Coronavirus Page 1260

• drhickman1983 9 Jun 2021 08:12:39 7,589 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd say that's fair enough.
  • glo 9 Jun 2021 08:16:17 3,750 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Drakesmoke - not at all. If you don't want to deal with these arseholes then don't. I've given up trying to reason with them or see their point of view any more.
  • sport 9 Jun 2021 08:18:44 16,927 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can't deny his right to procurement. The sale is done.
  • Load_2.0 9 Jun 2021 08:30:15 33,271 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Plus if you read FB rules on sale of musical instruments you have to play him a ballad of his choosing.
  • RGeefe 9 Jun 2021 08:47:25 2,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did a similar thing earlier this year. Just send him a message saying that's great but you'd like a bank transfer so you don't have to handle cash and to ensure both of you are wearing masks. Maybe say "I've had one/ two jabs just to make sure but as you're in a high case area can you let me know your status?"
  • elstoof 9 Jun 2021 08:53:06 27,430 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maybe heís just worried the microchips will affect the pickups
  • Drakesmoke 9 Jun 2021 09:28:09 813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the advice all, sometimes when you are surrounded by this madness you feel you're the one in the wrong. I'm thinking about pulling the thing due to the advice our area has had anyway.
  • KD 9 Jun 2021 09:28:44 3,430 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ask him about his thoughts on bluetooth and the 360 E.
  • Load_2.0 9 Jun 2021 10:33:45 33,271 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    Thanks for the advice all, sometimes when you are surrounded by this madness you feel you're the one in the wrong. I'm thinking about pulling the thing due to the advice our area has had anyway.
    Wanking can reduce stress levels.
  • Not-a-reviewer 9 Jun 2021 11:09:38 7,430 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    "of 12,383 cases of the Delta variant as of 3 June, 126 were admitted to hospital. Of those, 83 were unvaccinated, 28 had had one dose of vaccine and only three had both doses."

Guess we need to see the age breakdown of those to know if further delays to opening are likely.
    Itís just the problem of if this keeps increasing at the current rate then thatísa lot of people that will be exposed - more than before. It looks like the vaccines are doing a good job so far but thereís a lot that havenít had it/canít have it and we donít know if that immunity fades over time.

Hopefully this stays in line with these numbers and then it really will be about as deadly as the flu. Schools etc will need to rethink their policy about quarantining everyone if one person has it though.

Iím more optimistic than I was but would prefer them to delay so called Ďfreedom dayí and keep some of the restrictions about distancing and masks.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jun 2021 11:53:15 18,197 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My old team at work had a leaving do night out for one of the staff on at the start of half-term. Theyíre now all either sick or in self-isolation.
  • Dougs 9 Jun 2021 12:05:11 99,627 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Not-a-reviewer aye. I think best case is that it's like the flu with the odd extra precaution. The hope was that any mutation might make it more transmissible but less serious. Not sure that's happening really.

@maybe. Good grief. Everything is fraught with difficulty.
  • themanfromdelmonte 9 Jun 2021 12:18:00 768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If the 40% more transmissible figure for the Delta variant is accurate then I think it's probably quite likely that it's now a less deadly strain. We'd have moved from a reproduction rate of around 3, to 5.5 +. Doing that without a shift in how aggressive the disease is seems unlikely to me. But with vaccinations, better treatments and controls, we'll likely never have actual data. And it's not a narrative I'd want to reach the wrong ears.
  • Dougs 9 Jun 2021 12:22:10 99,627 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Indeed. Vaccines and other measures make it difficult to ascertain if it's less deadly or not. Best to be on the safe side and assume it's as deadly.
  • Not-a-reviewer 9 Jun 2021 12:23:55 7,430 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deadliness doesnít have any correlation with transmissibility, itís a different part of the virus. It may or may not be worse.

Edit: maybe. Iím not an expert.

Edited by Not-a-reviewer at 12:25:12 09-06-2021
  • THFourteen 9 Jun 2021 12:36:49 54,683 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    My old team at work had a leaving do night out for one of the staff on at the start of half-term. Theyíre now all either sick or in self-isolation.
    I went out with 3 mates a couple of weeks ago, and one of them asked if the rest of us would mind doing a lateral flow before we came out on the day.

Thought that was a great idea, a bit like asking people to do up their seatbelt if they dont when you're driving.
  • Rogueywon 9 Jun 2021 12:49:01 11,963 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There's no hard link between deadliness and transmissability. The theory that strains which cause less serious symptoms will become dominant over time is essentially predicated on two things:

1) That people with less serious symptoms will continue to circulate socially and spread the virus more than people who are bedridden (or dead).
    2) That public health interventions like vaccines and lockdowns will be deployed less should the dominant strain be one that doesn't cause serious symptoms.

The first doesn't hold up brilliantly for Covid, because the little fucker has that whole "asymptomatic transmission" thing. One reason why Covid has spread so fast compared to flu is that people with flu know they have flu (and if it's proper flu, don't tend to feel like getting out of bed). The second may have more of an influence over time.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jun 2021 12:51:15 18,197 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Plus I suppose grimly, given the demographics of those who died eventually the number of potential likely casualties is going to fall too
  • Rogueywon 9 Jun 2021 12:53:41 11,963 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Only so far. The thing with old people is that, given you have a supply of young and middle aged people, there are more of them coming along all the time.

One factor that may work in our favour is that vaccinations and previous infections may, over time, give people a background level of antibody and t-cell resistance that reduces transmission and the seriousness of future infections.
  • richardiox 9 Jun 2021 14:33:02 9,840 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    "of 12,383 cases of the Delta variant as of 3 June, 126 were admitted to hospital. Of those, 83 were unvaccinated, 28 had had one dose of vaccine and only three had both doses."

Guess we need to see the age breakdown of those to know if further delays to opening are likely.
    Itís just the problem of if this keeps increasing at the current rate then thatísa lot of people that will be exposed - more than before. It looks like the vaccines are doing a good job so far but thereís a lot that havenít had it/canít have it and we donít know if that immunity fades over time.

Hopefully this stays in line with these numbers and then it really will be about as deadly as the flu. Schools etc will need to rethink their policy about quarantining everyone if one person has it though.

Iím more optimistic than I was but would prefer them to delay so called Ďfreedom dayí and keep some of the restrictions about distancing and masks.
    Like the flu but I'd like to know how ill you still get even after full vaccination. It seems it stops serious illness but do you end up bed ridden for a week? And the insane transmissibility means it's not really "like the flu" as although through vaccines it'll be less deadly, way more people will catch it way more often. The R number of Delta is like 5x that of the flu if we have a fully open society...so again, all hopes pinned on vaccines pulling the R number down as much as possible.

I'm not keen on a society where if you go into a crowd you stand a pretty good chance of picking up a nasty flu all year round. It's also not good for schools and the economy as people will still need to self isolate every time they catch Covid.
  • Your-Mother 9 Jun 2021 14:46:47 7,655 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    Edit: maybe. Iím not an expert.
    Lucky for you we have a thread jam packed with them here.
  • glo 9 Jun 2021 15:54:21 3,750 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    richardiox wrote:

Like the flu but I'd like to know how ill you still get even after full vaccination. It seems it stops serious illness but do you end up bed ridden for a week? And the insane transmissibility means it's not really "like the flu" as although through vaccines it'll be less deadly, way more people will catch it way more often. The R number of Delta is like 5x that of the flu if we have a fully open society...so again, all hopes pinned on vaccines pulling the R number down as much as possible.

I'm not keen on a society where if you go into a crowd you stand a pretty good chance of picking up a nasty flu all year round. It's also not good for schools and the economy as people will still need to self isolate every time they catch Covid.
    This, along with the possibility of long covid, is also a concern I share. Anecdotally, on a more positive note, my elderly father caught covid, along with the other residents on his floor in the care home, after receiving two doses of the pfizer vaccine. None of them got sick and only a couple even developed a cough. It was only the regular testing they receive that picked it up at all. Should note though that this was the alpha variant so not sure if vaccines would protect as well against delta.
  • Lukus 9 Jun 2021 16:27:12 24,460 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone happen to know what the protocol is for someone (family member, not me!) who has had their first dose (AZ) but has missed their second dose and gone over twelve weeks (due to circumstances outside of their control)?
  • askew 9 Jun 2021 16:40:15 23,542 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Let me knowÖ
  • beastmaster 9 Jun 2021 16:51:04 22,170 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Foo Fighters doing a full capacity gig at Madison Square Garden in June.

COVID cannot complete with the POWAH OF ROCK!!!
  • KD 9 Jun 2021 16:52:55 3,430 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Covid gotta pay the Grohl Toll
  • RGeefe 9 Jun 2021 16:55:41 2,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    That just seems like really bad luck
  • Your-Mother 9 Jun 2021 17:00:50 7,655 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Foo Fighters doing a full capacity gig at Madison Square Garden in June.

COVID cannot complete with the POWAH OF ROCK!!!
    Probably worth mentioning it has a vaccination requirement for entry.
  • RGeefe 9 Jun 2021 17:13:41 2,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is someone putting the vax, the vax, the vax in you?
  • Rogueywon 9 Jun 2021 20:24:40 11,963 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Anyone happen to know what the protocol is for someone (family member, not me!) who has had their first dose (AZ) but has missed their second dose and gone over twelve weeks (due to circumstances outside of their control)?
    Checked with my mother, who's doing the jabs. Just book it ASAP - no need to repeat the first dose or anything. If your family member can find their local vaccination centre and ask which days they're doing the AZs, they can almost certainly just turn up on the day and get one - there's a big over-supply of AZ doses now and most centres are running out of people who need second doses.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.