Coronavirus Page 1355

• rockavitch 21 Jul 2021 17:24:49 1,287 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A lot of people having a go at the under 40s in NI for not getting their jabs are forgetting a large number of that are 0-17 who aren't entitled to be jabbed, also I'm part of the 35-39 age group and I only got my second jab a fortnight ago and even then I got it a week before that age group were eligible so most people 18-39 wouldn't have had their second jab simply because they aren't eligible for it yet.

Edit: Not going to name the company I work for but it's one of the main cleaning companies over here and we've currently got the area manager and even the regional manager out doing standard cleaning because so many of us are off due to positive results that we don't even have enough cover workers to pick up the slack. I can't imagine we are the only cleaning company with that issue. I can tell you now though that's the fault of the office workers and civil service people we clean after because they are mostly on the older group and have stopped giving a shit about everyone else because they are double jabbed so whatever.

Edited by rockavitch at 17:29:11 21-07-2021
  • X201 21 Jul 2021 17:30:06 22,094 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not like Northern Ireland to divide into two camps and hurl blame.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Jul 2021 17:34:01 19,729 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently there’s a big issue with 35-50 year old men in the north east jab dodging

I got my first in May and got knocked back when I tried to get my second
  • eleven63 21 Jul 2021 17:35:31 3,036 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Relatively encouraging to see the cases aren't much higher today. NI the only part of the UK that's up significantly vs last week.
    True. But in our part of East London, and surrounding boroughs, seeing a 30-40% increase in cases compared to 7 days ago...
  • Wayne 21 Jul 2021 18:18:22 3,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Not like Northern Ireland to divide into two camps and hurl blame.
    Yeeeeeeeooooooooooooo!
  • beastmaster 21 Jul 2021 20:03:30 22,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Manchester Pride weekend has been cancelled. Fully expect more events to follow.
  • THFourteen 21 Jul 2021 20:30:20 54,901 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Someone at work's tested positive, done my lateral flow test (negative) and just done a PCR but either way I need to isolate for at least ten days.

Week off next week completely up in the air, sigh :(
    Can’t remember if you have kids or not.

If not, time for a JRPG :-)
  • Decks 21 Jul 2021 20:58:00 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Probably best he doesn't have kids if he's into JRPG.
  • Saul_Iscariot 21 Jul 2021 20:59:37 4,383 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If he doesn’t have a partner either, then ten days isolation is a lot of tissues and/or clean socks.
  • Rogueywon 21 Jul 2021 23:53:47 12,260 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I got 20 pages of guidance from HR today on our "return to the office" policy. A couple of months back, we were told that this would be down to managers at my level to determine what worked for our areas. Technically it still is, but in reality, the HR guidance leaves little choice.

In short, don't require anybody to go back to the office unless there is an actual, physical need for them to be there (for instance, to access IT kit that has to be located there). If staff do want to be in the office, confirm with them via e-mail that it is their choice to do so. Do not, under any circumstances, ask staff formally or informally to delete or disable the NHS Covid app.

Most of the 20 pages is legal stuff. There are all kinds of liability issues in here. If a manager requires somebody to go into the office and that person has a holiday booked and gets pinged, there is an above 50% chance that they could require us to refund their holiday costs. There are further health liability risks if somebody is infected.

I wasn't planning to tell any of my lot they had to go in anyway. Some of them have been doing so for a while because working from home isn't good for them, and I'll have to get written confirmation from them that this is their own choice. But fascinating to see some of the legal advice on this.

Also, that client who's insisting on face to face meetings... we are happy to lose his organisation's business rather than take the liabilities, it seems.
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 00:06:47 142 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Quite a few of my thick cunt colleagues had never installed or deleted to the Covid app ages ago, due to teh freedumz.
  • alt-cmd-esc 22 Jul 2021 07:10:44 713 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't install the app, but nothing to do with freedom, more to do with it being Dido Harding's project and her track record with data protection. Having said that, I wouldn't need it in any case as I haven't been going anywhere like the pub etc.
  • darrenb 22 Jul 2021 07:33:35 1,176 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    We are still leaving work from home as a choice, but we aren't providing IT kit other than a laptop now for anyone that asks for bits to enable them to work from home. No more ink on expenses etc .
    Also, we have been asked to stop assisting users with means of connection when they have dodgy home internet.

There is an office available now and working from home is not mandatory and a choice.
  • RGeefe 22 Jul 2021 07:36:36 2,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never had the app. I've said before - I'm zero hours agency but on a good day rate. If I lose 10 days every time I am well and truly fucked. My job cannot be done from home and, having had to be on jobseekers under this government, I do not have any trust in them to follow through on any promises of isolation payment.

Don't jump to conclusions calling people thick cunts for making a very difficult decision that keeps food on their plate.
  • Blackmarsh63 22 Jul 2021 07:45:35 4,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably a lot of “thick cunts “ on here that don’t have the app for various reasons. Me included.
  • dfunked09 22 Jul 2021 07:51:42 2,255 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Even the Grauniad are getting in on the "Pingdemic" nonsense now. There are some valid reasons for uninstalling it or never installing it in the first place, but at the same time it serves a purpose (pretty poorly), so these knee jerk uninstalls thanks to the media aren't going to help things moving forward.
  • Dave_McCoy 22 Jul 2021 07:53:15 3,410 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Only just caught up with the fact that after August 19th we don't even have to isolate anymore. Really is fully opened up...I know it has to be done eventually but they are really putting a lot on vaccinations. The antivax crowd are going to have a few casualties.

Makes me a little anxious but...as said, I suppose it has to be done sometime. Might as well get ready to get a little Covid in the coming weeks.
  • Blackmarsh63 22 Jul 2021 08:07:20 4,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dave_McCoy Seems we’re running out of bog roll and petrol due to “ping gate” so that date may change . There’s already an exemption list due out later on apparently.
  • hedben2013 22 Jul 2021 08:16:44 2,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon that is indeed interesting. My place did an apparent U-Turn, going from "strongly encouraged" attendance in the office 2-3 days per week to "it's up to you and honestly, 1 or 2 days per month is probably fine". Wonder if they were reacting late to the risk of liability for illness, missed holidays etc
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 08:26:39 142 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    Probably a lot of “thick cunts “ on here that don’t have the app for various reasons. Me included.
    Username checks out.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Jul 2021 08:30:18 17,170 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Far too many people on my train coughing!

None of the fuckers are wearing masks either.
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 09:00:24 3,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Stats for the last few days is definitely not showing exponential growth.
  • richardiox 22 Jul 2021 09:03:13 10,062 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Wayne
    We're still in a period of significant exponential growth? It's either exponential growth or exponential decay and the numbers aren't coming down.

What you mean is that the rate of exponential growth has slowed. Rather than cases doubling every 12 days they are now doubling every 13 days. Woooohooo

Summer holidays for schools will be what hopefully moves us to exponential decay as seen over last two weeks in Scotland

https://twitter.com/BristOliver/status/1417869425563344903?s=19

What part of this isn't showing exponential growth?

Edited by richardiox at 09:05:52 22-07-2021
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 09:08:42 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The more I'm thinking about it the more I think this could be a fairly wise strategy, if and it's a pretty big if, we can avoid a mutation that gets round the vaccine. If we can get towards herd immunity by autumn we're going to be in a pretty good place. I've got a feeling a lot of places are going to be badly fucked come the winter looking at how things are starting to turn.
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 09:13:14 3,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Glad you've come round to my way of thinking Decks ;-)
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 09:14:46 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't recall saying "Guhhh why do I have to wear a mask. Guhhhh but I want to go dancing. Guhhh but what about me" but ok.
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 09:16:31 3,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I only recall saying one of those things tbh. :-)
  • Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 09:51:25 8,025 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The more I'm thinking about it the more I think this could be a fairly wise strategy, if and it's a pretty big if, we can avoid a mutation that gets round the vaccine. If we can get towards herd immunity by autumn we're going to be in a pretty good place. I've got a feeling a lot of places are going to be badly fucked come the winter looking at how things are starting to turn.
    The problem there is that herd immunity by natural infection is still very much an unknown even without mutation, it may be fleeting and vary from individual to individual, strain to strain, and may simply resolve to a stage of temporary cover from delta alone, leaving the door still open to alpha, beta, gamma, eta, iota, kappa and now lambda also appears to be on the rise. Based on the winter surge from last year coupled with flu and cold season it also seems to be mostly moot for when a health system gets overwhelmed - for the first time in ages, non-covid illnesses are actually trending up this summer. So “at least it isn’t overwhelming us in winter” may not matter from a clinical perspective.

Basically it’s not so much a “wise” strategy as it is a “roll the dice and hope and pray” one.
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 09:53:51 142 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Basically, all those without the Covid app on your phone, fuck you.
  • captbirdseye 22 Jul 2021 09:55:02 11,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My summer has basically involved my daughter bring home all kinds of glorious colds, coughs and whatever shit kids are supposed to get in the winter. Joy.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.