Coronavirus Page 1359

• Wayne 22 Jul 2021 16:17:40 3,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    39k today. Definitely starting to feel quite plateauy.
    I thought that, and got ripped to shreds. Maybe it was how I said it. /shrug
  • richardiox 22 Jul 2021 16:28:03 10,049 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • richardiox 22 Jul 2021 16:30:08 10,049 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • PickledShogun 22 Jul 2021 16:30:58 219 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @David_Richardson

If there's one certainty with the internet then it's that it breeds bullies, and this place is no exception. That said the likelihood of such a mindset expanding beyond these walls is highly unlikely, so for that we should be grateful.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 16:42:14 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have we done G4S can’t be trusted to not grope women in quarantine yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/22/lone-women-in-covid-quarantine-will-have-female-guards-where-possible
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 16:46:10 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Think the stories of shops running out of food will really blow up over the next few days. We been rationed to one case per item all week (independent supplies by nisa/co-op). Been told our ambient order will be the same tomorrow.

Mixture of pingdemic/brexit.
    I was surprised how bare the shelves were in the Co-op here this afternoon when they’d had no problem throughout any of this. Mostly fresh stuff like meat which they said they couldn’t get deliveries of.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a dry good and bogroll panic over the weekend now its hit the papers.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 16:50:24 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One of Mrs Maybe’s friends has gone full anti-vax this week. She’s furious that the government will cancel her pension and stop her going on foreign holidays without being forced to be part of this untested experiment.

She doesn’t work in the public sector.
  • Psychotext 22 Jul 2021 16:51:02 70,558 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When did most schools close in England? Could that be the reason for the reduced numbers? (kids make up about 20% of the total recently)
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 16:52:03 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some this week some next week.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 16:53:38 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    When did most schools close in England? Could that be the reason for the reduced numbers? (kids make up about 20% of the total recently)
    This is the first week of the holidays for the majority of English schools. Its the last week of term for others.

I wonder if the end of the Euros could be influencing the numbers - the peak last week would coincide roughly with the semis
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 16:55:18 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To me it's starting to look like this delta variant goes absolutely bananas for a bit and then kind of burns itself out quite quickly. The numbers in India are right down now and I don't think they've done much in the way of lockdowns.
  • SolidSCB 22 Jul 2021 16:56:20 16,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wonder if the heat is having a positive effect too? I can't even stand being within 2 metres of my own family indoors atm, never mind other people.
  • Psychotext 22 Jul 2021 16:56:21 70,558 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That would be surprisingly great. Sort of fits with Scotland's figures recently too.
  • hillbilly66 22 Jul 2021 16:57:32 3,466 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It kind of makes sense that the more aggressive a virus is the less it spreads. The asymptomatic nature of covid is what makes it a nightmare.
  • Psychotext 22 Jul 2021 17:04:42 70,558 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just looked at the age distribution in England. Basically the same as last week, so it's not schools closing that has made the difference.
  • SolidSCB 22 Jul 2021 17:09:53 16,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The fact that 600k people got 'pinged' (hate this already) probably helps some too. It's going to be interesting when we effectively say 'fuck the app' in a couple of weeks.
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 17:12:27 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wonder how many people actually took notice of it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 17:33:03 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think adherence has been pretty high despite the government’s best efforts.

Same with stuff like masks and social distancing. For all I was on the plague train this afternoon most places seem to be keeping all their previous rules in place.
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 17:35:16 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd be be amazed if it was high after a week of the tabloids saying the app is to blame for the entire pandemic.
  • Youthist 22 Jul 2021 17:39:47 14,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    39k today. Definitely starting to feel quite plateauy.
    I thought that, and got ripped to shreds. Maybe it was how I said it. /shrug
    Apart from the fact that this wasn’t anything like what you posted, you are correct.
  • Youthist 22 Jul 2021 17:44:09 14,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    PickledShogun wrote:
    @David_Richardson

If there's one certainty with the internet then it's that it breeds bullies, and this place is no exception. That said the likelihood of such a mindset expanding beyond these walls is highly unlikely, so for that we should be grateful.
    “Bullies”? Get over yourself ffs.
  • RunningWolf 22 Jul 2021 17:52:32 39 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @David_Richardson Very well said. I'm amazed at how quickly these discussions become politicised.

Also baffled by the constant doom-mongering/negativity on here. Some weird indulging of the situation. Surely that energy should be spent outside volunteering at vaccination clinics or something.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 18:03:55 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its almost as if ten of thousands of people have died and the best practice measures and behaviours to prevent further infection are being cast aside by politicians and members of the public
  • JamboWayOh 22 Jul 2021 18:10:07 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Its almost as if ten of thousands of people have died and the best practice measures and behaviours to prevent further infection are being cast aside by politicians and members of the public
    No, no you're just being negative or something Boris would say in Latin.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 18:10:54 22-07-2021
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 Jul 2021 18:13:31 33,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No-one ever focuses on the positive side of a deadly global pandemic, hopelessly managed by a corrupt government, these days.

Lighten up people!
  • SolidSCB 22 Jul 2021 18:19:27 16,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not exactly difficult to see why people are saying "When I see this is over I'll believe it" when we've been told this will all be over by last summer/last autumn/Christmas fakin Day/late Jan/by Spring/by this summer/insert arbitrary date here.
  • PickledShogun 22 Jul 2021 18:21:38 219 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    RunningWolf wrote:
    @David_Richardson Very well said. I'm amazed at how quickly these discussions become politicised.

Also baffled by the constant doom-mongering/negativity on here. Some weird indulging of the situation. Surely that energy should be spent outside volunteering at vaccination clinics or something.
    The indulgence for the worst possible case scenario is not that weird when you think about it.

For better or for worse the Brexit battle is lost so Covid has become the next best thing for laying the boot into "the plebs". You see it on here, on Twitter and on news sites everyday. It's so obvious that's it's become embarrassing. Covid has become a boon for these tossers and their ongoing crusade against what they see as the lower classes who they absolutely believe to be the root cause for all of the UK's ills.

Question is, once Covid has become less relevant I wonder what they'll turn to next as their virtual beating stick?
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 18:23:05 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's only one embarrassing thing I can see here.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Jul 2021 18:25:18 24,959 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PickledShogun wrote:
    RunningWolf wrote:

The indulgence for the worst possible case scenario is not that weird when you think about it.

For better or for worse the Brexit battle is lost so Covid has become the next best thing for laying the boot into "the plebs". You see it on here, on Twitter and on news sites everyday. It's so obvious that's it's become embarrassing. Covid has become a boon for these tossers and their ongoing crusade against what they see as the lower classes who they absolutely believe to be the root cause for all of the UK's ills.

Question is, once Covid has become less relevant I wonder what they'll turn to next as their virtual beating stick?
    What the fuck are you talking about?
  • Not-a-reviewer 22 Jul 2021 18:25:30 7,640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A combination of schools, heat, no football will all contribute to it, plus the millions currently isolating aren’t going to catch it.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.