Following Coronavirus Page 256

• Malek86 26 Mar 2020 17:18:20 10,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Daily contagions in Italy are back to day-on-day increase, so I guess we aren't out of the water yet. Doctors say they are expecting the peak before the end of the week, though. We'll see.

In other news, I'm going to be out of work until the 11th at the least (probably more), but my company have informed me that we should qualify for the emergency unemployment program. Doesn't sound like I should be out of a salary for next month either.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:19:01 26-03-2020
  • Frogofdoom 26 Mar 2020 17:27:17 16,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dgzter none of it is confirmed though, it's just net talk at the moment.
  • Cobalt_Jackal 26 Mar 2020 17:34:22 233 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All these convoluted, complex schemes and admin costs plus all the hoops one has to jump through, and all the red tape regarding who and who cannot claim this and that etc etc... Surely at this point it'd must be waaaaaay cheaper and easier to just give everyone UBI regardless??.. The Tories would rather die than ever authorise UBI though.
  • Malek86 26 Mar 2020 17:35:46 10,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    By the way, 14.000 new cases in the USA today. That's a whole damn lot, even taking into account the size of the country. America is about the feel the brunt of it.
  • richardiox 26 Mar 2020 17:37:29 8,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Daily contagions in Italy are back to day-on-day increase, so I guess we aren't out of the water yet. Doctors say they are expecting the peak before the end of the week, though. We'll see.

In other news, I'm going to be out of work until the 11th at the least (probably more), but my company have informed me that we should qualify for the emergency unemployment program. Doesn't sound like I should be out of a salary for next month either.
    Good news you've got a salary for a while longer.

As per discussion yesterday, at this point post whole country lockdown isn't it as important that the % growth in contagions slows down before hopeful reducing?

Like there's a day on day increase but is it at least less percentage wise than last week?

I kind of despair at the notion a lockdown doesn't affect the spread. It seems impossible.
  • Tonka 26 Mar 2020 17:39:47 30,818 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They'll overtake China any day now. America that is. Probably Italy too

Edited by Tonka at 17:40:19 26-03-2020
  • ZuluHero 26 Mar 2020 17:40:47 8,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fines & potential arrest in effect from the end of today;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52053527

People ignoring tougher restrictions on movement could be hit with a £60 fine initially and another for £120 for a second offence.

New powers given to police in England mean no-one will be allowed to leave their home "without reasonable excuse".

The measures come into force on Thursday and will last six months, with a review every three weeks.
    Edited by ZuluHero at 17:41:07 26-03-2020
  • Psychotext 26 Mar 2020 17:43:15 66,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd love to know how they've worked out that self employed people with more than £50k a year profit earn on average £200k a year.

• mothercruncher 26 Mar 2020 17:43:58 17,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís only been a few days kicking about at home and Iím looking at the weekend and thinking, well, itíll be exactly the same as this week has been really and... fuck me, Iím going a bit stir crazy already. A low level background panic at the indoor repetition stretching out before me...
  • nudistpete 26 Mar 2020 17:44:49 1,198 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Farley2k wrote:
    @RyanDS I am sorry. It just doesn't make sense to blame anyone. Was everyone in the family in full isolation? Probably not so no one person should have to feel blame but I bet they do.
    I'd completely agree here. Even if his son did infect him he's just as likely to have caught it doing a shop as getting it at the concert.
  • jimnastics 26 Mar 2020 17:46:25 1,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I'd love to know how they've worked out that self employed people with more than £50k a year profit earn on average £200k a year.

£200k was the average of that 5%, many will be way higher, and a lot will be nearer the £50k.

I feel lucky that I have at least been using up my tax free personal allowance every year, but the rest of my profit I pay myself in dividends from my limited company which (apparently) aren't included. But I can't grumble.

Edited by jimnastics at 17:47:31 26-03-2020
  • Psychotext 26 Mar 2020 17:50:23 66,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    £200k was the average of that 5%, many will be way higher, and a lot will be nearer the £50k.

I feel lucky that I have at least been using up my tax free personal allowance every year, but the rest of my profit I pay myself in dividends from my limited company which (apparently) aren't included. But I can't grumble.
    It's massively misleading. To do that you'd basically have to be including millionaires in the calculation along with some poor scrubs in London barely able to pay for their housing on those figures.

He's also outright penalised anyone that doesn't use tax avoidance techniques. Will be the last fucking year I do things "honestly", that's for sure.

Had I done what you do I'd be getting support right now. But like a mug I've tried to keep things straight up.
  • ZuluHero 26 Mar 2020 17:56:37 8,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He still pays tax on his dividends though and they won't count towards his money earned in the past few years for this scheme, so really he can only claim like 800 a month (80% of ~1000)?
  • jimnastics 26 Mar 2020 17:58:34 1,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    He still pays tax on his dividends though and they won't count towards his money earned in the past few years for this scheme, so really he can only claim like 800 a month (80% of ~1000)?
    Yep, that's around about my napkin maths I've done so far.
  • Psychotext 26 Mar 2020 17:58:45 66,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's the point, if your profit is over £50k a year average in the last 3 years, you get NOTHING. It's not scaled, you just can't claim.

Dividends don't count as part of your profit figure.

You also pay less tax total that way than if you'd taken the entire amount as profit. This rewards people with more money as poorer self employed people / people who got into debt starting their company can't just take minimum wage. But that's another argument.

So like I said, had I done it that way, I'd be getting support right now... instead of getting nothing. (I'm 2k average over the limit)

My fault, I'm a mug. I wont be from this point on. Everything is getting expensed, and every tax minimisation tactic will be used.

Edit - Plus of course, from now on they'll be trying to argue I need to pay even more via NI, despite not getting any sort of support this time around.

Edited by Psychotext at 18:02:20 26-03-2020
  • jimnastics 26 Mar 2020 18:02:47 1,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That's the point, if your profit is over £50k a year average in the last 3 years, you get NOTHING. It's not scaled, you just can't claim.

Dividends don't count as part of your profit figure.
    Yeah that's harsh, anyone averaging just over £50k and living in or around London has been shafted somewhat.
  • Malek86 26 Mar 2020 18:04:33 10,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @richardiox they did say that the curve is still slowing down a little bit, despite the higher number compared to yesterday. They also admitted that there might have been a lot of pent-up test results that just came out today.

Anyway, it's not great news, but it's not bad news either. It does look like the lockdown is working. I don't think, however, it's nearly as effective as it should be.

I still don't get how Italy is having so many deaths.
  • jimnastics 26 Mar 2020 18:05:04 1,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well fuck me, after all that it looks like people who pay themselves a salary and then the rest through dividends aren't being allowed onto this scheme, so that's me out.
  • Dirt3 26 Mar 2020 18:06:02 1,016 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I prefer Trumps plan of giving everyone a cheque for 1200 USD to cover immediate expenses.

At least everyone gets the same, and there isn't this stupid mish mash of some people being completely covered while others lose out.
  • ZuluHero 26 Mar 2020 18:06:46 8,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    its never as easy at they make it sound.
  • Dirt3 26 Mar 2020 18:09:26 1,016 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can kind of understand why it is difficult to do, because there are so many rules and different circumstances.

But it really hacks me off, because time and time again I seem to be at the bottom of the pile when the handouts are dished out. Everyone else seems to get them except me (sob).
  • Dirt3 26 Mar 2020 18:12:32 1,016 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @richardiox they did say that the curve is still slowing down a little bit, despite the higher number compared to yesterday. They also admitted that there might have been a lot of pent-up test results that just came out today.

Anyway, it's not great news, but it's not bad news either. It does look like the lockdown is working. I don't think, however, it's nearly as effective as it should be.

I still don't get how Italy is having so many deaths.
    I heard some bad news that they were worried it was migrating down south and that the hospitals there are much more poorly equipped.
  • Dirt3 26 Mar 2020 18:17:05 1,016 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does make you wonder...if you are in a limited company with a big corporation tax bill coming up and you have no assets and no ability to earn what do you do.
  • Psychotext 26 Mar 2020 18:17:41 66,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    From what I can tell, they want you to put your house up as collateral for a loan.
  • askew 26 Mar 2020 18:19:48 21,426 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not your primary residence, at least.

They'll have your savings, though.
  • Jono62 26 Mar 2020 18:20:37 25,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Over a hundred dead in the latest figures.
  • Dirt3 26 Mar 2020 18:21:34 1,016 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The limited company that turns out to be not so limited.
  • Dirt3 26 Mar 2020 18:29:10 1,016 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Any crisis, financial, pandemic, war, always eviserates the middle classes.

The working classes largely live hand to mouth. The upper class stash all theirs away.

The middle class are the only group that have anything to take.

Pension fund raid ahoy. Someone is going to have to pay for all this.
  • jimnastics 26 Mar 2020 18:31:56 1,823 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    That's quite a take.
    I'd combine today's with yesterday's for a more accurate picture, with the change in reporting.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.