "open everything now/anti mask types" crowd
  • RGeefe 3 May 2021 15:56:09 1,981 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw the Thomas Cook bloke on telly today. What I don't get is this - 17th May you can fuck off to another country but you still have to wait a month to sit inside a UK pub?

That seems absolutely backwards to me
  • Rogueywon 3 May 2021 15:58:51 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Saw the Thomas Cook bloke on telly today. What I don't get is this - 17th May you can fuck off to another country but you still have to wait a month to sit inside a UK pub?

That seems absolutely backwards to me
    Ignore Thomas Cook bloke - he's in full on twat mode at the moment, making pronouncements like "all of Europe will be on the green list for summer", which are completely out of his control.

He's just trying to get people to make bookings now to get some cash in the bank. Once he's got it, he's going to do everything possible to avoid refunding it if the trip can't happen.

Full expect the green list announced on 17 May to be pretty tiny: Israel, Malta, maybe Portugal and a couple of others. Plus lots of other tourist destinations like the US have closed their own borders to visitors anyway.
  • SolidSCB 3 May 2021 16:01:50 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What I ask you, hasn't been backwards about this whole thing from the start?

I still find it funny that "A Pint" is even the compass by which we're all being led in the first place. As if that industry wasn't being buttfucked into submission before all this shit bar a chain or two anyway.
  • Darth_Flibble 3 May 2021 16:21:05 5,217 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The easy jet boss mouth breather was demanding all of europe to be on the green list as well
  • richardiox 3 May 2021 16:24:54 9,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Amazing how the titans of industry (and various neoliberal Twitter scum) have become masters of epidemiology and disease control. And amazing how many of these cretins still haven't grasped we're still in a global SARS pandemic that is really fucking nasty.

They'll grasp at straws chasing every narrative other than the most obvious one - namely that there's a raging pandemic taking place that humanity is struggling to control.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 May 2021 16:34:33 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Abandoning all social distancing in June feels like a risk when other countries are absolutely blowing up with new outbreaks
  • Darth_Flibble 3 May 2021 17:10:23 5,217 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I would love to book 2 weeks away in sri lanka, bali or Vietnam again (my trip last year was a bit disrupted in early march) but I know its not going to happen due to new outbreaks. A holiday in the UK, would rather stay at home tbh
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 May 2021 18:14:31 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Weíre looking at a slate of days out from home and maybe a couple of overnights but no extended break for the Maybes.

Admittedly living in Northumberland gives us pretty good access to the outdoors, countryside, hikes, beaches etc so weíre not going to be hurting for escapes and things to do
  • Blackmarsh63 3 May 2021 18:18:07 4,119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RGeefe I was under the impression you can have a beer inside from May 17th ?
  • richardiox 3 May 2021 18:20:29 9,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yep, another year of struggle to use up all my annual leave. Got 42 days to take thanks to rolling over 7 from last year. Would have had way more if I didn't take two weeks off in March to move house
  • RGeefe 3 May 2021 18:45:23 1,981 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just sit on your arse and do nothing. I haven't worked full time in 3 years. Days off I just piss about.

NB - I have no children or pets.
  • chopsen 3 May 2021 18:45:40 21,884 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Abandoning all social distancing in June feels like a risk when other countries are absolutely blowing up with new outbreaks
    It's a risk even allowing for how many we've vaccinated.

We've got 33m out of 66m who have had their first dose. If we take the optimistic view that it's ~85% effective, then that's about 42% of the population vaccinated. Assuming a R0 (remember that?) of ~3.5+ then you need at least ~71% of the population to non susceptible to prevent exponential growth.

People are attributing the fall in cases to the vaccine roll out, ignoring the fact we've been in lockdown now for.....6 months is it?
  • X201 3 May 2021 18:54:51 21,643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    4 months. It started at the beginning on January after the Christmas debacle had sown the seeds
  • General_Martok 3 May 2021 19:38:34 2,212 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah we'd have to be extremely thick to allow all social distancing to end in June.

We need to have some restrictions in place until most of Europe atleast has extremely low levels of infection.
  • Youthist 3 May 2021 20:21:06 14,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    It's a risk even allowing for how many we've vaccinated.

We've got 33m out of 66m who have had their first dose. If we take the optimistic view that it's ~85% effective, then that's about 42% of the population vaccinated. Assuming a R0 (remember that?) of ~3.5+ then you need at least ~71% of the population to non susceptible to prevent exponential growth.

People are attributing the fall in cases to the vaccine roll out, ignoring the fact we've been in lockdown now for.....6 months is it?
    Isnít it all though down the fact they know the cases will go up but the majority of the age groups who die have now had at least one shot so we will hit an acceptable death level vs remaining locked down / remaining with restrictions ?
  • Rogueywon 3 May 2021 20:36:50 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I suspect the continued (slight) decline in cases even after the shops re-opened is at least partly down to a vaccine effect. Masks and a bit of social distancing are probably here to stay, but there's a chance we may get away with indoor hospitality re-opening in a couple of weeks.

International travel still makes me very nervous. If you look around Europe, Malta and Portugal seem to have their case rates under control, but France is still in scary territory (and their government no longer seems to care) and a lot of the other popular holiday spots look dicey at best. Of course, they'll be a lot further along on vaccinations by the time we hit peak holiday season in July.

And... small sample size... they've got the delivery schedule for the next few weeks at the vaccination centre my parents are working at. This week is still a bit thin - deliveries at the same levels as April, so a good bit of AZ but not much else. But from next week, there's a lot of Pfizer due to flow in and that looks like it's turning into a steady flow. If that's replicated more widely, we should see the vaccination rate pick up again from the middle of the month.
  • Nazo 3 May 2021 20:56:48 1,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got the Pfizer today one to my surprise. Took over an hour at the centre though, my wife was in and out by the time Iíd turned the car around when she got hers.
    My arm is feeling a bit sore, nothing else so far though.
  • chopsen 3 May 2021 21:03:37 21,884 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Youthist wrote:

Isnít it all though down the fact they know the cases will go up but the majority of the age groups who die have now had at least one shot so we will hit an acceptable death level vs remaining locked down / remaining with restrictions ?
    That's the theory. What is an "acceptable" death rate is politically untested.

What I mean is that we will see 3rd wave, because there is still the capacity for exponential growth. If that comes from a reservoir of domestic cases or foreign travel is sort of irrelevant. For as long as the effective R rate is above 1, we will have exponential growth.

The numbers of deaths and admissions will be lower if the higher risks are vaccinated. It might be younger age groups we see more symptomatic cases in absolute numbers.

Edited by chopsen at 21:05:00 03-05-2021
  • Decks 3 May 2021 21:12:54 29,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck all appointments round here now. It's trying to get me to drive 60 miles to the Lake District.
  • ChuChuRkt 3 May 2021 21:17:07 72 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Decks is that going through the NHS Covid site? I had the same issue but hung on until I got the text from my GP which let me book around the corner. So you may want to just hold on.
  • Decks 3 May 2021 21:19:02 29,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I definitely will be, fuck driving to the lakes.
  • SnowmanRR 3 May 2021 21:53:43 272 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChuChuRkt How long was it before you got a text from your GP? Iíve got the NHS one but like Decks, no appointments anywhere near.
  • Nazo 3 May 2021 22:15:55 1,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Our GP isnít doing the vaccine, I donít think itís a cert youíll get one
  • chopsen 3 May 2021 22:23:56 21,884 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Your GP will have signed up for a contract to do it, or not. If you ask them they will tell you.

Deliveries are ad-hoc, unpredictable in number and type (seem to get about a week's notice). So they can't tell you when you'll be vaccinated most probably.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 May 2021 22:29:44 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Fuck all appointments round here now. It's trying to get me to drive 60 miles to the Lake District.
    Seriously? I was just thinking how convenient that vaccine site near Cramlington shops would be when I get the call
  • ChuChuRkt 3 May 2021 22:31:47 72 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SnowmanRR Once over 50s were eligible I tried the NHS appointment service and didn't like the closest ones, so I waited a few days, tried again, no change. Called the provided number. Just for a girl to tell me that all she did was check the same NHS site, as she was there for helping people who didn't have Internet access. But also said that new appointments opened up weekly and to keep trying. 2 days later I got my GP notification.
  • Trafford 4 May 2021 07:02:41 9,211 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was messing around on the NHS website when I booked mine. Had been checking it intermittently for a week.
    A day later it was announced on the news that the 45-49 age bracket had opened up for booking.
    Day after that I got a text.
    Two days after that a postal invite dropped on the mat.
  • Psychotext 4 May 2021 12:05:06 70,079 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    @RGeefe I was under the impression you can have a beer inside from May 17th ?
    You will be able to, yes. I've got a number of places booked for an anniversary trip I'm taking around the 20th.
  • Dougs 4 May 2021 12:26:42 99,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's rule of 6/2 households etc still though innit. I think.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.